Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil 2016

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

That Clara Church climb was one of the toughest of the day. There is no rolling into it at all. You go from a step descent into a horrible climb on a bend. Surface is terrible as well.

On top of that we met 10 or so motorbikes coming down. They looked freaked out at the gradient and there was no way they could stop so we had to hug the left of the road.

It was deadly :D

Hardest bit for me was the climb out of Lacken to loop around to Ballysmuttan Bridge. It's not particularly steep but the surface is brutal and it came right after the 200k mark when there was nothing left in the tank. It was just me, several hundred contemptuous sheep and the thought of 2 more climbs over the Sally Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Well done to everyone that attempted and finished this. If you can do this, you can do pretty much every single-day sportive around the globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

godtabh wrote: »
    This might be too early for 2017 but what about keeping to the 200 next time but try and max out the climbing? Saturday was the first time I've ever climbed above 4000m. Could we do a route of 200km with say 4500m? I dont know the Wicklow mountains well enough to know.

Here you go godtabh. Maybe for 2017 or even for next month?

https://www.strava.com/routes/5290293

I've put lake drive near the start

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'd do that next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Looks good. I'd just do the loop under Laragh in the other direction :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Here you go godtabh. Maybe for 2017 or even for next month?

https://www.strava.com/routes/5290293

I've put lake drive near the start

You could put the Clara vale church bit in and come to Rathdrum along the left bank of the Avonmore, you've another 100m ascent there for little extra distance, including Rathdrum hill.
    Or even just down the first left in rathdrum and up the hill by the train station for 2km/66m extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Some pretty rough surfaces covered by you lads the weekend...Well done
    The 2017 version looks within my range...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gave it a lash today but it got the better of me. Hats off to you daragh for completing it - some exceptionally tough climbs in there.

https://www.strava.com/activities/672812717

(I could have done with a MTB going over Sorrell Hill - shocking surface!)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Gave it a lash today but it got the better of me. Hats off to you daragh for completing it - some exceptionally tough climbs in there.

That's a savage effort! The weekend of the actual event was much better than the weather is now. Solo too... you're not making it easy for yourself at all.

Great ride!

Fair dues. Tough day with that wind. Hard Man Kudos!

• Advertisement

daragh_ wrote: »
    Fair dues. Tough day with that wind. Hard Man Kudos!
    Yea, the wind sucked the life out of me. Going up the Wicklow Gap was soul destroying.

Yea, the wind sucked the life out of me. Going up the Wicklow Gap was soul destroying.

Bet you did it faster than me! I crawled up it. Great job. When you recover give us a full report. What did you think of the Clara Vale climb etc?

Once again - well done!

daragh_ wrote: »
    ... What did you think of the Clara Vale climb etc?
    What a rude awakening! I was just thinking what a pretty bridge etc. and then it was just like being punched in the face. The only thing that kept me going was knowing that I'd never get clipped out before falling over. Red Lane was another eye opener, I never knew it existed.

Meant to say earlier that I messed up in the bit between Glenmalure and Rathdrum. Must have taken a wrong turn and only discovered it later so I had to try to work my way back on track. Made another few more minor mistakes also in Firhouse and Kilmacanogue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Red Lane was another eye opener, I never knew it existed.

I hate red lane

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CramCycle wrote: »
    I hate red lane
    The walls are very pretty. Just look at the walls.

Well done WA, a great effort but good to see the Evil living up to it's giant killing reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

What a rude awakening! I was just thinking what a pretty bridge etc. and then it was just like being punched in the face. The only thing that kept me going was knowing that I'd never get clipped out before falling over. Red Lane was another eye opener, I never knew it existed.

Meant to say earlier that I messed up in the bit between Glenmalure and Rathdrum. Must have taken a wrong turn and only discovered it later so I had to try to work my way back on track. Made another few more minor mistakes also in Firhouse and Kilmacanogue.

How did you feel the next day after the cycle? What did you eat for those 15 hours?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

How did you feel the next day after the cycle? What did you eat for those 15 hours?

He was out this morning so I reckon he is fine (he is superman after all).

Legs are a bit heavy but otherwise fine.

I didn't eat anything special during it. From what I can recall - pasta for breakfast (I hate porridge!), breakfast roll with chocolate milk at the filling station in Kilmacanogue, soup and brown bread in the hippy cafe in Laragh, curry chips in Rathdrum, sandwich and chocolate milk again in Laragh at the second crossing and a Yorkie bar going over Sorrel Hill.

No gels or special bars or any of that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Jaysus, I consume this amount of calories on non cycling days... :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

What a rude awakening! I was just thinking what a pretty bridge etc. and then it was just like being punched in the face.

Congrates on the ride! That road is a shocker all right, last time I took it I was looking for a shortcut back to Roundwood coming home from Wexford. Not a clever move. Very pretty though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement