Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 won't recognise my CD Rom drive

Options
  • 04-02-2016 11:02pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Because I;ve changed the OS on my Dell XPS a few times, now it won't see my cd rom drive. I barely use it so I only noticed now. Tried a few things I found online - but does anyone know how to fix this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers

Enter a Service Tag or Express Service Code.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/desktop/xps_desktop?app=drivers&country=us&lang=en&seg=19

Click on the model no, eg xps 8500
    download any drivers for cd,dvdrom .
    i think windows has a generic cdrom device driver built in .
    You could get a cdrom drive on adverts.ie for 5 euro .
    or a dvdrom drive 10 euro
    IF replacing it ,switch off pc, remove the power cable from the pc ,esb socket .
    Go to control panel, hardware ,device driver ,
    click on cdrom drive ,install driver s,.
    See it windows will find the driver.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/update-driver-hardware-isnt-working-properly#update-driver-hardware-isnt-working-properly=windows-7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Zascar wrote: »
    Because I;ve changed the OS on my Dell XPS a few times, now it won't see my cd rom drive. I barely use it so I only noticed now. Tried a few things I found online - but does anyone know how to fix this?
    Thanks

Is it showing up in device manager? If not make sure Show Hidden Devices is checked. If it's greyed out you probably just need a driver. I presume you never physically disconnected the drive?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Another this to try is if you can see the drive under Device Manager -> DVD/CD Drives right click it and choose uninstall. Restart Windows and it should reinstall the driver for it

Nick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check it still ejects
    Try a bootable CD
    Double check it's still being seen in the BIOS

if all else fails you could try removing phantom CD's (straw clutching)
    at the command prompt type
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    start devmgmt.msc

click on view show hidden devices

don't go on a mad clearing spree though, only remove what you know.

BTW
    for those concerned about privacy this will also list the make,model and serial number of every USB key you've ever used. But windows has no backdoors and the powers that be would never try to cross reference those USB keys to anyone else...

Advertisement