Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That was Larry Dunne, one of the original and bestest (or worstest) of the drug lords we ever bred.

Thanks, think it was thought that Gilligan said it also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

We people get out and protest over crime in Tallaght !! I dont think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I wonder if the gardai are offering protection to these reporters in question, or did they just tell them their on a hit list?

We people get out and protest over crime in Tallaght !! I dont think so

Huh?

Huh?

We had a few months ago a big protest in jobstown ... some very vocal elected public representatives ... will they get out and protest over crime

• Advertisement

I wonder if the gardai are offering protection to these reporters in question, or did they just tell them their on a hit list?

Paul Williams always got protection after a bout of threats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Paul Williams always got protection after a bout of threats.

still has armed protection well had a year ago I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Thanks, think it was thought that Gilligan said it also!

first cahill,now gilligan?

it was larry dunne said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

warpdrive wrote: »
    "and fired a number shots"

Aren't independent supposed to be one of the more respected news outlets in Ireland?

No,they cater for a section of readers called the "squeezed middle".

And their readership is fast declining,with social media becoming the norm.

first cahill,now gilligan?

it was larry dunne said it.

Read my post again, I said it was thought, as in some people claim Gilligan said it too.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »

Well a few guys at INM are now target's and possibly their families, these prícks are ruthless, we're talking about a lot of people needing protection. I hope the gardai will step up to the plate for these reporters.

Well a few guys at INM are now target's and possibly their families, these prícks are ruthless, we're talking about a lot of people needing protection. I hope the gardai will step up to the plate for these reporters.

Only so many armed police to go around so who knows,I actually heard a story of someone delivering fast food to the williams house and the police pounced on them,how true it is I dont know.

Only so many armed police to go around so who knows,I actually heard a story of someone delivering fast food to the williams house and the police pounced on them,how true it is I dont know.

Ah that was because the delivery driver phoned in ahead and said I forgot your Coke to go with your order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

How would these scum bags find out where these journalists live (names aswell)? On a side note someone posted previously that the Monk was an ally with the IRA (does anyone know how true this is). If he has their support against Kinahans cartel it could get very messy:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe the Gardai don't want the papers leading the charge on investigating the gangs I would imagine there is some serious anger and embarrasment in garda hq right now

Just a thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Maybe the Gardai don't want the papers leading the charge on investigating the gangs I would imagine

Are you kidding?

Some journalists have a direct line of contact to the top gardai in this country. They're pally as fcuk and no doubt share information all the time

Garda Commissioner at launch of Paul Williams' latest gangland book

Her husband was appointed to investigate garda leaks to journalists!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/garda-commissioner-defends-husbands-appointment-to-investigation-687916.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Look at the contemp these up and coming people have, the scummers have really lost the run of themselves, theres no disapline in schools from the get go, not fathers or parents able to keep there children under control for the most part from poor backgrounds and living in under privileged areas. With nobody to tell them no from the beginning there encounters with Garda and courts are the only people to tell them off and sure they walk out as if nothing happened. Theres no body to put them in there place, and over the years this problem has been brushed under the carpet while its growing massively in size and its all coming to a head now. There shooting each other without a flying ****ing for anyone else, in courts attacking judges and now brazzingly threathing journalists.

This softy softy approch needs to be put to bed and people need to wake the up. The government have a massive part in this, reducing budgets constantly for Garda, not opening new prisons, not equipping the naval service/customs to stop drug trafficking into Ireland and not sorting out the justice system to had down sentences. Ireland is soft, this guy who ever he is in Spain is worth 1 billion euro and calling the shots from Spain as if Ireland is some sort of puppet, how soft are we going to get. Wake up people, we might be the slicon valley of Europe be we must be also the Mexico/Columba of it also.

Sorry about grammer/spelling I am on mobile. But needed to post this.

billyhead wrote: »
    How would these scum bags find out where these journalists live (names aswell)? On a side note someone posted previously that the Monk was an ally with the IRA (does anyone know how true this is). If he has their support against Kinahans cartel it could get very messy:eek:

Apparently the monk was asked by the kinehans to mediate territory so both gangs could operate in separate territory. Apparently he told them to fûck off because he doesn't deal with drug dealers. Then Gary was murdered. Then the Freddie was forgiven and rattled people out in turn for his life.

That's what's posted online anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The politicians that have been in power since the murder of Veronica Guerin should hang their heads in shame.

But the useless gobs***es have the cheek to ask for your vote !

Another thing also that really pisses me off, is the way the Minister keeps on saying more Garda will be hired?

Yes the Garda need more Garda we know that, but I know from personal experience, and FFS is that not all Garda are even trained on how to drive Garda cars, so can't drive them to 999 calls/some can't even drive at all so, we have a collection of a serious amount of Garda not able to drive/won't drive or want to drive but won't out of fear of crashing.

So, if we can't even get something as basic in the Garda as sorting out getting everyone been able to drive a car, how laughable is it too expect them to become armed. That's only the tip of the iceberg from what I have heard, imagine what else they are not trained in, how can there be such a backlog for these courses, get the guys trained for god sake. They should all be trained in how to drive cars and a motorcycle, so when either are free they take them out and patrol, any type of routine that can be done by civilians should be done and no Garda in these areas at all.

Then lets move onto other areas, customs again, only one scanner for the whole ROI, more staff in customs again, get them out and about and get more scanners/dogs. Naval service, get more staff in there, more boats more patrols more monitoring.

That's all I can think of for now, but this isn't as simple as hiring more Garda, yes we need more but we need serious improvements in out services. Close down all channels to get this stuff in or serious reduce the ability to get it in and you'll soon find it will seriously interrupt there operations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Think that's been gone a good while.
    Maybe the Gardai don't want the papers leading the charge on investigating the gangs I would imagine there is some serious anger and embarrasment in garda hq right now

Just a thought

I think the threats are probably due to the photos taken of the shooters. No doubt gangsters had issues with the journalists gathering info on them before but the photo of two identifiable people running from the shooting might have given them all a bit of a shock as to how much journalists can sting them.
    Are you kidding?

Some journalists have a direct line of contact to the top gardai in this country. They're pally as fcuk and no doubt share information all the time

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/garda-commissioner-defends-husbands-appointment-to-investigation-687916.html

He found the leak and the person responsible was removed form their position and is in disciplinary proceedings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Are you kidding?

Not really, while some like to see themselves as some sort of deep throat, others realise he's pretty self serving and causing needless work for them, so have little time for him.

Prime Time should be interesting tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the Gardai and their spokes people are really playing the poor mouth on this one and taking advantage of this situation to get more for themselves.

when they say resources, what they mean is "more overtime and money in our netbox".

its pathetic when you listen to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What we need at this stage is an Irish Frank Castle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

mynamejeff wrote: »
    VIllage police may be required in villages in rural areas . As in exactly the ones that were closed by enda

Having the village police man type of approach ie softly softy" aw come n now lads " walking around in ridiculously appropriate uniform with a silly hat and a asp baton and weakest possible strength tiny pepper spray can and driving cheap small engine Korean cars and political motivated leadership, thats the time i ws referring to being gone

If you reopen village police stations, you don't get more coppers on the beat. You get more coppers stuck INSIDE the police station, signing dole forms and passport applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

TallGlass wrote: »
    we might be the slicon valley of Europe be we must be also the Mexico/Columba of it also

52 people were killed in a prison riot in Mexico today. Another 5 with possibly life threatening injuries. And in Ireland we've had 2 gangland killings in the last couple of weeks.

The only thing we're the world capital of is overreacting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    52 people were killed in a prison riot in Mexico today. Another 5 with possibly life threatening injuries. And in Ireland we've had 2 gangland killings in the last couple of weeks.

This a million times

Yes there has been two in the space of a few days , but there was only 7 or 8 last year which is the lowest it has been for years. You'd swear Dublin had turned in Juarez overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Maybe so that does not excuse the vicious crimes that do take place in Dublin routinely. Your also forgetting all the disturbances caused by the crime. High levels of burglaries and bomb squad being sent to close down areas to remove suspected devices. These vile criminals rob copper wirings off buildings, steal from churches, assassinate each other and engage in a massive black market right under our noses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

gandalf wrote: »
    What we need at this stage is an Irish Frank Castle!

Someone steal John Wick's dog and make it look like the gangs did it.

So we are not shipping millions of euros worth of cocaine into Ireland for distribution to the rest of Europe?

Ok so we had two killings, ah sure we are all fine then my mistake.

Go put your head back into the sand son.

The police in spain have a lot to answer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Post ftw so far is "jobsbridge the feck out of them" love it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The police in spain have a lot to answer imo.
    Spain have pretty tough police by most accounts but they do not make much of a job of policing drug gangsters.

Gangsters in Ireland or Spain do not get away with as much as they do without Corrupt Police Officers.

I suppose there are elements political and otherwise that like the colour of their money even if its just in the economy (not direct criminality) this money is welcomed with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Well he is ment to be the man in charge isnt he ?

He is the one who signed off at the end of the day on the systemic destruction of the nations justice system and took no positive steps to fix the massive problem that now exists

He is the leader of the government isnt he ?

All this stuff didnt happen on its own you know.

So presumably then before Enda K there was no such thing as drugs, no such thing as gangland?

Jesus wept....yes he's in charge but use a bit of common sense! You can not blame the government for every little thing that goes wrong. It's petty and childish and absolves those truly at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

So presumably then before Enda K there was no such thing as drugs, no such thing as gangland?

Jesus wept....yes he's in charge but use a bit of common sense! You can not blame the government for every little thing that goes wrong. It's petty and childish and absolves those truly at fault.

Enda is our longest serving TD since 1975 - breathe that in .....that's 1970 fcuking 5 longer than I've been born -
    by default above all in the Dail he would have the most time to influence policy on drugs and organised crime or at a minimum speak about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong he has never spoken in favour of legalisation which would cut the cash cow that is drugs from the criminal underworld. Criminals smuggle drugs because there is money there....they will move onto something else but perhaps with less profits there will be less criminals and less bloodshed.

bar a few soundbites has Kenny ever offered a solution to why young people within certain areas gravitate toward crime or how he would intend to limit crime ...no....he is all bluster.

so if politics has any blame for crime (which I believe the state does) then enda kenny is front and centre of that blame.
    Yes he was in opposition for many years but I don't recall any impassioned speech a la joe higgins or tony gregory on crime and drugs from enda.
    None

nineteen seventy five....
    That's 40 years in Dail eireann...at age 24 you think he would be bursting with ideas ...but fcuk me he is just a glorified career civil servant.

What are the those standing for election promising to do about crime ? I dont hear much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

arayess wrote: »
    Enda is our longest serving TD since 1975 - breathe that in .....that's 1970 fcuking 5 longer than I've been born -
    by default above all in the Dail he would have the most time to influence policy on drugs and organised crime or at a minimum speak about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong he has never spoken in favour of legalisation which would cut the cash cow that is drugs from the criminal underworld. Criminals smuggle drugs because there is money there....they will move onto something else but perhaps with less profits there will be less criminals and less bloodshed.

bar a few soundbites have Kenny ever offered a solution to why young people within certain areas gravitate toward crime or how he would entend to limit crime ...now....he is all bluster.

so if politics has any blame for crime (which I believe the state does) then enda kenny is front and centre of that blame.
    Yes he was in opposition for many years but I don't recall any impassioned speech a la joe higgins or tony gregory on crime and drugs from enda.
    None

nineteen seventy five....
    That's 40 years in Dail eireann...at age 24 you think he would be bursting with ideas ...but fcuk me he is just a glorified civil servant.

How long has Gerry been in politics or Michael or Joan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Clutching at more straws than a scarecrow having a ****.

It was a tongue in cheek remark. I was under the impression this was after hours.

We have a school teacher from mayo running the country what do you expect I wouldnt let him look after my dog never mind a country,Im not saying all business experts are never wrong but you can be damn sure a proper ceo would run the country like a business and not have it in ruins the way it is today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

JustTheOne wrote: »
    How long has Gerry been in politics or Michael or Joan?

loads and loads of years - wikipedia has the answers.
    although joan is only in the dail since 1997 (i think ) which is about half the time of our glorious leader.

but it's all whataboutery - Enda has had the power the longest or at least the platform .

In fairness to Gerry , the shinners were are the forefront of anti-drug marches years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

arayess wrote: »
    loads and loads of years - wikipedia has the answers.
    although joan is only in the dail since 1997 (i think ) which is about half the time of our glorious leader.

but it's all whataboutery - Enda has had the power the longest or at least the platform .

In fairness to Gerry , the shinners were are the forefront of anti-drug marches years ago.

Gerry, along with John Hume and many others helped bring peace to Ireland with the GFA.

What exactly are Endas achievements in office??

Edit: Question not directed at arayess, just following on regarding his point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Yeah the whole "due process" thing is just way overrated. Bring back internment and be done with it.

I'm not arguing for internment without trial, I'm arguing for a mandatory minimum sentence of at least ten years for any conviction of violent, gang-related crime. I don't believe in mitigating circumstances where gangland is concerned. If you're involved with a violent criminal gang, regardless of your circumstances, you're a scumbag who knows exactly what you're doing and how it is impacting on the lives of ordinary citizens.

We should also have cascading sentences for previous convictions. In other words, the violent scumbag arrested for possession of a gun should get a higher sentence upon discovery of a long criminal record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

We have a school teacher from mayo running the country what do you expect I wouldnt let him look after my dog never mind a country,Im not saying all business experts are never wrong but you can be damn sure a proper ceo would run the country like a business and not have it in ruins the way it is today.

Except that it's not a business, it's a country. Running a business is easy - money in, money out.

Running a country is a bit different. You don't get to control demand. You don't decide how many people get sick, or how many people will crash their car, or how many will be born.

You're in control of people's lives, not selling them a product or service. It's a different league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I can't take people who come up with this nonsense seriously.

Enda Kenny was a school teacher for 4 years over 40 years ago. You may as well tell us that we have a school child running the country it was that long ago.

In any case, why is having a previous job as a school teacher seen as a negative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Is there anything to be said for letting them all kill each other if they promise to be careful with the public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Iang87 wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for letting them all kill each other if they promise to be careful with the public

Drop them all off on Spike Island and have our own version of Battle Royale. It would be a ratings hit if nothing else.

How's that theory working out for the people of Flint, Michigan? Oh yeah, they all have lead poisoning.

I simply cannot understand people's attitude to the government. You're not electing a God, you're not electing someone to massively and directly change your life and make you rich and happy. You're electing people to manage the day to day boring stuff, whose hands are usually tied by existing forces such as unions etc.

The sad part of this all is that our electorate must once again be bought off, not even a decade after the crash, the worst effects of which came from this ideology, and people are baying for more handouts.

Once again, you're not electing a daddy, how you live your life or succeed is up to you. We need long term stability and common sense in this country, not the whims of petulant children to be addressed day after day like they're the be all and end all.

All the Enda supports out in force today,the man is a puppet farmer that shouldnt be let in control of a country complete cowboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

All the Enda supports out in force today,the man is a puppet farmer that shouldnt be let in control of a country complete cowboy.

So you're saying he's a teacher that grows puppets.

Ok then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement