Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The GRA aren't a union, they're a representative body, there's a big difference.

I'll take you word for it so.
    I always thought they act as a union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

lukesmom wrote: »
    Shot 9 times according to the independent. Two funerals coming up will be very tense.

I wonder if any of the main players will put their head above the water for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

kfallon wrote: »
    I wonder if any of the main players will put their head above the water for them!

They'd be very stupid if they did.

Tilly wrote: »
    They'd be very stupid if they did.

True but one man's stupidity in this has already cost him his life last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

arayess wrote: »
    I'll take you word for it so.
    I always thought they act as a union.

they are a union in all but name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

kfallon wrote: »
    True but one man's stupidity in this has already cost him his life last night

What did he do that was stupid? He was hardly being high profile seeing as he was shot inside his own house.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What did he do that was stupid? He was hardly being high profile seeing as he was shot inside his own house.

The rest of the family went to ground on Saturday morning, he was stupid in that he didn't follow suit!

If most of us were in his shoes we'd have gone missing for a while! Why put yourself out there as a potential target?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Superhorse wrote: »
    You got me in one for sure there dude. Kudos to you.

Congrats anyway hombre de genio

Ah will you give over :rolleyes: He rightly called you out for talking ****e and this is the best you can come back with...well this and blue peter badges??

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

The only winners here are the press.
    It's a tabloid's dream, steadily drip-feeding the ever-hungry public, scrap after scrap of information, or further analysis, if no new info is at hand.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gangster-fat-freddie-thompson-arrested-after-highspeed-garda-chase-in-city-34436477.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Heres my plan. Everybody in Ireland has to carrry id. we carry cards money and everything else in our pockets. An id card should be mandatory.

Next, if cops see someone dropping litter a fag butt even chewing gum. Then start charging fines. You dont have your id. Fine come to the station for a couple hours till we sort out your identity. You should have thought about bringing your id when spitting out that gum on the pavement and throwing that butt on the ground.

The reason to start with small little fines for litter etc, is that it gives people a boundary, people need boundaries. if they think they can walk all over you they will. Thats human.
    It was done in New york, it can be done in dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

None of this makes sense. I'm not a conspiracy nut but I kinda think the guards were either involved or knew about it before it happened.

1. When the 999 calls were made from the hotel people couldn't get through. The general 999 call was answered and each time the call and transferred to the Dublin responder centre and it rang through with no answer. It took the GM John glynn calling a personal friend of his in the Guards to get things moving. This is why Dublin fire brigade paramedics were first on the scene.

2. The guns used by the shooters are PM 63s a Romanian copy made in the early 60s of the Russian AKM. PM63s are easy to spot due to the wooden handle on the foregrip. They were only ever used in this country by the IRA as they got a ****load of them from Gaddafi in the 1980s. The only other people who would have access to them would be the Guards who captured a load if them over the years.

3. The helmets the "phony" guards are mich 2000 ballistic helmets, these helmets are used by the Garda ERU. The helmets aren't unique to the Guards, but they're not easy to get. They don't seem to be cheap plastic copies either as the material seems to be sturdier

What do you think? Am I crazy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

kupus wrote: »
    Heres my plan. Everybody in Ireland has to carrry id. we carry cards money and everything else in our pockets. An id card should be mandatory.

Next, if cops see someone dropping litter a fag butt even chewing gum. Then start charging fines. You dont have your id. Fine come to the station for a couple hours till we sort out your identity. You should have thought about bringing your id when spitting out that gum on the pavement and throwing that butt on the ground.

The reason to start with small little fines for litter etc, is that it gives people a boundary, people need boundaries. if they think they can walk all over you they will. Thats human.

I agree with you. Mayor Giuliani in New York got John Timoney in to head up the police force and implement zero tolerance and the three strikes rule. I saw it in action when I was there visiting. Young guy kicking a fence in a train station. Cop on to him immediately to stop. Details taken. Cops everywhere all over New York. Unfortunately the nation of excuses and whingers will never implement anything like this. We don't have the spaces in jail. Our guards are understaffed. Our guards are underpaid. Guards not armed. Etc etc. The first sign that the government are serious about crime is if they start building Thornton Hall. If they don't do that, I don't believe that they are serious

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah sorry, was studying and only came online the past ten minutes to unmelt my brain :)

The Man power and resources lol,are you on drugs,there's fools with tools out there and you want guards sorting people out who spit gum Pmsl,someone get this guy a banana ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Heres my plan. Everybody in Ireland has to carrry id.

That's where your plan would fall on its face.

MajorMax wrote: »
    None of this makes sense. I'm not a conspiracy nut but I kinda think the guards were either involved or knew about it before it happened.

1. When the 999 calls were made from the hotel people couldn't get through. The general 999 call was answered and each time the call and transferred to the Dublin responder centre and it rang through with no answer. It took the GM John glynn calling a personal friend of his in the Guards to get things moving. This is why Dublin fire brigade paramedics were first on the scene.

2. The guns used by the shooters are PM 63s a Romanian copy made in the early 60s of the Russian AKM. PM63s are easy to spot due to the wooden handle on the foregrip. They were only ever used in this country by the IRA as they got a ****load of them from Gaddafi in the 1980s. The only other people who would have access to them would be the Guards who captured a load if them over the years.

3. The helmets the "phony" guards are mich 2000 ballistic helmets, these helmets are used by the Garda ERU. The helmets aren't unique to the Guards, but they're not easy to get. They don't seem to be cheap plastic copies either as the material seems to be sturdier

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

What's the current crime rate in New York compared to Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Youre wrong other people got through before him and the gards were here within 60 seconds of the call going through.

This all came out yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I said it here on boards before, i feel safer walking down any ghetto in america(daylight hours) than walking in around dublin.

THe reason you start with gum and other little crimes is that the people doing it are more likely to get involved in bigger crimes as they progress up the ladder, nip it in the bud.
    Also it gets cops info they might not have known from some young fella running his mouth in the station while waiting for his id to show up.

And tramore man, since youre so worldy and traveled tell us your suggestions that you have.

Suggestions from playing xbox games not included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Amazing that the security forces of the state have enough Gardai to follow around water protesters or can send 6 cops to a guys house at 6 in the morning to make a political statement but don't have the manpower to keep tag on real criminals. You'd swear they have an agenda or something.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Youre wrong other people got through before him and the gards were here within 60 seconds of the call going through.

This all came out yesterday.

This is what the General manager said in a news report

"I couldn't get through, but I did eventually get through and I explained what happened and was put through to the Dublin division. 25 seconds (waiting on the line) felt like an eternity to me."

He said he then rang a detective he knew and within about two minutes gardaí had arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

LOL at the chewing gum littering talk you seriously think that kind of crap would stop people going into organised crime ffs wake up from that dream with your zero tolerance the Idea of taking a city from another continents approach to policing is laughable on budget alone never mind the fact it wouldnt work if they did try it.

"I couldn't get through, but I did eventually get through and I explained what happened and was put through to the Dublin division. 25 seconds (waiting on the line) felt like an eternity to me."

He said he then rang a detective he knew and within about two minutes gardaí had arrived.

Yes but people got through before him.

Francis fitzgerald confirmed this yesterday.

The gards were there in 60 seconds of the first call getting through.

Your man seems to think he is some celebrity all ever the radio and news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Maybe loads of other people were calling in to report gunmen in masks entering a hotel? That would fairly jam up the switchboards!

Also, those saying that firstly the monk is an "ordinary decent" criminal... That beggars belief. Tell that to the people he held at gunpoint, or actually had shot and killed. It's common knowledge that he is a ruthless criminal, who has sociopathic tendencies.

As for his brother that was shot last night? Why did CAB take over 100k off him if he was a 'small time' criminal? He has over a hundred convictions. Sure the Monk himself was a taxi man in his spare time too. No better way to launder money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

We shouldn't be so harsh on the Gardaí, with the threat of gang warfare looming over the city, there were swans to be rescued.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/696662481649995776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Or maybe the guards that arrived in 2 minutes were already on the way and he is confusing causation with correlation.

FalconGirl wrote: »
    We shouldn't be so harsh on the Gardaí, with the threat of gang warfare looming over the city, there were swans to be rescued.

''Under resourced'' they claim...

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Yes but people got through before him.

Francis fitzgerald confirmed this yesterday.

The gards were there in 60 seconds of the first call getting through.

Your man seems to think he is some celebrity all ever the radio and news.

But apparantly he wasn't the only one who couldn't get through. Nearly every member of staff interviewed mentioned that they couldn't get through on mobile or landline. There's no denying that the first responders were the Fire Brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its like that time there was no sign of the bus arriving but I made it arrive by lighting up a cigarette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'm guessing the swan was on the road in Wood Quay. One of the busiest streets in the city. What did you want them to do, leave it there and let traffic chaos ensue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The call was made by a Peter Ian Staker. P.I.Staker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So the Gardai just don't bother with anything else from now on, is that what you expect?

But apparantly he wasn't the only one who couldn't get through. Nearly every member of staff interviewed mentioned that they couldn't get through on mobile or landline. There's no denying that the first responders were the Fire Brigade.
    Youre not listening.

Members of the public got through first time when they rang.

And they were there in 60 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So what should they be doing today? Just go around arresting everyone with a gangland connection for no apparent reason.

Really are some stupid ideas on this thread that are totally impractical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If you have 20 or 50 people all ringing 999/112 from the same area at the same time, there is going to be a little bit of chaos. 3 or 4 of them will get through, and the rest can sit in a queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

And the Gardai don't have a union.

a rose by any other name etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Are people really suggesting that the Guards shouldn't do any thing else now while this is ongoing?

Christ some people.

Theres 3 gardai at least involved in that post saving a swan,the guy in picture the guy taking it and the person on the social media account taking time to post it,it also happens to be in Dublin 8 where suspected gangland criminals have been meeting,

Thats 3 wages that could be used putting gardai where they are needed on the streets not saving swans or posting on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Gamebred wrote: »
    Theres 3 gardai at least involved in that post saving a swan,the guy in picture the guy taking it and the person on the social media account taking time to post it,it also happens to be in Dublin 8 where suspected gangland criminals have been meeting,

Thats 3 wages that could be used putting gardai where they are needed on the streets not saving swans or posting on twitter.

So they should have let the Swan run around on busy roads causing an accident? Gimme a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

''Under resourced'' they claim...

They pick out the easier jobs. They revel in them. They still mount speeding checkpoints. They love bagging drivers in sneaky areas. Shooting fish in a barrell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

I thought from the tweet that they were Traffic Corps Gardai that removed them from the roads so as not to be a hazard to motorists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

BattleCorp wrote: »
    To be fair, the Gardai can't be everywhere and prevent everything from happening. How can they be expected to monitor every single scumbag in the country? And even if they monitor all the known criminals, what's to stop the criminals using outside contractors to do the hits?

If we had unlimited resources where there were armed Gardai on every street corner and in every housing estate, then these hits wouldn't be happening.

I don't think I'd like to live in a society where we have armed Gardai in every nook and cranny.

No, what we should have is known scumbags in prison where they can't behave the way they're behaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ally Dick wrote: »
    They pick out the easier jobs. They revel in them. They still mount speeding checkpoints. They love bagging drivers in sneaky areas. Shooting fish in a barrell.
    Those would be the traffic corps, who are employed and trained to do just that.

That's their job.

Do you really think when there's a shooting they're going to drop the speed gun, run into the nearest phone box, do a few twirls and come out in combat gear toting a machine gun??

No, what we should have is known scumbags in prison where they can't behave the way they're behaving.

Yeah the whole "due process" thing is just way overrated. Bring back internment and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Jayop wrote: »
    Because Enda brought Sf into it in typical form.

grasping at straws again as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Leroy Brown

LOL at the chewing gum littering talk you seriously think that kind of crap would stop people going into organised crime ffs wake up from that dream with your zero tolerance the Idea of taking a city from another continents approach to policing is laughable on budget alone never mind the fact it wouldnt work if they did try it.

There's a $700 fine for spitting out gum on the streets in Singapore btw and crime rates there are some of the lowest in the world.

• Advertisement

There's a $700 fine for spitting out gum on the streets in Singapore btw and crime rates there are some of the lowest in the world.

So theres no organised crime in singapore or gangland killings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I can't see to many gangsters taking up this offer.....

"Members of gangs in fear of their safety should come forward to the Gardai"

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/streets-of-fear-city-on-tenterhooks-as-pictures-emerge-of-eddie-hutch-snrs-bullet-ridden-home-after-fatal-shooting-34436023.html

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Leroy Brown

So theres no organised crime in singapore or gangland killings?
    I googled it for you
    How did Singapore manage to eradicate organized crime completely given that all the other major cities still have this social problem today?
    Ask any Singaporean or foreigner who have lived there for at least 5 years.
    No-one disagrees. How did Singapore do it?

Organized crime refers to crimes associated with violence, Mafia and Triads.
    Not the white-collar crimes like football match-fixing, stock market manipulation where money is stolen but no violence is committed.

Kris Lim, Living in the Little Red Dot

It's actually due to several reasons:
    • A generally law abiding society.
    • Low unemployment rate. Basically if you are willing to work, there will be work to be done. There are less 'desperate' people in Singapore.
    • High risk of being caught. The police is efficient and low crime rate means that any new crime is investigated swiftly.
    • High incorruptibility of the police and law.
    • Above point encourages whistle blowers and tip-offs from the public without fear of being silenced.
    • Weapons are highly inaccessible due to high penalties for possessing firearms.
    • High penalties, eg death penalty may be meted out for:

• Under the Penal Code, the commission of the following offences may result in the death penalty: [1]
    • Waging or attempting to wage war or abetting the waging of war against the Government
    • Offences against the President’s person (in other words, treason)
    • Mutiny
    • Piracy that endangers life
    • Perjury that results in the execution of an innocent person
    • Murder
    • Abetting the suicide of a person under the age of 18 or an "insane" person
    • Attempted murder by a prisoner serving a life sentence
    • Kidnapping or abducting in order to murder
    • Robbery committed by five or more people that results in the death of a person
    • Drug trafficking
    • Unlawful discharge of firearms, even if no one is injured
    • Rape
    And harsh minimum penalties for eg. gang-robbery:

The penalty for gang-robbery is imprisonment for not less than five years and not more than 20 years, and also caning with not less than 12 strokes. [2]

Singapore is a small country, only 700+ square kilometres . Once you commit a crime and the airport is alerted, there is nowhere for you to hide and due to Singapore being the world's busiest transshipment port, her waters are under constant surveillance and patrolled 24hrs.
    https://www.quora.com/How-did-Singapore-manage-to-eradicate-organized-crime-completely-given-that-all-the-other-major-cities-still-have-this-social-problem-today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So what? Don't be an idiot and suggest they do nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The Gardai can't win.
    If they chase a suspect in a car and the suspect or a member of the public dies. They'd be people saying why we're they chasing it's a disgrace.
    If the Gardai didn't chase and the suspect crashed the same people would be saying why weren't the Gardai in pursuit.
    Same thing goes with that Garda with the Swan. If the Garda Traffic core left the Swan on the road to assist last night and an accident happened people would be whinging on why didn't they do something it's there job. There the traffic cops.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement