Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Louth Constituiency

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As middle income workers we pay roughly 52% taxes and Levies. Add to that the Water Charges. You are taxed at source then VAT is added to everything you buy with the remainder. Hard to keep it in our pockets with those rates.

Sure you may as well add electricity, gas, petrol, etc as list Water charges. It's called expenses. And don't give the old we already pay for water line. Do those on group schemes and well and sceptic tanks get a tax refund do?
    It's not that I don't agree with the broad line of your argument but keep it real? Vat? Really? Not all goods are VAT rated and most states have VAT.

What alternative are there to taxes, to pay for services?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sure you may as well add electricity, gas, petrol, etc as list Water charges. It's called expenses. And don't give the old we already pay for water line. Do those on group schemes and well and sceptic tanks get a tax refund do?
    It's not that I don't agree with the broad line of your argument but keep it real? Vat? Really? Not all goods are VAT rated and most states have VAT.

What alternative are there to taxes, to pay for services?

The poster said we should keep our money in our pockets.
    I explained that that is impossible because of what's taken out of it before we get it and because of other taxes and charges afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

The best place for the money YOU earn is YOUR pocket. YOU can then look after YOUR own family.

I get your argument, race to the bottom, look after number 1, forget everyone else. Seems to be the way of the world these days :(

for FG to to say they are "abolishing" the USC is very misleading dont you think?
    And don't give the old we already pay for water line

I'd say there are a lot of people who wouldn't have minded paying extra from taxation for a clean water supply. Local authorities were starved funding since 2011.

The thing that goads some people is that a super quango was set up and some very 'friendly figures' close to the government were given nice roles and contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

mada999 wrote: »
    I get your argument, race to the bottom, look after number 1, forget everyone else. Seems to be the way of the world these days :(

for FG to to say they are "abolishing" the USC is very misleading dont you think?

But they are proposing to abolish the USC, and to replace some of it with a levy for the higher earners.

In terms of taxation, if I was convinced that higher tax would deliver better public services I would support it.

However, they don't. Higher tax goes towards pay rises for public servants who already earn more than me (or possibly you).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pen123

Seen Imelda Munster posters on the outskirts of Dundalk & letters were sent to female voters yesterday with Mary Lou pleading to women to elect Louth's first female TD. I would have thought Munster getting elected was straightforward enough but Shinners seem a bit worried.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well, Ged Nash is looking more fabulous recently...

http://i.imgur.com/2GuBEli.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I still haven't decided. May be a spur of the moment call when I reach the booth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

im going with nash, partly due to the amount of hate he get's on facebook from the anti everything brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Fitzpatrick in grave danger of losing his seat according to bookies odds. Breathnach has gone from sixth favourite to third favourite over the past week. It had looked like it was going to be a dog fight between Fitzpatrick and Breathnach for the final seat but now it seems it will be between Nash and Fitzpatrick. But as we've seen before bookies don't always call these things right. If I remember correctly yer man James Carroll was a very warm favourite to get in ahead of Fitzer last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Pighead wrote: »
    Fitzpatrick in grave danger of losing his seat according to bookies odds. Breathnach has gone from sixth favourite to third favourite over the past week. It had looked like it was going to be a dog fight between Fitzpatrick and Breathnach for the final seat but now it seems it will be between Nash and Fitzpatrick. But as we've seen before bookies don't always call these things right. If I remember correctly yer man James Carroll was a very warm favourite to get in ahead of Fitzer last time.

I'll be shocked if Nash doesn't get in. Seems to be very well liked around Shelbyville and East Meath could be a major factor also. Would have him as second favourite after Adams if I was a betting man.

I think all 4 TDs will be returned along with Munster

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I think Fitz might just sneak it.

Got a leaflet in the door (Dundalk) from Nash and it was all about what he's done for Drogheda, Drogheda, Drogheda. That's grand if I was in Drogheda but I'm not and not a mention in it for Dundalk. Very strange.

One of my worries would be a FG FF coalition, mainly because it would leave SF as the main opposition which could make them credible next time round...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I think Fitz might just sneak it.

Got a leaflet in the door (Dundalk) from Nash and it was all about what he's done for Drogheda, Drogheda, Drogheda. That's grand if I was in Drogheda but I'm not and not a mention in it for Dundalk. Very strange.

One of my worries would be a FG FF coalition, mainly because it would leave SF as the main opposition which could make them credible next time round...
    We got probably the same leaflet, he had the names of a good few schools that he was proud of getting new buildings for, no mention of the current rebuild in our area, again all Drogheda on the leaflet :confused: He actually gave out flyers to kids in the school yard to give to their parents

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I'm going to go for:

1. Mark Dearey
    2. Ged Nash

Not giving any more preferences after that, I can't bring myself to vote for any of the FF, FG or SF candidates. I am not totally against voting FG but I am not a fan of O'Dowd or Fitzpatrick. SF and FF are a definite no no. Renua too socially conservative, and the Independents seem particularly weak this time around, Weldon and Yore in particular being one issue candidates. Shame the Social Democrats are not running a candidate here, I like the cut of their jib so far anyway.

pconn062 wrote: »
    I'm going to go for:

1. Mark Dearey
    2. Ged Nash

Not giving any more preferences after that, I can't bring myself to vote for any of the FF, FG or SF candidates. I am not totally against voting FG but I am not a fan of O'Dowd or Fitzpatrick. SF and FF are a definite no no. Renua too socially conservative, and the Independents seem particularly weak this time around, Weldon and Yore in particular being one issue candidates. Shame the Social Democrats are not running a candidate here, I like the cut of their jib so far anyway.

Fair play for saying how you are going to vote.

I like Dearey but just can't look beyond the party he is standing for. I can still remember John Gormley backing Bertie Ahern to the hilt.

Some people are predicting Nasah as the next Labour leader. Apparently he does a lot for Drogheda, not much mention of Dundalk though.

Still finding it hard to find anyone decent to vote for or worth my number 1.
    Very frustrating.
    Can't ever remember a worse choice in a General Election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I like Dearey but just can't look beyond the party he is standing for. I can still remember John Gormley backing Bertie Ahern to the hilt.

Some people are predicting Nasah as the next Labour leader. Apparently he does a lot for Drogheda, not much mention of Dundalk though.

I agree about the Greens, but to me Dearey is the best of a bad lot. I like him as a candidate, and some of the Green party mandate appeals to me. Unfortunately I don't think he is going to get in, why oh why did Adams have to choose Louth to run in, means SF are now pretty much guaranteed two candidates.

pconn062 wrote: »
    I agree about the Greens, but to me Dearey is the best of a bad lot. I like him as a candidate, and some of the Green party mandate appeals to me. Unfortunately I don't think he is going to get in, why oh why did Adams have to choose Louth to run in, means SF are now pretty much guaranteed two candidates.

Yes the county is goosed.
    Deary is a nice lad but a wasted vote imo as he's never going to get enough votes to make it. None of the Ind candidates will do well either.

I agree with the comments about the poor choice of candidates. I've been voting for quite a few years and Louth has not been blessed with quality candidates in all that time.

All any of us can do is to try and made the best choice. Lets hope we end up with five TDs who will represent the county well.

I agree with the comments about the poor choice of candidates. I've been voting for quite a few years and Louth has not been blessed with quality candidates in all that time.

All any of us can do is to try and made the best choice. Lets hope we end up with five TDs who will represent the county well.

Being voting here since the early 1970's. We are starved of good candidates in Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Deary is a nice lad but a wasted vote imo as he's never going to get enough votes to make it. None of the Ind candidates will do well either.

Ah it's never a wasted vote with STV, though. At least he'd know he has some support and your vote gets reassigned.

Fierce dull election, lads. I don't want any of them elected. Re-open nominations!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Going on the TV3 debate and having listened to similar debates on LMFM and Drivetime, I hope Ged Nash gets back in. He is the only one who tries to speak about strategy with some idea about how to achieve goals. Labour will probably be out of government but at least he presents as a plausible candidate.

God help us all if Adams & Munster are both elected. Adams clearly has no idea of politics outside of criticising everyone else's policies with the usual "SF wants everyone to have blah blah" without paying taxes.

I'm not party political but if the country is left to SF to run, Nicola Sturgeon will seem like Mary Robinson compared to them!

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Going on the TV3 debate and having listened to similar debates on LMFM and Drivetime, I hope Ged Nash gets back in. He is the only one who tries to speak about strategy with some idea about how to achieve goals. Labour will probably be out of government but at least he presents as a plausible candidate.

Ged Nash will represent Drogheda well so I understand the people from there giving him their vote.

The most important thing is to get a government TD from your area who will be able to lobby their ministerial colleagues to ensure that additional investment in public services comes our way and is not all spent in other areas.

Opposition TDs are all well and good but all they do is talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pen123

Voting for:

1.Ged Nash
    2.Fergus O'Dowd
    3.Peter Fitzpatrick (don't have a high opinion of him but I would still take him over a FF candidate if it came down to that)
    4.Kevin Callan
    5.Mary Moran

no more preferences after that.

Hoping FG/Lab & Social Dems will have the numbers to form a government with a couple of independents if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Can't ever remember a worse choice in a General Election.
    How about last time? Pretty much the same rabble apart from a few independents who got about a 1000 votes between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Pighead wrote: »
    How about last time? Pretty much the same rabble apart from a few independents who got about a 1000 votes between them.

Yeah, but we didn't really know them the last time. There was still some hope! Plus last time was such an "anyone-but-FF" buzz. There was excitement to see the back of them.

Yeah, but we didn't really know them the last time. There was still some hope! Plus last time was such an "anyone-but-FF" buzz. There was excitement to see the back of them.

The boyos are back. :eek:

The Galway tent is being dusted off as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well, the deed is done. Time to sit back and enjoy the outcome now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭BQQ

Some people are predicting Nash as the next Labour leader. Apparently he does a lot for Drogheda, not much mention of Dundalk though.
    Ged Nash will represent Drogheda well so I understand the people from there giving him their vote.

The most important thing is to get a government TD from your area who will be able to lobby their ministerial colleagues to ensure that additional investment in public services comes our way and is not all spent in other areas.

Opposition TDs are all well and good but all they do is talk.

Don't know where you're getting this idea.
    He's done sweet F A for Drogheda in the last 5 years.
    We had high hopes for the first Drogheda candidate in government since as far back as I can remember, but it was a massive let-down.

Ditto Fergus O'Dowd, but he lost any influence he had with the heave against Enda.

BQQ wrote: »
    Don't know where you're getting this idea.
    He's done sweet F A for Drogheda in the last 5 years.
    We had high hopes for the first Drogheda candidate in government since as far back as I can remember, but it was a massive let-down.

Ditto Fergus O'Dowd, but he lost any influence he had with the heave against Enda.

There will be money to spend in the next five years.

That is the difference.

A government TD/minister helps get a slice of that. It shouldn't matter, but that is the way it works. Not just in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭BQQ

There will be money to spend in the next five years.

That is the difference.

A government TD/minister helps get a slice of that. It shouldn't matter, but that is the way it works. Not just in Ireland.

That is the way it works alright, which is why it's so disappointing.
    Dermot Ahern looked after Dundalk for years, then at last it was going to be Drogheda's turn.........but nothing happened?

Advertisement