Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil 2016

Options
  • 05-02-2016 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭

Early days but we may as well get started arguing about routes :)

I've made a draft route that takes in all the old favourites and adds some new fun hills.

It's a good bit longer than the last few years. Might call for 2 coffee stops :D

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/11945074

Post alternatives here. And remember - it's supposed to be hard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

286km / 5400m elevation

... still technically a 200! :D

Thanks for getting rid of the Lake Drive (at least in part). I have some unreasonable hatred towards that slog.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

286km is probably a bit much for me. I'd need to start now to finish before the W200

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thanks daragh. If I cycle from home it will be over 350k with 6,000m climbing! :eek:

Is it happening on the traditional day before the WW200? Any interest in having it at a different time?
    Alek wrote: »
    ... I have some unreasonable hatred towards that slog.
    +1 - It seems to go on forever and is deceptively 'draggy'.!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Maybe the weekend before?

Any weekend in June is fine for me. Or Thursday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

I didnt think I would finish it last year but the pint near the end in Johnny Foxes was one of the best I've ever had. I said at the finish I might try a 300KM this year. I think this will do the job nicely. Would like to do it on a weekend thats not the same as W200 so if thats a goer I'll head out then. Good warm up for the Alpes if its on before August

I didnt think I would finish it last year but the pint near the end in Johnny Foxes was one of the best I've ever had.

My thoughts exactly! This year they're on me :)

Good stuff. I'll amend the Route so that Johnny Foxes is the finish. :)

Uh oh.

;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Are you guys looking to do that the day before the W200 AND do the W200?
    Hats off if you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Hats off if you are!

terrydel wrote: »
    Hats off if you are!
    That is the tradition as the WW200 makes an excellent recovery ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

4am start to get done by Dusk?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Inquitus wrote: »
    4am start to get done by Dusk?

as soon as there is light

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Assassins.

I'm exhausted from following the route on ridewithgps ;)

godtabh wrote: »
    as soon as there is light

Aye I checked 4:05 is dawn, 10:46 is dusk. Need to nip 30 mins off of either end to eliminate the need for lights, so you have 18 hours to do 286km, I am going to assume 4 hours of faffing / breaks, so you need a 20kph average, which is very doable, but t'will be a savage hard day on the bike, one worthy of the moniker, Boards Evil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Make it a 24-hour event. Getting up too early is unnecessary suffering.

Aye I checked 4:05 is dawn, ...
    Meet you at the Lord Mayor's at 3.15am and we'll head over to the start line! :)

Meet you at the Lord Mayor's at 3.15am and we'll head over to the start line! :)

Deal sir!

• Advertisement

Aye I checked 4:05 is dawn, 10:46 is dusk. Need to nip 30 mins off of either end to eliminate the need for lights, so you have 18 hours to do 286km, I am going to assume 4 hours of faffing / breaks, so you need a 20kph average, which is very doable, but t'will be a savage hard day on the bike, one worthy of the moniker, Boards Evil!

Yeah at this stage we should just drop the 200. We are we kidding

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If I'm suitably recovered, and its not on the weekend the WW200 is on as im cycling elsewhere that weekend, ill give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Ah jaysus..............

Thread Bump.

Let's try and fix a day for this.

How about Saturday the 4th of June? Meeting under the bridge at Dundrum as usual. Rolling out at 8?

That's the weekend before the W200 and a week after the Mick Byrne.

(I'm marshalling at the Wicklow 200 and am unlikely to get a full day pass for the 11th as well).

I'll likely be there but unlikely to do the distance.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Thread Bump.

Let's try and fix a day for this.

How about Saturday the 4th of June? Meeting under the bridge at Dundrum as usual. Rolling out at 8?

That's the weekend before the W200 and a week after the Mick Byrne.

(I'm marshalling at the Wicklow 200 and am unlikely to get a full day pass for the 11th as well).
    Bummer - I'll be doing M2M that weekend. :(

@Wishbone Ash

It's probably a bit short for you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I'm in for the 4th of June. Bank holiday weekend so might just make it back for work on Tuesday

Il be doing mb200 after 3 weeks of no cycling, so evil a week after may be too much for me. Either way ill be there but may bail out earlier this year.

• Advertisement

Looking at the route again there's a major decision point at 200km, turn left and head back to dublin, or turn right for laragh and another climb up to Sally Gap from Roundwood!

Advertisement