Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I have 3 overflowing wardrobes but no clothes....

• 05-02-2016 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭

Anyone else have this issue? I was actually late for work today (casual friday) because i couldn't bring myself to wear any of my clothes. I ultimately settled on something but I don't feel great in it.

I'm better during the week when the dress code is office casual, I have a good array of shirts, blouses, fine knit jumpers to pair with pencil skirts and cigarette trousers. I'm also good at dressing up for formal events, like weddings. I buy things that I like when I see them so when an occasion comes around, I always have something.

Its the day to day I struggle with. If I could get away with it I'd love to wear yoga pants the whole time but apparently thats not socially acceptable as I don't do yoga :(

What can I do to make me like my day time wardrobe? I've just turned 30 and I think this may be somewhat influencing my crisis.

Any investment pieces I should consider? I have terrible form for buying things on a whim and then never wearing them. I'm trying to get out of this pattern.

*Yes I know this is such a first world problem*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Why don't you keep a rail aside in one of your wardrobes. Plan in advance. Keep an eye on Pinterest. Avoid 'trends'. But some classic investment pieces like a fan black dress, some amazing blazers and great jeans. Honestly, join Pinterest and you will get amazing ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm not sure if my advice is any good to you, but I have kind of developed a casual wear 'uniform' like one would have for work clothes. Two pairs of black skinny jeans that would go with anything, three pairs of thick black leggings (love River Island for those), a few fine knit jumpers, a couple of polo necks, a few other nice tops and two or three casual day dresses. Then I have plenty of vest tops and plain long sleeve tops in black, grey and white, and a few pairs of black opaque tights.

I buy lots of the same 4-5 colours so that I don't end up with, for example, an odd yellow top, in a sea of black, grey, navy and maroon garments. I tend to steer clear of 'trendy' items or any loud prints. It sounds boring but if I keep everything tonal, I tend not to end up with individual garments I can't wear with anything I already have. Much of what I wear is a variation on the same theme, but it suits me and it means I have a very functional wardrobe. Also, if I find something I really really like, I try to buy it in another colour too.

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Why don't you keep a rail aside in one of your wardrobes. Plan in advance. Keep an eye on Pinterest. Avoid 'trends'. But some classic investment pieces like a fan black dress, some amazing blazers and great jeans. Honestly, join Pinterest and you will get amazing ideas.

Thanks, I've never really gotten to grips with Pinterest but maybe I should :)

Also, you're probably right that a bit of organisation would go a long way. I moved in the past few months and pretty much put stuff in wherever it would go, but maybe I'd see things a bit more clearly if it was better organised into sections.

I'm also thinking that maybe I need to do a cull and give stuff away to a charity shop. Its quite possible that I can't see the wood for the trees at this point!

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if my advice is any good to you, but I have kind of developed a casual wear 'uniform' like one would have for work clothes. Two pairs of black skinny jeans that would go with anything, three pairs of thick black leggings (love River Island for those), a few fine knit jumpers, a couple of polo necks, a few other nice tops and two or three casual day dresses. Then I have plenty of vest tops and plain long sleeve tops in black, grey and white, and a few pairs of black opaque tights.

I buy lots of the same 4-5 colours so that I don't end up with, for example, an odd yellow top, in a sea of black, grey, navy and maroon garments. I tend to steer clear of 'trendy' items or any loud prints. It sounds boring but if I keep everything tonal, I tend not to end up with individual garments I can't wear with anything I already have. Much of what I wear is a variation on the same theme, but it suits me and it means I have a very functional wardrobe. Also, if I find something I really really like, I try to buy it in another colour too.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Ilyana, solid advice there :)

I think I have done this a bit in the past but maybe have gone a bit wayward of late.

I think I'm mostly struggling with the Smart Casual end of Casual. LIke for example I love wearing (thick) leggings (I like the ones from Next - your bum won't show through) but they'd be a bit too casual for my office unfortunately.

Maybe some nice day dresses could bridge the gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I think I'm mostly struggling with the Smart Casual end of Casual. LIke for example I love wearing (thick) leggings (I like the ones from Next - your bum won't show through) but they'd be a bit too casual for my office unfortunately.

Maybe some nice day dresses could bridge the gap.

Would you get away with the leggings under a longline top/cardigan/jumper? Once the hips and bum are covered, I'd imagine they're hardly any different to jeans.

Day dresses are a saviour when you can't be bothered pulling together a whole outfit, and you can jazz them up with high heeled boots for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You have too much stuff. Get rid of the stuff you don't wear, see what you have and if you have something to match it with and maybe buy things to compliment things you already have. If you can't help limit your shopping, start buying more expensive stuff so you will have to think really hard weather it fits you well enough to part with the money.

The worst thing you can do is buy stuff because it's cheap and it will do. It never does. If you have three wardrobes full of clothing then you buy too much. Buy things because you need them not because you are bored or because you need a treat. There are a lot of badly dressed people around, not because they can't afford better but because they buy too much, follow the trends and never actually pause to think if it suits them. I not saying that is true for you but if you buy stuff you are truly excited about and don't overflow it with other junk, you won't be standing in front of a wardrobe and feeling miserable.

Edit: just to add, I have couple of tops that I love for about twenty years. I might wear them only every so often but I am keeping them. But majority of things that I haven't worn for a year get culled, so do things with holes or stains no matter how much I love them. If you keep them they will just overwhelm you when you open your wardrobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

It would be good to think about what you need from a capsule wardrobe. And then slowly start stocking up with good quality well fitting and versatile pieces that form the basis of your outfits. Google capsule wardrobes and you will get good ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Once you've gotten new clothes (I can't expand on the advice above), take photos of yourself in outfits that you like and have them on your phone. Then, next time you don't know what to wear, scroll through your photos till you find one you like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

You need to be brutal. I did a huge clear out recently and I feel so much better for it.

Think in outfits, not individual pieces. I had loads of skirts that I never wore, simply because I had a lack of tops to go with them. So, I picked my favourites, and then got a great black long sleeve top from Cos, and a white shirt from GAP, have worn all the skirts I kept in the last few weeks.

Try make outfits wth what you have, and if you can't think what you can reasonably buy to make it work - get rid.

The winter is nearly over, is there anything you have for winter that it didn't wear this year? DUMP IT!! You will not miss it!

Look at someone like Angela Scanlan for "off-duty" looks. Myself on the weekends, I would wear skinny jeans, some cool trainers, cosy knit or sweatshirt and a leather jacket, I also really like shirt-dresses. I'm 27 this year btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Anyone else have this issue? I was actually late for work today (casual friday) because i couldn't bring myself to wear any of my clothes. I ultimately settled on something but I don't feel great in it.

I'm better during the week when the dress code is office casual, I have a good array of shirts, blouses, fine knit jumpers to pair with pencil skirts and cigarette trousers. I'm also good at dressing up for formal events, like weddings. I buy things that I like when I see them so when an occasion comes around, I always have something.

Its the day to day I struggle with. If I could get away with it I'd love to wear yoga pants the whole time but apparently thats not socially acceptable as I don't do yoga :(

What can I do to make me like my day time wardrobe? I've just turned 30 and I think this may be somewhat influencing my crisis.

Any investment pieces I should consider? I have terrible form for buying things on a whim and then never wearing them. I'm trying to get out of this pattern.

*Yes I know this is such a first world problem*

Hello wife, I didn't know you were on here. ;)

• Advertisement

Twee. wrote: »
    You need to be brutal. I did a huge clear out recently and I feel so much better for it.

Think in outfits, not individual pieces. I had loads of skirts that I never wore, simply because I had a lack of tops to go with them. So, I picked my favourites, and then got a great black long sleeve top from Cos, and a white shirt from GAP, have worn all the skirts I kept in the last few weeks.

Try make outfits wth what you have, and if you can't think what you can reasonably buy to make it work - get rid.

Thanks ladies - all good advice! I have a charity bag on the go at the moment but might give it a bit more focus at the weekend. I seriously need to make some space because right now I cant even really see what I have.

I especially like the above advice - i think this may well be part of my problem. I have too many separates that I like in isolation but can't really think of what to wear them with, and therefore they don't get worn.

I think I'm getting better - just back from holidays and I hardly bought anything, just a pair of casual shoes which i know i can wear lots. I even went away and thought about them overnight before buying them to make sure i really wanted them.

Progress!

Advertisement