Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there no concerts in Thomond Park

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

You havent a clue pal.

I'd say something if these small events/festivals were abject failures.

Small festivals in this city, are run by volunteers, who typically also have full time jobs, many of whom would spend endless unpaid hours organising a program of events, tying up with venues, costing contributors etc, they do this for no personal gain....the small festivals that I enjoy in this city tend to be well attended, so what exactly they are doing wrong is a mystery to me.

They often have to apply for funding from the City Council, which is no easy task, have you one iota how much it would cost to advertise across local media for several weeks? If you are not charging for events, or if the events are hosted in small venues then how can you justify the cost? Besides, if it is on in a venue like Dolans or Lime Tree, they will advertise it through their social media channels.

Riverfest weekend was absolutely rammed this year, exactly how would a huge spend on advertising be justified...especially when outside of the GLR the whole thing is very much weather dependent...and free!!!

I'd say something if it was difficult to find out what is going on around you, its not! Access to the internet is all you need...so if you are missing out because you couldn't be arsed checking out a few websites or social media then you are lazy.

Expecting people running small events to spend massive amounts of money on advertising is laughable!!!

Firstly I'm not your pal, buddy or anything else. I really hate that pal, buddy, bud , mate sh!te. It doesn't help your point in the least and I don't know you.

You also seem to be focused on small festivals / events and the only one I mentioned was the street party thing which I also said "The street party is an exception where they have no budget"...so maybe get off your high horse in that regard.

You obviously have some connection somewhere to small festivals or something and thats fine. You think things are marketed well. I don't. I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

tototoe wrote: »
    Firstly I'm not your pal, buddy or anything else. I really hate that pal, buddy, bud , mate sh!te. It doesn't help your point in the least and I don't know you.

You also seem to be focused on small festivals / events and the only one I mentioned was the street party thing which I also said "The street party is an exception where they have no budget"...so maybe get off your high horse in that regard.

You obviously have some connection somewhere to small festivals or something and thats fine. You think things are marketed well. I don't. I'll leave it there.

There is nothing you can't find easily online, from events in the Milk Market, to matches in Thomond Park. There's no excuse.

I have never organised a festival or event in this city but I know those who have, they typically put a lot of work for nothing other than to contribute, and if you are going to criticise them for not meeting your high marketing standards then don't be surprised if someone pulls you up on it. I'll stick my neck on the line here and suggest you have never organised a thing in your life!

You're the one on the high horse, not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Went to EVA in Creeves. Got the info from this very thread. Being honest i didn't know if it was something for the public or for the students until i read this thread. Anyway went with the kids Sunday morning for Fathers Day and we all loved it. Very impressive. Very inspiring. The venue itself has techno festival written all over it. I'm going to look into that side of things further. If you have an hour to spare check it out. AND ITS FREE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Stab*City wrote:
    Went to EVA in Creeves. Got the info from this very thread. Being honest i didn't know if it was something for the public or for the students until i read this thread. Anyway went with the kids Sunday morning for Fathers Day and we all loved it. Very impressive. Very inspiring. The venue itself has techno festival written all over it. I'm going to look into that side of things further. If you have an hour to spare check it out. AND ITS FREE!

Ah delighted you went. It's pretty cool isn't it? Yeah no one know it's on which is mad considering it's a biennial event and receives significant funding from limerick council. It's marketed very poorly imo.

panda100 wrote: »
    Ah delighted you went. It's pretty cool isn't it? Yeah no one know it's on which is mad considering it's a biennial event and receives significant funding from limerick council. It's marketed very poorly imo.

Very cool..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

I Guess the problem is this has been on for years ,we've all seen banners etc and never really enquired much ,its probably a limerick thing where we think its not aimed at us ,but at the arty people or someone who isnt regular joe soap and the age old problem of not using whats on your doorstep .They obviously get numbers to these and recognition as its constantly funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

it is great, maybe dublin has some things similar to this but i dont think iv seen anything like it in cork or galway. last time i went i just walked in and didnt see anyone who looked like they work there, maybe they should start tracking visitor numbers like they do in the limerick city art gallery. there was a big push to market the opening of EVA but i havent heard anything since, who would be in charge of managing the site/event?

mdmix wrote: »
    it is great, maybe dublin has some things similar to this but i dont think iv seen anything like it in cork or galway. last time i went i just walked in and didnt see anyone who looked like they work there, maybe they should start tracking visitor numbers like they do in the limerick city art gallery. there was a big push to market the opening of EVA but i havent heard anything since, who would be in charge of managing the site/event?

There was a very nice guy there yesterday who gave us the run down on where to go and what route to follow. He also gave us a small booklet which gave info on the exhibits. But ya until i read this thread i didnt have a clue what it was and like was said above i just never thought it was for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

National Geographic is bringing its spectacular “Symphony for our World” production to the Gaelic Grounds Limerick.

Its an 80-piece symphony orchestra combined with footage & imagery National Geographic, on two of the largest high definition (HD) screens in Europe. It sounds pretty cool. tickets are on sale friday 6th july. i think tickets start at €59. pricey enough but with an 80 piece orchestra and screen setup, i guess a lot of people need to get paid. should be a spectacular event though.

https://www.newstalk.com/National-Geographic-bringing-spectacular-Symphony-for-our-World-production-to-Limerick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGdDkxoVCKs&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Snow Patrol's Irish tour recently left a sour taste. Sold out all venues nationwide but couldn't do so with Killarney. Thomond (or as we're seeing with the Gaelic Grounds) could have easily sold that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

PetKing wrote: »
    Snow Patrol's Irish tour recently left a sour taste. Sold out all venues nationwide but couldn't do so with Killarney. Thomond (or as we're seeing with the Gaelic Grounds) could have easily sold that out.

Not a chance.

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Not a chance.

Compelling argument, you've convinced me. We should stick to cancelled Steps concerts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Compelling argument, you've convinced me. We should stick to cancelled Steps concerts.

Snow Patrol selling out Thomond Park is a laughable offence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Snow Patrol selling out Thomond Park is a laughable offence.

Snow Patrol have shows at multiple NFL stadiums during their upcoming world tour. They're also playing multiple nights at the Three Arena in December. They're a lot bigger than you seem to realise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Snow Patrol are big but I don't think they would sell out Thomond park or Gaelic grounds now. Maybe ten years ago. They would need a strong line up supporting them to get close to selling it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Unless I’m reading this incorrectly, how would Snow Patrol be able to sell-out Thomond if they can’t sell-out (a presumably smaller venue in) Killarney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Unless I’m reading this incorrectly, how would Snow Patrol be able to sell-out Thomond if they can’t sell-out (a presumably smaller venue in) Killarney.

As I said earlier they've 2 shows in the Three Arena and 2 shows in the Odessey Arena in Belfast in December, plus shows in 8 or 9 80K capacity NFL stadiums on their upcoming US tour.

They had a low key indoor tour of Ireland before the release of their new album, of which Killarney was the only one that didn't sell out.

I'm pretty sure that if they had booked TP as part of their actual world tour it would have sold out.

You don't need to open the stands. The pitch holds plenty. TP should be looking at more marketable gigs than a Steps concert which is limited in it's appeal. Like them or not, Snow Patrol would have attracted a greater scope of the general public. There isn't enough determination to push for a better standard of gigs in Limerick, which is a lot of the problem. I understand the marquee grounds in Cork have been sold. If this creates a gap in the market, TP or Gaelic Grounds should be pushing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

You don't need to open the stands. The pitch holds plenty. TP should be looking at more marketable gigs than a Steps concert which is limited in it's appeal. Like them or not, Snow Patrol would have attracted a greater scope of the general public. There isn't enough determination to push for a better standard of gigs in Limerick, which is a lot of the problem. I understand the marquee grounds in Cork have been sold. If this creates a gap in the market, TP or Gaelic Grounds should be pushing now.
    Who said TP havent looked for more/better gigs than Steps?
    Quite often gigs are going to Galway/Cork/Dublin so Limerick is just passed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

.................... I understand the marquee grounds in Cork have been sold. If this creates a gap in the market, TP or Gaelic Grounds should be pushing now.

The problem there is, the tent for the Marquee is up for about 5 or 6 weeks. I don't think any stadium would let their grass be covered for that length of time.

Has to be setup on some "waste" ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Even if the marquee site is sold I'm pretty sure aiken have said they are looking at other sites in Cork, it won't be moving from Cork.
    Imo, snow patrol haven't a hope of selling out TP or GG. They're e
    Just not a big enough act. There are very few who would sell them out, and promoters such as aiken have said the same. They have also said the same about pairc ui caoimh, that there wont be gigs there every year as stadium acts are not that plentiful any more and they just won't fill it. The ginger lad with the guitar was an exception. Springsteen another, and he did play thomond. But those acts are few and far between. Everything else will be in Dublin.

The king johns castle gigs shoukd be attracting better acts than the middle of the road stuff being put on there though but looks unlikely considering recent lineups there.

tototoe wrote:
    The king johns castle gigs shoukd be attracting better acts than the middle of the road stuff being put on there though but looks unlikely considering recent lineups there.

No offence to Dolans, but their reach as music promoters is limited. Aiken or MCD coming in to the mix would help for bigger acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

damowill wrote: »
    National Geographic is bringing its spectacular “Symphony for our World” production to the Gaelic Grounds Limerick.

Its an 80-piece symphony orchestra combined with footage & imagery National Geographic, on two of the largest high definition (HD) screens in Europe. It sounds pretty cool. tickets are on sale friday 6th july. i think tickets start at €59. pricey enough but with an 80 piece orchestra and screen setup, i guess a lot of people need to get paid. should be a spectacular event though.

https://www.newstalk.com/National-Geographic-bringing-spectacular-Symphony-for-our-World-production-to-Limerick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGdDkxoVCKs&feature=youtu.be

Just went to buy tickets for this for my girlfriend and I. 2 tickets in the Mackey Stand comes to 212 euro including fees. Crazy money altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Chavways wrote: »
    Just went to buy tickets for this for my girlfriend and I. 2 tickets in the Mackey Stand comes to 212 euro including fees. Crazy money altogether.

I believe Gleesons Sports have tickets at the cheaper rate... or did anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Chavways wrote: »

There are different levels of tickets. The premium, centre stage ones are more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Not the greatest list but I see Munsters alternative to TP has a nice week of concerts planned this summer

JUN 20 George Ezra

JUN 21 Walking On Cars

JUN 22 The Coronas

JUN 23 Liam Gallagher

JUN 25 Hozier

JUN 26 Ms. Lauryn Hill

At least it's something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not the greatest list but I see Munsters alternative to TP has a nice week of concerts planned this summer

JUN 20 George Ezra

JUN 21 Walking On Cars

JUN 22 The Coronas

JUN 23 Liam Gallagher

JUN 25 Hozier

JUN 26 Ms. Lauryn Hill

At least it's something

Would that be Muzzer? Sure its 4G pitch - they could have a truck rally there and the pitch would still probably be fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Well Dolan’s have gotten a 150k loan from the council to run gigs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bigpink wrote: »
    Well Dolan’s have gotten a 150k loan from the council to run gigs

Unfortunately for us most of Dolans gigs are the same recycled bands year in, year out.

Would be class to see Liam Gallagher or Lauryn Hill play the castle instead of Hermitage Green or Bell X1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Unfortunately for us most of Dolans gigs are the same recycled bands year in, year out.

Would be class to see Liam Gallagher or Lauryn Hill play the castle instead of Hermitage Green or Bell X1

Can’t understand how or why Dolan’s got or needed a 150k loan when they have control of the music market in Limerick

Advertisement