Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Louth Constituiency

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

RTE website has a one minute film piece from each candidate.

http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/candidates/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

http://www.smartvote.ie/

Nice to compare your views with those on the ballad paper

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

GREAT post OP. well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Anyone care to make predictions?

Big Gerry, Imelda Munster, Declan Breathnach, Ged Nash, Fergus O Dowd.

Breathnach taking Kirks seat, Munster taking Fitzers.
    Would be shocked at any other outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Voters in West Drogheda/East Meath will be a bit pished off with their exclusion from this thread :)
    event wrote: »

I see there is already a split in the FF camp with the resignation yesterday of a former director of elections Of theirs because they have no candidate from South Louth running.Coffey is Drogheda based but is from Dundalk.
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/kierans-quits-ff-as-rift-deepens-34416108.html

I'd call it SF(2) FG(1)(O'Dowd) LAB(1)(Nash) IND(1)(?)

Slugger O'Toole predicts Meave Yore as a surprise IND winner.Has she any base outside of North Louth/Dundalk ?

http://sluggerotoole.com/2016/01/27/ge16-guide-to-louth-champagne-on-ice-for-a-sinn-fein-two-seater-certainty/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I would have been voting for Nash up until the whole Drogheda boundary review farce. He can swing for it now however.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Has it always been standard for the party leaders to be have posters of their own faces up? There's pictures of Kenny, Martin and Burton round Colpe now.

Funnily enough, not Adams though; seems to be they are really pushing Munster #1 and not massively putting Adams' face out there...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Has it always been standard for the party leaders to be have posters of their own faces up? There's pictures of Kenny, Martin and Burton round Colpe now.

Funnily enough, not Adams though; seems to be they are really pushing Munster #1 and not massively putting Adams' face out there...

Adams is on every pole around here. Fed up looking at them already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Adams can fcuk right off. From what I hear, he owns property in Belfast, Donegal and Clontarf. He can fcuk off and seek election in one of those constituencies, as far as I'm concerened. He has no right to seek election in Louth/East Meath. He only chose here because of our comparatively high proportion of "republicans" in this county - most of whom are nordies who came down here on the run in the 70s-80s. As far as I'm concerned, they can fcuk off up home too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We have a very poor choice in Louth. I can't remember it as bad. None of them appeal to me. I might even vote No.1 Maeve Yore who at least is working for a good cause i.e Special Needs children.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We have a very poor choice in Louth. I can't remember it as bad. None of them appeal to me. I might even vote No.1 Maeve Yore who at least is working for a good cause i.e Special Needs children.
    Think my vote will just be to keep Adams out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

delly wrote: »
    I would have been voting for Nash up until the whole Drogheda boundary review farce. He can swing for it now however.

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

The provos should have enough votes for two seats if they can get their vote management right.

O'Dowd should be OK for FG in south Louth. However, I think Nash will struggle.

There has to be one FF seat and I'd tip Fitzer for the last seat.

So 2 SF, 2FG, and one FF.

The provos should have enough votes for two seats if they can get their vote management right.

O'Dowd should be OK for FG in south Louth. However, I think Nash will struggle.

There has to be one FF seat and I'd tip Fitzer for the last seat.

So 2 PSF, 2FG, and one FF.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    What happened?

Long story short, he's been trying to get the boundaries changed round Colpe and the outskirts of Drogheda, so as to get the estates flipped from being in Meath to being in Louth, so he'd generate more votes.

The pro side, as he puts it, is "It is utter nonsense and goes against every principle of sensible planning to have, for example, 5,600 people living in estates on the fringe of Drogheda and expected their services to be delivered by Navan. Boundary lines should be drawn up according to regional need and not confined by traditional county divisions in cases where those boundaries are clearly out-dated."

(Source: https://www.facebook.com/GedNash/posts/818418171570229)

The downside, as far as I can tell, is that house values will be negatively affected, since "Meath" is nicer to have on an address than "Louth". I'm guessing there's more to it than that though?

I have to admit, on the surface, I don't see the big deal, but then I don't own my own house, and sign my address as "Grange Rath, Louth" anyway, and I'm a dirty Adams voter at the moment :P

The pro side, as he puts it, is "It is utter nonsense and goes against every principle of sensible planning to have, for example, 5,600 people living in estates on the fringe of Drogheda and expected their services to be delivered by Navan. Boundary lines should be drawn up according to regional need and not confined by traditional county divisions in cases where those boundaries are clearly out-dated."

Its unusual to get sensible thinking like that from politicians.

I might consider give him a vote now.

Long story short, he's been trying to get the boundaries changed round Colpe and the outskirts of Drogheda, so as to get the estates flipped from being in Meath to being in Louth, so he'd generate more votes.

The downside, as far as I can tell, is that house values will be negatively affected, since "Meath" is nicer to have on an address than "Louth". I'm guessing there's more to it than that though?

I have to admit, on the surface, I don't see the big deal, but then I don't own my own house, and sign my address as "Grange Rath, Louth" anyway, and I'm a dirty Adams voter at the moment :P
    Makes perfect sense. Some estates were split by the boundary up to this.

I'd admire him for this practical approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Don't think Jeff Rudd is running anymore. It's hard to call this one. It looks like Gerry Adams, Imelda Munster and Fergus O'Dowd are pretty nailed on but after that it's going to be a dogfight between Nash, Fitzpatrick, Breathnach, Coffey and Yore for the remaining two seats.. I've heard Mark Dearey mentioned as a dark horse but I'd be surprised if he's in the reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

To me, they sound like good reasons to vote FOR Nash, not against. Can't be what Delly was referring to.

• Advertisement

Its unusual to get sensible thinking like that from politicians.

I might consider give him a vote now.
    Makes perfect sense. Some estates were split by the boundary up to this.

I'd admire him for this practical approach.
    To me, they sound like good reasons to vote FOR Nash, not against. Can't be what Delly was referring to.

As I said, there might be more to it, or something else. Thats my understand of it, and is possibly very naive....

As I said, there might be more to it, or something else. Thats my understand of it, and is possibly very naive....

No you're spot on. That's all it was.

I looked up the latest RED C poll for Louth:

FF 14%
    FG 25%
    LB 10%
    SF 32%
    OTH 19%

There is nothing guaranteed in those numbers other than 1 SF and 1 FG.

Both FF and Labour are crazy running two candidates. If they both split their vote evenly they could end up without a seat.

On the other hand, both SF and FG need an even split to enhance their chances of two seats.

Turnout will be key, SF traditionally have a poor turnout while FG have benefited in the past from a higher turnout of their voters.

FF 14%
    FG 25%
    LB 10%
    SF 32%
    OTH 19%

Both FF and Labour are crazy running two candidates. If they both split their vote evenly they could end up without a seat.

On the other hand, both SF and FG need an even split to enhance their chances of two seats.

Turnout will be key, SF traditionally have a poor turnout while FG have benefited in the past from a higher turnout of their voters.

Since when?

If Coffey wins a seat i'll eat ten hats.

FF 14%
    FG 25%
    LB 10%
    SF 32%
    OTH 19%

More or less spot on there, amateur hour stuff from most of the parties. Doubt SF will get to the 2 seats and there could be a lot of rounds of counting and if it's as tight as it looks then a recount or 2 could give different results.

Since when?

It is a long standing trend. I don't know why it happens.

Stephen Collins is one of the commentators who have documented that SF tend to poll much lower in the actual election than in the opinion polls.

"The last Irish Times poll in May had Sinn Féin on 20 per cent of the vote, yet in the local elections a few days later it won 15 per cent. By contrast Fine Gael at 24 per cent and Fianna Fáil at 25 per cent won exactly the same share of the vote in the election as they got in the poll.

Something similar happened in the presidential election of 2011 when the party got 13.5 per cent of the vote having polled 18 per cent during the campaign."

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-performance-not-guaranteed-to-translate-into-votes-at-election-1.1956306

Not in Louth WH.

Not in Louth WH.
    That's because their vote in Louth is stronger. In Louth they'll likely match their national poll numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

More or less spot on there, amateur hour stuff from most of the parties. Doubt SF will get to the 2 seats and there could be a lot of rounds of counting and if it's as tight as it looks then a recount or 2 could give different results.
    Why do you doubt Sinn Fein will get two seats? Munster is a pretty strong favourite to get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fitzer might have a better chance if he could speak English.

Advertisement