Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strowman's role at WrestleMania (potential spoilers)

• 04-02-2016 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

So there is a big focus on Braun Strowman right now any many people are speculating he'll be the Undertaker's opponent at WrestleMania, despite being probably the least interesting person on the roster (apart from being a member of the Wyatt Family). As far as I know he has never being pinned or submitted, so he is protected better than anyone else in the roster (which shows that wins and losses really matter when it's someone Vince really likes).

Vince's idea seems to be that he can be a monster heel, but honestly he isn't that big. He's smaller than the Undertaker so how can he be built as a monster against him? Even Ryback would be better.

Some people are comparing him to Giant Gonzalez who faced the Undertaker at WrestleMania 9, which was probably the closest Undertaker's streak came to ending before 2014 (what a waste that would have been). When I was a child and kinda thought it was real, I was just in awe because of the sheer size of this guy and his look. I wasn't thinking about whether he could have great matches. So I can see the value of characters like him towards kids even if they suck in the ring - but can Strowman be like that? At least Gonzalez was a freak of nature and much taller than the Undertaker. Strowman just feels like another guy who was lucky enough to be given a slot in the Wyatt Family.

Then there is the absurdity of having possibly two members of the Wyatt Family in big matches at WrestleMania when Undertaker and Kane continually slaughtered all four members during their November feud and at their match in Survivor Series. It didn't make sense at the time and it doesn't make sense now. If the Wyatt's had won that match, it would have got them good heat for spoiling the Undertaker's anniversary and would give Undertaker a reason to look for revenge. The only explanation is that they weren't planning the Wyatts to be in big matches at WrestleMania but they changed their mind after Cena's injury forced them to change plans - hard to believe they would be that short-sighted though. As it is there is no reason for Strowman to face Undertaker because the faces already got their revenge at Survivor Series.

So what do people think of Braun Strowman being in a big match at WrestleMania? Has Vince lost his mind? Or is there method to his madness, particularly with regard to young fans?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

He is far far too Green (not that that means it won't happen)

In total he has had 26 televised matches in his entire career and only 5 of those were singles matches so it isn't really surprising that he hasn't been pinned or submitted but I would also hope the fact that WWE haven't used him more perhaps means they too don't think he is ready to be used more.

I guess the worry is however that the amount of Injuries they have had means that their plans are out the window for many big matches and maybe someone like Strowman will be used for the spectacle that would be the match (not that any fans actually want to see it) to fill the gap. If not for the injuries for example it'd be Cena vs Taker or who knows maybe Sting vs Taker etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Haven't seen enough of Strowman to really critic him. But something that jumps out at me is the easily made comparison between him and Harper.

No doubt Strowman is a brick sh*thouse but so are the other guys in the Wyatt family. I'd back Bray as a future star if I was to invest stock in a Wyatt but Harper also oozes talent, skill and size. From what is seen Braun seems completely cumbersome and slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

It seems to me that Taker has only got a few appearances left him, be a shame to waste a Wrestlemania appearance no less, on someone so green an uninteresting really. And I say that as a fan of the Wyatts.

Nothing wrong with Taker putting over someone up and coming, but let it be Finn, or KO or someone like that. And if you're not going to put Taker up against someone a bit younger then it has to be a marquee name like Cena or Sting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The more I think about it, the more I think the idea the LAW crew came up with makes the most sense....Brock/Taker vs The Wyatts.

NO ONE wants to see Taker vs Strowman, and the reality is there's not many people left that Taker could have a good match with, all things considered. A tag match means he doesn't need to be as involved, but still gets all the main spots with Stowman they'd want to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I think the idea the LAW crew came up with makes the most sense....Brock/Taker vs The Wyatts.

NO ONE wants to see Taker vs Strowman, and the reality is there's not many people left that Taker could have a good match with, all things considered. A tag match means he doesn't need to be as involved, but still gets all the main spots with Stowman they'd want to do.

I saw that being talked about but After the Survivor Series squash that was Taker/Kane vs The Wyatts I don't wanna see Brock & Taker squash them again even if they actually make it officially all 4 in the match this time.

Just give Kevin Owens a shot at Taker. Ambrose can face AJ and immediately you have two matches that'd interest me far more than the potential Brock/Bray & HHH/Reigns matches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't see anything in Strowman. All he has going for him is his size. He does not ooze menace at all. I think Vince is crazy to want Strowman as Taker's opponent and I think Taker would be very foolish to go along with it.

I had hoped Cena would make a trademark superhuman recovery and be Taker's opponent but it doesn't look likely now.

The real tragedy is they have a super heel in NXT with years of experience who can deliver a great match with Taker at Mania. His name is Samoa Joe. They could have debuted him at the Rumble and had him dominate guys week after week leading to the big Undertaker match.

I think Strowman long-term will go the way of the likes of Snitsky, Heydenreich and so on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Can Strowman bump? I imagine the guy behind the persona can but i mean the actual Character.

Taker can't bump for him so would they just spend the whole match no selling each other?

WWE needs a new Shield, a group that are credible so they could use Vets like Taker in a tag match that people want to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

DM_7 wrote: »
    WWE needs a new Shield, a group that are credible so they could use Vets like Taker in a tag match that people want to see.

This is the type of place where Balor Club fits in WWE

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I can't take him seriously. His face looks like a baby with a huge beard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Angron wrote: »
    I can't take him seriously. His face looks like a baby with a huge beard.

I always see this

CWy0rs3WcAAHqCK.jpg

Its like the time someone ruined summer by mentioning Mr Burns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I reckon he'll face Cena at 'Mania and
    Cena Wins, LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

DM_7 wrote: »
    Can Strowman bump? I imagine the guy behind the persona can but i mean the actual Character.

Taker can't bump for him so would they just spend the whole match no selling each other?

Lesnar floored him in the Rumble.

Agree with MRN that this guy is going nowhere. Probably comedy skits in his future like Khali.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Once someone pins him, knocks him down or makes him submit, that'll be it. I doubt he'll last until the end of the year. It'll be probably Big Show KO punch. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

A barely held together Cena and Taker vs the Wyatts including Strowman. Taker gets killed, Cena just about scrapes out a win and they have a bit of a stare down in the ring,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would honestly rather see the Great Khali come back outta retirement for a one off match with Taker at Mania then Strowman vs. Taker, Punjabi Playboy>Strowman.

Advertisement