Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there no concerts in Thomond Park

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I was at the Bruce Springsteen concert in Thomond.It was brilliant on a beautiful evening,but as my wife had a knee problem we had seated tickets which were at the very top of the stand beside the commentary area.Good venue if you are lucky enough to get tickets lower down in the stands if you have to sit.If I was on my own I would queue for the pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

I wonder how many tickets will be sold. Wouldn't be surprised if it was cancelled due to someone being sick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Berty wrote: »
    It seems a Pre Sale is open already for the Steps Gig. Pricey for Thomond Park for a band who couldn't fill a Club in Monaghan 2 years ago

they almost filled the 3 arena last Monday night very few empty seats
    so somewhere in the 8.5k - 9k

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, the Steps concert in Thomond Park has been cancelled.

https://twitter.com/thomondstadium/status/992316112934187008

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, the Steps concert in Thomond Park has been cancelled.

Tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

How many tickets did they sell, 5,6,7,8?

And to think you get a moan every now and then about no concerts going to Páirc na nGael, even more tickets to not flog. What would the capacity be for the Milk Market & King John's Castle? That size of gig is viable, the ones in the Milk Market of late seem to be all fairly enthusiastically received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I just don't see what the market for Steps would possibly be at this stage. I can't exactly remember anyone ever being obsessive fans or anything, who are they expecting to turn up to see them 20 years later?

Bizarre stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

On Steps & Blue, no surprise .
    What is more of a surprise is that Pearse Stadium ( or Pearse pitch more accurately - Its a good GAA venue but not a stadium in the same sense) in Galway was able to secure Ed Sheeran and that the far better venue of Thomond Park was not. I know there's somewhat of a field of dreams idea here - get the right act and the crowd will come, but no concert since 2013 is somewhat of a failure.
    The Milk Market and the Castle seem to get the right audience for the right act ( size and ticket wise) but not , in this case, Thomond.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

topcat72 wrote: »
    On Steps & Blue, no surprise .
    What is more of a surprise is that Pearse Stadium ( or Pearse pitch more accurately - Its a good GAA venue but not a stadium in the same sense) in Galway was able to secure Ed Sheeran and that the far better venue of Thomond Park was not. I know there's somewhat of a field of dreams idea here - get the right act and the crowd will come, but no concert since 2013 is somewhat of a failure.
    The Milk Market and the Castle seem to get the right audience for the right act ( size and ticket wise) but not , in this case, Thomond.

What I heard at the time is that they did enquire, but Thomond Park couldn't guarantee the availability of the stadium over the weekends requested as the Pro14 play offs were scheduled for these weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Kings Johns castle is set up for Bellx1 Sunday night why not have gigs there Fri and Sat too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

bigpink wrote: »
    Kings Johns castle is set up for Bellx1 Sunday night why not have gigs there Fri and Sat too

Because promoters in Limerick only really want to target a certain age group and the market would only sustain one gig of that size over the weekend. No one wants the hassle of organising a gig to cater to the early 20s and the trouble that brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/breaking-news/313574/thomond-park-boss-saysstakeholderssupport-is-needed-to-secure-concerts-for-limerick.html

“There are hotels, the hospitality sector and everbody like that. So it surprises me that the door is not knocked down with people that have a vested interest saying ‘how can we help? What can we do? How can we make it happen?’,” said John Cantwell.

This guy's attitude might be the problem. I think if he had put out a call at any stage over the last few years and hosted an evening in thomond park conference suite, or if he had gone to the annual mid west hotel federation meet up he might have had some success. But it's much easier to point the finger when people ask if you are actually doing your job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

He also said that the recession put a stop to concerts after 2014...maybe I’m wrong but we were in a worse state in 2009/2010 when they had quite a few concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

I see The Coronas are back at King John's Castle on 25th August. These gigs at KJ's are beginning to pick up a bit of steam over the last year or so, which is great to see. Not the world's biggest Coronas fan but might tip along to this as I haven't been to one of these gigs and it surely is a unique venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I see The Coronas are back at King John's Castle on 25th August. These gigs at KJ's are beginning to pick up a bit of steam over the last year or so, which is great to see. Not the world's biggest Coronas fan but might tip along to this as I haven't been to one of these gigs and it surely is a unique venue.

Why is it just a constant rotation of Coronas, BellX1 and Hermitage Green though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Why is it just a constant rotation of Coronas, BellX1 and Hermitage Green though?

Dire ****e altogether. The Dolan's stable of acts are boring the arse of me these days.

Badly need some competition there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Cuz its Dolan, he gets them for pennies compared to other acts.. I heard when it comes to the likes of KJK and the Milk Market he pretty much has a monopoly as he books all the available nights even if he is not going to put a show on.

Talk about a small town promoter with no vision. Man has everything at his finger tips and keeps bringing the same shi*e every year. Next will be chic again and then probably the waterboys again.

Oh sorry next up is deacon blue. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Stab*City wrote: »
    Cuz its Dolan, he gets them for pennies compared to other acts.. I heard when it comes to the likes of KJK and the Milk Market he pretty much has a monopoly as he books all the available nights even if he is not going to put a show on.

Talk about a small town promoter with no vision. Man has everything at his finger tips and keeps bringing the same shi*e every year. Next will be chic again and then probably the waterboys again.

Oh sorry next up is deacon blue. :confused:

Dont forget Hermitage Green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

And Imelda May, Aslan

Think Dolan's heydey is long gone. Can't remember last time I got excited by a gig there.

It's just the same **** over and over now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

What would be the capacity for a concert in KJC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

mart 23 wrote: »
    What would be the capacity for a concert in KJC

2,000 i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

And Imelda May, Aslan

Think Dolan's heydey is long gone. Can't remember last time I got excited by a gig there.

Future Islands was a great gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

And Imelda May, Aslan

Its been the same stuff for years, but if people are paying to see them. Dolans will keep booking them. Its a business at the end of the day, and selling tickets is the game.
    Whatever about the Milk Market, its disappointing that they can't do something more than the Coronas and Gavin James and the like in King Johns Castle. The line ups there are truly sh!te.

How Irish bands got so bland and watery in the last few years is beyond me, but its obviously popular or people wouldnt go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Mc Love wrote: »

Jake bugg, Peter hook and Frightened Rabbit(RIP) were pretty good too.

Agreed though there is very little to be excited about with the current list of gigs coming up this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Gavin James, The Coronas, Hermitage Green, Ed Sheeran, James Bay, Bressie. This is the type of safe stuff that's on the radio and that most folk want to hear for some reason, so Mick Dolan will book 'em. Business.

We'll hardly get Mike Patton, but at least Napalm Death came...

Limerick can be a graveyard for experimental music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mc Love wrote: »

And The Darkness were excellent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

There's a serious lack of dance music events in Limerick city, the only ones around seem to be during the week for students. KJC's would be a class venue for some dance events

For example, this crowd in France organises techno events in really cool and interesting places such as this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Arrival wrote:
    For example, this crowd in France organises techno events in really cool and interesting places such as this:

Wasn't there a techno festival proposed for Cleeves later this year??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

panda100 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a techno festival proposed for Cleeves later this year??

Sorry but where's that?

Advertisement