Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Simon2015 wrote: »
    So the IRA is against drugs ? but at the same time have no problem "taxing" drug dealers:rolleyes:

CAB. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭HarryStuby

tomofson wrote: »
    Its not the first more personal killing to be put down as feud related for sensational reasons.

Are you referring to the argument over parking the car or the job done in Meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

HarryStuby wrote: »
    Are you referring to the argument over parking the car or the job done in Meath?

Funnily enough I actually thought of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Sunset Hse: I was told that someone had taken over the lease and it was opening today (Monday). And just and aside Clonliffe hse in liquidation - nothing to do with the shootings - but cant have been great for trade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Take2Sean wrote: »

This is the first time Mansfield has been publicly named as being involved in drugs, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

This is the first time Mansfield has been publicly named as being involved in drugs, right?

There was millions worth of hard drugs seized from a plane in his airport. I think the plane belonged to him but chartered to someone else. The plane had travelled from Belgium if I recall.

Mansfield was not convicted of anything in relation to it though. It was a good few years ago.

pablo128 wrote: »
    There was millions worth of hard drugs seized from a plane in his airport. I think the plane belonged to him but chartered to someone else. The plane had travelled from Belgium if I recall.

Mansfield was not convicted of anything in relation to it though. It was a good few years ago.

He was never charged with anything, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭HarryStuby

tomofson wrote: »
    Funnily enough I actually thought of both.

Could well be, either way the cartel boss man is paying the trigger men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think its been an open secret about Jim Mansfields involvement in drugs but that article is the first time I've seen it in print and also linking him to the Kinahan cartel.
    Douglas was closely associated with the IRA 'unit' in Dublin which was working for the then major heroin and cocaine supplier in the state, the 'businessman' and property speculator, Jim Mansfield.

Mansfield, who died in 2014, was importing drugs through Weston Aerodrome in Lucan, which he bought through the profits of drugs money laundering and his considerable legitimate profits from successful property development.
    Read more: Latest gun murder in Dublin: Criminal was victim of ruthless double-cross outside wife's shop

The drugs were being supplied by the Kinahan operation in Spain and Belgium. The Garda Special Branch had for years known of the connections between Mansfield/Kinahan and the Provo smugglers, who adapted their arms importation routes seamlessly to drugs importation in the 1990s.
    Garda sources said that the senior IRA finance officer, Joe Cahill, one of Gerry Adams's mentors, called at Mansfield's home on the last Friday of each month to collect 'protection' money for the 'movement' - at the same time the Provos claimed to be fighting the "scourge" of drugs in inner city Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think its been an open secret about Jim Mansfields involvement in drugs but that article is the first time I've seen it in print and also linking him to the Kinahan cartel.

This article linked him to the Kinahan Cartel and Gerry Hutch, as well as a whole load of others:
    http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/mansfield-laundered-cash-for-criminals

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

The IRA have been using drug money to fund their operations for many years.

It's laughable when they claim to be anti drugs yet one of their chief "fundraisers" was up to his neck in drugs.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/dublin-shooting-victim-key-figure-in-iras-finance-wing-34853429.html

Dublin shooting victim 'key figure in IRA's finance wing'

The latest Dublin gangland feud victim, David Douglas, was a key figure in the 'finance' wing of the IRA, according to sources.

The 55-year-old father of one was approached by a lone male gunman and shot in the head and chest on Bridgefoot Street, in the Liberties area of Dublin's south inner city, shortly after 4pm on Friday.

Douglas was an 'active service unit' (ASU) volunteer with the Provisional IRA employed in 'fund raising' for the organisation from the early 1980s.

He was caught by gardai during a robbery of a post office in Tallaght in which he fired a rifle at a garda. He received a 12-year sentence for attempted murder.

He was closely associated with the Dublin IRA group which transformed from a 'Concerned Parents' movement, which protested against drug dealers in the inner city, to extorting money from drug dealers before moving full-time into the trade itself.

He was sentenced to five years' imprisonment for possession with intent to supply €562,000 worth of cocaine in April 2008.

It is believed Douglas was targeted as he walked to his wife Yumei's shop, Shoestown, after a family funeral earlier in the day. He was taken to St James's Hospital, and later pronounced dead.
    advertisement

Gardai are investigating whether the murder is linked to the bitter feud between the Kinahan cartel and Hutch mob.

Douglas was associated with the IRA unit in Dublin which worked for the then major heroin and cocaine supplier in the state, 'businessman' and property speculator, Jim Mansfield.

Mansfield, who died in 2014, was importing drugs through Weston Aerodrome in Lucan, which he bought from the profits of drugs money laundering and his considerable legitimate profits from property development.

The drugs were supplied by the Kinahan operation in Spain and Belgium. The Garda Special Branch had for years known of connections between Mansfield/Kinahan and the Provo smugglers, who adapted their arms importation routes to drugs importation in the 1990s.

Garda sources said senior IRA finance officer Joe Cahill, one of Gerry Adams' mentors, called at Mansfield's home on the last Friday of each month to collect protection money for the 'movement' - when the Provos claimed to be fighting the "scourge" of drugs in Dublin.

Hours after Douglas was shot, a man posted a message on the Shoestown shop's Facebook page calling him "drug dealing scum".

Ms Douglas took to Facebook to respond: "I don't know what to say. Are you ... another evil come to us?"

Last night, she shared a message for her late husband, writing: "Hiya Dathi, just want say something. I know you must be somewhere, maybe sat on the sofa, I try to see you there, and say good night, as normal".

Amazing how Jim Cusack is able to have all this knowledge about the latest victim so soon after he has passed away. Would it be that dead men can't sue?

Amazing how Jim Cusack is able to have all this knowledge about the latest victim so soon after he has passed away. Would it be that dead men can't sue?

Its a matter of public record that Douglas got done for having over half a million worth of coke.

Yet we have people claiming that the IRA have nothing to do with drugs:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

"Joe Cahill, one of Gerry Adams's mentors, called at Mansfield's home on the last Friday of each month to collect 'protection' money for the 'movement"

If the Garda knew this was happening at the same time every month why did they not do something? I think some of Cusack's stories about the provos have a Jackanory element to them.

Its a matter of public record that Douglas got done for having over half a million worth of coke.

Yet we have people claiming that the IRA have nothing to do with drugs:rolleyes:

Was he in The IRA when he was done for drugs?

Was he in The IRA when he was done for drugs?

He wasn't in the salvation army that's for sure:pac:

He wasn't in the salvation army that's for sure:pac:

Is that a yes or no?

Is that a yes or no?

Once you join the IRA your in it for life.

Once you join the IRA your in it for life.

Really? I think you need to read up a bit on history and politics. You statement is patently false. You're not correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The independent seem to have been following it for some time.....

mansfield-jet-trafficking-led-by-former-ira-activist

no-drugs-in-my-business-billionaire

jim-mansfield-jnr-we-are-not-involved-in-organised-crime-we-are-not-drug-dealers

pictured-businessman-mansfield-and-the-feared-gangland-criminal

and

mansfield-laundered-cash-for-criminals

Really? I think you need to read up a bit on history and politics. You statement is patently false. You're not correct.

How do you think people leave the IRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

bubblypop wrote: »

Dear Gerry-

It's not you, it's me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Reports of a shooting in Lusk. Man with multiple gunshots. Car found burnt out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭DamienDarts

Holy f**k...
    10 am now on a Tuesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭DamienDarts

I was about to ask where is Lusk?
    Is it in the north inner city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

North County Dublin,

between Swords and Balbriggan/Skerries

Quite rural.

Wasn't a man from that estate, involved in imprisoning a family in their own home last June, in court a few weeks ago?

The reason it sticks out to me, is because while the case was ongoing, and after the three men had been arrested, nearly every article named the three men, but most only mentioned where one of them lived (Dun Emer Estate, Lusk).

Allyall wrote: »
    Quite rural.

Wasn't a man from that estate, involved in imprisoning a family in their own home last June, in court a few weeks ago?

The reason it sticks out to me, is because while the case was ongoing, and after the three men had been arrested, nearly every article named the three men, but most only mentioned where one of them lived (Dun Emer Estate, Lusk).

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/couple-and-their-son-go-into-hiding-after-they-were-allegedly-falsely-imprisoned-in-their-own-home-by-a-gang-34278265.html

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »

How would you leave any organisation. you might leave voluntarily, you might get thrown out, you might get old or sick and be of no use, lots of way to leave but only the fairy tale that you cannot leave is believed in some quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

That shooting this morning happened about 2 minutes away from Lusk garda station, a station which is never really open and serves no purpose. The next town over, Rush, has no Garda station at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    That shooting this morning happened about 2 minutes away from Lusk garda station, a station which is never really open and serves no purpose. The next town over, Rush, has no Garda station at all.

How would a Garda Station have prevented this?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ihateusernames

Allyall wrote: »
    Quite rural.

Ding ding ding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

The shooting last week was around the corner from a regular armed checkpoint. Stations aren't going to stop these guys.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    This article linked him to the Kinahan Cartel and Gerry Hutch, as well as a whole load of others:
    http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/mansfield-laundered-cash-for-criminals
    STB. wrote: »

Yes, there have been broad hints before, but this week's article states bluntly that Mansfield senior was dealing drugs, which is a different league to the earlier comments.

Yes, there have been broad hints before, but this week's article states bluntly that Mansfield senior was dealing drugs, which is a different league to the earlier comments.

And again, Cusack and anyone else can print what they like because the guy isn't here to defend himself.

One of the Sunday World articles linked in the last few posts contradicts his version anyway. The one regarding Whacker Duffy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

Independent straight off the bat, trying to link it to the Hutch Kinahan feud, with pictures of Gary hutch and all the victims in the middle of the article. Mick McCaffrey on Twitter who's normally on the ball, saying its almost certainly unrelated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

AD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

califano wrote: »
    AD

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

AD

This is either way off the mark to what I'm hearing or else it's a cryptic clue!

AD - Year of our Lord - Jesus Christ - JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

AD

Seriously? Did you even bother reading the first post in this thread. The clue is even in the title of this thread. The mods should just ban people like you at this stage.

In cases like this, where the guy due to be whacked has been shot but hasn't actually died, are the news outlets allowed to name him?

The Mirror says the shooter(s) were captured on CCTV, fleeing from the scene
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/man-late-30s-critical-after-8351698

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Bicky bicky

Indo.
    The Sunset House pub, which was the scene of a gangland murder two months ago, will re-open this week.

Paul Gannon, the brother of Social Democrats councillor Gary, have taken over the lease of the inner city bar and will open it under the name The Brendan Behan on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/padraig_reilly/status/750304677238042624

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Indo.
    The Sunset House pub, which was the scene of a gangland murder two months ago, will re-open this week.

Paul Gannon, the brother of Social Democrats councillor Gary, have taken over the lease of the inner city bar and will open it under the name The Brendan Behan on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/padraig_reilly/status/750304677238042624

"Man shot in Lusk this morning is a known RNLA member.Its thought that an extortion racket had gone wrong.."
    RNLA...

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    RNLA...

The Real NLA? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Bicky bicky

Esel wrote: »
    RNLA...

We'll give it to Padraig this time, on the move fast typing any more mistakes and his out! ðŸ˜႒

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement