Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone R216 Wifi device

Options
  • 05-02-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭

Hello all
    Anyone on here have any experience of this device?
    I got one a couple of days ago because where I live(out in sticks) it was the only way I could get decent B/B speeds
    I am reasonably happy with the performance of this device, the range is a little short but that is easily rectified by just taking the device into the area of the house you want to use it,that's no biggie for me,it's a small price to pay for the increase in speeds I am seeing.

However,the reason I am posting is because I am seeing wide fluctuations in speedtest results.

I can get a test of 10mb down and 5mb up and them 10 mins later,even with the device being in exactly the same place and the laptop being in the same place as the previous test I might only be getting 1.5mb down and 1mb up.No other devices watering down the test either.I knocked off all other devices to see if that was the reason.

I fiddled around with the settings a little such as making sure that the frequency was set at 2.4GHZ and selected a different channel as it suggested on the help section but still going up and down like a fiddlers elbow.

Maybe these devices are prone to this sort of up and down readings?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Steve F wrote: »
    Hello all
    Anyone on here have any experience of this device?
    I got one a couple of days ago because where I live(out in sticks) it was the only way I could get decent B/B speeds
    I am reasonably happy with the performance of this device, the range is a little short but that is easily rectified by just taking the device into the area of the house you want to use it,that's no biggie for me,it's a small price to pay for the increase in speeds I am seeing.

However,the reason I am posting is because I am seeing wide fluctuations in speedtest results.

I can get a test of 10mb down and 5mb up and them 10 mins later,even with the device being in exactly the same place and the laptop being in the same place as the previous test I might only be getting 1.5mb down and 1mb up.No other devices watering down the test either.I knocked off all other devices to see if that was the reason.

I fiddled around with the settings a little such as making sure that the frequency was set at 2.4GHZ and selected a different channel as it suggested on the help section but still going up and down like a fiddlers elbow.

Maybe these devices are prone to this sort of up and down readings?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated :)

Mobile midband is a shared medium. So if there is anybody else using Vodafone for broadband in the area at the same moment you are doing a speed test, they will eat into the amount of bandwidth available to you. Also distance, trees and environmental conditions will all impact the signal quality and potentially reduce your speeds apparently randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Mobile midband is a shared medium. So if there is anybody else using Vodafone for broadband in the area at the same moment you are doing a speed test, they will eat into the amount of bandwidth available to you. Also distance, trees and environmental conditions will all impact the signal quality and potentially reduce your speeds apparently randomly.

Thanks very much for this advice.Could well be someone using Vodafone as well in our neck of the woods.
    Not really complaining as it's still vastly superior to the speeds I was getting down a copper wire from Eir.I was just curious as to why the huge fluctuations and if there was anything I could do...I'll live with it

Advertisement