Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Helmet shop

• 05-02-2016 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hey guys. What's the best brick and mortar shop in Dublin with best helmet selection?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

In this order...Megabikes...Bike world...ebay.......:)

Bought all my crash hats on ebay...last one (AGV) came from Germany and was still cheaper than BW..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I would seriously consider a trip up to crossans in Newry, helmet selection is massive and you dont pay VAT!!!! Which will help negate the currency exchange.

Yes, you are paying the sterling but its getting better all the time and at least you can see whats on offer from all the best brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Duplicate post AGAIN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Second crossans, got both my lids there and they're top notch. Bit of a pain to find but worth the trip. Grab yourself some cheap hooch in newry while you're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Its hard to beat ze germans on price.
    Bought both my lids just before christmas from Germany,saved a fortune.:)

Crossans do have a very big selection of lids and visors too,free shipping on orders over 70 euro.
    Thread here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98033659&postcount=52

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97915544

• Advertisement

You also have the Northern Ireland motorbike festival show comming this weekend too.

You might get a good deal on a lid up there.

http://visit-belfast.com/whats-on/event/ni-motorcycle-festival-2016

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Cotters have a good range of lids

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭nightrave

Thank you so much guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭nightrave

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I would seriously consider a trip up to crossans in Newry, helmet selection is massive and you dont pay VAT!!!! Which will help negate the currency exchange.

Yes, you are paying the sterling but its getting better all the time and at least you can see whats on offer from all the best brands.

Could you explain the VAT part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

nightrave wrote: »

VAT is charged in Ireland on bike safety gear, and not in the UK. It's a stupid rule here, since safety gear is mandatory and isn't a 'luxury' item. So even aside from being cheaper in general, there's another sizeable chunk of money off due to no VAT up north, which usually more than makes up for a ****ty exchange rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

nightrave wrote: »

As helmets are deemed safety equipment, the UK does not charge VAT on them. The Irish government do, at 23%, so it makes buying a helmet here very expensive.

Im tell you lads,Germany or USA is the place to buy your lid.

Try the lid on here in a bricks n mortar shop and then buy it in from Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do USA lids confirm to EU standards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Del2005 wrote: »

Seriously...is that what keeps you up at night...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Seriously...is that what keeps you up at night...:rolleyes:

Work keeps me up at night.

Advising people to purchase helmets that might not confirm to the standards for use in the EU could have issues if someone has to use it and suffers head injuries, a non confirming helmet could result in partial blame being placed on the biker.

Del2005 wrote: »

Yes,if you do a search here you will see my post on the topic and the link I posted.

I bought my Suomi Spec R in from Revzilla in the USA and I bought my X-Lite x802r from Germany,aswell as my HJC Ben Spies RPHA 10 helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Helmets in the USA are subject to fairly rigorous DOT (dept of transportation) testing like those in the EU. The major difference is that helmets in the USA are not subjected to a 'slide' test which ascertains how the materials hold up in a sliding along the road surface scenario & fewer lids of a batch are chosen for random testing. I have a lid from the states & other than I know where it was made I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This is what I do. Tried the last one on in hein gericke in Newry, bought it in fc-moto.de
    Louis.de is another good site. I wouldn't buy without trying on though

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

What kind of savings are to be made buying online ? Personally I always buy my gear from a shop .

jay48 wrote: »
    What kind of savings are to be made buying online ? Personally I always buy my gear from a shop .

Im my case on 1 of my lids alone,200 euro cheaper.
    Thats alot of euros to be saving.:)

Try the lid on in a shop and then buy the lid online.

• Advertisement
Advertisement