Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FMP to launch transcribed & indexed RC registers

• 05-02-2016 3:48pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The rumours seem to be finally true. FMP is launching a transcribed and index version of the NLI registers with images in March. No further details from the press release but I'm sure a certain Ms Santry will have ferretted it out soon.

ETA: Claire's post: http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2016/02/findmypast-to-release-irish-rc-parish.html

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

We'll have to rename you "Evangelista" (bringer of good news).:)
    I dread to think of the work involved - it could either put FMP way out in front, (which I hope) or it could be a disaster if there are no fuzzy searches. I recently came across a "Terence" who had been mistranscribed as "Jerome" which, when the scan was examined was a perfectly understandble error, but he had evaded me for years. Some Registers are truly awful, both in condition and quality of writing. I wonder will they have the text in English and leave the Latin to the scanned bit? Whatever, it is good news, as I've also encountered marriages among baptisms and vice-a-versa that would easily evade a researcher.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The new indexed collection will consist of records from some 3,500 baptism and marriage registers covering all 32 historical counties of the island.

I wonder will they include the death records also?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Hermy wrote: »
    I wonder will they include the death records also?

and the confirmation, communion, stations, churchings?

And the notes on what the weather was like that day...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Great Expectations! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I have to say a little surprised at how quick this was done ... will look forward to see what sort of quality the transcripts and indexes are.

Whatever about notes on the weather I've just been looking at the death register for the parish of Donymore, Co. Meath and it makes for very interesting reading as among other things, the priest gives cause of death for many of the deceased, has a few kind words to say about a man who lived to be 100, and the book finishes with a poem of some sort.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If they put enough manpower on it, then the timeframe doesn't matter too much. Let's wait and see what it looks like.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

I sense that another free trial will be in order. But perhaps I should wait until March!

They usually give free access as a jolly over St Patrick's day. I'd expect something like that on the cards this year given their launch.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

It would be a real bonus to be able to search for witnesses/sponsors as well. :)

seems Ancestry are going to release RC registers also...

edit : http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2016/02/ancestry-to-add-10million-irish-rc.html

It will be quite convenient to have the transcripts on both platforms.

Genealogy Forum Mod

shanew wrote: »
    seems Ancestry are going to release RC registers also...

edit : http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2016/02/ancestry-to-add-10million-irish-rc.html

Even better! I happen to have (free) access to the Ancestry library version - folks should press their libraries to get it.

both FMP and Ancestry release in March - wonder if they collaborated or there was duplicate transcribing going on ....

377569.jpg

shanew wrote: »
    both FMP and Ancestry release in March - wonder if they collaborated or there was duplicate transcribing going on....

So long as they DON'T use whoever did the 1901 and 1911 census transcriptions! Whoever they were could not even get parish and street names correct, despite being available in official, printed lists, let alone individual names and details...

bit of a waste if there was no collaboration - 100s/1,000s? of hours of duplicate work just to race to be first...

I'm reasonably sure they collaborated.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Is nobody going to shed a tear for RootsIreland?

I dare say the usual bleeding hearts will be out in force.

But when an organisation eventually falls victim to its own short-sightedness I see no reason to weep.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I won't. They seriously irritated me on another matter recently.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Where RootsIreland will still have an advantage is the more recent records, civil records for some counties and other denominations. They also seem to have a some early records not covered by NLI films..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The whole killing someones account for daring to ask about looking for records that weren't searchable but clearly in the surname list thing (detailed here a year or two ago) made me really dislike giving them a cent.

The third parties claiming to be unconnected but screeching about needing to "protect" "their" records (transcribed in the main by AnCo funded staff) record monopoly just made it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

:)
    Hermy wrote: »
    And the notes on what the weather was like that day...

I'll "see" your notes on weather and raise you a cure for rheumatism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I think I was getting rheumatism or some other hand disease trying to find all the misspelled Brunkards in there by trying to game their insanely rubbish search engine.

I only hope that there is some effort to get the full set of RC and early COI registers on somewhere (anywhere) than that wretched "website".

Advertisement