Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there no concerts in Thomond Park

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

Arrival wrote: »
    There's a serious lack of dance music events in Limerick city, the only ones around seem to be during the week for students. KJC's would be a class venue for some dance events

For example, this crowd in France organises techno events in really cool and interesting places such as this:

I'd listen to that ****e for 2 hours just to see her...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

testicles wrote: »
    The Clare side of Shannon Bridge

Is that the place with the big 'EVA' signs on it at the moment, behind the Limerick rowing place? I was literally thinking over the last few weeks that that place would be absolutely perfect for a techno event because it could be similar to some of the industrial venues in Berlin that are famous. Limerick could genuinely be developed into the dance/techno hub of Ireland.
    MrLaurel wrote: »
    I'd listen to that ****e for 2 hours just to see her...

Haha the music may not be your taste but the techno scene is fantastic, there's a reason there are loads of gorgeous women like her DJing techno and not on mainstream dance stages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Cleeves has about half a dozen separate indoor venues varying in size that could take between 400 and 1,500 people, plus a courtyard that could take about 3,000....in a part of town that could take traffic and people without too much disturbance to the area. It is perfect for a small festival, I believe the techno festival will be in time for next year.

i also believe that a well known local playwright is planning a Limerick Soviet production down there next year, we will be celebrating 100 years since April 1919, lets hope our local authority don't forget that milestone!!!

• Advertisement

Cleeves has about half a dozen separate indoor venues varying in size that could take between 400 and 1,500 people, plus a courtyard that could take about 3,000....in a part of town that could take traffic and people without too much disturbance to the area. It is perfect for a small festival, I believe the techno festival will be in time for next year.

i also believe that a well known local playwright is planning a Limerick Soviet production down there next year, we will be celebrating 100 years since April 1919, lets hope our local authority don't forget that milestone!!!

...this is actually amazing, it sounds very similar to a club in Berlin. It's criminal that this hasn't been utilised before. Would you have any information on who'd be organising the festival? I'd love to get involved in anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Black Stone Cherry played Dolan's on Tuesday night. Was a belter of a gig. They were one of the headliners at Rock Am Park Germany on Sunday and playing in Limerick the Tuesday. They are headling at Download this weekend and supporting Guns N Roses also. Bad Reputation Promotions have been getting some big names in recently with Sick of It All and Cannibal Corpse playing Dolan's also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

...this is actually amazing, it sounds very similar to a club in Berlin. It's criminal that this hasn't been utilised before. Would you have any information on who'd be organising the festival? I'd love to get involved in anyway

It would be amazing. Have you been to EVA there yet? You should, its really worth a look. this is from a Culture SPC meeting in January. I haven't heard anything about it since:
    Electronic Music Festival (CWB)
    A grant of €5,000 to be awarded to support establishing the feasibility of the Festival,
    examining suitable location and dates; considering the international season for this type of
    festival and the calendar in Limerick, particularly the potential for complementary
    programming with another festival, e.g. the Food Truck Festival. To produce a business plan
    with financial projections and a marketing plan.
    At the December 2017 meeting of the Limerick Metropolitan District a presentation on
    proposed new Festival, LEAF – Limerick Electronic Music and Arts Festival was received.
    Messrs. P. Boland and J. Clarke from CWB Event Management joined the meeting for this
    item and presented details of a proposed Limerick Electronic Music and Arts Festival which
    it was proposed to run on the 9th and 10th March, 2018. The presentation covered the
    extent of research that had been engaged in, the range of possible events to be included,
    the use of existing facilities and the target audience which would include the student
    population of the city.
    It was agreed that the proposal should be brought to the Cultural Strategic Policy
    Committee for consideration.

panda100 wrote: »
    It would be amazing. Have you been to EVA there yet? You should, its really worth a look. this is from a Culture SPC meeting in January. I haven't heard anything about it since:

I haven't, I didn't even know what it was. Is it much to get in and is it open each day? I'd like to go more to see the actual building and picture how it could be used as a techno venue lol

Arrival wrote:
    I haven't, I didn't even know what it was. Is it much to get in and is it open each day? I'd like to go more to see the actual building and picture how it could be used as a techno venue lol

It's free and yes it's open every day until 8th July from 12pm to 6pm. You can have a great roam around and imagine all the endless possibilities (including techno festivals) for this space! The art work in it is pretty darn cool too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Where did you find the below?

Electronic Music Festival (CWB)
    A grant of €5,000 to be awarded to support establishing the feasibility of the Festival,
    examining suitable location and dates; considering the international season for this type of
    festival and the calendar in Limerick, particularly the potential for complementary
    programming with another festival, e.g. the Food Truck Festival. To produce a business plan
    with financial projections and a marketing plan.
    At the December 2017 meeting of the Limerick Metropolitan District a presentation on
    proposed new Festival, LEAF – Limerick Electronic Music and Arts Festival was received.
    Messrs. P. Boland and J. Clarke from CWB Event Management joined the meeting for this
    item and presented details of a proposed Limerick Electronic Music and Arts Festival which
    it was proposed to run on the 9th and 10th March, 2018. The presentation covered the
    extent of research that had been engaged in, the range of possible events to be included,
    the use of existing facilities and the target audience which would include the student
    population of the city.
    It was agreed that the proposal should be brought to the Cultural Strategic Policy
    Committee for consideration.

Sorry see above. Wouldn't let me quote the post..

Me too.. We should go together!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

A techno festival at the Cleeve's site sounds amazing.

Stab*City wrote:
    Where did you find the below?

It was in the minutes of a January Culture SPC meeting on Limerick.ie site.

It is disappointing to hear how few locals have gone to visit EVA. The majority of people I know in Limerick have never even heared of it, let alone gone to see any of it.I have brought loads of people along to it as the exhibits in Cleeves are pretty cool. I don't think they advertise it particularly well to those that are not into the arts or part of the Limerick culture clique. It's a shame as it costs a lot of money and while it makes use of derelict spaces very well, it doesnt engage with the local community in any meaningful way. It's like nothing was learnt from the failed 2020 bid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

It's like nothing was learnt from the failed 2020 bid

You can apply that to so many things in Limerick its unreal. The council don't seem to use anything as a learning experience either...there is so many example of this...their tarmac paths being the most recent I can think of.

The organisers of things in Limerick talk a really good game, but they advertise nothing and the execution is generally brutal. Ive never seen Riverfest advertised outside of Limerick as an example. Never knew there was a street party on yesterday in Catherine Street, rarely hear about events in the Milk Market. Even Munster barely advertise their games in TP. Its like they all stick it on facebook and thats their advertising done. I don't get it because facebook will only get you so far. People are flooded with invites to events and sponsored posts on social media that facebook isnt enough on its own anymore. And then they wonder why people don't go to these things.

I haven't been to EVA either. Haven't a clue what events or exhibitions are on to be honest..

tototoe wrote: »
    You can apply that to so many things in Limerick its unreal. The council don't seem to use anything as a learning experience either...there is so many example of this...their tarmac paths being the most recent I can think of.

The organisers of things in Limerick talk a really good game, but they advertise nothing and the execution is generally brutal. Ive never seen Riverfest advertised outside of Limerick as an example. Never knew there was a street party on yesterday in Catherine Street, rarely hear about events in the Milk Market. Even Munster barely advertise their games in TP. Its like they all stick it on facebook and thats their advertising done. I don't get it because facebook will only get you so far. People are flooded with invites to events and sponsored posts on social media that facebook isnt enough on its own anymore. And then they wonder why people don't go to these things.

I haven't been to EVA either. Haven't a clue what events or exhibitions are on to be honest..

While I agree with parts of what you say, some people seem to need to be spoonfed information about what is going on.

There are only a few websites you need to visit to see what is happening dolans, lime tree and UCH, failing that, if you visit the Hunt Museum or The Library they both normally have info on the smaller type events in the city...EVA has been held every two years since 1977!! It'll be on again in 2020.

I don't get people complaining about what isn't advertised, it is very easy to keep in touch with what is going on, it's a small city!!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

While I agree with parts of what you say, some people seem to need to be spoonfed information about what is going on.

There are only a few websites you need to visit to see what is happening dolans, lime tree and UCH, failing that, if you visit the Hunt Museum or The Library they both normally have info on the smaller type events in the city...EVA has been held every two years since 1977!! It'll be on again in 2020.

I don't get people complaining about what isn't advertised, it is very easy to keep in touch with what is going on, it's a small city!!

Another option is signing up for email newsletters. I get my LimeTree and UCH info direct into my inbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Totally agree live five mins from Catherine street and never knew there was a street party on the culture of a zero advertising budget and expecting everyone to do it for them on facebook has got to stop..

Businesses need to advertise. Very few will survive if they don't. If people don't know about your product, service or event, you will fail. Very few have strong enough word of mouth either to get them by. The idea that people should check your website or sign up for a newsletter will only get you so far. I know a lot of marketing emails I get either go into spam or into a promotion folder in gmail and I rarely see them.

I think thats a massively lazy approach to be honest. Same with sticking it on facebook and hoping that will cover it.

I'm not sure that it is really the responsibility of the customer to find out themselves what is happening either to be honest. If they don't go or buy your stuff, the only one really losing out is you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Businesses need to advertise. Very few will survive if they don't. If people don't know about your product, service or event, you will fail. Very few have strong enough word of mouth either to get them by. The idea that people should check your website or sign up for a newsletter will only get you so far. I know a lot of marketing emails I get either go into spam or into a promotion folder in gmail and I rarely see them.

I think thats a massively lazy approach to be honest. Same with sticking it on facebook and hoping that will cover it.

I'm not sure that it is really the responsibility of the customer to find out themselves what is happening either to be honest. If they don't go or buy your stuff, the only one really losing out is you.

Of course you're right it's incumbent on people to advertise their events but in reality these events have a very tight budget which often doesn't allow for extensive ads. There are lots of people who don't read or listen to local media and national ads are much more expensive. The street feast for example was organised by Liveable Limerick, a voluntary group with no budget to speak of.

You say the only one really losing out is the organiser but that's not strictly true, You can shake your head after the fact when you see you've missed something you'd have liked to have gone to and complain about terrible approaches to advertising but in reality you've missed out on a local event that you would have enjoyed.

I find setting up a twitter account and following the local organisations means there's rarely anything on that I'm not aware of. Follow Dolan's, Limerick Arts Office, the Limetree/Belltable, UCH, Limerickcitybiz and you'll be well up to date.

pigtown wrote: »
    Of course you're right it's incumbent on people to advertise their events but in reality these events have a very tight budget which often doesn't allow for extensive ads. There are lots of people who don't read or listen to local media and national ads are much more expensive. The street feast for example was organised by Liveable Limerick, a voluntary group with no budget to speak of.

You say the only one really losing out is the organiser but that's not strictly true, You can shake your head after the fact when you see you've missed something you'd have liked to have gone to and complain about terrible approaches to advertising but in reality you've missed out on a local event that you would have enjoyed.

I find setting up a twitter account and following the local organisations means there's rarely anything on that I'm not aware of. Follow Dolan's, Limerick Arts Office, the Limetree/Belltable, UCH, Limerickcitybiz and you'll be well up to date.

Ah i'm not trying to argue with you, and I take on board what you say, but I do feel Limerick events are marketed poorly. The street party is an exception where they have no budget, but the Milk Market, Munster rugby, UCH, Dolans...all those have budgets and should be letting people know about what is on. Dolans dont even have their ad in the post anymore, which was where I got my info for them.

I work in Shannon and the amount of people who don't live in the city or live in Clare that don't have any notion about Riverfest or other large events is truly staggering. It shocks me all the time. These people are all within an hour tops of the city, should be a target audience but have absolutely zero idea of whats happening in Limerick. Its nuts imo.
    I find twitter poor enough for this stuff to be honest as it gets totally lost in a sea of tweets...but thats just my experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The likes of UCH and Dolans (who run all the gigs in the market) advertise events via social media and email these days and sell plenty of tickets. If they're getting the numbers attending their events to make them profitable by advertising this way, then why would they bother paying for advertising?

Things like the Riverfest are completely different as they're big public events and should be advertised nationally.

Munster regularly advertise their home matches on the radio.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Should we all take it on ourselves to spread the word about more events on the forum here? The Things To Do In Limerick thread is often only updated for the Siege, but it should really be a much busier thread.

Ah i'm not trying to argue with you, and I take on board what you say, but I do feel Limerick events are marketed poorly. The street party is an exception where they have no budget, but the Milk Market, Munster rugby, UCH, Dolans...all those have budgets and should be letting people know about what is on. Dolans dont even have their ad in the post anymore, which was where I got my info for them.

I work in Shannon and the amount of people who don't live in the city or live in Clare that don't have any notion about Riverfest or other large events is truly staggering. It shocks me all the time. These people are all within an hour tops of the city, should be a target audience but have absolutely zero idea of whats happening in Limerick. Its nuts imo.
    I find twitter poor enough for this stuff to be honest as it gets totally lost in a sea of tweets...but thats just my experience.

The marketing for Limerick by the council team generally is woeful, and the promotion for Riverfest is shockingly poor and misguided. Their strategy for Limerick appears to be all about promoting Limerick as some sort of fashion destination. They even paid for the likes of Sinead Curvy Style and other fashion bloggers to promote Riverfest. It just beggars belief. We have this awesome city with an exceptional medieval castle, water sports, scenic river, Georgian core, heritage and history and yet beauty bloggers are being paid to promote Limerick as a shopping destination.

This then contrasts greatly with Limerick arts strategy approach which appears to be marketing to a very niche, artistic, hipster market.

Then you have the Limerick community disengaged in the middle as neither promotion of Limerick relates to most people experience of living in the city or county.

Should we all take it on ourselves to spread the word about more events on the forum here? The Things To Do In Limerick thread is often only updated for the Siege, but it should really be a much busier thread.

+1. Though annoyingly the stickied threads don't show up on the android app which means I rarely look at them unless I'm on the desktop!

Actually lazy is not bothering to find out what is happening around you, then blaming volunteers with little or no advertising budgets that they didn't inform you of an event they are organising, especially considering a lot of festivals are not revenue generating for the organisers.

I don't read local newspapers, nor do I listen to local radio, and yet with a tiny bit of effort I rarely miss an event that I want to go to...no reason why anyone would....apart from laziness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

+1. Though annoyingly the stickied threads don't show up on the android app which means I rarely look at them unless I'm on the desktop!

Apols for dragging things OT - if you follow stickied thread they'll show up under the "my threads" tab in the app.

Actually lazy is not bothering to find out what is happening around you, then blaming volunteers with little or no advertising budgets that they didn't inform you of an event they are organising, especially considering a lot of festivals are not revenue generating for the organisers.

Ah here! Who is the onus on to get people to go to any event and make sure they know it is on, whats happening, where and how much it will cost. It is not the patron, that is for sure.

Riverfest is well funded, people in the greater region should not have to go looking for info on it. Putting the responsibility on the punter to find out the details on any event is a load of horse manure imo. If the event organiser be it a small event or festival like riverfest is taking that attitude then it really is all the one and they are failing to promote the event in any meaningful way. To call people lazy if they dont seek out the info is complete nonsense tbh.

• Advertisement

Ah here! Who is the onus on to get people to go to any event and make sure they know it is on, whats happening, where and how much it will cost. It is not the patron, that is for sure.

Riverfest is well funded, people in the greater region should not have to go looking for info on it. Putting the responsibility on the punter to find out the details on any event is a load of horse manure imo. If the event organiser be it a small event or festival like riverfest is taking that attitude then it really is all the one and they are failing to promote the event in any meaningful way. To call people lazy if they dont seek out the info is complete nonsense tbh.

You havent a clue pal.

I'd say something if these small events/festivals were abject failures.

Small festivals in this city, are run by volunteers, who typically also have full time jobs, many of whom would spend endless unpaid hours organising a program of events, tying up with venues, costing contributors etc, they do this for no personal gain....the small festivals that I enjoy in this city tend to be well attended, so what exactly they are doing wrong is a mystery to me.

They often have to apply for funding from the City Council, which is no easy task, have you one iota how much it would cost to advertise across local media for several weeks? If you are not charging for events, or if the events are hosted in small venues then how can you justify the cost? Besides, if it is on in a venue like Dolans or Lime Tree, they will advertise it through their social media channels.

Riverfest weekend was absolutely rammed this year, exactly how would a huge spend on advertising be justified...especially when outside of the GLR the whole thing is very much weather dependent...and free!!!

I'd say something if it was difficult to find out what is going on around you, its not! Access to the internet is all you need...so if you are missing out because you couldn't be arsed checking out a few websites or social media then you are lazy.

Expecting people running small events to spend massive amounts of money on advertising is laughable!!!

Advertisement