Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database Style Website

Options
  • 05-02-2016 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at trying to get a basic database style website made.

I have exactly what I want but....its in excel with macros stuck in left right and centre.

This is grand for me but when I give it to other people to use, they break it.

So really what I want to know is how big a job it is to set up a website like this. I don't want to do it, I want to know roughly what it will cost me (Hundreds, thousands, ect)

I need to be able to upload an excel file on a daily basis containing data
    I need then to be able to fill in a form based on this data and other prestored data.
    I need to be easily able to edit this pre stored data.
    I need to be able to print this form and what has been entered into the form and save it for future information.
    I need to be able to go back into the entry and edit it.

How big a job is something like this to do?
    As I said I have exactly what I want and need in an excel sheet but that is no good when I am giving it out to others.

Many thanks,

J

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Jonny303 wrote: »
    How big a job is something like this to do?

Unless we have a psychic amongst us, nobody is going to be able to give you any guidance based on the information you've given.

It's just not possible from your post to estimate the scale of your spreadsheet or the functionality of your macros.

If I were to offer a ballpark based on the above, €500 - €15,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You seem to be jumping to a specific implementation rather than a properly architected solution to whatever problem or process you are addressing.

Shifting excel files all around the place is possibly not the most effective or easily maintainable solution to whatever you are trying to do.

If you can state the problem rather than a proposed solution for an ill defined problem there may be a better (or even easily adaptable off the shelf) solution to your needs. As it stands it is a how long is a piece of string question.

Depending on the importance of the data collected, the data collection and manipulation you describe may be only a part of the solution. Other concerns such as hosting, availability, redundancy, data retention, backup and restore, disaster recovery may all also need to be taken into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

I'll second Graham and FishOnABike.
    From your description you appear to be asking someone to move your Excel problem online rather than looking for an alternative, possibly online, solution to what ever it is you are trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

From your description you appear to be asking someone to move your Excel problem online rather than looking for an alternative, possibly online, solution to what ever it is you are trying to do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

M.T.D wrote: »

+1

OP, start by describing your problem not your solution.

Your problem isn't moving excel spreadsheets. Your problem is whatever your doing/tracking/calulating/recording/asking people to do with the spreadsheets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement