Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porridge Bread

Options
  • 05-02-2016 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi, anybody have a receipe they use for tasty Porridge Bread with seeds and nuts if possible?

I have looked up a couple of online but seen mixed responses ranging from not being cooked in the middle to taking way longer in the oven than expected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

I have one, but porridge oats are not the main thing in it, its a lovely bread with nuts and seeds also, I'll post recipe ,if you would like to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

sdp wrote: »
    I have one, but porridge oats are not the main thing in it, its a lovely bread with nuts and seeds also, I'll post recipe ,if you would like to try it.

Please do, thank you!!

Here it is:
    250g extra coarse wholemeal flour
    250g plain flour
    115g jumbo porrridge oats
    25g brown sugar
    1 tsp salt
    3 tsp baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp bread soda
    1 large egg
    100 ml black treacle
    600ml milk (you may need more or less )
    3 handfuls of walnuts chopped quite small
    handfull of sesame seeds, or seeds for your choice

pre heat oven 160c fan / 180 c regular oven
    lightly grease a 2ld loaf tin, or round tin
    seive plain flour/salt/baking powder/bread soda
    add wholemeal flour and mix
    whisk milk and egg together
    add milk. egg treacle walnuts and seeds to dry ingredients , mix well needs to be soft but not sloppy
    into tin, sprinkle with oats and seeds
    bake in oven for approximately 50 mins
    leave in tin for 10 mins when you remove from oven, then turn out on wire rack to cool,
    this bread freezes really well,
    enjoy, any problems with it, let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Here it is:
    250g extra coarse wholemeal flour
    250g plain flour
    115g jumbo porrridge oats
    25g brown sugar
    3 tsp baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp bread soda
    1 large egg
    100 ml black treacle
    600ml milk (you may need more or less )
    3 handfuls of walnuts chopped quite small
    handfull of sesame seeds, or seeds for your choice

pre heat oven 160c fan / 180 c regular oven
    lightly grease a 2ld loaf tin, or round tin
    seive plain flour/salt/baking powder/bread soda
    add wholemeal flour and mix
    whisk milk and egg together
    add milk. egg treacle walnuts and seeds to dry ingredients , mix well needs to be soft but not sloppy
    into tin, sprinkle with oats and seeds
    bake in oven for approximately 50 mins
    leave in tin for 10 mins when you remove from oven, then turn out on wire rack to cool,
    this bread freezes really well,
    enjoy, any problems with it, let me know :)

Treacle and sugar in porridge bread?

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Treacle and sugar in porridge bread?

Yes, sounds strange,
    its like Inchydoneys walnut bread
    First time I tried it, was not to sure about treacle and sugar, but it does work a treat .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Dunjam

Porridge bread

Ingredients:

• 1 large tub (500ml) of fat free or low fat natural yogurt
    • 2 tubs of porridge oats (use rinsed and dried natural yogurt tub)
    • 2 tsp of bread soda
    • 2 tbsp of oil (we used rapeseed oil)

Optional: handful of sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds or nuts

Method:

Place bread soda, oil and the yogurt in a mixing bowl.

Using the same yogurt tub measure 2 tubs of porridge oats and add to the bowl. Add your favourite seeds or nuts at this point. Stir thoroughly.

Place in a greased standard loaf tin (2lbs/900g - 18.5 x 11.5 x 9cm).

Cook at 180°C (try a little higher for first attempt 200°C and then lower half way through).

Cook for approx. 45 mins (depending on your oven).

Five minutes before the end of cooking time, remove the bread from the tin and cook for remaining 5 mins.

Remove from the oven and leave to cool on wire tray wrapped in clean tea towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Yes, sounds strange,
    its like Inchydoneys walnut bread
    First time I tried it, was not to sure about treacle and sugar, but it does work a treat .

Must try it. For daily use I'll son l stick to sugar free though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

The one I make is this:

Ingredients:

• 1 large tub (500ml) of natural yogurt
    • 2 tubs of porridge oats (using the yogurt tub)
    • 1 tsp of bread soda
    • 1 egg

Mix altogether and place in a greased loaf tin. Cook at 180°C for 45mins and then take out and flip over and cook for an additional 15mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Anybody have any pics of their creations? This sounds delicious I would love to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I would say the one with the flour might be the nicest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

With any of these types of recipes, the cooking time is quite sensitive to the temperature of the oven and how moist the mixture is.

I know that sounds obvious, but the recipe might work perfectly for me, but not for you because your oven is hotter and you used different brand of yoghurt which was runnier. Even with a recommendation, it wont be exactly the same for you.

You have to try a recipe and if its not perfect, readjust the temperature and the amount of liquid to get it right.

With any of these types of recipes, the cooking time is quite sensitive to the temperature of the oven and how moist the mixture is.

I know that sounds obvious, but the recipe might work perfectly for me, but not for you because your oven is hotter and you used different brand of yoghurt which was runnier. Even with a recommendation, it wont be exactly the same for you.

You have to try a recipe and if its not perfect, readjust the temperature and the amount of liquid to get it right.

Dunjam wrote: »
    Porridge bread

Ingredients:

• 1 large tub (500ml) of fat free or low fat natural yogurt
    • 2 tubs of porridge oats (use rinsed and dried natural yogurt tub)
    • 2 tsp of bread soda
    • 2 tbsp of oil (we used rapeseed oil)

Optional: handful of sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds or nuts

Method:

Place bread soda, oil and the yogurt in a mixing bowl.

Using the same yogurt tub measure 2 tubs of porridge oats and add to the bowl. Add your favourite seeds or nuts at this point. Stir thoroughly.

Place in a greased standard loaf tin (2lbs/900g - 18.5 x 11.5 x 9cm).

Cook at 180°C (try a little higher for first attempt 200°C and then lower half way through).

Cook for approx. 45 mins (depending on your oven).

Five minutes before the end of cooking time, remove the bread from the tin and cook for remaining 5 mins.

Remove from the oven and leave to cool on wire tray wrapped in clean tea towel.
    Taboola wrote: »
    The one I make is this:

Ingredients:

• 1 large tub (500ml) of natural yogurt
    • 2 tubs of porridge oats (using the yogurt tub)
    • 1 tsp of bread soda
    • 1 egg

Mix altogether and place in a greased loaf tin. Cook at 180°C for 45mins and then take out and flip over and cook for an additional 15mins.

Ok so I gave the porridge bread a go this evening based mainly on the two receipes above. Definitely room for improvement.

So what I went with what was:

500g (not ml) of low fat glenisk natural yogurt
    2 yogurt tubs of porridge oats
    2 tsp of bread soda
    2tbsp of rapeseed oil
    1 medium egg
    1 tbsp of milk
    50g of mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds
    50g of crushed walnuts.

I got a tin and greased the bottom and sides with butter and then put some greaseproof paper in the tin also.
    I cooked it in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 40 minutes, then when I tried to take it out of the tin and the sides and the bottom got a bit stuck to the greaseproof paper.
    I took it out anyway and put it in the oven for another 10 minutes upside down (out of the tin)

I still felt it maybe could have been cooked a bit more and it was a small bit doughy to taste.
    Also the way the sides and bottom got stuck to the greaseproof paper was a bit annoying.

Any idea where I messed up?

See pics below of finished article and bits of the bread stuck to greaseproof paper.

2ilzbs4.jpg

2uz5lq8.jpg

I use the recipe dunjam has above, minus the oil.
    It used to never cook right in the middle, so then I decided to make scones out of it instead of bread. Works well!

If its still doughy in the middle it needs to be cooked for longer.
    The first recipe says 1hr and I think wholemeal bread in a loaf tin does take an hour to cook. You might have to turn the temp down a bit for the last 15 minutes. Try again, its looks lovely, worth the effort.

Greaseproof paper isn't much good, everything sticks to it. you need baking parchment.

Alternatively, rub butter all other the inside of the tin and add enough flour to stick to the butter. Works every time for me.
    I have to slide a flish slice down the sides of the tin to dislodge it, but the loaf come straight out.

If its still doughy in the middle it needs to be cooked for longer.
    The first recipe says 1hr and I think wholemeal bread in a loaf tin does take an hour to cook. You might have to turn the temp down a bit for the last 15 minutes. Try again, its looks lovely, worth the effort.

Greaseproof paper isn't much good, everything sticks to it. you need baking parchment.

Alternatively, rub butter all over the inside of the tin and add enough flour to stick to the butter. Works every time for me.
    I have to slide a fish slice down the sides of the tin to dislodge it, but the loaf come straight out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

@sundance_kid

That looks lovely, thanks for posting photos. Would definitely go with baking parchment the next time. Will have to get the finger out and try this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I get the loaf tin liners from Home base and never looked back.
    I use the the same recipe as Dunham, 200° for 20 mins, drop to 180° for 15, then out of tin and upside down for another 10-15 mins.
    I stick my seeds on the top (and push them in).
    Always super happy with it. Make two loafs a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I use Flahavan's recipe for porridge & yogurt bread, with a couple of modifications.

Ingredients:
    • 500ml Natural Yogurt (I use plain Greek yogurt for extra protein eg. Fage Total 0%, Glenisk, or Liberte)
    • 1 Beaten Egg
    • 300g Oats
    • 2 tsp Bread Soda
    • 1 tbsp Treacle (I don't add treacle)
    • 2 tbsp Mixed Seeds (I add 3 tbsp (pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower seeds))
    • 1/2 tsp Salt
    • 1 tbsp Flax Seeds
    Method:
    1. Place yogurt, beaten egg and treacle in a mixing bowl and stir well.
    2. Mix the oats, bread soda, seeds & salt in a separate bowl, add to the yogurt mixture and stir thoroughly.
    3. Place in a greased or parchment lined 2lb loaf tin, and bake at 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 for 30 mins.
    4. Lower temperature to 150C/300F/Gas Mark 2 and cook for a further 30 mins.

Ok so I gave it another go there the other night, this time I used baking parchment to line the tin and it worked perfectly, so thanks for the tip.

I also cooked it at 200 degree for 24 mins, meant to do it for 20 mins but forgot to check the clock.
    Then cooked it at 180 for for around 20 mins and then took it out of the tin and cooked it upside down for another 10 mins at 180.

Same ingredients as before, except a bit less mixed seeds. Have to say the crushed walnuts are lovely in it.

A few pics below, not great quality, probably looks a bit well done from the outside but it was grand.

2r5exah.jpg

w7nc3o.jpg

2qxnlmd.jpg

• Advertisement

That looks great sundance kid.
    If its a bit crunchy on top, then smooth down the mixture with a wet spoon and cut a slit along the top. This will live the top a neater finish. Maybe turn the 200 down to 190 next.

How did it taste ?

I tried this today. It was good. It did take over an hour to cook.
    I think I prefer wholemeal bread but I'll try it again.

Of the 5 people in my house, 3 loved it and 2 hated it.

huskerdu wrote: »
    That looks great sundance kid.
    If its a bit crunchy on top, then smooth down the mixture with a wet spoon and cut a slit along the top. This will live the top a neater finish. Maybe turn the 200 down to 190 next.

How did it taste ?

I thought it was really nice, the crushed walnuts are nice in it.

Will make it again tomorrow I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

We use those silicone trays you get in dunnes , we make 4 loaves at a time and freeze it. We use jumbo oats ( flahavans organic or aldi) non or low fat yoghurt (1 yoghurt to 2 jumbo oats ) 2 tsp baking powder and a good sprinkling of chia seeds . Cook at 180 fan for 1 hour remove from tray put back in oven on rack upside down for 15 mins with oven off. Take out put on cooling rack covered with clean tea towel. Delish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

janja wrote: »
    We use those silicone trays you get in dunnes , we make 4 loaves at a time and freeze it. We use jumbo oats ( flahavans organic or aldi) non or low fat yoghurt (1 yoghurt to 2 jumbo oats ) 2 tsp baking powder and a good sprinkling of chia seeds . Cook at 180 fan for 1 hour remove from tray put back in oven on rack upside down for 15 mins with oven off. Take out put on cooling rack covered with clean tea towel. Delish.

I prefer using regular oats. The jumbo ones are too "thick" for me and doesn't make the bread as smooth.

Advertisement