Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Did they catch you for something?
    All your posts seem to be hitting at them.

I think they're appalling. They're only good for whinging and crying about the cuts. What they're really sore about is the pension levy. They are on a work to rule now. They have no intention of upping their game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Seriously how can the Gardai be taking such a rap here? Under equipped and under resourced. The problem is with the hierarchy not AGS. It's a disgrace the stick they take when it comes to this ****. Whatever about a young Guard throwing his weight around over a ticket or that but this is real **** where the Guards are doin their best. A bit of appreciation and respect now as you sit safe at your computer or smart phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Even if they are caught and charged, how fearful are they actually going to be of the criminal justice system? People stand up in court and walk out the same day with a suspended sentence or they serve measly sentences and pick up where they left off as soon as they're released. Being "tough on crime" means actually handing down meaningful sentences and stopping this nonsense of people with multiple convictions running around with absolutely no intention of ever changing. The criminal justice system as it stands is a joke that no hardened criminal would be afraid of getting caught in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

Enda Kenny is calling in the Sons of Anarchy to sort this mess out

Nah. He will have a big team working on this. They will be sparing no effort in finding a way to put the blame on Gerry Adams.

There was a meeting in a south Dublin pub on Saturday night to discuss the Kinavan gang retaliation over what happened on Friday. The gardai were aware of it. They should have swung by and arrested all concerned. Instead they were all free to go on a shooting spree tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Great post there, I suppose the French police and GIGN did a better job in Pairs.

You can't put armed police on every street in the country 24/7.
    A little reality needed.

But it wouldn't take a genius of a Garda to keep family members of those suspected of the hotel shooting under watch....esp since they made a big show and tell of all these armed checkpoints/patrols??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Ally Dick wrote: »
    There was a meeting in a south Dublin pub on Saturday night to discuss the Kinavan gang retaliation over what happened on Friday. The gardai were aware of it. They should have swung by and arrested all concerned. Instead they were all free to go on a shooting spree tonight

Aware of it after the fact, unfortunately... And so the papers said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Seriously how can the Gardai be taking such a rap here? Under equipped and under resourced. The problem is with the hierarchy not AGS. It's a disgrace the stick they take when it comes to this ****. Whatever about a young Guard throwing his weight around over a ticket or that but this is real **** where the Guards are doin their best. A bit of appreciation and respect now as you sit safe at your computer or smart phone.

I don't think they're getting a "rap" here. It's one poster with an obvious axe to grind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm guessing your average on the beat Garda would be afraid of these gangsters, gards like most humans just was an easy ride, some low level criminals and what not. I don't think their sticks are gonna be much use against a gun, secondly gards would be easy enough to find at their homes. AGS aren't equipped enough to take on these well funded and pschopaticical gangsters.

Arrest them on what charges? It's not fecking North Korea.

Even if they did arrest them, which they clearly do at every opportunity given the hundreds of convictions they all seem to have, the fact is that the courts will have them out walking the streets again quicker than you can say scumbag three times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think they're appalling. They're only good for whinging and crying about the cuts. What they're really sore about is the pension levy. They are on a work to rule now. They have no intention of upping their game

They have seized loads of drugs and guns in the last year according to the News and arrested people in the process. Millions of euros worth seized, money recovered and people arrested.
    Not too shabby at all.
    They are only as good as the information supplied by the public as i said earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How do you know this?
    Arrest them for what reason as well? Nothing illegal about meeting in a pub.

Also, do you think the people in the pub go out and shoot people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I'm guessing your average on the beat Garda would be afraid of these gangsters, gards like most humans just was an easy ride, some low level criminals and what not. I don't think their sticks are gonna be much use against a gun, secondly gards would be easy enough to find at their homes. AGS aren't equipped enough to take on these well funded and pschopaticical gangsters.

As someone suggested the other day maybe bringing in highly trained personnel from outside he country with no family ties here would be an idea.

Just brought to specifically target criminal gangs.

Jayop wrote: »
    Arrest them on what charges? It's not fecking North Korea.

Even if they did arrest them, which they clearly do at every opportunity given the hundreds of convictions they all seem to have, the fact is that the courts will have them out walking the streets again quicker than you can say scumbag three times.
    Offenses againest the state....is updated for gang membership...little to evidence required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Too busy protecting a water meter i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Offenses againest the state....is updated for gang membership...little to evidence required

Sounds a bit like internment in NI during the 70's. That worked out well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Unless prohibition was in force, what the hell do you think they could be arrested for?

trashcan wrote: »
    I'm a bit sceptical of politicians falling over themselves today to promise more non jury courts. (Nice timing for the election as they try to outdo one another to be "tough on crime") Will it really make much difference. How many gangland figures have been convicted in non jury courts for all the gangland hits over the years ? You have to catch and charge people first remember. And what about witnesses ? Not having a Jury doesn't stop witnesses being intimidated and afraid to come forward.

Its basically how they sorted limerick out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

emmetlego wrote: »
    well it boosted the number of fluent Irish speakers better than we ever managed down here!

• Advertisement

It's still operating in the south vs dissidents....all you need for conviction is the word of a senior gaurd (highly suspect IMO)

That act was designed for times of war, WW2 and The Troubles. If you want to live in a country where you can be slammed up for being in a pub just on the opinion of a senior guard with no other evidence then good luck to you.

Like I said, it's not North Korea.

Was just about to say that.
    Internment was a great success.
    If they did that here there would be uproar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

JustTheOne wrote: »
    As someone suggested the other day maybe bringing in highly trained personnel from outside he country with no family ties here would be an idea.

Admit it, you're just reading the script for The Untouchables, amirite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

shooting in tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

What's even more sad is how popular love hate was.

One of the most watched programmes ever in this country about Irish gangs killing each other.

Just shows the publics obsession and fondness to that lifestyle.

Just makes these lads think their celebrities.

Would you get a grip. I suppose you've never watched an episode of the Sopranos or the Wire and found them entertaining?

• Advertisement

That act was designed for times of war, WW2 and The Troubles. If you want to live in a country where you can be slammed up for being in a pub just on the opinion of a senior guard with no other evidence then good luck to you.

Like I said, it's not North Korea.
    And it was recently updated for gang membership afaik

It should be said at this point I don't support this law...but those saying there was noting the gaurds could do are wrong afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Jaysus rough going in the big smoke. Honestly, if these thugs wanna blow the head off each other let them off. I'm just worried about some poor innocent getting caught in the cross fire.

Superhorse wrote: »
    Too busy protecting a water meter i'd say.

Weldone, sigh.

And it was recently updated for gang membership afaik

It should be said at this point I don't support this law...but those saying there was noting the gaurds could do are wrong afaik

OK I accept that you don't support it but are you sure about the gang membership part?

Doesn't the specific gang first have to be ruled as an unlawful organisation by the government?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1939/act/13/section/19/enacted/en/html#sec19

has the act been updated since 98?

redarmy wrote: »
    shooting in tallaght

Is this another gang related shooting?

• Advertisement

Would you get a grip. I suppose you never watched an episode of the Sopranos or the Wire and found them entertaining?

Yeah I did.

But love hate glorifies these people. Young fellas watching think that lifestyle is the best thing ever.

On paper it sounds good, but it Sounds like a Black and Tans type situation and local people would side and help the gangsters.

Worst thing is the response from the government because of the elections, any other year and they don't care.

Also why not have the army do check points and the gardai follow these gangsters ?

Is this another gang related shooting?

not sure yet, breaking news

Jaysus rough going in the big smoke. Honestly, if these thugs wanna blow the head off each other let them off. I'm just worried about some poor innocent getting caught in the cross fire.

Sadly as it gets more and more ramped up they'll have to take bigger risks to hit each other and that's when innocents will get murdered. It's only a matter of time before there's a case of mistaken identity or someone killed in the crossfire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Yeah I did.

But love hate glorifies these people. Young fellas watching think that lifestyle is the best thing ever.

How everyone dies in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Ha stop will you you'd swear the dublin gangsters started to get into criminality since series 1 of Love Hate,the show was based on them ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

trashcan wrote: »
    I'm a bit sceptical of politicians falling over themselves today to promise more non jury courts. (Nice timing for the election as they try to outdo one another to be "tough on crime") Will it really make much difference. How many gangland figures have been convicted in non jury courts for all the gangland hits over the years ? You have to catch and charge people first remember. And what about witnesses ? Not having a Jury doesn't stop witnesses being intimidated and afraid to come forward.
    John Dundon was convicted for the murder of Shane Geoghegan in the SCC.

He wasn't afraid to intimidate witnesses (he hired a hitman to murder potential witnesses). If it wasn't for the SCC there is a good likelihood that a jury would be intimidated.

There were others, but if it just for this guy, the court is worth having.

On paper it sounds good, but it Sounds like a Black and Tans type situation and local people would side and help the gangsters.

Worst thing is the response from the government because of the elections, any other year and they don't care.

Also why not have the army do check points and the gardai follow these gangsters ?
    That's not true.

For the last few years the gards have been highly successful in the fight against dissidents and the gangs in limerick.

Operation anvil too was a huge success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Yeah I did.

And Tony Soprano living in a big house, big car, boat load of women etc.. didn't glorify the mafia lifestyle?

The only response from the government so far is typical Enda electioneering trying to blame it on SF. I'd bet my bottom dollar that Joan the moan will be linking SF with this by Wednesday. **** the people getting caught up in this so long as they can win a few votes along the way.

• Advertisement

OK I accept that you don't support it but are you sure about the gang membership part?

Doesn't the specific gang first have to be ruled as an unlawful organisation by the government?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1939/act/13/section/19/enacted/en/html#sec19

has the act been updated since 98?

I'm nearly sure fg were trying to update at one stage(2012??) (I read article to much uproar of a dissident newsletter :pac: )

It may not have been the offense againest the state....but it was to be practically the same legislation using the special criminal court...I think there was a lad in Limerick convicted by it afterwards (sorry for not being 100% on details :O )

That's not true.

For the last few years the gards have been highly successful in the fight against dissidents and the gangs in limerick.

Operation anvil too was a huge success.

Ah okay I don't live in the country so I'm not quite up to date on things

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Unless prohibition was in force, what the hell do you think they could be arrested for?

Whatever happened to arrest for membership of an illegal organisation ? Seems to be totally unenforced
    http://insideireland.ie/2012/09/16/three-men-charged-with-membership-of-illegal-organisation-79432/

redarmy wrote: »
    not sure yet, breaking news

Any chance of a link? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

Unconfirmed reports now of shooting in tallaght acc to fm104

boat load of women?

Refugee crisis :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Whatever happened to arrest for membership of an illegal organisation ? Seems to be totally unenforced

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1939/act/13/section/21/enacted/en/html

What organisation are they members of?

Jake1 wrote: »
    no link just on radio . 104

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Jake1 wrote: »

Not seeing anything on the news sites...a few references on Twitter.

• Advertisement

http://insideireland.ie/2012/09/16/three-men-charged-with-membership-of-illegal-organisation-79432/

Like I posted above, I think the government have to define each and every illegal group and publish it in the government gazette. If they're not defined then the Garda can't arrest someone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement