Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 World Championship Gold Medals for Sonia?

Options
  • 05-02-2016 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2016/0205/765558-osullivan-could-be-awarded-world-cship-golds/

I would be absolutely delighted if this happened! Everyone "knew" at the time that the Chinese athletes were doped - the whole thing stunk to high heaven. Three athletes appearing from nowhere, from the same country and being by far the 3 fastest in the world over 3000m!!

Now, if only they could find a smoking gun for Szabo, Sonia could also get the Olympic gold she so richly deserves!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Agree.Hopefully it will be straight forward.The IAAF need to show now more than ever that they are serious on the drugs issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Not sure about this business of awarding medals to the next in line. By all means disqualify the cheats and remove their medals and placing from the record books. Not sure giving it to the next in line rights a wrong that was done 20 years ago. I have great time for Sonia as an athlete she represented us with dignity and worked hard for all she won over her long career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Not sure giving it to the next in line rights a wrong that was done 20 years ago.

Well, it's better than nothing!!

Of course the medals should go to the next in line :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,046 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Should there not be a statute of limitations in these things? It's one thing to award the runner up a medal within a few weeks/months, even a year or 2. But I'd question whether Sonia would even want to receive a medal 20 years later.

But it is good to see that the IAAF are getting their shop back in order...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I reckon a lot of athletes would he delighted with the recognition of a 1st instead of 2nd, 4th instead of 3rd but wouldnt have much interest in receiving a medal 10/15/20/years later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement