Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Maths Grade Worries

Options
  • 04-02-2016 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi,

I completed my leaving cert in a plc college in 2013 and I got a D1 in ordinary level maths,
    After that I did a years sound production course in which i recieved 6 distinctions, and now I am on a level 6 media production course.

The course I really want to move on to do next is Creative Music production in IADT and the entry requirement for maths is stated as :

• Leaving Certificate Examination (or equivalent) with a minimum of grade O3 (at Ordinary Level) in five subjects which must include Mathematics and English. Foundation Level Maths is not acceptable.
    the thing is im not really sure what they mean by minimum of o3? is anybody able to clarify for me?

Also as I am now 25 I ticked the mature student box on the cao, when applying, how will this effect my application?

Thanks in Advance
    Sean

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you look down the bottom of this link, it has a table showing how the old and new grades compare.

According to that, an O3 is the same as a B2 or B3 on the old system.

Since you are a Mature applicant, you may be eligible to have some of the entry requirements waived - you would have to contact the college and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

Thanks for the reply spurious.

to further add to the confusion I have found this page on the IADT website:

http://www.iadt.ie/en/ProspectiveStudents/HowtoApply/2017LeavingCertificateGradingChanges/

According to this the requirements for maths are O6, which according to the chart translates into a D2 or 3, My D1 is 05, so i should be okay?

Would it be a good idea to email IADT for clarification?

The course code is DL704

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That link you posted makes it clear that for IADT your grade is fine. Good luck with the application.

Advertisement