Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which partys?

Options
  • 04-02-2016 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Just wondering which parties we should be thinking of voting

or more importantly does anyone have a list of questions we should be asking the canvassers coming to our homes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If we could all not vote for Finian McGrath and Michael Healy-Rae, that'd be nice.
    (Yes, MHR. Anyone who acts the way he does is not on our side).
    Beyond that, we don't have any real party-level needs at the moment from the shooting point of view.
    And to be blunt about it, on a general election front, there are probably bigger issues even for shooters. The FCP is up and running, the various other thing committed to by the Minister are all publicly committed to (and the new Minister does not overrule the old Minister on the first week in the job, it's not the Done Thing).
    There are definitely people I *wouldn't* vote for on the basis of the shooting stuff, but at party level, not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mick65cm

Sparks wrote: »
    If we could all not vote for Finian McGrath and Michael Healy-Rae, that'd be nice.
    (Yes, MHR. Anyone who acts the way he does is not on our side).
    Beyond that, we don't have any real party-level needs at the moment from the shooting point of view.
    And to be blunt about it, on a general election front, there are probably bigger issues even for shooters. The FCP is up and running, the various other thing committed to by the Minister are all publicly committed to (and the new Minister does not overrule the old Minister on the first week in the job, it's not the Done Thing).
    There are definitely people I *wouldn't* vote for on the basis of the shooting stuff, but at party level, not so much.

I know about McGrath and his english road signs.

I think sinn fein have a anti-bllood sport policy. But I'll be asking there canvassers anyway.

googled and this

sinn fein seem to be against hunting

looking at that page my local sinn feiner said shes against consuming animals and against any bloodsports.

not allowed to post the address because new user but if you google sin fein anti hunting you will see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Won't be voting for any of the main parties in any case myself - sticking to independents; For better or worse we need a decent proportion of the seats to be with people who don't have a whip to keep them under control. Things as they are aren't ever going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

mick65cm wrote: »
    googled and this

looking at that page my local sinn feiner said shes against consuming animals and against any bloodsports.

not allowed to post the address because new user but if you google sin fein anti hunting you will see it

Maybe they are leaving it up to each canditate?any of the SF rs I've approached have been very supportive of shooting sports[Ok que the wisecracks!:p ] on the national and EU level.
    Our anti friends over on banbloodsports.com have a nice list of all the sitting politicansin the last Dail and their statements on animal welfare,etc. Worth a look.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Spread this image on your Facebook pages and other social media services
    right click and save image

Finian%20McGrath%20ban%20him_zpsd6rwlz5j.png

Should add to that pic.
    Used fake evidence to try and villify Irish gunowners in a Govt inquiry!
    Got it??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

mick65cm wrote: »
    googled and this

Don't think that the party stance is anti "bloodsports" since Martin McGuinness himself is openly involved in fly fishing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Everything i've read says they are most definitely anti fieldsports (won't dignify the use of the other B word).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Finian can swing for my vote. Hoping he retires this year. Seems anything he says, he embarrasses himself.

I wouldn't bring up anything about firearms, because they will have forgotten about it by the time they reach the next door bell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Cass wrote: »
    Everything i've read says they are most definitely anti fieldsports (won't dignify the use of the other B word).
    Add your reply here.
    Yeah they voted to ban them at 09 Ard Fheis and its official party policy. They are gone Communist anyway got to love their 70% tax rate for over 100k; shooting is elitist to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

So, I missed Finian calling to my door, I was out. Shame, I was all ready to tackle him on his anti-firearms stance. He did shove a large 4 page leaflet through the letterbox - no mention of firearms and just a very brief mention that he sat on the Justice Committee. Maybe he has realized that there are a large number of licensed firearms owners in the Dublin Bay North constituency and that he might risk losing votes if he keeps banging that drum?

Never forget,Never forgive an anti gun politican or party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Let's take it the other way around; For a politician to get the support of the "shooting lobby" what changes & measures would they have to support and or implement?
    Asking for a "friend" ;-)

not that I speak for everyone. but for me anyway Id like a party to not blur lines between me and criminals with guns.... support us for reloading and push to have a level playing field for everyone.... why is people in one district able to licence a certain firearm with no questions asked but my ssuper doesnt like that model of gun so i have a court case to get it.

other than that anything else Id ask for would be too unrealistic and never happen, but Id be very happy with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Had 2 canvassers from one of the bigger parties on the doorstep the other day. So I asked them what was their party's stance on civilian firearm ownership. You want to have heard them trying to suss out where I was coming from before committing to an answer:D When they couldn't get anything out of me they gave me some guff about not being familiar with the issue and suggesting I contact their justice spokesperson. Justice I asked, surely their Sports spokesperson was more appropriate? Oh yes, him too, as they hurriedly made their excuses and headed for the next house on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

378144.jpg

The three TDs who have formed Ireland's newest political party, the Social Democrats, are all in favour of a ban on bloodsports. In the past two years, Stephen Donnelly, Roisin Shortall and Catherine Murphy have voted in favour of legislation amendments which sought to ban foxhunting and hare coursing.

http://www.banbloodsports.com/ln150715.htm

Social Democrats...An oxymoron if there ever was one!:rolleyes:

Problem is, "ban bloodsports" is such an easy thing for Joe Public to think is a good thing. Aw, the cuddly widdle animals.
    Things like actual ecological balances, nonintuitive realities, problems that don't have a good solution just a choice between bad ones -- these things are too complex for election campaigns. ICABS capitalise on that. There's very little chance stuff can backfire on them (until someone looks at ALF or other such fun things and there's very little factchecking in an election cycle).

It's what happens after the election that's the important bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

as far as im aware Sf are for banning all guns( effectually) this is because lets face it they cant be seen to support less restrictive "gun" ownership for obvious reasons. The media would have a field day

As much as i hate FF and FG, they would be less restrictive on farmers owning firearms. That said i know most here arent farmers but...

i would say greens are more worried about you leaving brass all over the place.

Generally left wings politicians are worst for us.

i will be voting for strong right wing independents .

as for Finian McGrath. At the risk of sounding like im bullying him - im disappointed im not in his area , because i would be delighted to tell him that in no uncertain terms , that he would never get my vote and that i will be filling my ballot paper 1-19 and leaving his name blank (20 candidates ). I will be going to the count centers but not his one. I would have been delighted to see him lose his seat ( i would hope)
    saying that they have fúcked his area when they moved the boundaries, so i wouldnt be betting on how safe he is.
    a friend of mine who lives in his area is looking forward to him canvasing his house to tell him he doesn't represent him.

As for the healy raes. They may be bad at representing firearms owners but they may be in a position of power in the next government to prop up a fg ff or fg lab government , we could count on them to reject further restrictions imo

• Advertisement

Seems early exit polls indicate a rise for FF, SF and some other smaller parties with heavy losses for FG & Lab.

Make me wonder who the hell votes for SF. Forget the shooting stuff as it's only relevant to 100,000+ of us. All the other stuff they have said during the campaign and people still think they are the way forward!
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Cass wrote: »
    Seems early exit polls indicate a rise for FF, SF and some other smaller parties with heavy losses for FG & Lab.

Make me wonder who the hell votes for SF. Forget the shooting stuff as it's only relevant to 100,000+ of us. All the other stuff they have said during the campaign and people still think they are the way forward!

I don't think it's that people think sf are the way forward, it's that they think ffglab are not the way forward.

Completely agree.

Standing in the booth yesterday i was looking at the options and not one made me go "they are one(s) that are best for us".

All i know is between the outgoing governments austerity measures, water charges (even after the 1997 act), etc. FF getting us here in the first place, and the record of the other parties when given the smallest iota of power (remember the Greens) i was begging for something else, but knew it was not going to be there.

One of the more depressing experiences, that. A list of candidates as long as my arm (literally) and going down through them thinking "nope, nope, nope, not if I was on fire, nope, nope, are you fscking kidding me?, nope, nope, doesn't even live here, nope, nope..."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

For the first time ever, i just drove by the polling station. Not a single candidate could I put my name to. Very disappointed.

See Healy-Rae got his seat back (no surprise).

Only glimmer of good news is McGrath may miss out, but its unlikely. He is a a four way race for the remaining three seats in Dublin north.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

bpb101 wrote: »
    as far as im aware Sf are for banning all guns( effectually) this is because lets face it they cant be seen to support less restrictive "gun" ownership for obvious reasons. The media would have a field day

As much as i hate FF and FG, they would be less restrictive on farmers owning firearms. That said i know most here arent farmers but...

i would say greens are more worried about you leaving brass all over the place.

Generally left wings politicians are worst for us.

i will be voting for strong right wing independents .

where exactly did you hear or read that part about SF?
    they are hugely supportive of farmers owning firearms in my own experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Out of twenty candidates only one came to my village, a saddening experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

davycc wrote: »
    where exactly did you hear or read that part about SF?
    they are hugely supportive of farmers owning firearms in my own experience :)
    their website ( i heard it(similar things) somewhere else, but here is a good as link as any)

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/16654
    he thinks we are for it too
    Sinn Féin Justice Spokesperson Aengus Ó Snodaigh TD has said the Criminal Justice Bill 2009 will not address gangland crime but represents a welcome development in terms of prudent gun control. Deputy Ó Snodaigh said the Bill will help prevent the development of a gun culture in Ireland while ensuring that Ireland continues to be proudly represented by talented target shooters at Olympic type events into the future.
    Speaking at Committee stage of the Bill Deputy Ó Snodaigh said, “The new firearms provisions contained in this Bill will not address gangland crime but they do represent a welcome development in terms of prudent gun control.
    “The Bill bans high calibre handguns while allowing lower calibre handguns for use in sports recognised by the Olympic Committee to continue to be licensed. I believe both the sporting tradition and the public at large should welcome this Bill.
    “I am proposing a number of amendments including that any future further prohibitions of firearms types by the Minister be brought before the Oireachtas Justice Committee so that the implications, if any, for sporting activities can be properly considered and debated in advance.
    “By banning high calibre handguns and the so-called sports involving combat based simulations and by introducing a more comprehensive and effective licensing regime for all other firearms this Bill will help prevent the development of a gun culture and perhaps reduce the shameful instances of Irish people acting as mercenaries and interfering with democratic processes abroad while ensuring that Ireland continues to be proudly represented by talented target shooters at Olympic type events into the future.
    “In addition I called on the Minister today to investigate the potential for forensic testing and recording of licensed firearms in the future and the possibility of pursuing a measure at EU level for the mandatory GPS chipping of firearms during the manufacturing stage.” ENDS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 btalt

Martin Hayden FG in Kildare has openly supported gun sports and even visited harbour house range on his campaign travels

Advertisement