Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hollywood bashing Catholics yet again

• 05-02-2016 3:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

When the Boston Globe's tenacious "Spotlight" team of reporters delves into allegations of abuse in the Catholic Church, their year-long investigation uncovers a decades-long cover-up at the highest levels of Boston's religious, legal, and government establishment, touching off a wave of revelations around the world

Some people will say this is fair game however I have yet to see a Hollywood film showing the horrors of the occupation of Palestine.

Also how much of the Films take is being donated to the victims of clerical abuse?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Some people will say this is fair game however I have yet to see a Hollywood film showing the horrors of the occupation of Palestine.

Also how much of the Films take is being donated to the victims of clerical abuse?

This film would have to outdo Titanic, Avatar and Star Wars combined for the victims of abuse under the Catholic Church to have enough money to put in the church envelope out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd be in the fair game camp! Hopefully they'll get wind of what happened here and is still happening here to people in state care and blow the lid off the whole system.
    I don't understand how the heads of the church, Garda and Politics have got away with what happened here, I do not believe that this wasn't known in all those circles.
    If it's a box office hit the sequel may be filimed here and that's a good thing.

I have yet to see a Hollywood film showing the horrors of the occupation of Palestine.

[/B]

Why the fukc is it "Hollywood's job" to display the occupation of Palestine based on your dislike of one movies display of child rape?

Why don't you just change the thread title to "Jews bashing Catholics" and be done with it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

You say they are bashing Catholics, how exactly are they doing this?
    The film should never have been made then? Or not released until they made one about Palestine first?
    Seeing as you are implying they should give money, how much they should give to the victims of the clerical abuse/Church cover-up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

You say they are bashing Catholics, how exactly are they doing this?

The film should never have been made then? Or not released until they made one about Palestine first?

Seeing as you are implying they should give money, how much they should give to the victims of the clerical abuse/Church cover-up?

Well since the point of the film is meant to be about the victims 1 or 2% of the profits would be a nice gesture.

• Advertisement

Well since the point of the film is meant to be about the victims 1 or 2% of the profits would be a nice gesture.

So do you still think the film should have been made or not?

And where's the Catholic bashing going on?

So do you still think the film should have been made or not?

And where's the Catholic bashing going on?

I don't like censorship and I believe Hollywood and the rest of the media are very selective in what they will touch.
    I just question the motives behind this film.

And I have no love for the church in Rome.
    I suppose they are going to make a movie about the Rape epidemic in Sweden also.

A bit like asking Gary Glitter fans or the BBC license paying viewers of "Jim'll Fix It" in the 70's and 80's to pick up the bill for compensating those individual's victims. Let the pope sell his castle to pay for raped children for all I care, why should the rest of us be expected to?

I just question the motives behind this film.

Why do you think Hollywood made this film?

And where is the Catholic bashing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

How about a film funded by the Irish film board documenting how the rch here has coughed up fcuk all compensation for their transgressions over the years...

Plenty of films out there about the illegal occupation of Palestine, they may not be Hollywood blockbusters but they are out there if you are willing to seek them out.

"Catholic bashing by Hollywood"? Stop messing and cop on, they deserve everything they get and more(as does pretty much every religion in fairness)

You with the iona institute(shudders...) by any chance?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

OP.. Can I ask have you seen the film ? aside from the promo trailer ? Saw the film tonight myself. I am not an expert on the actual goings on as regards that particular scandal, but there is no Catholic bashing in the film only certain individuals come over in a negative light. The story is more to do with the goings on of the spotlight team and how they went on to unravel the scandal and break the story. All of the Spotlight team were actually Catholic either lapsed or otherwise but the plot is not about bashing more about the intricacies of how they researched and broke the story. I'd say go and see it before you start the thread maybe...

As regards what is happening in Palestine etc.... many films made all be it not Hollywood. The Jewish lobby has an iron grip still in Hollywood since the golden age up to today can you think of any one character or film who or which has been cast in a negative light who was Jewish or a Jewish theme ?... maybe there were a couple but I can't remember. Many films made where of course where the baddie was black, American Indian, Irish, Mexican, Russian, White Supremacist yadda yadda... thats just how it is... sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Poor ikle paedophile priests getting picked on? Boo hoo!

Strumms wrote: »
    OP.. Can I ask have you seen the film ? aside from the promo trailer ? Saw the film tonight myself. I am not an expert on the actual goings on as regards that particular scandal, but there is no Catholic bashing in the film only certain individuals come over in a negative light. The story is more to do with the goings on of the spotlight team and how they went on to unravel the scandal and break the story. All of the Spotlight team were actually Catholic either lapsed or otherwise but the plot is not about bashing more about the intricacies of how they researched and broke the story. I'd say go and see it before you start the thread maybe...

As regards what is happening in Palestine etc.... many films made all be it not Hollywood. The Jewish lobby has an iron grip still in Hollywood since the golden age up to today can you think of any one character or film who or which has been cast in a negative light who was Jewish or a Jewish theme ?... maybe there were a couple but I can't remember. Many films made where of course where the baddie was black, American Indian, Irish, Mexican, Russian, White Supremacist yadda yadda... thats just how it is... sadly.

Yes that is my point.
    And no I did not see the film I seen this in the cinema a few hours ago.
    The trailer for Spotlight was the last one before the movie.

A fight for survival I would highly recommend the movie I seen tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Look you can't call it Catholic bashing and any criticism that is aimed towards the Catholic Church though whatever medium as regards their handling of child sex abuse and how they covered it up and how they dealt with the fallout is absolutely all on them and ****ing 1000% justified end of. nobody will be feeling sorry for them. If you do you are a cretin of the highest order. I save my sorry and sympathy for the victims, their friends and families and think how hard it was for them that they had to go through such experiences during and after and later when they had to battle for the truth to out, justice and some compensation and in this country the elite church still resisted when it came to putting their hand in their pocket and making it right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

It's Catholic-bashing insofar as it is about an expose of child abuse carried out by Catholic clergy and covered up/accommodated by that church... i.e. not Catholic-bashing at all. It casts a negative light on the church but this is obviously the abusers'/church's own doing, it's not singling them out for hostility just because of merely being Catholic. After all, many of the victims are/were Catholic.
    It's an indictment of abuse, which happened to be carried out by catholics. It's "child abuse bashing" (a fair form of bashing).

This is a massive issue which deserves a film about it (bizarre to think there's an agenda behind it other than a story about something that really happened and warrants being known). If Hollywood is hesitant to back movies that are an indictment against zionism, using this film (and the plight of the abused) isn't appropriate to make that point.

How do you mean "yet again", by the way?

Azalea wrote: »

How do you mean "yet again", by the way?

Harold & Kumar I can't remember which one was vile I won't get into it here.
    I have made my point maybe not to well but there goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What have 2 stoners ever done to you?

That's not Hollywood and they're comedies which take the piss out of Jews also btw, and other groups. Jewish comedy is regularly self deprecating.

How much of any film's revenue about victims of anything has been given to the victims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

You are using South Park as an example of catholic bashing? Every faith has gotten a hammering on that show.

As for Larry David getting piss on the picture of Jesus, that and the hooha that followed is a funny situation, not an all out attack on your faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What have 2 stoners ever done to you?

I'm wondering what the OP is smoking myself tbh. I can't make any sense of that opening post?

It's a film about an investigation by a team of dedicated people which led to the exposure of the magnitude of sexual abuse within the Catholic Church, and the OP appears to be complaining because nobody made a film about something else entirely?

What sort of whataboutery is going on there? I can't make head nor tails of it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Would you be complaining about a film focusing on operation yewtree as "Jimmy Saville bashing"?

Your hypocrisy is astounding. You want the makers of a movie to pay the victims of clerical sex abuse? How about the church pay their OWN victims for what they have done, why aren't you campaigning for THAT instead of complaining about pedophiles being exposed to the public?

Hundreds (if not thousands) of clergy are guilty of physically and sexually abusing many thousands of children over decades, and almost the entire clergy from the bottom to the very top are guilty of not only (repeatedly) covering it all up, but of allowing it to continue by moving priests around (and again, sometimes for decades), during arm tactics against victims families and paying hush money when they have to, and even now that they've been found out, they are still obstructing justice, hiding some of those responsible and refusing to compensate their victims for the damage they have caused.

A group of reporters helped to expose them, but still they refuse to do what is right, and the story is so shocking and outrageous that Hollywood decided it would make a good movie, so they made it, again drawing attention to the heinous behavior of the this morally corrupt organisation even to this day.

You want to end what you perceive as "Catholic bashing"? Well the rest of us want the perpetrators of the largest case of mass child sexual abuse in the world to pay for their crimes and to compensate their thousands of victims for the horrors they are responsible for.

What really scares me is the amount of people who are able to perform the ridiculous level of mental gymnastics it takes, not just to remain part of this morally corrupt organisation, but to actively defend them against their continually indefensible behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

If an organisation doesnt want to be "bashed" then they probably shouldn't spend years covering up their abuse of children.

Considering the OP's posting history on other religious groups I would have expected him to be all for this. Seeing more antisemitism than "Catholic bashing" in this thread.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

IHMO The Catholick church deserves all the negative press it gets AND so much more. I have zero sympathy for anyone associated with it who feels anything said against it is too harsh.
    They have destroyed countess lives in Ireland, literally (by letting babies die and anyone who has committed suicide as a result of their actions) and figuratively (by abusing children, covering it up and shaming single mothers and children born out of wedlock).
    I was loosely raised as catholic because it was the done thing. My folk both agreed not to force it upon us by making us go to mass every Sunday or making us pray or recite sh1te from the bible or whatever. We went to Catholic schools cos that was pretty much the only choice.
    My Da has stories of getting the sh1t kicked out of him by an alcoholic priest teacher simple for being. Regularly. His folks were powerless to do anything about it. It just WAS back then. Like it or lump it.
    Well no more.
    Sure, there may be good priests who care and give a damn etc but the whole organisation is rotten to the core IMO and has had FAR too much influence in Ireland for FAR too long. It STILL has!

/rant.

The Jews Control Hollywood! You can only laugh.

Thread reeks of anti Semitism. How dare dem Jews show child rape in a bad light when something something about the Gaza Strip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Lets bash them catlicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Not actually remotely relevant in any way whatsoever.

(I'd happily watch one though...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

A film exposing the worlds biggest pedo organisation, what's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Superhorse wrote: »

Look at them,they're bashed.

Superhorse wrote: »

Because it's the Jews what are mean to our good Cattlick child rapists, and they should leave us alone cos of the thing in the Gaza thing.

I don't think I've seen a poster use anti Semitism to stand up for child rape before, but the OP manages it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

How oversensitive do you have to be to have a problem with these videos / film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

The church has spent long enough bashing Hollywood immorality, condemning films like "life of Brian" etc.

What's sauce for the goose and all that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The RCC in this country has lost all credibility and has yet to reap what it has sown.

The days that it called the shots are well and truely over thankfully. We can only look forward to the its decline and collapse, which can't come fast enough imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is there any actual catholic bashing in this movie or am I being led on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I don't like censorship and I believe Hollywood and the rest of the media are very selective in what they will touch.

If everyone was as selective in what they touch this movie wouldn't have to be made :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Jimmy Saville was a catholic btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I saw the film last night.

It was completely accurate in its depiction tbh. I will watch with glee respect for the RCC gradually peels away over the coming decades. They are rotten to their very core and deserve every ounce of criticism leveled at them.

There is literally not enough money/apologies in the world to make up for what they put millions of kids through over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

How is depicting actual events catholic bashing? What about the horror that millions of kids were put through? Sounds like you'd rather the abuse was kept covered up and never discussed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

smash wrote: »
    Is there any actual catholic bashing in this movie or am I being led on here?

I'd be dissapointed if there wasn't any. I might just go and bash some catholics myself beforehand in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm so angry I'm off to bash the bishop.

OP

"Wait a sec, a film that AH goers would like and whose subject matter they'd support? I *have* to find an angle to post bile to rile them"

*posts*

rabble rabble rabble

OH: *smugface*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

I guess Schindler's List was nazi bashing then OP?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

A film made covering how a Boston newspaper and it's Catholic staff local to the city (Boston) where Catholic on Catholic crimes were committed investigated the story behind the crimes and reported on it - how exactly is that Catholic bashing? Re one of the actors, Paul Guilfoyle was born in Boston, so he's a native son of the city. I'd surmise from his surname that he's an Irish-American and possibly RC (though I don't know those to be facts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Here ya go, for the sake of 'balance': The Catholic Church bashing on a popular film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Here ya go, for the sake of 'balance': The Church bashing on a popular film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Any and every criticism of the church is seen as Catholic-bashing, it's unavoidable and people will come out with their mental gymnastics feeling personally attacked.

The church dug their own grave with their handling of immensely horrible crimes and gross abuse of power throughout multiple nations. Decades of doing this has finally caught up with them, time & time again on a ridiculously common level it has been shown how corrupt and rotten to the core the organisation is.

They deserve every single bit of scrutiny to pull apart the house of secrets they've desperately tried to maintain at the cost of an enormous amount of victims, lest we forget what terrible things they've tried to hide from the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Anyone who thinks this film is "Catholic bashing" either hasn't seen the film or is willfully ignoring the facts of the widespread abuse cover-ups within the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Because it's the Jews what are mean to our good Cattlick child rapists, and they should leave us alone cos of the thing in the Gaza thing.

Yup it's that well known Jewish writer Tom McCarthy having a go at them Catholics again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Sorry OP, but just because you may wish these problems to never have happened or feel sensitive about them doesn't mean that they didn't happen or shouldn't be discussed.

The Catholic Church did a lot of serious wrongs a lot of very vulnerable people who trusted it and has until very recently attempted to prevent proper investigation of these things.

You can't have an organisation behaving like that and expecting to retain global respect.

Respect is *earned* or lost by your actions. It's not something you just get because of your title.

The Catholic Church is going to have to just accept what happened and accept that it is going to be critiqued about it by the media and everyone else, including plenty of Catholics!

It's arguably STILL not really dealing with it properly.

You cannot just continue to sweep these issues under the rug just because they upset you. They happened and they need to be resolved and measures put in place to ensure that they simply cannot EVER happen again.

It's also not "Catholic bashing" to point out the flaws of the organisation. That's very legitimate critique. The organisation or its affiliates attempting to hide behind notions of blasphemy or religious discrimination is absolute cowardice! Deal with the reality of what happened and put it right!

I sincerely hope the Catholic Chuch is grown up and self confident enough not to pull that stunt.

I just think it's hilarious that the opening post has actually been thanked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Azalea wrote: »
    I just think it's hilarious that the opening post has actually been thanked.
    Maybe they liked the movie? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement