Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers -Stillorgan Area

Options
  • 05-02-2016 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good butchers in the Stillorgan area? Happy to go a little further afield like Dundrum/Mount Merrion etc if there is somewhere good!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

http://fenelons.ie/

In the shopping centre itself.

Dublin Meat Company in Lidl unit across the road for bulk purchases can be good.
    http://www.dublinmeatcompany.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

whiskeyman wrote: »
    http://fenelons.ie/

In the shopping centre itself.

Dublin Meat Company in Lidl unit across the road for bulk purchases can be good.
    http://www.dublinmeatcompany.com/

Thanks,

I've tried Fenlons and wasnt too impressed with their striploin (which my bf had). however my fillet was nice enough, so would try them again.

Don't like the idea of Dublin Meat Company and others like them, where everything is prepackaged and there is no traditional counter where you can just point to what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

You might not like the idea but some of them (like Just Eat Meat off Kilmacud) are actually very good. Worth a try just once to see if it changes your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

unfortunately there are not many butchers in the area. I'm lucky enough to work in town so get my meat in Fallon and Byrne. I was in Lawlor's Rathmines a while back but again wasn't overly impressed. Like Fenlons it was way overpriced and not a great selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

If you dont mind travelling you should visit Wilsons in Rathfarnham sc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The Meat Outlet in Kilmacud/Goatstown is excellent.

http://www.finnegan.ie/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=104018

If you dont mind travelling you should visit Wilsons in Rathfarnham sc

We've just moved from Rathfarnham where I used to go to Wilsons for everything.

I still pop in there the odd time when I can but its not so convenient with work etc, so would like to have a more local alternative.

Maybe Wilsons has just left me with standards that are too high!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

There's an FX Buckley in deansgrange that was good when I tried their meat.

I gave the Dublin meat company a go and wasn't impressed. Their chicken left so much water behind when roasted. Their mince was great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Thanks,

I've tried Fenlons and wasnt too impressed with their striploin (which my bf had). however my fillet was nice enough, so would try them again.

If you pop up to Aldi in Stillorgan / Sandyford, you''ll get the best steaks!
    Look for their 'finest' selection in the black boxes.
    Best steaks I've ever had... many on here will agree.
    Fillet / Stiploin / Sirloin available.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    If you pop up to Aldi in Stillorgan / Sandyford, you''ll get the best steaks!
    Look for their 'finest' selection in the black boxes.
    Best steaks I've ever had... many on here will agree.
    Fillet / Stiploin / Sirloin available.

Yes, the Aldi specially selected range is great, especially when you're in a hurry.

I would miss having a good local butchers though. For those days when you want something a bit different, like a specific amount of beef for stirfry instead of whatever sizes packets happen to come in. I like the freedom of being able to buy just one chicken fillet if I'm cooking just for myself for example, and you cant really do that with most supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

We've just moved from Rathfarnham where I used to go to Wilsons for everything.

I still pop in there the odd time when I can but its not so convenient with work etc, so would like to have a more local alternative.

Maybe Wilsons has just left me with standards that are too high!
    Id view Winsons as one of the best butchers in Dublin. I go down from Terenure just for their sausages alone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

John O'Reilly on Deerpark Rd, opposite the old Flanagans. Top notch.

Id view Winsons as one of the best butchers in Dublin. I go down from Terenure just for their sausages alone

Yeah its definitely up there alright. At Christmas I saw a queue of about 40-50 people outside and they had extra staff on just to manage the queue!

First Up wrote: »
    John O'Reilly on Deerpark Rd, opposite the old Flanagans. Top notch.

Thanks, this could definitely work for me location wise so will give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

you could try David Seaver beside the old Playwright Pub in Newtownpark, good butcher and nice personal service

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Dunnes in Donnybrook is a great butchers. Closer to stillorgan there's a nyham butcher in Dundrum shopping centre and a Doyles in the old shopping centre.

Advertisement