Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork East, GE16

Options
  • 04-02-2016 9:57pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As there does not seem to be a thread on this.

Current sitting TDs
    Labour Party Seán Sherlock
    Fine Gael David Stanton
    Fine Gael Tom Barry
    Sinn Féin Sandra McLellan

Candidates
    Party Candidate
    Fianna Fáil Barbara Ahern
    Fine Gael Tom Barry
    Renua Ireland Paul Bradford
    Sinn Féin Pat Buckley
    Independent Claire Cullinane
    Social Democrats Ken Curtin
    Green Party Natasha Harty
    AAA–PBP Ciara Leonardi-Roche
    Independent Mary Linehan-Foley
    Independent Kieran McCarthy
    Fine Gael Noel McCarthy
    Labour Party Seán Sherlock
    Fine Gael David Stanton
    Fianna Fáil Kevin O'Keefe

and a history of the constituency
    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_East_(D%C3%A1il_%C3%89ireann_constituency)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

My prediction for Cork East :

David Stanton FG
    Pat Buckley SF
    Noel McCarthy FG
    The last seat will be a fight between Sean Sherlock Lab and Kevin O'Keeffe FF, with Sherlock to take it by a nose.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Stanton definitely but I wouldn't put money on anyone else. O'Keeffe would be next as Sherlock Nd Barry have done nothing for mallow side. SF vote is split as is labour with mccarthy. It will be interesting

I'm in Dublin Bay South but Cork East was my old home constituency so I've been keeping an eye on it. I think David Stanton will retain his seat but after that it's very hard to predict where it will all go.

I'd like to see the hopeless Tom Barry lose his seat, and I also hope "Mr Lucinda" Paul Bradford fails to get elected. I think Sherlock will hold on, if only because Labour are not running anyone else (although there's a slight chance that former Labour, now FG, Noel McCarthy may eat into his first preferences).

I'd like to see Ken Curtin do well, though I doubt he'll poll enough. He is ex FF, which may either work for or against him. As for FF, I reckon their support will go up from last time enough to see Kevin O'Keeffe over the line. He'll definitely be favoured over Ahern, who comes across as someone who doesn't really want to be there and is just doing it for the sake of the family name.

Sinn Féin is an interesting one, it remains to be seen how the whole fallout from the Sandra McLellan debacle will affect party support in the constituency. Kieran McCarthy running as an independent may eat into some of Pat Buckley's vote.

Ciara Leonardi-Roche of AAA-PBP and Natasha Harty of the Greens will be in a fight for the wooden spoon.

Prediction:
    2 FG (Stanton and, hopefully, McCarthy)
    1 FF (O'Keeffe)
    1 Lab (Sherlock)
    Buckley, Bradford and possibly Mary Linehan Foley will be in the chasing pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Interesting constituency at the moment.

I'd like to see Bradford do well although I can't imagine Renua being too popular in Cork East. Apart from that I would deem Stanton and Tom Barry to be safe enough bets.
    I think Sean Sherlocks seat is very unpredictable. Not a fan of the man.

1st David Stanton
    2nd Tom Barry
    3rd Kevin O' Keeffe
    I can imagine the last seat being between Sherlock, Buckley, and Bradford... Interesting to see how it will play out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's a pretty soft and uninspiring constituency to be honest when Stanton will almost certainly get back in. The epitome of a head down and stay quiet politician. Been quite impressed with Leonardi-Roche in everything I've seen and heard, most interviewers etc have also said similar things, and she came across very well in the TV3 debate. She has a very slim chance of being anywhere of course.

Final result:
    SEAN SHERLOCK , LAB Count 9elected
    DAVID STANTON , FG Count 9elected
    KEVIN O'KEEFFE , FF Count 9elected
    PAT BUCKLEY , SF Count 10elected

Advertisement