Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting Laurel hedge, which option to go for?

Options
  • 05-02-2016 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am about to order some Laurel for a new hedge to cover 35 metres inside a timber ranch railing fence already in place. I received the following advice from my nearest garden centre (I am a novice!):

"Yes, laurel sounds like a good choice given the requirements. Just make sure it’s not planted in dauby wet soil. Usual hedging size work out at a discount price of 3.75 each – about 2ft tall. I have cheaper bare-roots, but to be honest I don’t really like recommending them, as failure rate can be higher, especially in poorer soils, and the plants are smaller than the potted ones anyway. I can get bigger laurels in 5 litre pots for about €13 each (about 2 ½ ft tall, but a lot stronger and bushier than the 2 litre size). I can also get root balled specimens about 3-4ft tall very strong and bushy for about €22 each."

I also called into a nursery this week, Caragh Nursery and they have about 3 feet root-balled one's for a tenner, image is of one.

So I am wondering what is the best option, buy in pots or bare-root/rootball?

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I couldn't open the image so I looked at Caragh Nurseries site - heavens its difficult to understand, a bit of punctuation would go a long way!

Anyway you are going to need about 2 plants to a meter (min) so planting it with €10 plants is going to be very expensive. I would not choose Laurel anyway, but that is a matter of choice (the leaves are a bit big for going at with a hedge cutter).

Generally smaller (2 foot) is better and depends more on the turn around in the nursery. Small to medium recently lifted bare roots are good provided you get on with it now and don't allow them to lie around drying out while you plant. Root ball and potted are good so long as they have not been too long with their roots restricted - in a pot the roots tend to circle and its a bit difficult to get them going again. I would go for smaller, healthy and fresh looking plants bare roots or balled and buy a few extra (heel them in somewhere out of the way) to replace the few that you may lose.

duplicate

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

looksee wrote: »
    I couldn't open the image so I looked at Caragh Nurseries site - heavens its difficult to understand, a bit of punctuation would go a long way!

Anyway you are going to need about 2 plants to a meter (min) so planting it with €10 plants is going to be very expensive. I would not choose Laurel anyway, but that is a matter of choice (the leaves are a bit big for going at with a hedge cutter).

Generally smaller (2 foot) is better and depends more on the turn around in the nursery. Small to medium recently lifted bare roots are good provided you get on with it now and don't allow them to lie around drying out while you plant. Root ball and potted are good so long as they have not been too long with their roots restricted - in a pot the roots tend to circle and its a bit difficult to get them going again. I would go for smaller, healthy and fresh looking plants bare roots or balled and buy a few extra (heel them in somewhere out of the way) to replace the few that you may lose.

Thanks for the feedback. Site seems to be having some trouble taking uploaded image.:mad: You say you wouldn't go with Laurel due to the leaves, what would be your preference out of interest?

I honestly don't have a lot of experience with hedges, and it does depend on the environment to some extent. Urban or rural, what kind of look you are going for. Do you want to trim it tight or let it grow more naturally? I would find the dark green a bit too dark, and while there is a spotted laurel i am not mad about varigated leaves in hedges (which is entirely a personal thing and should be ignored!).

Hornbeam would be a good alternative, while not strictly evergreen it will hold its autumn leaves like a beech, and the fact of it growing new leaves gives variety at different times of the year.

duplicate (eventually I will remember to not use the quick reply option...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

OP Laurel is ideal and unlike what others would have you believe, it is easily cared for/trimmed with a hedge trimmer unless you are using a cheap blunt electric one.
    The type of hedge is a matter of personal choice and the size of the hedge is a monetary one, i.e. buy the largest ones you can afford.
    Bare root is the way to go at this time of year because it's the cheapest, unlike root-balled and container (pot) grower ones, bare root is only available during the dormant season.
    When choosing the hedge you want, you should look at existing hedges in other peoples gardens and make an informed decision and pick that you you like the most.
    Check out http://www.hedging.ie/ his range of plants is excellent and he is very competitively priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

OP Laurel is ideal and unlike what others would have you believe, it is easily cared for/trimmed with a hedge trimmer unless you are using a cheap blunt electric one.
    The type of hedge is a matter of personal choice and the size of the hedge is a monetary one, i.e. buy the largest ones you can afford.
    Bare root is the way to go at this time of year because it's the cheapest, unlike root-balled and container (pot) grower ones, bare root is only available during the dormant season.
    When choosing the hedge you want, you should look at existing hedges in other peoples gardens and make an informed decision and pick that you you like the most.
    Check out http://www.hedging.ie/ his range of plants is excellent and he is very competitively priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Would you think of beech hedging OP? I planted bare root beech edge about 4years ago(200m) and I have to say, I really like it. Just a thought. I think it worked out about €1.50 each.

Thanks Hoof.I like the Laurel yes, I want something hardy, that will grow quickly and looks the part and it seems to check all the boxes. My decision comes down to bareroot or potted. I know I have only 6 weeks left or so of the dormant season so need to get cracking!

My concern with the bareroot is we have had such a wet winter that the ground is pretty soaked, I would need some dry days, if we eve get any to dry things up a bit?

phkk wrote: »
    Would you think of beech hedging OP? I planted bare root beech edge about 4years ago(200m) and I have to say, I really like it. Just a thought. I think it worked out about €1.50 each.

I have considered them yes and I like the copper beach especially but my better half isn't so keen so that ruled them out! We both like the Laurel so it will be fine, thanks though appreciate the input

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Get the cheapest bare-root plants. Laurel is really quick growing and easy to establish. Your problem will not be in getting these plants to grow, it will be keeping them at a manageable size.

There's a smaller type of laurel with reddish leaves called Portuguese laurel.
    Also there is escallonia and various viburnum species which make a nice easy to control evergreen hedge, but are not too formal or "urban" looking.

recedite wrote: »
    Get the cheapest bare-root plants. Laurel is really quick growing and easy to establish. Your problem will not be in getting these plants to grow, it will be keeping them at a manageable size.

There's a smaller type of laurel with reddish leaves called Portuguese laurel.
    Also there is escallonia and various viburnum species which make a nice easy to control evergreen hedge, but are not too formal or "urban" looking.

Thanks. A follow up question to that, with the winter being so well, wet, the ground is pretty soaked, can the bare-root plants be planted or do I need to hope for a dry spell before the dormant period runs out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Laurel is cheap because it grows wild and vigorously. Eventually it overpowers even the most diligent of gardeners, so think carefully. Cheap plants like cheap trees will eventually come back and haunt you, most regret the original decision.

There are many options available, I am very surprised just how few have featured in the discussion.

There are many factors to be considered, not least variety, price, size etc.
    Bare root stock is usually used for very new and very immature planting which will be minded. Although cheap as much as 70% of the plantings can fail. Bare root is a completely different product and is usually a preferred and cost effective alternative (especially for larger sizes) to container grown stock. Rootballed/container stock have well developed root systems, and will provide an immediate and finished result.

Ordinary Laurel like Leylandii, should IMO be banned from urban garden areas.

Maximus_1 wrote: »
    A follow up question to that, with the winter being so well, wet, the ground is pretty soaked, can the bare-root plants be planted or do I need to hope for a dry spell before the dormant period runs out?
    The opposite really, you'll have to make sure they don't dry out during their first summer, whereas with pot grown plants you could probably just leave them alone after planting.

I'd mix some dry moss peat and compost if you have it, with the local topsoil, and use that to backfill the planting holes, working it in around the roots. It will be easier to work with then (compared to the wet clumpy clods)
    Then water in afterwards.

Ordinary Laurel like Leylandii, should IMO be banned from urban garden areas.
    Nothing wrong with these, if people keep them under control.
    Of course, it is a big "if" :)

Advertisement