Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu vaccine for children?

Options
  • 04-02-2016 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Is there any where I can get this for my children in Galway? My own GP won't do it as my children don't have any underlying illnesses (thank God) but all children in the UK are being given the flu vaccine via a nasal spray. Why is this not an option in Ireland...or is it? Even Boots only give the flu vaccine to over 18s here. Is there anywhere that I can get the flu vaccine for my children in Galway? I'd even travel to Dublin if I had to. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Without getting into a vaccination discussion or medical advice:

Your GP is probably referring to
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/fluvaccine/flupublic/#Who should be vaccinated?
    Children aged 6 months and older
    - with any condition that can affect lung function especially those attending special schools/day centres with cerebral palsy or intellectual disability
    - on long-term aspirin therapy (because of the risk of Reyes syndrome)

There is a phone number to an Infoline on that page you can ring if you need more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

biko wrote: »
    Without getting into a vaccination discussion or medical advice:

Your GP is probably referring to
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/fluvaccine/flupublic/#Who should be vaccinated?

There is a phone number to an Infoline on that page you can ring if you need more info.

Thanks. I'll phone that number in the morning. In the meantime if anyone knows of somewhere that will vaccinate children, I would be very grateful. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

I can't offer advice on where to get the child vaccine but one of the best ways to reduce the risk of children getting the flu is for those they are close to to get the vaccine e.g. parents, grandparents, aunties, uncles, childminders and teachers etc. This is called herd immunity. If you have not already done so, this would be a great first step to protecting your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You could ask other GPs: just ring their reception and ask if they will do it.

I doubt you'll find any who are willing to not follow the official advice though. The scientists weight up the risks and benefits in deciding who to advise any drug for, and there are usually good reasons for groups they exclude. Even factors like the lower population density here vs England can impact the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

This attitude of holding back the vaccine and the reasons given are misguided and outdated. Be more assertive and tell him to either administer the vaccine or take your business elsewhere.

• Advertisement

This attitude of holding back the vaccine and the reasons given are misguided and outdated. Be more assertive and tell him to either administer the vaccine or take your business elsewhere.

I agree. I have phoned a number of GPs and have finally found one who gives it to children. Am awaiting a call back to see if they have sufficient stock!

By the way....I rang the HSE and they said all children should get it-not just at risk children!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I listen to Newstalk and they are regularly doing PSAs about it. Of course, it saves the HSE and us a lot of money in GP bills. This suspiciously seems at odds with the throwback attitude of some GPs who'd prefer your 50 quid when you get a nasty dose. A couple weeks ago they had an expert on who reassured there is no negative connected to getting it and even when it misses the mark (like last years vaccine which wrongly predicted which viruses would be most prevalent) it still greatly reduces the symptoms. It's a no brainer in many countries, but here again we have an example of what a backwater we live in.

I listen to Newstalk and they are regularly doing PSAs about it. Of course, it saves the HSE and us a lot of money in GP bills. This suspiciously seems at odds with the throwback attitude of some GPs who'd prefer your 50 quid when you get a nasty dose. A couple weeks ago they had an expert on who reassured there is no negative connected to getting it and even when it misses the mark (like last years vaccine which wrongly predicted which viruses would be most prevalent) it still greatly reduces the symptoms. It's a no brainer in many countries, but here again we have an example of what a backwater we live in.

100% agree. Have now booked my two children in to another GP in town and they will be getting the vaccine. My sister's children who live in the UK get the vaccine as a matter of course by the NHS!

Delighted the kids are booked in now. Thanks all

Advertisement