Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

On call this weekend unfortunately, can't stray out of phone coverage or more than 30 mins from house:( "enjoy" the day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

On call this weekend unfortunately, can't stray out of phone coverage or more than 30 mins from house:( "enjoy" the day

You expecting something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Anyone lurking around this thread who is thinking this might be a bit extreme - come along and have a go. It's very doable if you give yourself enough time and adopt a steady pace.

The key to getting around is not to try and race anyone. Just go at your own pace, enjoy the best of Wicklow in the sun and you'll have 200k done before you know it.

If anyone is out for a spin and wants to tag along for a bit keep an eye out for us. Bound to be a few in Boards kit. I'll be in St. Tiernan's gear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

daragh_ wrote: »
    Anyone lurking around this thread who is thinking this might be a bit extreme - come along and have a go. It's very doable if you give yourself enough time and adopt a steady pace.

The key to getting around is not to try and race anyone. Just go at your own pace, enjoy the best of Wicklow in the sun and you'll have 200k done before you know it.

If anyone is out for a spin and wants to tag along for a bit keep an eye out for us. Bound to be a few in Boards kit. I'll be in St. Tiernan's gear.

Couldnt agree more. The last two years I've done it I've done as much as I could and really enjoyed it.

There will be abilities across the board. Lads will be up the road and lads will be taking it easy.

I've the day booked off. No wife or kids to worry about for the whole day so I'll head out aim to turn back on the last pass of Sally Gap with an expected distance of 250km.

I'll pop in to Johnny Foxes on the way home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Its merely on my to do list for the summer but wouldn't be able for it this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Just go at your own pace, enjoy the best of Wicklow in the sun and you'll have 200k done before you know it

http://img.memecdn.com/they-said_o_225644.jpg

Alek wrote: »

You'll be tired to have nightmares. On the bike its a different story (only joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Hmmmm... I haven't a hope of completing that but I'll be in that vicinity at that time.
    Would it be frowned upon if I were to join you for the first 100 or thereabouts ?

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Hmmmm... I haven't a hope of completing that but I'll be in that vicinity at that time.
    Would it be frowned upon if I were to join you for the first 100 or thereabouts ?

The more the merrier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Daroxtar wrote: »

No it wouldn't be frowned upon. As Daragh said you can do as much as you want. Its a good chance to meet up with some Boards members and its gonna be a cracking day by the looks of it.

Finish it or not, there is no medals or certs at the end so its up everyone how much they do.

• Advertisement

No it wouldn't be frowned upon. As Daragh said you can do as much as you want. Its a good chance to meet up with some Boards members and its gonna be a cracking day by the looks of it.

Finish it or not, there is no medals or certs at the end so its up everyone how much they do.

The be fair we can all boast about here for just turning up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Argh!.. I most certainly would have had a crack at this (seeing as the MB200 was so much fun :S) but already made plans for cycling on Saturday :( Enjoy all. I'm very jealous!

I hope not! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

daragh_ wrote: »

A bit extreme in the same way the pope is a bit religious?

I'll be around the Wicklow hills at some point on Saturday and may try covering some of the route, but there's way too many nasty ramps in there for one day for this poor soul (~200k + 2.5k climbing left me pretty shattered last weekend without anything tougher than Wicklow and Sally gaps).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Aaahhh shíte. Thought it was Sunday. Sorry :(
    Don't suppose anyone will be doing a lap of honour on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

fyi
    There's a post on the Party Bus about Glencree to Sally Gap being closed to traffic (not bikes...?) for resurfacing.

bbolger wrote: »
    fyi
    There's a post on the Party Bus about Glencree to Sally Gap being closed to traffic (not bikes...?) for resurfacing.

They are closing a busy tourist route on a bank holiday weekend? Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

godtabh wrote: »
    They are closing a busy tourist route on a bank holiday weekend? Muppets.

I'm up that way tomorrow so will chance my arm, looks ok for Sat though

https://twitter.com/wicklowcoco/status/738312911446265856

bbolger wrote: »
    I'm up that way tomorrow so will chance my arm, looks ok for Sat though

https://twitter.com/wicklowcoco/status/738312911446265856

I read that as Thursday, Friday and Tuesday

I was up there on Monday and they had the road closed going towards glenmacnass from the Sally gap crossroads but the lad standing there let me through as they were only really working on a 200meter section. It was also open as far the waterfall coming from laragh.

Anyway by the time we get there id reckon if there is any road works on Saturday they'll be long gone home

• Advertisement

I read that as Thursday, Friday and Tuesday

That's what I see, see no problem then

Lads I'm thinking of starting early. Its gona take me 12-14 hours to do it so would rather be back around 6 rather than 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Lads I'm thinking of starting early. Its gona take me 12-14 hours to do it so would rather be back around 6 rather than 8

Your effectively riding a really difficult 300k ride.

They normally start at 6 for good reason.

With sun out is another reason.

On bike since 5 this morning. Long sleeve Base layer and neck covered. Reduces messing with suncream. I do the same when in hot weather in Europe.

Enjoy

ford2600 wrote: »
    Your effectively riding a really difficult 300k ride.

They normally start at 6 for good reason.

With sun out is another reason.

On bike since 5 this morning. Long sleeve Base layer and neck covered. Reduces messing with suncream. I do the same when in hot weather in Europe.

Enjoy

If I ride during the week I'm normally out at 5 so an early start wont bother me. The sun will bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I can't really start before 8 for Family reasons. It will be the guts of 12 hours+ including stops and faffing about. I don't plan on spending hours sitting about in Laragh - water and food restocking and a quick coffee maybe. Last year I found it really difficult to get going again after the stops.

8 is fine with me. If i'm out the door before i warm the milk for the kids ill get one of those looks of the wife, plus it give me a bit of time for breakfast

godtabh's house is empty tomorrow so easier for me.

I'm sure we'll cross paths at some stage.

My family is away so I can start at any hour... but not having started anything as late as 8 for a looong time, I need to see how it is ;)

• Advertisement

I may or may not be at dundrum at 6. If anything else I'll get a good laugh of people doing the walk of shame

Advertisement