Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

bajer101 wrote: »
    Strange choice of username if so. Bunny Colvin was the police chief in The Wire who recognised the idiocy of the war on drugs and set up "Hamsterdam" where drugs could be traded without any police intervention as long as they remained non-violent. While on the surface, the dissidents are anti-drugs, they don't mind allowing the trade to flourish as long as they get their cut. And violence is very definitely are the forefront of this arrangement. It is the antithesis of what The Wire's Bunny Colvin was trying to achieve.

That's accurate. The Hamsterdam method around the country would be better than the system we have at the minute.
    Strumms wrote: »
    Well you said it... never to late to start talking sense to yourself :D

Im impressed !

Well it's a good thing to stay quiet when you don't really know the ins and outs. The Ryan's might have got what they deserved, that's true but commenting on their deaths like it was all laid out like an episode of The Sopranos seems a bit much also, when nobody really knows what happened to bring about this murder. Hopefully these killings stop soon, it's only a matter of time before an innocent bystander catches a bullet or there's a case of mistaken identity. Apart from that, I won't lose too much sleep either way nor will I celebrate the death or be bothered by the funeral of someone I've never met or know the first thing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭dashdoll

There has already been a case of mistaken identity with Shane Geoghegan in Limerick. Probably more that I can't recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

dashdoll wrote: »
    There has already been a case of mistaken identity with Shane Geoghegan in Limerick. Probably more that I can't recall.

Anthony Campbell from Dublin was in the wrong place at the wrong time too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

Anthony Campbell from Dublin was in the wrong place at the wrong time too.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/keith-walker-shooting-2160786-Jun2015/

Another more recent one. Didnt get much media talk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Another two innocents who were murdered were as a result of this feud. The two cousins from O'Deveney Gardens had a tracking device placed under their car by mistake and were killed at a garage in Clearwater by the Taliban brothers who were the hired guns for Mr. Big. That was shocking. And their deaths also give an insight into how fúcked up this gangland nonsense is. They were murdered in a case of mistaken identity by Mr. Big, who at the time was feuding with Micka. Then the Ryans killed Micka. Then Mr. Big fled to Spain and became best buds with Micka's mate and exploited the territorial gap that the Ryans had created by taking out Micka. And then they killed Alan Ryan. Then Vinny miraculously got charges dropped while tooled up on the way to a hit. The Taliban brothers fled to Libya. Paschal got locked up over threats to kill a CAB officer. Giller paid off someone who won the lotto to claim their ticket and is in and out of solitary both here and north but with few serious charges sticking. Sean Connolly kills Eamonn Kelly and gets caught and is also segregated cos he sang. Vinny gets his throat slashed a few months ago and got killed today. And the strangest thing of all is that Paul Williams gets trotted out on every news show and sells books because he is deemed to be the expert on the subject!! He knows nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭DamienDarts

Who is this mr big?
    I bet no one but no one outside the media refers to him as mr big!!

Who is this mr big?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Who is this mr big?

No one knows. You could be standing next to him and you would not know it. Some say he is six foot eight inches tall and breathes fires through his nostrils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

His name is in one of the links above.

Tilly wrote: »
    His name is in one of the links above.

I have read a fair few names on the links but cannot follow who is who? Would love to know more!
    And where are the arrests for all these shootings?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

There is also another criminal mixed up in all this called "The Panda" lol.

I wonder how he got that nickname ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I have read a fair few names on the links but cannot follow who is who? Would love to know more!
    And where are the arrests for all these shootings?

Google is your friend for these answers, not After Hours.

Simon2015 wrote: »

Cause he's big a cuddly <3

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Google is your friend for these answers, not After Hours.

If only I knew how, after half an hour of googling I thought I had it sorted and still do but towards the end of word press I read it mentioned he was in me bigs gang so now I'm not 100per cent it is him but I'm fairly sure.
    Any hints to confirm?
    Why are people afraid to name names on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

If only I knew how, after half an hour of googling I thought I had it sorted and still do but towards the end of word press I read it mentioned he was in me bigs gang so now I'm not 100per cent it is him but I'm fairly sure.
    Any hints to confirm?

Legal restrictions I'd assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Simon2015 wrote: »

There was another panda chap who was shot dead 3 or four years back. They must be recycling nicknames at this stage.

wardides wrote: »

I don't think the panda or Mr Big are going to be bringing " wardides" or "damiendarts" to court anytime soon!
    There scum and should be treated as such, I bet they love this Mr Big **** and all the younger toe rags will commit horrendous crimes so one day they might be a celeb like Mr Big.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Any hints to confirm?

No, there will be no hints.
    wardides wrote: »

No legal restrictions that I am aware of, but speculation is not what we do around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Who is this mr big?

His real name is

Little willie smallhorn, but people call him mr big out of fear.

• Advertisement

Another man shot dead with links to an organisation extorting money from drug dealers?
    No surprise!

What is surprising and comical is those trying to claim the man and his brother were honest hard working heroes!

There was another panda chap who was shot dead 3 or four years back. They must be recycling nicknames at this stage.

It's the same man, Micka "The Panda" Kelly. He was murdered a few years back in Clongriffin. It's all tied in to this RIRA/Mr Big feud and the assasination of the Ryan Brothers. Also the murder of RIRA Man Fat Deccy Smith not long ago.

On the Radio this morning it was said this feud is going back to around 2009 and at this point 8-9 men have killed. It's not directly linked to the Hutch/Kinahan stuff, although these people would have associates or know the various factions.

Yeah. Eamonn Kelly was a soft target. He was retired and had no active involvement. And even still, it was a botched hit and Sean Connolly was convicted easily - which is practically unheard of in these so-called professional hits. It's been a good few years since I talked to any of the lads involved in this sort of stuff, but even back then they didn't take the dissidents seriously. I had them described to me as "a bunch of amateurs bumping into each other in the dark".

The Ryans were throwing their weight around for years extorting money. They cut off two of Jay O'Connor's fingers in Fairview a few years back and that seemed to make up a few people's minds that they were becoming a nuisance. If you are going to get involved in that business and carry on like that, you will have a lot of difficulty getting a reasonably priced life assurance policy.

It was said Kelly okayed hit Alan Ryan hit, he still had supposedly a high amount of sway and power with many criminals. He also wouldn't pay extortion demands, and never changed his routine of spending his time in bookies in Killester. I had heard of Alan Ryan cutting someones fingers off, was mentioned a few times around his death IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Last sting of a dying wasp. :rolleyes:

Even ten years ago the fool - ex.PD Minister for Justice Micheal McDowell was having to eat his words from two years earlier.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/mcdowell-admits-gangland-last-sting-claim-wrong-19214.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Another man shot dead with links to an organisation extorting money from drug dealers?
    No surprise!

What is surprising and comical is those trying to claim the man and his brother were honest hard working heroes!

They lived for them childer.

Not any more, they don't .

Gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Who is this mr big?

Have a closer look at post 1606 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Strumms wrote: »
    well hopefully the authorities take a more in your face approach to illegal hordes of scumbags firing off shots in public whist in balaclavas in broad daylight....

Can't see the state forces letting that happen again especially after the last time and the recent hotel shooting shambles

They look weak right now

Lots of his supporters on fm104!
    Thick Dublin accents most of them!
    Scum

All the arguments saying he is a hero and all the stories are hearsay!
    Sounds like half the boards sympathisers for this guy call the phone show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Have a closer look at post 1606 ;)

Ok I've read #1606 a number of times, and unless I'm missing someone else who's completely obvious to you I'm guessing its Paul Williams?.

Will someone just tell us wtf is Mr.Big?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Ok I've read #1606 a number of times, and unless I'm missing someone else who's completely obvious to you I'm guessing its Paul Williams?.

I think he was featured in Love Hate as Terrence Big Balls

• Advertisement

I think he was featured in Love Hate as Terrence Big Balls

He was actually in sex and the city.

It was said Kelly okayed hit Alan Ryan hit, he still had supposedly a high amount of sway and power with many criminals. He also wouldn't pay extortion demands, and never changed his routine of spending his time in bookies in Killester. I had heard of Alan Ryan cutting someones fingers off, was mentioned a few times around his death IIRC.

Yeah, I heard that too about Eamon okaying the Ryan hit. Eamon was a brother of Des Kelly (the carpet guy), and he was a very serious player back in the day. Ironically, he was a associated with another heavy hitter who, while never mentioned in the media, had probably the best gangland nickname - The Pawnbroker. He was called this because he had three testicles! Eamon Kelly was a mentor to Eamon Dunne (The Don) and Marlo Hyland. But he was a different breed to those lads and preferred to keep a low profile.

Alan Ryan chopped off two of Jay O'Connor's fingers in Fairview, including, symbolically, his trigger finger! Although one of the fingers was retrieved and sewn back on. Jay made his mark as probably the most prolific car thief of the time along with his may David "Gully" Goulding, but he then rose up the ranks and is now also involved in another feud aganst his former Westies mate Gully.

Then there's Greg Lynch who is a very serious player and would be a main distributor for the Kinehans. He survived a hit attempt a couple of years ago but was left seriously disfigured with half his jaw blown awa.

Dublin gangland should be the source of lots movie or TV scripts. Love/Hate didn't have a patch on the reality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

From reading between the lines, it's a former car robber from Clonsilla, that had a major falling out with a friend and partner in crime

flanzer wrote: »
    From reading between the lines, it's a former car robber from Clonsilla, that had a major falling out with a friend and partner in crime

No, it's not Jay O'Connor or Gully Goulding.

On another note, the dissidents took another heavy wallop today. It's not just the major gangsters who are hitting back against their extortion rackets. The Garda now also want to get involved! Story in the Indo this evening.

:whistles

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/gangland-thug-being-linked-to-20k-kidnapping-gang

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Does every gobs***e in Ireland with a nickname fancy themselves as a gangster.

I think our heroes from 1916 and the war of independence would deal with them conclusively.

It says a lot about our modern politicians that they have let the conditions for so many "gangsters" develop and continue.

The gangsters are obviously no brain boxes and even if they were, the not so bright gang members would fook it up.

The Gardai (some of them) must be on the Take from some of these Gangsters.

I disagree with nearly all of the previous post.
    blinding wrote: »
    Does every gobs***e in Ireland with a nickname fancy themselves as a gangster.

They don't actually have these nicknames. These names are just constructs invented by the tabloid media to sell newspapers. Eg., Christy Kinehan - AKA - The Dapper Don. Do you think anyone has ever addressed him as such? "Story Dapper! Are you going for a pint?"
    I think our heroes from 1916 and the war of independence would deal with them conclusively.

No they wouldn't. Brave as they were, they were a badly organised and equipped force whose strength lay in their ability to wage a guerilla war. Guerilla warfare wouldn't be as effective against criminal gangs, as they would mainly be employing the same tactics. If you want to draw comparisons then you should look at how the IRA (all flavours) have dealt with the gangsters. They haven't! When they try to take them on, they get wiped out. The Gangsters are cleverer and are better equipped.

I'd also argue that all of the the "heroes from 1916 or the war of Independence" are morally superior than the gangsters we are talking about. A lot of those "heroes" went on to fight in an idiotic civil war and murdered people over a treaty disagreement. Whereas, some of today's so called gangsters are just selling a commodity that there is a demand for and which is legal in other jurisdictions and which will become legal here soon. I personally don't have a moral issue with people buying and selling weed. However I do have a huge problem with people draped in tricolours putting guns to those guys heads and saying, "give us our cut, or we will kill you and your family". If the next day I found a mercury tilt bomb under the family car, I would have no hesitation in putting two in the back of the head of the person who just tried to kill me and my family.

You could argue that I shouldn't be involved in selling weed, and live by the sword, die by the sword etc. But I know people who very nice guys who sell weed and have absolutely no involvement with gangland and had to pony up to these "Heroes of 1916". Or you could argue that because it is illegal, you deserve everything you get. Read tomorrow's papers and ask yourself what you would do if those CIRA scumbags kidnapped your son and beat him with an iron bar!
    It says a lot about our modern politicians that they have let the conditions for so many "gangsters" develop and continue.

It doesn't really. It says a lot about the electorate who continually vote in politicians who keep implementing the same failed policies. The one politician - Aodhán O'Riordan - who tried to tackle this issue with a progressive attitude was voted out by the idiots who are more concerned about metering water. Prohibition does not work. Drugs are much too serious to be left in the hands of criminals. If only we had examples of what happens when you implement prohibition and also what happens when you remove that prohibition. Oh, we do. America in the 1920s with alcohol and more recently Portugal with other drugs. This stuff is so obvious that it is too painful to even have to bother to try and explain it.
    The gangsters are obviously no brain boxes and even if they were, the not so bright gang members would fook it up.

A lot of them are idiots, but some of them are the cleverest people I have ever met. Christy Kinehan built a billion Euro portfolio, and to do that he not only had to deal with the day to day profit and loss margins of a normal business, he also had to deal with the other issues that normal CEOs don't encounter. There have been plenty of gangsters who have made multi millions and you will never have heard of. Oh, I just realised I can name Jim Mansfield as he is now dead and you can't libel the dead. Good old Jim, or as he was known "The Aul Fella". He said he made his millions selling scrap from the Falklands. He didn't make his money from flying in tonnes of Coke and Heroin through his private airport in Weston. Oh god no. Frequent visitor to the tent in Galway too.
    The Gardai (some of them) must be on the Take from some of these Gangsters.

I can't argue with this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

It be interesting to see how the state control/monitor the funeral of Vinny ryan, This is the third major gangland !!! funeral in as many weeks, Also you would wonder did the kinahan's have anything to do with it ,With the dissidents being involved with the regency hotel attack and VR one of there leaders in Dublin, Its a bit to much of a coincidence ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

It be interesting to see how the state control/monitor the funeral of Vinny ryan, This is the third major gangland !!! funeral in as many weeks, Also you would wonder did the kinahan's have anything to do with it ,With the dissidents being involved with the regency hotel attack and VR one of there leaders in Dublin, Its a bit to much of a coincidence ?

Vr isn't one of the leaders.

They have Noone left anymore. He was working in a barbers and just had a baby. He wanted out.

His past caught up on him.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Vr isn't one of the leaders.

They have Noone left anymore. He was working in a barbers and just had a baby. He wanted out.

His past caught up on him.
    Was he actually another Soft Target.

These Tough Gangsters are fond enough of taking out easy Targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Dublin gangland should be the source of lots movie or TV scripts. Love/Hate didn't have a patch on the reality!

I think they sourced a lot of their content from real life incidents and people. I could recognise a lot of scenes from real life incidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The Pawnbroker. He was called this because he had three testicles!

I always wonder with that kind of nick names... how the **** did they find out he had 3 marbles in his sack?

inforfun wrote: »
    I always wonder with that kind of nick names... how the **** did they find out he had 3 marbles in his sack?
    Maybe Gangsters Mots(Is this still in use) are not all that discreet ! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

It's great we can pull all these extra resources for policing funerals out of our ass, yet extra resources can't be found for stopping crime

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

blinding wrote: »
    Was he actually another Soft Target.

These Tough Gangsters are fond enough of taking out easy Targets.

dont think he was soft target, if media are to be believed he knew his life was in grave danger and was being watched, previous attempts and also attacked in town recently.

I think this guy knew he was a target (rightly or werongly, ive no idea).

Cant help but feel for his family and partner and young child, that little kid will never get to know there dad.

very sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Why isn't he?
    Being in the Real IRA for a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ryan was driving a car registered to David Byrne's brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

It's great we can pull all these extra resources for policing funerals out of our ass, yet extra resources can't be found for stopping crime

any especially for low lifes and not normal joe soaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

oh, ho...the plot thickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Sunday world source was it?

It's amazing people know how the media works expecially over the last few years with all the goings on with the government, and just believe anything printed still.

Who knows it might be true but it might be complete bs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

This is what the state needs to do :
    - evacuate the Aran Islands over the next month. Pay the islanders handsomely to move to the mainland
    - take every gang member of the Kinahan/Hutch/Ryan/Keane-Collopy/McCarthy-Dundon gangs, and deport them to the Aran Islands
    - suspend all links to the mainland
    - any helicopters that fly over the Aran Islands get blown out of the sky with a bazooka
    - provide them with whatever ammunition they need
    - give them food and water
    - let them blow the sh1t out of each other
    - after 6 months, come back and monitor the situation. Whoever is left alive, can go home
    - any more gangland activity, and repeat the process again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement