Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Yeah the whole "due process" thing is just way overrated. Bring back internment and be done with it.

Yeah, that worked so well in the North in the 70s, it only resulted in a few thousand more deaths over the next 30 years - let's give it another shot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

RainyDay wrote: »
    Yeah, that worked so well in the North in the 70s, it only resulted in a few thousand more deaths over the next 30 years - let's give it another shot...

Well i was being sarcastic. i hope you were too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Yes but people got through before him.

Francis fitzgerald confirmed this yesterday.

The gards were there in 60 seconds of the first call getting through.

Your man seems to think he is some celebrity all ever the radio and news.

Do you have a source for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

barney4001 wrote: »
    grasping at straws again as usual

Me or Enda?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

kupus wrote: »
    I said it here on boards before, i feel safer walking down any ghetto in america(daylight hours) than walking in around dublin.

THe reason you start with gum and other little crimes is that the people doing it are more likely to get involved in bigger crimes as they progress up the ladder, nip it in the bud.
    Also it gets cops info they might not have known from some young fella running his mouth in the station while waiting for his id to show up.

And tramore man, since youre so worldy and traveled tell us your suggestions that you have.

Suggestions from playing xbox games not included.
    Haha,very good ..but I'm more of a PlayStation man..your living your life by mainstream media and your more likely a keyboard warrior then a real man with a real voice ,who wouldn't even know what article 40.3.1 is ,so my advice is for you to walk down clondalkin and tallaght and express your ideas in person .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ally Dick wrote: »
    They pick out the easier jobs. They revel in them. They still mount speeding checkpoints. They love bagging drivers in sneaky areas. Shooting fish in a barrell.

Ah now I know. Bit of an OG there Ally :pac: Slow down son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The Gardai can't win.
    If they chase a suspect in a car and the suspect or a member of the public dies. They'd be people saying why we're they chasing it's a disgrace.
    If the Gardai didn't chase and the suspect crashed the same people would be saying why weren't the Gardai in pursuit.
    Same thing goes with that Garda with the Swan. If the Garda Traffic core left the Swan on the road to assist last night and an accident happened people would be whinging on why didn't they do something it's there job. There the traffic cops.

All ifs buts and maybes. Just like the mentality of the cops, or rather their representative organisation. Plenty of excuses why they can't do something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

All ifs buts and maybes. Just like the mentality of the cops, or rather their representative organisation. Plenty of excuses why they can't do something

They seem to be able to catch speedsters :pac:

I know this is maybe way left of field. But I hate when you hear the likes of Bishop dermuid martin, condemning the killers and the affects on the children.

ask him to do his bit regarding ousting all the rapists and paedos of the cloth and he's quiet as a virgin in a confession box!!!!

sorry back on topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Do you have a source for this?

Heard them talking about it on Matt Cooper yesterday.

Francis fitz said it yesterday morning at her press conference.

http://utv.ie/News/2016/02/08/Continuity-IRA-claim-Dublin-hotel-murder-53646

Speaking on Monday, Justice Minister Francis Fitzgerald defended the response of Gardaí to the attack, saying members of the force were dispatched within one minute of receiving a 999 call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

rusty cole wrote: »
    I know this is maybe way left of field. But I hate when you hear the likes of Bishop dermuid martin, condemning the killers and the affects on the children.

ask him to do his bit regarding ousting all the rapists and paedos of the cloth and he's quiet as a virgin in a confession box!!!!

sorry back on topic!

Every Irish institution who can throw their weight behind the fight against these sinister anti-democratic gangs has to be welcomed no matter their obvious short comings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Heard them talking about it on Matt Cooper yesterday.

Francis fitz said it yesterday morning at her press conference.

http://utv.ie/News/2016/02/08/Continuity-IRA-claim-Dublin-hotel-murder-53646

Speaking on Monday, Justice Minister Francis Fitzgerald defended the response of Gardaí to the attack, saying members of the force were dispatched within one minute of receiving a 999 call.

More self serving rubbish from an incompetent minister. She even said it was a good thing that there weren't any guards there in a desperate attempt to spin herself out of any responsibility for the fact that there were no guards around despite the fact that in previous weigh ins there was trouble. Sure why were so many crime journos there? :rolleyes:

But Fitzgerald comes out and says the guards had no intelligence that there would be any trouble. Despite the fact that one fella was nearly shot at a similar weigh in at the Red Cow and only survived when the assassins gun jammed. Yeah right.

The fact is that neither Fitzgerald, nor Noirin O'Sullivan could care less about this until it blew up in their faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

More self serving rubbish from an incompetent minister. She even said it was a good thing that there weren't any guards there in a desperate attempt to spin herself out of any responsibility for the fact that there were no guards around despite the fact that in previous weigh ins there was trouble. Sure why were so many crime journos there? :rolleyes:

Its a good thing there were no unarmed guards around. If there were they would probably be dead.

But Fitzgerald comes out and says the guards had no intelligence that there would be any trouble. Despite the fact that one fella was nearly shot at a similar weigh in at the Red Cow and only survived when the assassins gun jammed. Yeah right.

The fact is that neither Fitzgerald, nor Noirin O'Sullivan could care less about this until it blew up in their faces.

the incident with the gun jamming took place at the fight not the weigh-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

it's up to the grannies and mammies now, according to the little bishop person :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

Start with fines for spitting out chewing gum! I seriously haven't laughed as much in my life as I did when I read that post lol. The Irish sure are thick as fcuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

shugy wrote: »
    Start with fines for spitting out chewing gum! I seriously haven't laughed as much in my life as I did when I read that post lol. The Irish sure are thick as fcuk!

Yeah the Irish can be summed up by one anonymous persons opinion on a message board :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

All we need now is a dark vigilante running around after the death of parents by violent crime and then we have batman.

Gangland needs a good looking bastard!
    They are all ugly as ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Can see the nicknames already.

"Pretty Boy"
    "Face"
    "The Heartbreak Kid"
    "Bronzed Adnois"
    "Mr. Perfect"
    "Ravishing Rob"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Our glorious governments of the last 30 years have presided over the Great Expansion of what they call Gangland. They will be looking for your vote for this Achievement !

Rural Crime has Escalated in such a Manner that many Elderly People are terrified in their own Homes.

Our Politicians will be looking for your Vote for this Accomplishment !

Think carefully about your vote and If you Keep Voting for the fg/ff/lab permanent government do not be surprised if you get the Same Result !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Listening to Enda on the news just now, and all I can do is shake my head....?

He's absolutely useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Can see the nicknames already.

"Pretty Boy"
    "Face"
    "The Heartbreak Kid"
    "Bronzed Adnois"
    "Mr. Perfect"
    "Ravishing Rob"

Then they can all cut old school heel promos on rival gang members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Listening to Enda on the news just now, and all I can do is shake my head....?

He's absolutely useless

I see the Dow Jones dropped by 7% today, I wonder how long it will take before Enda links the market shake up to SF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

blinding wrote: »
    Rural Crime has Escalated in such a Manner that many Elderly People are terrified in their own Homes.

Figures will tell you that you're much more likely to be a victim of crime in a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Funny little story this one. Well as long as no 'non gangland types' are hurt then lets all enjoy watching then have at each other. What an eye-opener too to their sorry little lives , boxing matches , I ask you. And did you see your man at the weigh in , how pathetic that he didn't look the slightest big fit just a big fat knakcer and the whole world saw him tying to be the big man Rocky. Pathetic. I wonder what they get up too when their not at boxing matches. Chicken fights I suppose.

I don't see why Garda should have been present at this event or why that hotel was hosting such an event in the first place. Unless it's owned by a bunch of knackers as well, probably is.

Just imagine the sense of Kudos those knackers would get if everytime they went out anywhere the Grarda would chaperone then. If one though there was going to be trouble one wouldn't just stand around waiting for it to happen - you'd shut the event down in the first place before anything transpired. It's not like they some right , as a minority group, to stage events when 'there could possibly be trouble and expect to be policed like it were a music festivals. The next thing you know they'll form advocacy groups demanding that be policed wherever they go cause it's their human right.

This story is being so overhyped. A spate of trigger happy knackers go on the rampage for a while in Dublin and it will die down again soon. No big deal at all. Enjoy the show while it lasts and just be glad your not one of them sum-bags that attends "weigh-ins" is some grotty north Dublin hotel.

• Advertisement

Funny little story this one. Well as long as no 'non gangland types' are hurt then lets all enjoy watching then have at each other. What an eye-opener too to their sorry little lives , boxing matches , I ask you. And did you see your man at the weigh in , how pathetic that he didn't look the slightest big fit just a big fat knakcer and the whole world saw him tying to be the big man Rocky. Pathetic. I wonder what they get up too when their not at boxing matches. Chicken fights I suppose.

I don't see why Garda should have been present at this event or why that hotel was hosting such an event in the first place. Unless it's owned by a bunch of knackers as well, probably is.

Just imagine the sense of Kudos those knackers would get if everytime they went out anywhere the Grarda would chaperone then. If one though there was going to be trouble one wouldn't just stand around waiting for it to happen - you'd shut the event down in the first place before anything transpired. It's not like they some right , as a minority group, to stage events when 'there could possibly be trouble and expect to be policed like it were a music festivals. The next thing you know they'll form advocacy groups demanding that be policed wherever they go cause it's their human right.

This story is being so overhyped. A spate of trigger happy knackers go on the rampage for a while in Dublin and it will die down again soon. No big deal at all. Enjoy the show while it lasts and just be glad your not one of them sum-bags that attends "weigh-ins" is some grotty north Dublin hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What the fcuk does being 'rural' have to with it? If crime has increased then it has done so everywhere

You even capitalised 'Rural Crime' :D

You're doing the jobs of desperate politicians and sensationalist media for them!

'Oh, the poor old helpless rural folk.. they need to vote for us and buy our papers'

There's plenty of people in rural areas living sound lives, who rarely think about crime, and I'd venture that many more live in cities and towns who do have to worry about it on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

People should not be getting worked up about the gangland crime with talk of more Gardaí we don't want a police state and sure isn't that why the world hates Assad's Syria. He's wiping out the terrorists and he is earning the scorn of all the human rights bodies for doing this.

The crime in Ireland is concentrated primarily in Dublin and most of the other crimes outfits are out spurts of the Dublin ganglands. A number of years ago in previous elections politicians were talking about employing an army of police onto the streets to keep the streets safe. I don't want to have any city to be put under lockdown like Paris was on account of the recent shootings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

colossus-x wrote: »

Why the hate on pro boxing though??

I like boxing...wouldn't be a huge fan...used help out a club (never boxed...too ugly as it is) when I younger...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

They pick out the easier jobs. They revel in them. They still mount speeding checkpoints. They love bagging drivers in sneaky areas. Shooting fish in a barrell.

Imagine that. The Gardai enforcing the law. Shocking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    People should not be getting worked up about the gangland crime with talk of more Gardaí we don't want a police state and sure isn't that why the world hates Assad's Syria. He's wiping out the terrorists and he is earning the scorn of all the human rights bodies for doing this.

And as we all know, the only two options are an undermanned, underfunded police force, or a dictatorial police state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Our glorious governments of the last 30 years have presided over the Great Expansion of what they call Gangland. They will be looking for your vote for this Achievement !

Think carefully about your vote and If you Keep Voting for the fg/ff/lab permanent government do not be surprised if you get the Same Result !

Urban crime has escalated more. You don't hear about it as much because the cities are neglected and under policed. The rural areas are more vocal (rural crime even mentioned on this thread) and over represented. Did you know the Garda Regional Support Units support the whole of Ireland... Except Dublin?

Dublin needs massive investment in all areas.

Why the hate on pro boxing though??

I like boxing...wouldn't be a huge fan...used help out a club (never boxed...too ugly as it is) when I younger...

I dunno I just wanted to take out my aggression on something today. Maybe I should just use my fists instead..

me: Excuse me annoying flatmate...
    annoying flatmate: Yes?...
    me: <WHACK>

And as we all know, the only two options are an undermanned, underfunded police force, or a dictatorial police state.

We have a plethora of political parties to choose from. The electoral PR system makes all those local issues become front cover breaking news. We could try trimming down the number of politicians by not voting for ridiculous candidates.

I dunno I just wanted to take out my aggression on something today. Maybe I should just use my fists instead..

You could take up boxing.

Maybe try anger management??
    Breath!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

This is getting enormous coverage on BBC News at 10.

Even the Brits are choking on their tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Youre wrong other people got through before him and the gards were here within 60 seconds of the call going through.

This all came out yesterday.

He is not wrong.

ONE Garda car arrived a minute after someone evetually got through to ES. Of course one garda car was feck all use when facing determined killers with AK47s.

It took another 5+minutes for the cavalry to arrive.

Yes the Guards are under resourced, big time.

I just saw Francis Fitzgerald the Minister for Justice on Prime Time tonight. By jaysus is she some fúckwit, claiming that this government have put so much resources into tackling crime etc. LuLuland stuff. This is what the FG/Labour party have done whilst in Government. They can use the word recovery (as delivered by the taxpayers/workers) all they want. Pity we have feck all services since people have not been replaced etc.

The guards need more support, a shítload of recruitment and for Garda Stations to be re-opened. Guns would also be a good start. You cannot be depending on detectives and ERU to be there when something goes down. The dogs on the street know this.

On the flip side this was all predictable. There was a story the previous week in the paper about who was in town and what the possible repercussions would be. Thats why there were so many crime reporters there who got some close up snaps, half of which I would say they had to turned over to the guards. But why didn't the Gardai have a presence at the hotel, one wonders?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

That Christy Kinahan looks like quite a nice bloke. Clearly he's a bit of a nutjob, and mass murderer, but he looks sound. He doesn't look like your typical Irish gangster. Maybe that's why he's been able to climb so high. He seems quite disarming. Bear in mind I'm basing this on one photo of him, where he's at a wedding of some description.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Its a good job the police didnt arrive on the scene because they would of been gunned down no doubt with ak47s if they tried to apprehend them.

• Advertisement

see how visibly shook up Fitzgerald was too. all the hallmarks of someone being pushed out to defend the indefensible. how many times did she use that ol "lets be clear" phrase... oooh lets be clear, coz I sure aint, c'mon brain next line, make it a good'n, ah yes SINN FEINN this, Gerry Adams that!!! the ol now ya see me, slight of hand politics... bottom line, whats more important, catching them or getting them into court.. sure no sense going fishing love with the biggest fanciest escape proof holding bucket if you blew on the money and have no rods or dragnet!!!!!!!

im no huge supporter of sinn feinn but Francis Fitzgerald looked quite the "booby" prize tonight!!

ya see what I did there!! of a late night whenst I beez a drinkin!
    show em what he's won JIM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Gamebred wrote: »
    Its a good job the police didnt arrive on the scene because they would of been gunned down no doubt with ak47s if they tried to apprehend them.

Honestly, he Guards arriving at the scene after the lads were killed already could have made things a hell of a lot worse. Imagine the hostage situation with cold blooded killers like these??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

STB. wrote: »

a shítload of recruitment and for Garda Stations to be re-opened.

Disagree. A thousand fresh faced recruits out of Templemore will no doubt assist with crime generally, but it won't fundamentally undermine gangs.

Closing Garda Stations inconveniences people who need passport forms stamped. It doesn't make life easier for drug dealers.
    Guns would also be a good start.

Hugely. Hugely expensive. What do you want; more guards, stations or neither but years of costly training and enormous expense to train guards how to and when not to shoot.
    You cannot be depending on detectives and ERU to be there when something goes down. The dogs on the street know this.

No they don't, they're dogs.
    But didn't they have a presence one wonders?

The "media" also predicted bloodshed last November. There can't be armed guards at every sporting event with criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Gamebred wrote: »

I seriously doubt that. These scumbags know better than to shoot a Garda, the repercussions from both the gardai and their own gang members for doing it would be immense. The shooters would be taken out pretty quickly, the gangs wouldn't want a p1ssed off police force coming after them or coming down hard on their operations. Gardai would cut off their cash flow.

Gangland shootings were around long before this government and will be after them.

At the height of the boom we had more than we do nowadays.

Cutback and stations closing have no effect on these lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that. These scumbags know better than to shoot a Garda, the repercussions from both the gardai and their own gang members for doing it would be immense. The shooters would be taken out pretty quickly, the gangs wouldn't want a p1ssed off police force coming after them or coming down hard on their operations. Gardai would cut off their cash flow.

Rubbish,try explaining that to the families of Tony Golden and Adrian Donohoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Fine Gael will be known forever as the party who closed all these garda stations making murder commonplace in Dublin whilst those in Rural Ireland are been robbed by travelling gangs week in week out....in rural ireland its defintley going to cost them votes...

hurler32 wrote: »
    Fine Gael will be known forever as the party who closed all these garda stations making murder commonplace in Dublin whilst those in Rural Ireland are been robbed by travelling gangs week in week out....in rural ireland its defintley going to cost them votes...

Seriously are you trying to say there was no murders before fg took charge?

The idiotic stuff I read on these threads sometimes makes me think a good portion of this country are braindead.

sdanseo wrote: »
    We're one of about four fully developed economies who don't justify that expense, worldwide.

At the very least there needs to be further investment in properly-equipped RSUs and more of them. The MP7, amazingly, is a fantastic choice of weapon (who knew Garda management had foresight) - they just need to roll more of them out to the DDU and other units. The idea that armed detectives would have shown up to the Regency with nothing but a P226 is both darkly funny and completely terrifying in equal measure.

It's high time armed checkpoints gave way to armed foot patrol in these areas. Keep the unarmed guard, but hell, show force where force is needed.

Afaik the gaurds are unarmed as a policy since the civil war times...an effort to remove violence from Irish society...not a cost issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Fat Freddie nicked last night after the Hutch hit. Blood on his runners and tracksuit bottoms. Gardai are awaiting the results of tests.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement