Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

realies wrote: »
    Way of topic, sorry but

Why is there no gangland killings in Cork or Galway ? Not like Limerick or Dublin. ?

It could be arranged....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Way of topic, sorry but

Why is there no gangland killings in Cork or Galway ? Not like Limerick or Dublin. ?

To paraphrase Orwell, people sleep peacefully in their beds in Limerick at night because rough men from the Detectives did violence on their behalf. The same is needed in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It's in the public interest because the Hutch family (not the deceased but close family)are guilty of handling huge amounts of illegal drugs for financial gain, spreading misery and death across the city and country, and have been involved in executions of people who have crossed them, most recently in a hotel full of people including children in the middle of the afternoon.
    Plus taxpayers money is being spent on Gardai at this funeral in order to prevent further bloodspill
    The threat to innocent law abiding people going about their business is increasing
    So yes coverage of this funeral is entirely appropriate

Totally agree, the way some of the media is going on you would think the hutch family were a gang of preachers, They were/are one of the biggest crime family's in the state as bad as the kinahan gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was reading up a bit about about Christy Kinahan Sr and it's obvious to see how they became so big. He's not your common braindead street thug, the guy speaks three languages, holds two separate university degrees and is regarded as a criminal law expert.

If only he had put his intelligence into legitimate projects he could have got on well in the world without the crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

I feel sorry for the deceased and wider Hutch family here.Obviously there are some bad eggs but also many of them have no connection to criminality and are hard working and law abiding citizens. Just carrying the name as has been proven could make them a target.

The powerful Kinihan Cartel are believed to behind many murders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Rugbymad96

Anyone else sick of hear the Jonathan's described as a cartel??the real Mexican and Colombian cartels would walk over the likes kinahan and his scumbag mates

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I was reading up a bit about about Christy Kinahan Sr and it's obvious to see how they became so big. He's not your common braindead street thug, the guy speaks three languages, holds two separate university degrees and is regarded as a criminal law expert.

If only he had put his intelligence into legitimate projects he could have got on well in the world without the crime.

Big deal, no doubt he got his qualifications paid for by the State while in prison while some poor teenager out of school can't afford to go to college....makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

It's in the public interest because the Hutch family (not the deceased but close family)are guilty of handling huge amounts of illegal drugs for financial gain, spreading misery and death across the city and country, and have been involved in executions of people who have crossed them, most recently in a hotel full of people including children in the middle of the afternoon.
    Plus taxpayers money is being spent on Gardai at this funeral in order to prevent further bloodspill
    The threat to innocent law abiding people going about their business is increasing

So when the local drug dealer or drug taker who funds such operations down the road from your houses' innocent nan dies it's in public interest to broadcast the funeral?

222233 wrote: »
    So when the local drug dealer or drug taker who funds such operations down the road from your houses' innocent nan dies it's in public interest to broadcast the funeral?

In all fairness we have never seen such funerals like this before in the state re gangland,and with the massive Garda precence and two murders in four days , it was all a bit much.

Rugbymad96 wrote: »
    Anyone else sick of hear the Jonathan's described as a cartel??the real Mexican and Colombian cartels would walk over the likes kinahan and his scumbag mates

You write that as if it's something to be proud of,

The cahills the dunnes the dundons the Cunninghams the hutches the kinahans,John gilligan,the penguins and countless others, my apologies if I left someone out and hurt there egos

There all the same, gangsters criminals, just in it for the money and getting it anyway they can illegally and not letting anyone get in there way of there pursuit of it either.

• Advertisement

And no doubt we will have. p Williams on the late late tonight telling us all that there evil bastards,scumbags never seen the likes of them before etc etc all the while he trying to write his book before someone else pips him to the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

222233 wrote: »

No. Those people are at the bottom of the revolting food chain and are victims of the Hutches and the Kinihans of this world.
    The Kinihans in particular put on a spectacular display this week in part to goad the Criminal Justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Hutches funeral seemed a " normal inner city dublin " in comparison to the the Byrnes one
    Which has a show of power ( money = power )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Rugbymad96 wrote: »

Mu cartel daddy is bigger than your cartel daddy...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Maybe the Gangsters should be charged very large amounts for the Funerals.

They are business people of sorts. If something costs them too much they will stop doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

blinding wrote: »

They are business people of sorts. If something costs them too much they will stop doing it.

I'd have said that the (rumoured) 200K that the first funeral cost was a very large amount indeed :eek:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'd have said that the (rumoured) 200K that the first funeral cost was a very large amount indeed :eek:

Well as the funeral homes are businesses to they are not going to price themselves out of the market ? There will always be someone or some business who will step up and do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Way of topic, sorry but

Since the first gangland killing in Ireland happened in Cork and there have been at least 5 more there since then, that city is hardly immune to it.

iguana wrote: »
    Since the first gangland killing in Ireland happened in Cork and there have been at least 5 more there since then, that city is hardly immune to it.

When was that then ?

And I never said it was immune to them but they are very far and few between, considering there are many major criminals living down that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the people choose to take the drugs and therefore are responsible for their situation. i feel sorry for them being addicted but it was their choice originally. this type of gutter press reporting is not in the "public interest" . it exists to sell papers (god knows why it sells)

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

When was that then ?

And I never said it was immune to them but they are very far and few between, considering there are many major criminals living down that way.

April 1995

Michael Crinnion

dashdoll wrote: »
    Big deal, no doubt he got his qualifications paid for by the State while in prison while some poor teenager out of school can't afford to go to college....makes my blood boil.

a grant system is availible for that poor teenager out of school. if they don't qualify thats unfortunate but that is the system. it is perfectly right that prisoners receive education as part of getting them ready to go back into society. if it benefits one person its worth the expence. plenty of issues where ones blood should boil, this isn't one of them.

i would imagine they do have to pay the funeral home and others involved. the gards are different, it is our duty to pay for them as they are at the funeral for the greater good.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

April 1995

Michael Crinnion

I read that actually but it's wrong, there were many gangland killings before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

When was that then ?

Here's an article from 2014. Six gangland killings in Cork but no prosecutions. Maybe the silence of those involved has led to less media interest?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/sinister-silence-protects-corks-gangland-killers-30461699.html

JOHN Kelly was the 10th person to die in the past year in a "gang land" assassination in Dublin.

In the last year 10 people have been shot dead in Dublin in a spate of killings for which no one has yet been charged.

On April 1st John Reddan was shot dead in a Dublin pub, the Blue Lion. Reddan, who was in his 40s, was a prime suspect in a 1981 murder. But his death was believed to be a revenge attack for another killing the stabbing to death of Sean McNeill (23) outside a disco in north Dublin in February 1995. Gardai were waiting for a decision from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to charge Reddan when he was killed.
    Reddan was described by gardai as a persistent band violent criminal who was involved in many robberies and other crime but who managed to avoid conviction for any serious offences.

Gerry Lee (31), a Dublin drug dealer and robber was shot at a house in Coolock last month at the end of a night's partying to celebrate his birthday. A close associate of the notorious Dublin criminal known as "The Monk", he had been included in a list of criminals threatened by a vigilante group with republican links.
    It is also possible that Lee had crossed some of his own criminal associates. He was a dangerous criminal, an armed robber by trade who who had graduated to medium scale drug dealer.

Eric Shorthall (22), a petty criminal, was shot dead in Ballyfermot last November. He was approached by a gunman who shot him in the leg and head before escaping on a motorcycle. This is believed to have been a contract killing on behalf of a criminal family in Ballyfermot.

Mr Christy Delaney (46) was shot dead in Finglas in the same month. It is believed he was killed at the instigation of a north Dublin drug dealer who suspected him of passing information to the Garda.

They are all before April 1995

• Advertisement

a grant system is availible for that poor teenager out of school. if they don't qualify thats unfortunate but that is the system. it is perfectly right that prisoners receive education as part of getting them ready to go back into society. if it benefits one person its worth the expence.

Well it definitely benefitted Christy Kinahan

a grant system is availible for that poor teenager out of school. if they don't qualify thats unfortunate but that is the system. it is perfectly right that prisoners receive education as part of getting them ready to go back into society. if it benefits one person its worth the expence. plenty of issues where ones blood should boil, this isn't one of them.

Well of course there are grants but the they don't go very far. I know from personal experience I was forced to turn down my first choice degree as I simple couldn't afford to live in Dublin so yes I would rather see someone young and out of school get better opportunities than see a convicted heroin dealer while away his time in prison doing degrees funded by the taxpayer especially when that person didn't exactly reform upon release. That's life though isn't it.

Well of course there are grants but the they don't go very far. I know from personal experience I was forced to turn down my first choice degree as I simple couldn't afford to live in Dublin so yes I would rather see someone young and out of school get better opportunities than see a convicted heroin dealer while away his time in prison doing degrees funded by the taxpayer especially when that person didn't exactly reform upon release. That's life though isn't it.

just because he didn't reform doesn't mean nobody reforms. the whole idea of education is to insure prisoners have something of benefit when they leave prison. surely its better that the opportunity is there and it helps some get away from crime, even if it is a small few?

just because he didn't reform doesn't mean nobody reforms. the whole idea of education is to insure prisoners have something of benefit when they leave prison. surely its better that the opportunity is there and it helps some get away from crime, even if it is a small few?

Absolutely, I agree with you but recidivism rates in Ireland areally over 60%....speaks for itself. Prisoner's should repay the fees from the future income or taken from their dole once released. It will never happen but it's my point of view.

• Advertisement

Costello sues newspaper over photo with gangland boss

A LABOUR TD has filed a defamation case against the Irish Mail on Sunday just five days after it published a photograph of him with Gerard Hutch, a gangland leader known as The Monk.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1670197.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Pretty sick of armed checkpoints on my road at this stage!

the people choose to take the drugs and therefore are responsible for their situation. i feel sorry for them being addicted but it was their choice originally. this type of gutter press reporting is not in the "public interest" . it exists to sell papers (god knows why it sells)

They wouldn't have the choice to take the drugs if the likes of the Hutchs and the Kinihans weren't waiting and able to take advantage of vulnerable disenfranchised people
    In the case of the Kinahans they clearly took advantage of the opportunity of a funeral to ram their vulgar wealth and power down the throats of their rivals, the justice system, and you and me, who they no doubt hold in contempt as a bunch of losers
    In the case of the Hutches, well, several are in prison and though it's clear the deceased had little to do with the evil drug trade, I've no doubt that no Hutch ever went short of a dig out while Gerry had the means to sort their problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Homer Nixon

iguana wrote: »

There's been gangland murders in Dublin since at least the late 70's/ early 80's. They weren't at the rate they have been for the last 20 years but they've always been there.

They wouldn't have the choice to take the drugs if the likes of the Hutchs and the Kinihans weren't waiting and able to take advantage of vulnerable disenfranchised people

bull. they would and do have the choice to take the drug. this "the takers are always the victim" nonsense is just that, nonsense. people ultimately choose to take the drug. there has to be a stage in ones life where one knows (i really shouldn't take this) . the dealer is responsible for selling, the taker is responsible for buying and taking.
    In the case of the Kinahans they clearly took advantage of the opportunity of a funeral to ram their vulgar wealth and power down the throats of you and me

they didn't ram it down my throat as i didn't even bother following the story of the funeral. i have no interest in such gutter press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

if your talking about crumlin, their all gone.

You could apply the same logic to Paddy Power and anyone in the pub/ off licence game.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    if your talking about crumlin, their all gone.

They're a largely pointless exercise. There is usually a gap of several months between retaliation murders.

bull. they would and do have the choice to take the drug. this "the takers are always the victim" nonsense is just that, nonsense. people ultimately choose to take the drug. there has to be a stage in ones life where one knows (i really shouldn't take this) . the dealer is responsible for selling, the taker is responsible for buying and taking.

they didn't ram it down my throat as i didn't even bother following the story of the funeral. i have no interest in such gutter press.

You can be as snotty and snobby as you like about the "gutter press" but the fact that your on this thread giving your opinion about the gangland feud means that you have as much knowledge about the goings on as any of us, according to you, unsophisticated vulgar little peasants
    So EOTR, where did you get your information about the minutiae of this feud, because it wasn't the Telegraph or the Gaurdian, was it?
    I hope your arrogance and lack of any empathy or humility regarding drug addiction doesn't come back to bite you on the bum.
    None of us knows or can be sure what catastrophe will befall our loved ones, unless you have no loved ones....

You could apply the same logic to Paddy Power and anyone in the pub/ off licence game.

As far as I'm aware nobody burst into a packed hotel in the middle of the afternoon brandishing AK47s as part of a feud about gambling or booze, so no, not the same thing at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

You can be as snotty and snobby as you like about the "gutter press" but the fact that your on this thread giving your opinion about the gangland feud means that you have as much knowledge about the goings on as any of us, according to you, unsophisticated vulgar little peasants
    So EOTR, where did you get your information about the minutiae of this feud, because it wasn't the Telegraph or the Gaurdian, was it?
    I hope your arrogance and lack of any empathy or humility regarding drug addiction doesn't come back to bite you on the bum.
    None of us knows or can be sure what catastrophe will befall our loved ones, unless you have no loved ones....

I think most people would have sympathy with the plight of an addict but the fact remains that when a person chooses to purchase from a dealer they are contributing to the violent industry that has resulted in these shootings and share in responsibility for the violence, even if only a small bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

As far as I'm aware nobody burst into a packed hotel in the middle of the afternoon brandishing AK47s as part of a feud about gambling or booze, so no, not the same thing at all
    During Prohibition in America that did happen quite a lot. This does actually add a lot of credence to those that say drugs should be legalised .

I am undecided myself but the Prohibition period in America does raise very interesting questions.

When you live in an area where dealers are around every corner and where all your peers are either addicts or dealers then the "choice" becomes very vague and remote
    Addicts and small time dealers don't need sympathy or pity
    They need to be able to get drugs from somewhere else other than the odious Kinihans and Hutches
    When the scumbags can't make as money from peddling filth they'll soon find some other way to make money and the heroin supply will dry up

When you live in an area where dealers are around every corner and where all your peers are either addicts or dealers then the "choice" becomes very vague and remote
    They need to be able to get drugs from somewhere else other than the odious Kinihans and Hutches
    When the scumbags can't make as money from peddling filth they'll soon find some other way to make money and the heroin supply will dry up

am, no . they will just be replaced by others, and the heroin supply will continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

How about they stop taking drugs and stop putting extra pressure on the health and social welfare systems ?

how about they stop being self pitying and take some personal responsibility?

You make it sound like they had no choice but to be drug dealers or addicts FFs

Ireland has more than enough services for people from "disadvantaged areas" If their lives go down the tubes its up to them to own up and fix it

How about we kill everyone involved in drugs including the users......?

(/Sarcasm)

I'm not!
    I think it makes a change from seeing scobes in hoodies on the corner!

mynamejeff wrote: »
    How about they stop taking drugs and stop putting extra pressure on the health and social welfare systems ?

Ireland has more than enough services for people from "disadvantaged areas" If their lives go down the tubes its up to them to own up and fix it

It's not just disadvantage areas that fuel the drugs gangs

Dublin independent councillor Mannix Flynn believes there is no doubt that so-called recreational drug users play their part in lining the pockets of gang overlords. "The middle classes play a huge part in all of this and without them, the gangs wouldn't be making nearly as much money as they are," he says. "Middle-class people don't want to admit there's a link, or even think about it, but there is and by deciding to smoke a joint or snort cocaine, they're aiding and abetting very dangerous criminals who have made themselves very wealthy while spreading nothing but misery around them."

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/suburban-customers-who-fuel-gang-wars-34466290.html&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoTOTE5OTAzODg5MjAxMDkxOTUyNjIZZDliNDhlYTA2MzY2ZjBlOTppZTplbjpJRQ&usg=AFQjCNGpfC1aIQZnEpdM7YCvo8HoAOqzHw

am, no . they will just be replaced by others, and the heroin supply will continue.

Am, no, if heroin were decriminalised, then the Kinahans et all would lose all interest

• Advertisement

mynamejeff wrote: »

So you don't have any bad habits.
    Hey, good for you, up there on your big high horse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement