Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there no concerts in Thomond Park

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭browne_rob5

Not the greatest list but I see Munsters alternative to TP has a nice week of concerts planned this summer

JUN 20 George Ezra

JUN 21 Walking On Cars

JUN 22 The Coronas

JUN 23 Liam Gallagher

JUN 25 Hozier

JUN 26 Ms. Lauryn Hill

At least it's something

That's a fairly solid line up. Something for everyone! Think I'll pop down for one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

bigpink wrote: »
    Can’t understand how or why Dolan’s got or needed a 150k loan when they have control of the music market in Limerick

larger acts want to be paid 50%+ up front. anyway they are sticking with a working formula. hopefully if the larger marquee is a success it might tempt another promoter to use one of the other venues for something decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

There is very few acts that will fill TP. None of those in cork would fill it. Muzzer is about 12k capacity for concerts...TP holds about 3times that for gigs. Pair UI caoimh were convinced they were going to have loads of gigs...and they got a 70 something year old rod steward. Very few stadium acts around that will go outside Dublin. Someone in cork said to me that MCD and Aiken are vying for territory in cork IF the famous event center is ever built and that's why MCD are using Musgrave park. Dunno if that's true. The marquee site isn't available for much longer

and let's be fair the Coronas and co .. they are welcome to. Dolan's pushing that bland Irish middle of the road stuff enough as it is imo

tototoe wrote: »
    There is very few acts that will fill TP. None of those in cork would fill it. Muzzer is about 12k capacity for concerts...TP holds about 3times that for gigs. Pair UI caoimh were convinced they were going to have loads of gigs...and they got a 70 something year old rod steward. Very few stadium acts around that will go outside Dublin. Someone in cork said to me that MCD and Aiken are vying for territory in cork IF the famous event center is ever built and that's why MCD are using Musgrave park. Dunno if that's true. The marquee site isn't available for much longer

and let's be fair the Coronas and co .. they are welcome to. Dolan's pushing that bland Irish middle of the road stuff enough as it is imo

TP had a good run a few years back as it was the only modern stadium outside dublin properly able to host such events, it could have built on that, unfortunately the stadium manager didnt like dealing with promoters and wanted to deal directly with artists so TP is now dead to irish promoters and will not host any stadium events.

i do expect to see more events in pairc ui caoimh, although maybe not as many as some would like. as for musgrave, if MCD and the likes are making money there then they wont stop, it should have nothing to do with the events center.

also, the marquee in cork will most likely be moved somewhere else, so will likely be available going forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

mdmix wrote: »
    TP had a good run a few years back as it was the only modern stadium outside dublin properly able to host such events, it could have built on that, unfortunately the stadium manager didnt like dealing with promoters and wanted to deal directly with artists so TP is now dead to irish promoters and will not host any stadium events.

i do expect to see more events in pairc ui caoimh, although maybe not as many as some would like. as for musgrave, if MCD and the likes are making money there then they wont stop, it should have nothing to do with the events center.

also, the marquee in cork will most likely be moved somewhere else, so will likely be available going forward

Didn't know that about TP management, But point stands. There are very few stadium acts around and very few that will play outside Dublin . None of the Musgrave acts would fill thomond either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

tototoe wrote: »
    Didn't know that about TP management, But point stands. There are very few stadium acts around and very few that will play outside Dublin . None of the Musgrave acts would fill thomond either.

Ed Sheeran (cant stand him but) was doing a tour of Ireland not so long ago. Bruce, Dylan, The National are all acts that have no problem with playing outside Dublin. I am pretty sure if it was done correctly we would have acts.

Its the same old lazy excuses though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mr.H wrote: »
    Ed Sheeran (cant stand him but) was doing a tour of Ireland not so long ago. Bruce, Dylan, The National are all acts that have no problem with playing outside Dublin. I am pretty sure if it was done correctly we would have acts.

Its the same old lazy excuses though

I'm pretty sure that Sheerens people inquired about playing in Thomond, but with the tour being in May and Munster not knowing when their Pro14 play off was going to be on, the stadium couldn't be made available.

Also the last time Dylan played Thomond, it wasn't a sell out. And the National are playing at a festival. They wouldn't be close to filling Thomond.

What bands that would fill Thomond play outside Dublin other than at festivals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

I'm pretty sure that Sheerens people inquired about playing in Thomond, but with the tour being in May and Munster not knowing when their Pro14 play off was going to be on, the stadium couldn't be made available.

Also the last time Dylan played Thomond, it wasn't a sell out. And the National are playing at a festival. They wouldn't be close to filling Thomond.

What bands that would fill Thomond play outside Dublin other than at festivals?

Always thought Thomond be perfect for any big American groups first gig of a European tour...fly into Shannon...off to Thomond and gig and away they go.
    Anyone of Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Bruce Springsteen, Bruno Mars off the top of my head would fill it comfortably

Also the last time Dylan played Thomond, it wasn't a sell out.

That’s a fair point, and I’m sure a promoter looking at it would probably think the same.

On the other hand it was in the depths of the recession when a good portion of the city population had emigrated. It’s a shame there aren’t any gigs there any more because I think it would be a lot easier to sell out these days

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

On the other hand it was in the depths of the recession when a good portion of the city population had emigrated.

That's a serious exaggeration, plus Dylan's fan base wouldn't have been the one emigrating.

• Advertisement

Treepole wrote: »
    That's a serious exaggeration, plus Dylan's fan base wouldn't have been the one emigrating.

Considering the amount of pubs and nightclubs along with other businesses that shut down in that time, I dont think its an exaggeration. Even the only theatre in the city, the belltable was forced to close in that period.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Considering the amount of pubs and nightclubs along with other businesses that shut down in that time, I dont think its an exaggeration. Even the only theatre in the city, the belltable was forced to close in that period.

The Belltable closed because they spent €1m to refurbish the theatre, which was €300K over budget, causing them to go into liquidation. Not because people emigrated. https://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0226/369725-limerick-belltable-liquidation/

And pubs and restaurants closed because of the amount of people either took pay cuts or lost their jobs. It's way too simple to say it was all down to emigration.

The Belltable closed because they spent €1m to refurbish the theatre, which was €300K over budget, causing them to go into liquidation. Not because people emigrated. https://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0226/369725-limerick-belltable-liquidation/

And pubs and restaurants closed because of the amount of people either took pay cuts or lost their jobs. It's way too simple to say it was all down to emigration.

I never said it was solely down to emigration, but thanks for clearing that up if that’s how it appeared

Edit: I think we can all agree things are different today to 2014

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Less interest in bands with young people also a factor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Madness playing the Docklands Marquee in June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

bigpink wrote: »
    Madness playing the Docklands Marquee in June

Huge fan of Madness. Really excited about this one :)

Advertisement