Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension from the Master Socket

Options
  • 04-02-2016 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently a customer of Virgin Media and I'm looking at ditching them. My main boundary here is that the master socket is located in the front hall beside the staircase and I'd need an extension socket wired in a tidy manner upstairs, without spending a fortune. I had previously heard that when a customer signs up and the engineer comes out to put in a new master socket (the existing one was put in when the house was built in 1998 and dons the Telecom Éireann logo), which I haven't used since I moved in 2012, that they can extend or relocate it to somewhere more desirable in the house? Even if there's a charge, I'd like to investigate the possibilities here. If this wasn't an issue, I'd have left Virgin Media ages ago, as I'm sick of their anti-customer bull and if you look over in their Talk To forum, I'm far from the only one - with the new price increase and service cutbacks being the main issues and the woeful customer service being another.

The socket is literally beside the staircase and the room upstairs I'd want to route the cable or extension socket to is the furthest away from the landing - but the house isn't that wide anyway, but there are a couple of doors the cable would need to be routed over.

I'm useless when it comes to DIY so I'd muck it up if I tried. Wiring the sockets would be fine. It's the cabling itself that's the issue for me because I know I'll end up half-assing it somehow.

Please let me know what can be done here as I'm eager to make a decision soon, as my deadline is February 23rd.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently a customer of Virgin Media and I'm looking at ditching them. My main boundary here is that the master socket is located in the front hall beside the staircase and I'd need an extension socket wired in a tidy manner upstairs, without spending a fortune. I had previously heard that when a customer signs up and the engineer comes out to put in a new master socket (the existing one was put in when the house was built in 1998 and dons the Telecom Éireann logo), which I haven't used since I moved in 2012, that they can extend or relocate it to somewhere more desirable in the house? Even if there's a charge, I'd like to investigate the possibilities here. If this wasn't an issue, I'd have left Virgin Media ages ago, as I'm sick of their anti-customer bull and if you look over in their Talk To forum, I'm far from the only one - with the new price increase and service cutbacks being the main issues and the woeful customer service being another.

The socket is literally beside the staircase and the room upstairs I'd want to route the cable or extension socket to is the furthest away from the landing - but the house isn't that wide anyway, but there are a couple of doors the cable would need to be routed over.

I'm useless when it comes to DIY so I'd muck it up if I tried. Wiring the sockets would be fine. It's the cabling itself that's the issue for me because I know I'll end up half-assing it somehow.

Please let me know what can be done here as I'm eager to make a decision soon, as my deadline is February 23rd.
    Hi DECEiFER

Thanks for considering eir as a provider :)

I would like to be transparent from the outset though, I can confirm that unfortunately eir no longer arrange internal wiring and this also means eir engineers no longer relocate the master socket from it's current position. I can understand any disappointment with this news however it's a rather small job for an electrician and definitely not too complicated. The best advice i can offer is to get a couple of quotes from local electricians and go with the cheapest.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Thanks. I'll look into it. It's a pity, though, although maybe an insurance risk for you but convenient for the customer for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll look into it. It's a pity, though, although maybe an insurance risk for you but convenient for the customer for sure.
    Cheers DECEiFER

I'm sorry I can't offer you better news

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

Hi , I have eircode master socket in porch and various extentions built in throughout house. I understand eircomm won't move them. If I change face of master socket to one of the extensions, would this effect eircom e fibre broadband if I avail of it. Thank you for ant help in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi allanpkr,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Yes,  it would I'm afraid. 

The master socket is the termination unit as first network access point to the house and as such eir equipment. However, there are data extension ports we provide. 

I would recommend contacting our technical support team on 189 0260 260 or freephone 1901 and they will be able to explore all options with you.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Advertisement
Advertisement