Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there no concerts in Thomond Park

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Seriously steps supported by blue they starting at 45 a ticket good luck to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

If steps sell out thomand Park It will be pityfull

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I can’t see Steps selling out Thomond Park but the setup might be like it was for Bob Dylan. Only the East Stand open and stage up against the West Stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

PetKing wrote: »
    Pearl Jam would sell out the stadium in minutes.

I was at Elton John in Thomond Park. It was pretty full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

osarusan wrote: »
    Honest to god, I though the name of the act was "The Band Steps" and that they were somebody I'd never heard of. Also wondering what a band step was in general.

TP with another beyond mediocre act. It just shows there is plenty of sheep to go to these kind of talent-less bland pop acts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was stewarding at the Rod Stewart gig and that got a very good crowd too. Guys with epic back catalogues, but nobody from the charts in the last 10 years except for Pink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Irish_rat wrote: »
    TP with another beyond mediocre act. It just shows there is plenty of sheep to go to these kind of talent-less bland pop acts.

Yes, sheep, if in doubt use the sheep argument.

I wouldn't be a fan of Steps btw, but this sheep calling rubbish just because you don't like a particular style of music is ridiculous.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

A load of peoople will want to go for the craic and nostalgia but I wouldn’t have imagined thomond park as a suitable venue. If they can get even close 20,000 I’d say fair play to them.

Thomond Parks record for picking events that would sell well is fairly shocking though.

Celtic vs Inter Milan very small crowd
    Bob Dylan very small crowd
    Barbarians vs Tonga tiny crowd
    JLS hadn’t a big crowd either.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Jofspring wrote: »

Thomond Parks record for picking events that would sell well is fairly shocking though.

Again, Thomond Park don't pick these events.
    They are run by promotoers who hire the venue. "Thomond Park" will get paid their rent regardless of the attendance.

Limerick is a very small market with the quality of road from Limerick, Cork & Galway to Dublin, there is no real reason to take the risk of moving large gigs outside of the capital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Treepole wrote: »
    Again, Thomond Park don't pick these events.
    They are run by promotoers who hire the venue. "Thomond Park" will get paid their rent regardless of the attendance.

Limerick is a very small market with the quality of road from Limerick, Cork & Galway to Dublin, there is no real reason to take the risk of moving large gigs outside of the capital.

Well ya the promoters.

The Marquee in Cork gets cracking gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Old?

Pearl Jam would sell Thomond in minutes, so would Elton..

It’s a 30,000 stadium.. anyone who can sell the 3arena quickly would do Thomond fine

Elton sold 22000 last time..

I wonder how many brought their own sandwiches.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Well ya the promoters.

What's the capacity of the Marquee? 4 or 5 thousand? There's a huge difference between that and Thomond Park. Quite simply large capacity gigs are rarely staged outside Dublin and it's hinterland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Stab*City wrote: »
    I wonder how many brought their own sandwiches.

I went to Elton John and we brought hot tea and sandwiches in from Rathkeale :pac: It was lashing rain that night from what I can remember and our sandwiches turned into a soggy mess!Tea, and Elton, was darn good though.

panda100 wrote: »
    I went to Elton John and we brought hot tea and sandwiches in from Rathkeale :pac: It was lashing rain that night from what I can member and our sandwiches turned into a soggy mess!Tea, and Elton, was darn good though.

Other than the ticket how much money did you actually spend inside TP that gig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I went to Elton John and we brought hot tea and sandwiches in from Rathkeale :pac: It was lashing rain that night from what I can member and our sandwiches turned into a soggy mess!Tea, and Elton, was darn good though.

Sounds hellish.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sounds hellish.

My mother and my sister were at it, and they've still not forgotten how cold, wet, and miserable the night was. The weather ruined the gig for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

I went to Elton John and we brought hot tea and sandwiches in from Rathkeale :pac: It was lashing rain that night from what I can remember and our sandwiches turned into a soggy mess!Tea, and Elton, was darn good though.

This is part of the reason why the thread is called "Why are there no concerts in Thomond Park"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Other than the ticket how much money did you actually spend inside TP that gig?

Probably got a pint or two inside because it was pissing rain and the only cure for an outside gig in the rain is to numb the cold through alcohol.
    Sounds hellish.

:pac: I'm glad I saw him live as always really admired Elton but it was a bizzare gig. I just remember him walking up and down the stage waving at people between songs. He didn't appear to know where he was or interact with the crowd outside of smiling and waving at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It seems a Pre Sale is open already for the Steps Gig. Pricey for Thomond Park for a band who couldn't fill a Club in Monaghan 2 years ago
    Standing tickets at Thomond Park Stadium are priced at: 45 euros (Bronze), 50 euros (Silver) and 72,50 euros (Golden Circle)
    Seated tickets are priced at 55 euros

There is no bigger pop return success story than Steps who are back claiming their pop crown! A return to the charts, to TV, to radio, to huge concerts and to the hearts of the nation…

And now as part of their 20th Anniversary celebrations, iconic pop group STEPS have announced a huge outdoor tour; GRANDSLAM 2018: SUMMER OF STEPS, which will see them perform at outdoor venues all over the UK and Ireland, including a performance at Thomond Park Stadium, Limerick on Friday 6 July. To complete this special outdoor tour, they are joined by special guests; the huge boy band Blue and Aqua !

This is a fantastic opportunity to see one of the UK’s most exciting current names in pop music doing what they do best!

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    It seems a Pre Sale is open already for the Steps Gig. Pricey for Thomond Park for a band who couldn't fill a Club in Monaghan 2 years ago

Steps current? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Bruce was a great concert in thomond.

Steps current? :rolleyes:

Ste... or however many are in it. :D I bought 2 tickets for other people. :rolleyes: Sounds like a horrible evening to me.

Berty wrote: »
    Ste... or however many are in it. :D I bought 2 tickets for other people. :rolleyes: Sounds like a horrible evening to me.

Same here but lets hope it does sell out and then maybe they might put on some more.

Same here but lets hope it does sell out and then maybe they might put on some more.

Well I bought 2 tickets so I can see it being worth €5m to the city already :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

My mother and my sister were at it, and they've still not forgotten how cold, wet, and miserable the night was. The weather ruined the gig for them.

Was at it myself, it was horrible weather but great gig loved it. I saw Bruce the same year, and the Elton gig was by far better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Was at it myself, it was horrible weather but great gig loved it. I saw Bruce the same year, and the Elton gig was by far better

Where was Bruce the same year?

I was both Elton John and Bruce in Thomond Park and Bruce's was by far the better of the two.

Aqua have been added to the line up. Game changer.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Well ya the promoters.

Holds about 5000 though, massive difference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

phog wrote: »
    Where was Bruce the same year?

I was both Elton John and Bruce in Thomond Park and Bruce's was by far the better of the two.

Bruce in Dublin, but I also saw Neil young the same year too. Young and Elton were miles ahead of Bruce from my experience

Advertisement