Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repayment of Government levy

• 04-02-2016 12:44pm

So I've let my policy with Aviva auto-renew a few times but looking at a family policy this year so may change.

I got a call as my renewal is nearly up and the guy told me that if I allow it to renew and then don't cancel within 14 days I have to:

1. Pay €25 admin charge
    2. Pay back the government levy which they pay up front (€250+)

Firstly I think the admin charge is a bit of a joke. But surely if I'm changing to a different insurer I shouldn't have to pay the levy again?

Is this normal now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

The levy is actually billed to the insurer, to cut a long explanation very short, if you don't cancel within the cooling off period then take out a second plan with a different insurer you can't have the cost of the levy deducted from your premium.

Aviva will let you move to a different/cheaper plan mid term though.

The problem with this however is that my wife and my renewals are 6 months apart. I want to move her and our two kids onto one plan with me, but we'll end up forking out 160+ to cover the cost of a levy we'll then end up paying again.

Bit of a joke imo, done in such a way as to make it more expensive and less desirable to cancel mid policy.

Advertisement