Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there no concerts in Thomond Park

• 04-02-2016 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

As Bruce Springsteen announces two concerts in Dublin today,
    why are there no concerts in Thomond Park anymore?

I suppose there's zero chance of him returning to Limerick?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would love for him to come back and do another concert in Limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I think King John's Castle is the new venue for limerick now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think King John's Castle is the new venue for limerick now

The castle wouldn't hold a 1/3 of what Thomond Park would hold. Both might be concert venues but are not really in competition with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Cost and demand, I'd imagine. You'd want a megastar to be able to sell out Thomond Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Thomond Park is what 33,000 for concerts.
    King John's Castle is - 2,000ish.

Need someone like Springsteen alright to be worth it down here. Awful pity after the last time that he isn't playing again. No concert the last time in Dublin though so probably one reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I seen Kasabian in the Milk market two years ago, tiny venue but the atmosphere was amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

There's no demand. Limerick is a small Irish city. Wouldn't be worth concert goers having to travel and find expensive accommodation. He can hold more in Dublin if he has a certain amount of Irish concerts he wants to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Elemonator wrote: »
    There's no demand. Limerick is a small Irish city. Wouldn't be worth concert goers having to travel and find expensive accommodation. He can hold more in Dublin if he has a certain amount of Irish concerts he wants to do.

Yes, you're right. He only played sold out gigs in Belfast, Cork, Limerick and Kilkenny (two gigs) in 2013. And with accommodation being so expensive in Limerick, Dublin is certainly value for money for all concert goers be they from Dublin or not. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Rod Stewart is playing Kilkenny - which is a smaller city. All the hotel rooms are booked out there already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

There's a large regional demand though. What's the population within 1 hour of the city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

If there was a demand for these concerts then the promoters would put them on. simple as.
    They are in the business of making money. If they think they can sell out Thomond Park twice a year then they will do just that. If they don't think they can sell it out then they won't take the risk.

If there was a demand for these concerts then the promoters would put them on. simple as.
    They are in the business of making money. If they think they can sell out Thomond Park twice a year then they will do just that. If they don't think they can sell it out then they won't take the risk.

The problem is to sell out Thomond Park you need a massive act that can pull in 33,000 people. The way a promoter looks at it is of the act is big enough to sell out Thomond park then it is probably big enough to sell out Croke Park. One stage set up with nearly triple the attendance.

Have only seen one gig in Croke Park and one in Thomond Park and Thomond park for me was far better as everyone is nice and close but you still get the big stadium feel.

It's the acts that play the likes of the RDS that should be targeting Thomond Park. Between Cork, Limerick, Galway, Tipperary, Waterford, Kerry and Clare you are looking at what 1.1 million people. That's a pretty big catchment.

Acts that would suit Thomond Park, Ed Sheeran, Michael Buble, Beyoncé, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Rhianna, The Script, Coldplay. Most of them have been filling bigger stadiums so it has been pointless to have them in Thomond park from a promoters point of view bar Springsteen as he did a Irelamd wide tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

A midsized events arena in the city centre with a capacity of around 5/6,000 would be desirable. Thomond Park is too large for anything other than a major International act and gigs there are restricted to the summer months anyhow.

The likes of the UCH, Lime Tree, Dolans, Milk Market are all fine venues in their own right but their capacities are limited. Back around 10 years ago a purpose built arena was mooted for the docks area but that was never really a runner.

Cork has stolen a march now with construction of a new events centre in the heart of the city about to get underway shortly.

Vanquished wrote: »
    A midsized events arena in the city centre with a capacity of around 5/6,000 would be desirable. Thomond Park is too large for anything other than a major International act and gigs there are restricted to the summer months anyhow.

The likes of the UCH, Lime Tree, Dolans, Milk Market are all fine venues in their own right but their capacities are limited. Back around 10 years ago a purpose built arena was mooted for the docks area but that was never really a runner.

Cork has stolen a march now with construction of a new events centre in the heart of the city about to get underway shortly.

Isn't the Cleeves Factory being earmarked as a large conference centre? The Council seem to be dragging their heels though. No surprise there really. That could easily double up as a major gig venue.

zulutango wrote: »
    Isn't the Cleeves Factory being earmarked as a large conference centre? The Council seem to be dragging their heels though. No surprise there really. That could easily double up as a major gig venue.

Apparently so but given the council's record we'll be waiting years for any concrete proposals for the site. I'm not confident that the necessary vision exists within the local authority to deliver such a project.

It's a valuable site though and is suitable for a number of uses. I'd like to see a residential element beside the bridge.

Could even have pushed them numbers up another couple of thousand. The 3arena attracts some big named gigs to it including comedians, WWE and other live events like the Darts and X factor, could chalk that up to the lure of Dublin that a venue which at most has 14,500 with seated and standing but is 9,500 with just seated but I'm sure the demand within Munster and surrounding areas like Galway, Kilkenny and Portlaoise would have been big enough to build something like that in Limerick.

Could even have pushed them numbers up another couple of thousand. The 3arena attracts some big named gigs to it including comedians, WWE and other live events like the Darts and X factor, could chalk that up to the lure of Dublin that a venue which at most has 14,500 with seated and standing but is 9,500 with just seated but I'm sure the demand within Munster and surrounding areas like Galway, Kilkenny and Portlaoise would have been big enough to build something like that in Limerick.

Kilkenny and Portlaoise are both closer to Dublin than Limerick.
    Promoters just aren't going to take the chance, it's not worth their while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

There's no demand. Limerick is a small Irish city. Wouldn't be worth concert goers having to travel and find expensive accommodation. .

And accommodation in Dublin isn't expensive? Add in being stuck in traffic for an hour to drive 15km into the city, no thanks. Give me Limerick any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

I really don't see the demand for such a venue. How often would it be realistically filled?
    zulutango wrote: »
    Isn't the Cleeves Factory being earmarked as a large conference centre?

Yeah I've heard that but I really think access would be a huge problem, the roads around it are narrow and residential. Traffic would be a nightmare throughout the city.
    Apparently so but given the council's record we'll be waiting years for any concrete proposals for the site. I'm not confident that the necessary vision exists within the local authority to deliver such a project.

It's a valuable site though and is suitable for a number of uses. I'd like to see a residential element beside the bridge.

I'm not sure how fair that is. The council have, through their InnovateLimerick arm, spearheaded the creation of Troy film studios. As far as I know they did all the running for this project. They bought the building, approached Ardmore Studios, and just last week approved a huge loan to get the company started. Builders have moved in and the first production is expected to begin this year.

They also acted very quickly when that factory closed in Rathkeale. They moved in and created an innovation centre and now the site employs more people than before it closed.

And in LEDP in Roxboro they have built a huge business start-up incubator that will presumably foster a lot of new companies.

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote: »
    I really don't see the demand for such a venue. How often would it be realistically filled?

Well, maybe Limerick could attract major international conferences to the city. I'd imagine the west of Ireland is attractive so why couldn't Limerick put its hand up and say we're open for business. I've been to some big conferences around the world and they're always in holiday-type destinations because they're basically a booze up for corporate types. I really see no reason why Limerick couldn't get onto the circuit.
    Yeah I've heard that but I really think access would be a huge problem, the roads around it are narrow and residential. Traffic would be a nightmare throughout the city.

There's good access to Condell Road and from there to the tunnel and the motorway network, so it would be fine I think.

If they do decide to build a big conference venue, then perhaps they should consider the idea of putting the controversial footbridge across the Shannon between O'Callaghan Strand and Howley's Quay rather than where it's proposed. It wouldn't be nearly as controversial a location and it would actually have a purpose!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I wish there was more acts in The Milk Market to be honest. International indie acts rarely venture outside Dublin on their tours. The Marquee always draws a few big stars and now Galway is starting to aswell. John Grant and The National played up there in the last 2 years.

Its the same Irish acts here every few months. :-(

I'm not sure how fair that is. The council have, through their InnovateLimerick arm, spearheaded the creation of Troy film studios. As far as I know they did all the running for this project. They bought the building, approached Ardmore Studios, and just last week approved a huge loan to get the company started. Builders have moved in and the first production is expected to begin this year.....

To be fair Ardmore were very much scouting for further production space so it's not like the council convinced them to take a massive leap of faith or anything. That old Dell facility was used for some events during the City of Culture year also so it's adaptability and flexibility was established and that's what sparked the discussion on its potential for future use. Yes the councils economic arm took the initiative to secure the building but then again that is their remit to identify strategic opportunities and promote investment.

Unfortunately there are a litany of examples of inertia on their behalf; The upgrade of O'Connell Street (25 years in the making) and other city centre streets, "opera centre" site (5 years since they bought it), redevelopment of Arthurs Quay, derelict sites in the market area etc etc.

This wouldn't just be an arena for Limerick. There is a large population in the city hinterland and regionally. There is no such facility on the entire western seaboard. A 5/6,000 capacity is modest and achievable. Having a purpose built arena opens up the opportunity to bring events and performers to the city that could not have been facilitated previously.

Access is a non-issue as well. The site is right beside a major arterial route which provides a connection to all national routes serving the city. We need to stop obsessing about parking also. There are a multitude of car parks a short stroll away across the river. Park and ride facilities could be set up on the outskirts of the city too. With a bit of ambition this could become a reality and provide a further boost to the city economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Limerick has had several big acts put on successful gigs here in recent year - I don't get the argument that there is no demand for events like this.

Bruce Springsteen
    Elton John
    Rod Stewart
    Nile Rodgers & Chic (twice)
    Bob Dylan
    Kasabian
    The Cranberries
    The Waterboys
    Mumford and Sons
    Franz Ferdinand
    Hozier
    Snow Patrol
    Editors
    Bell X1

If the above can have gigs here then surely it justifies a decent sized dedicated concert venue?

The only one there that was a complete flop was Bob Dylan but that was cause the venue was way too big.

Pink also nearly sold out Thomond Park. JLS did ok but not amazing.

Stone Sour played Dolans before and it sold out in minutes. Probably could have sold out the milk market or King John's if available at the time.

If Cork can have some of the acts they have had in the marquee then no reason we can't do similar.

Most of the time gigs in Dublin us just convenience for the promoters who are in Dublin. Just look at how many more gigs are happening in the Aviva and Croke Park and slowly stopping in Punchestown. Bon Jovi played Punchestown but the last time it was RDS, Ac/dc Punchestown and aviva the last time. A lot of gigs being moved to the likes of Marley park now or Phoenix park for convenience.

Yeah. Having a modern purpose built venue with the right facilities would be hugely significant especially when you consider how few of those there are in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Jofspring wrote: »
    The only one there that was a complete flop was Bob Dylan but that was cause the venue was way too big.

Pink also nearly sold out Thomond Park. JLS did ok but not amazing.

Stone Sour played Dolans before and it sold out in minutes. Probably could have sold out the milk market or King John's if available at the time.

If Cork can have some of the acts they have had in the marquee then no reason we can't do similar.

Most of the time gigs in Dublin us just convenience for the promoters who are in Dublin. Just look at how many more gigs are happening in the Aviva and Croke Park and slowly stopping in Punchestown. Bon Jovi played Punchestown but the last time it was RDS, Ac/dc Punchestown and aviva the last time. A lot of gigs being moved to the likes of Marley park now or Phoenix park for convenience.

Agree except for Dylan being a complete flop. There was a good crowd there, not sold out but a good crowd nonetheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Yeah. Having a modern purpose built venue with the right facilities would be hugely significant especially when you consider how few of those there are in Ireland.

especially now that the stadium is half empty for munster matches since the bandwagon crowd stopped supporting them.

Treepole wrote: »
    Kilkenny and Portlaoise are both closer to Dublin than Limerick.
    Promoters just aren't going to take the chance, it's not worth their while.

Going off Google Maps for a rough figure on times, they have Limerick City to Portlaoise at 1hr 13mins (116km) and Portlaoise to 3 Arena at 1hr 30mins (105km) and have Limerick City to Kilkenny at 1hr 41mins (133km) and Kilkenny to 3 Arena at 1hr 49mins (140km), that is with traffic included and without traffic included the Portlaoise one has both routes level and the Kilkenny route has it 9mins quicker for 3 Arena and that's only because you can get onto the M9 quicker then you can M7.

So both aren't technically closer and take traffic into consideration having something like the 3Arena in the Munster region could easily work if done right but in this country that's easier said then done.

• Advertisement

Red King wrote: »
    Agree except for Dylan being a complete flop. There was a good crowd there, not sold out but a good crowd nonetheless

Didn't they flip the stage and only use a section of the pitch and one stand though?

Would be easier to go to a gig in Limerick for people in Clare, Tipp, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Kerry and you could even add Offaly, Laois, Westmeath to that as they wouldn't hit the same levels of traffic.

For example if you arrive on the outskirts of Limerick City you could be at Thomond Park, Cleeves or City Centre in 10 minutes approx with the Motorway putting you in touching distance of all. If you arrive at Dublin you could be sitting in traffic anywhere from 15 minutes to 1hr+ to get to the 3 Arena, Aviva or Croke Park.

3 Arena is shockingly placed by the way. I left a concert last year in a car and it took me nearly 1 hour to get as far as O'Connell Street.

Advertisement