Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir bother fixing exchanges anymore?

Options
  • 04-02-2016 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭

My exchange is in Pallaskenry. 
    I rang Eir technical support in October i believe to complain about the level of broadband speeds i was receiving. Eir maps were saying i was going to be upgraded last year as well that never panned out.

Anyhow my complaint was my internet speeds would drop to 1meg after 4 o clock every evening. Eir tech least admitted to me there was a fault at the exchange and it will need  to be fixed. Heard nothing back since. I was expecting a few weeks here to fix- roll on three months + later nothing doing.

Looking at their map today my area is down for an upgrade within 6 months now. I know my neighbour's are having the same issues as i have, chatted with them about it, and they told me its a joke

Is it the Policy of Eir to not fix exchanges faults on time and does that not break your contract with me to provide a good service? Eir bills are increasing for me but i don't see any improvement in their service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

My exchange is in Pallaskenry. 
    I rang Eir technical support in October i believe to complain about the level of broadband speeds i was receiving. Eir maps were saying i was going to be upgraded last year as well that never panned out.

Anyhow my complaint was my internet speeds would drop to 1meg after 4 o clock every evening. Eir tech least admitted to me there was a fault at the exchange and it will need  to be fixed. Heard nothing back since. I was expecting a few weeks here to fix- roll on three months + later nothing doing.

Looking at their map today my area is down for an upgrade within 6 months now. I know my neighbour's are having the same issues as i have, chatted with them about it, and they told me its a joke

Is it the Policy of Eir to not fix exchanges faults on time and does that not break your contract with me to provide a good service? Eir bills are increasing for me but i don't see any improvement in their service.
    Hi Cheerful Spring

Sorry to hear of your speed deterioration's - I've had a good look in to this and spoke with networks team who can confirm there is no fault in your exchange. Unfortunately as the Pallaskenry exchange is not upgraded to Next Gen broadband (NGB) congestion will be expected basically meaning that at times of high use of broadband in your general area the speeds will be expected to slow down - this is ultimately one of the main reasons why the term (up to) is uses in the t&C's of eir broadband and also in advertising campaigns of eir broadband. Unfortunately this will be expected until the exchange is upgraded and at this moment in time no improvements to this will be expected until fibre comes.

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Why is Eir advertising those speeds on your websites and elsewhere if you network in unable to deliver?Are you not false advertising speeds you can't provide  and readily admit can't provide.

1meg from 4pm to 12pm at 34 Euros not over the top? 

Eir needs to realise its 2016 not 1990 

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01/fcc-chair-broadband-must-be-25mbps-and-isps-are-failing-to-deliver/

Eircom broadband standards are extremely poor. 

Eir tech support told me on the phone it a fault issue.You tell me something different i take your word for it.

Why congestion would be an issue now not sure when my internet was fine 6months ago. Aren't new people joining Eir moving from Asdl to fibre why is the signal getting worse then?

Why is Eir advertising those speeds on your websites and elsewhere if you network in unable to deliver?Are you not false advertising speeds you can't provide  and readily admit can't provide.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01/fcc-chair-broadband-must-be-25mbps-and-isps-are-failing-to-deliver/

Eir tech support told me on the phone it a fault issue.You tell me something different i take your word for it.

Why congestion would be an issue now not sure when my internet was fine 6months ago. Aren't new people joining Eir moving from Asdl to fibre why is the signal getting worse then?
    Hi Cheerful Spring

I understand your views however as I mentioned - this is one of the reasons the term 'up to' is used in advertising and providing broadband. I can assure you that this is not false advertising but if you have concerns I can only recommend contacting the relevant trading authority or comreg.

The link you provided is in reference to broadband in the USA - and it's referring to a proposal and not the actual regulations.

I'm sorry I can't offer you better news cheerful spring.

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

eir: Alan wrote: »

Hi Cheerful Spring

I understand your views however as I mentioned - this is one of the reasons the term 'up to' is used in advertising and providing broadband. I can assure you that this is not false advertising but if you have concerns I can only recommend contacting the relevant trading authority or comreg.

The link you provided is in reference to broadband in the USA - and it's referring to a proposal and not the actual regulations.

Al
    Well I disagree. My broadband package was for 7megs and i get 1 and my line can handle 6. The issue it not my line its your network. 

Eir should be charging a reasonable price for up to then? 

Instead your charging people the price for 7megs

Eir my have legal backing. But who purchases broadband of you? Eir should be trying to help customers not putting them off doing business with you.

Eir management still in the dark ages it seems still. Anyway thanks for the replies.

eir: Alan wrote: »

Hi Cheerful Spring

Al
    Well I disagree. My broadband package was for 7megs and i get 1 and my line can handle 6. The issue it not my line its your network. 

Eir should be charging a reasonable price for up to then? 

Instead your charging people the price for 7megs

Eir my have legal backing. But who purchases broadband of you? Eir should be trying to help customers not putting them off doing business with you.

Eir management still in the dark ages it seems still. Anyway thanks for the replies.
    No problem Cheerful Spring - Just to be clear I do wish I could offer better news,

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement