Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭gangstergossip

Esel wrote: »
    Magic!

nice one pal ill do it in future

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Just a note on why money is vacuum packed: for such a large sum being moved the eventual recipient (a Mr. Big for e.g) would be very cautious.

A trusted henchman is sent to witness the money being counted out. The money is then placed into vacuum bags and an identifiable note or mark is placed inside the bag.
    The packaged money is followed by the henchmen to its destination.

Such a large amount would need to be delivered to someone high up. That person needs a quick transaction confident the package is what was promised.

A verified and tightly bundled package is a lot handier than counting out notes in the back of an X5 at the back of Supervalue in Kells.

humberklog wrote: »
    Just a note on why money is vacuum packed: for such a large sum being moved the eventual recipient (a Mr. Big for e.g) would be very cautious.

A trusted henchman is sent to witness the money being counted out. The money is then placed into vacuum bags and an identifiable note or mark is placed inside the bag.
    The packaged money is followed by the henchmen to its destination.

Such a large amount would need to be delivered to someone high up. That person needs a quick transaction confident the package is what was promised.

A verified and tightly bundled package is a lot handier than counting out notes in the back of an X5 at the back of Supervalue in Kells.

i would say its more got to do with sniffer dogs pal the money was more than likely on its way out of the country and customs have dogs at the ports and airports specifically trained to pick up the scent of large amounts of money. When the moneys in air tight vacuum bags its supposed to eliminate the smell or rumored to do so anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Michael O Toole

Danye wrote: »
    Exactly. But a lot of people quote these stories as if they're fact.

Hmm. If two papers have the same story, they are accused here of colluding. If they have different information, they're accused of making stuff up.

We get what we can. We rely on our sources. It's an imperfect, chaotic science.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

I have to say, (and it's an observation, more than a criticism, although maybe when copying stories from the Sun it is a criticism) I don't live in Ireland so can't comment on the print editions, but the online editions of the Independent, Sun, Herald and SW( Why does the Star website lag so far behind for updates in comparision?) all regularly copy entire stories from each other, Of course its credited at the end of the story so it's not stealing. Still interesting though why they do this, Surely each papers investigation team would be a little dubious about the other papers sources etc? Is this because they're all part of the same INM Denis O Brien group?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Michael O Toole

I have to say, (and it's an observation, more than a criticism, although maybe when copying stories from the Sun it is a criticism) I don't live in Ireland so can't comment on the print editions, but the online editions of the Independent, Sun, Herald and SW( Why does the Star website lag so far behind for updates in comparision?) all regularly copy entire stories from each other, Of course its credited at the end of the story so it's not stealing. Still interesting though why they do this, Surely each papers investigation team would be a little dubious about the other papers sources etc? Is this because they're all part of the same INM Denis O Brien group?

They're not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Hmm. If two papers have the same story, they are accused here of colluding. If they have different information, they're accused of making stuff up.

Its not the problem of misinformation and you know this,its pure hyperbole made up rubbish to sell papers when there is nothing in the news,my favourite is the ''Kinahan puts squeeze on low level dealers'' that one is wheeled out constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

(Why does the Star website lag so far behind for updates in comparision?)

The Star online is a joke for sure, it's soooo far behind that they must not have anyone looking after it?

I looked at it yesterday morning and I think the headline story was the Red Bull Soap Box race in Cork! How long ago was that?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

I've never said anybody is colluding.

If there are different, often contradictory stories bring published, what are the public suppose to believe?

Why do you have so much trust in your sources? Or does it matter, because no matter what information is given its dressed up as dramatically as possible to sell copies?

If I was getting info from Joe, but my mate, whom I know and works in the same industry as me was getting information from Billy and our info didn't match up, I'd be asking questions. People need to start looking at the quality of the "sources" they use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

Gamebred wrote: »
    Last week the hutch crew owned the 350k cash that the garda took,now its the kinahans money you gotta laugh at these fraud journalists thieving a living.

This. Completely agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Danye wrote: »
    I've never said anybody is colluding.

If there are different, often contradictory stories bring published, what are the public suppose to believe?

Why do you have so much trust in your sources? Or does it matter, because no matter what information is given its dressed up as dramatically as possible to sell copies?

If I was getting info from Joe, but my mate, whom I know and works in the same industry as me was getting information from Billy and our info didn't match up, I'd be asking questions. People need to start looking at the quality of the "sources" they use.

This is the reason some of the papers are called rags, and its the likes of the above that annoys people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Something happen? Police everywhere in kilmainham, checkpoints on the south circular, garda helicopter overhead. On the way back from the gym in rialto and there were 2 paddywagons and suited garda at a house on st Anthony's rd

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

A lot of checkpoints around kimmage crumlin the last couple of days, there appearing for bout 30 minutes and then being moved to another location, I went through 3 today, good to see them not just camped in one location

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Thank Joe Biden for that

Thats just normal st anthonys rd tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Meanwhile life goes on

GARDAI are holding round-the-clock checkpoints to prevent gangland attacks on Gerry ‘The Monk’ Hutch and his family...

“Armed officers are driving past The Monk’s house every 30 minutes, day and night...

We can also reveal how key Kinahan target Keith Murtagh, 32, has met with gardai after surviving three attempts on his life...

More than 2,600 statements have been taken and 2,500 high visibility overt checkpoints have been conducted. @SteBreen cant copy link ? its in todays Irish sun.

A Dublin man is set to join the state’s witness protection programme after agreeing to give evidence against alleged republican dissidents and the Hutch gang, which is suspected of involvement in gang violence, writes John Mooney.

The witness was taken into protective custody last April after he was informed by gardai that his life may be at risk. He subsequently told gardai about organised crime, money laundering, and dissident republicans operating in Dublin city.

Information he provided has already allowed detectives to charge two suspects with serious offences. Bail was refused in both cases. The witness, described as a professional…

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fraudster-to-get-new-identity-for-testifying-against-dublin-gangs-h83rr56vh

Who is that ? as you have to be a subscriber to read full article and i can't afford it :-)

A Dublin man is set to join the state s witness protection programme after agreeing to give evidence against alleged republican dissidents and the Hutch gang, which is suspected of involvement in gang violence, writes John Mooney.

The witness was taken into protective custody last April after he was informed by gardai that his life may be at risk. He subsequently told gardai about organised crime, money laundering, and dissident republicans operating in Dublin city.

Information he provided has already allowed detectives to charge two suspects with serious offences. Bail was refused in both cases. The witness, described as a professional

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fraudster-to-get-new-identity-for-testifying-against-dublin-gangs-h83rr56vh

Who is that ? as you have to be a subscriber to read full article and i can't afford it :-)
    Meanwhile in Ireland its a slow Kinahan news weekend.......

The Independent have a story about Kinahan child soliders.....By Jim Cusack, probably about 1,000 word of waffle that says absolutley nothing at all, all thanks to the elusive "source".

While the Sun/Mirror (can't remember which) have a story about how the Columbian Cartel (ex led by Pablo Escobar) have fallen out with the Kinahans over a few murders in Dublins north innner city, as it's destroying their entire business.

Yet the article can't link to one actual drug bust outside of Ireland which may be a result of the feud.

A Dublin man is set to join the state’s witness protection programme after agreeing to give evidence against alleged republican dissidents and the Hutch gang, which is suspected of involvement in gang violence, writes John Mooney.

Information he provided has already allowed detectives to charge two suspects with serious offences. Bail was refused in both cases. The witness, described as a professional…

Im guessing a certain ex Sinn Fein member.

A Dublin man is set to join the state s witness protection programme after agreeing to give evidence against alleged republican dissidents and the Hutch gang, which is suspected of involvement in gang violence, writes John Mooney.

Information he provided has already allowed detectives to charge two suspects with serious offences. Bail was refused in both cases. The witness, described as a professional

Im guessing a certain ex Sinn Fein member.
    Jeez, no I doubt it... I wonder is it this clown? certainly doesn't look like a credible state witness!
    http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/roly-poly-fraudster-ogorman-took-cash-from-ganglands-heavy-hitters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I also read somewhere (probably the same rag as 3 posts above) that "outside sources" had confirmed that the Kinahans personal feud was drawing too much attention onto them all in Europe.
    There was nothing else in the article of any relevance, I didn't even think anything of that at the time until it matches up with the Colombians.

It may be partially true, and more likely to begin with the lower end (I doubt it's affecting the Colombian Cartel too much at this stage), but it has to be drawing the wrong kind of attention towards dealers that may have links to the Kinahans.
    It makes sense that nobody else could give a sh*t about a personal feud that they have, especially when it has led to the Spanish Police upping their game in the past few months.
    Another 9 were arrested in Madrid last night (Colombians I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Is there anything lower than a rat?

I'm not taking about a witness here I'm talking about criminals who rat to save themselves from a stretch or cos they are under pressure.

It wont be long before theres a cartel state witness and the whole thing comes crumbling down,will only take one high ranking member to be facing a long stretch and it ends for all of them.

arayess wrote: »
    Is there anything lower than a rat?

I'm not taking about a witness here I'm talking about criminals who rat to save themselves from a stretch or cos they are under pressure.

Ehm.. scum murdering people on public streets.....?
    Innocent people by mistake...

Plenty lower than a "rat".

Also, no doubt that they all 'rat' on each other when it is to their benefit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

Just reading some of the news reports and there may be some truth in the Colombian cartel being p1ssed with the Kinehans.

9 arrested in Madrid yesterday, 2 labs raided.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-arrest-9-madrid-drug-bust-methamphetamines-170309913.html

Then another article in the Independent from the start of the month says:

"We have previously, where it has been required, sent operations people to work in conjunction with other police forces, and if that is what's required here we will do the same.

Mr O'Mahony also added that such operations were previously conducted to target John Gilligan and his drug-trafficking gang.

The Kinahan cartel's association with other European and international crime gangs was also described by the senior garda as a "huge, huge conglomerate" which includes other criminal organisations, such as the Russian mafia and the Marseille-based mafia in the south of France.
    Gardai have been working with police forces in Spain, the UK, France and the Netherlands in an effort to target the wealth and activities of the cartel.

He told RTE's Morning Ireland today that a garda liaison officer is carrying out "trojan work" in Madrid, where a huge focus of his work includes working in the area of organised crime.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/a-huge-huge-conglomerate-gardai-target-kinahan-cartel-and-its-work-with-russian-gangs-and-spanish-mafia-34766509.html

I know the Spanish police are a bit laxidaisy at the best of times and there's rivalry between the green and blue uniforms over there, but maybe they pulled up their socks for the garda and their "trojan work" in Madrid ??,

Then there was a 215kg of weed caught lastnight worth €4.3m in Rosslare after arriving from France, which would almost certainly belong to the Kinehans and may have resulted from the garda's work abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Allyall wrote: »
    Ehm.. scum murdering people on public streets.....?
    Innocent people by mistake...

Plenty lower than a "rat".

Also, no doubt that they all 'rat' on each other when it is to their benefit.

you'll find that criminals who go into witness protection are scum. They do the crime and then rat so they don't do the time.

few or if any supergrasses aren't neck deep in the crime they are snitching on and probably have been caught on so there is no greater good at play

witnesses on the other hand should be lauded...there is a huge difference.

I'm not commending anyone involved in crime for anything. I was just stating that a rat isn't the lowest.

The original Sunday Times article reports he's a fraudster, not anyone directly involved or part of either group then. My money is on the guy from the Sunday World article posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

American style catch someone high up then offer them a deal to rat on the rest. Not sure if it's the best way hard pill to swallow letting someone go into witness protection but maybe better In the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

arayess wrote: »
    you'll find that criminals who go into witness protection are scum. They do the crime and then rat so they don't do the time.

few or if any supergrasses aren't neck deep in the crime they are snitching on and probably have been caught on so there is no greater good at play

witnesses on the other hand should be lauded...there is a huge difference.

True, look at our own supergrass that turned against b.Meehan, he lived where I used to, 24 hour protection for years, I think he moved when protection was stepped down. Look at all the rats in the New York mafia families that gave everyone up in the1990's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/gardai-swoop-on-top-gangland-target

Any idea who was targeted here? They used a photo of Gary Hutch, but somehow I don't think he's still driving expensive cars...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Any idea who was targeted here? They used a photo of Gary Hutch, but somehow I don't think he's still driving expensive cars...
    Gary changed

If lifting a car is the significant blow that the chief superintendent says, then these guys are not the big time gangsters we've been led to believe.

Jeez, no I doubt it... I wonder is it this clown? certainly doesn't look like a credible state witness!
    http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/roly-poly-fraudster-ogorman-took-cash-from-ganglands-heavy-hitters

im guessing the state witness is <snip>name removed </snip> the man jonathan dowdall and his father have been charged with intent to commit false imprisonment on, hes also a well known fraudster who had been using done deal to meet with people selling cars and motorbikes and getting their names and bank details and promising to do a money transfer in to their accounts which he never did and used their details to commit scams

im guessing the state witness is <snip>name removed </snip>the man jonathan dowdall and his father have been charged with intent to commit false imprisonment on, hes also a well known fraudster who had been using done deal to meet with people selling cars and motorbikes and getting their names and bank details and promising to do a money transfer in to their accounts which he never did and used their details to commit scams

Sounds like a chancer,with little info on serious criminals bar this incident.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a chancer,with little info on serious criminals bar this incident.

he would be a chancer but did have involvment with some inner city criminals you wouldnt know what he knows. When you search him on google it says down the bottom

In response to a legal request submitted to Google, we have removed 2 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read more about the request at LumenDatabase.org.
    Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe. Learn more

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD

Any more speculation on names and this thread is shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭septictank

im guessing the state witness is <snip>name removed </snip> the man jonathan dowdall and his father have been charged with intent to commit false imprisonment on, hes also a well known fraudster who had been using done deal to meet with people selling cars and motorbikes and getting their names and bank details and promising to do a money transfer in to their accounts which he never did and used their details to commit scams

Looks like <snip>removed name</snip> has upset a good few people, and didn't care who they were.

link removed

Could be a transaction that a smart ass thought would get away with, don't blame them if that's it, most of us would love to do the same but might not have the means, they just went a bit over the top if true.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Thread closed.

This thread has moved away from the actual shooting incidents and turned into a gossip column on anything or everything linked to crime. There is too much speculation on people, mod warnings being ignored, naming people that may or may not be involved in anything.

If there is any more gangland shootings that take place, the thread may be re-opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

We're reopening the thread due to a man being shot yesterday. Please keep in mind speculation is not welcome and any violations of the mod instructions in the first post will be deal with quite seriously, as this thread is nothing but a timesink for us. Feel free to contribute but stick within the rules, thanks.

• Advertisement

Ok lads fire away. ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

We're reopening the thread due to a man being shot yesterday. Please keep in mind speculation is not welcome and any violations of the mod instructions in the first post will be deal with quite seriously, as this thread is nothing but a timesink for us. Feel free to contribute but stick within the rules, thanks.

The things people do to get threads reopened.

Re the murder of dotty douglas yesterday

one theory being explored by the murder inquiry team is that he was killed by the Kinahans because the gang believed he was part of a conspiracy to shoot one of its senior members in a west Dublin pub last November.
    Gardaí are trying to establish if the Kinahan cartel was behind the wounding of Douglas in a shooting last November and the murder of his associate Darren Kearns last December.

That's from irish Times link won't post

Also as mickthehack tweeted.
    Everytime there is shooting the firearm is left at the scene. .that shows how much firepower the KC have at there disposal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Bicky bicky

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/wife-of-shooting-victim-hits-out-at-online-troll

Was his still involved with drug selling looks like he card was well marked before the first hit attempt.

De Oirish Mirror reporting:
    On November 8, he survived a murder bid after being shot while he walked his dog. A hitman linked to the Kinahan gang blasted Douglas near his home in Cabra, North Dublin.

Irish Times
    Gardaí believe gangland killing linked to the Kinahan-Hutch feud

The Independent seem to think that he got younger since the first attempt. He was 54 in November, and 53 yesterday.

Also stating that he was the victim of a double cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Also as mickthehack tweeted. Everytime there is shooting the firearm is left at the scene. .that shows how much firepower the KC have at there disposal...

If fairness the guns themselves are relatively cheap compared to what they pay people. 100k would probably get you 20+ new hand guns and they already have the smuggling routes to get them in.

Everytime there is shooting the firearm is left at the scene. .that shows how much firepower the KC have at there disposal...
    While i'm sure that's true. IMO it's a tactic used primarily so as not to get caught with it during the escape. Is it just the Kinahans who use this tactic though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

macnug wrote: »
    If fairness the guns themselves are relatively cheap compared to what they pay people. 100k would probably get you 20+ new hand guns and they already have the smuggling routes to get them in.

You'd get twenty handguns for half that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

And he also mentioned the amount of guns being left at or near the scene & quipped, why? Because they are all clean and never used before.

Must be a lot of guns available to them?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement