Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I'd hazard a guess that one of them is the dodgy looking pub in Cabra with no windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Why bother using the resources to "warn them". do you think these gangland lads are oblivious to the notion of their rivals retaliating against them?

Gardai: "One-legged mick our investigation tells us, dicko dano is going to shoot you because you shot his bruv"

One-legged mick: "no sh1t sherlock, but I didn't do nuffin"

Gardai: "don't worry, we'll provide you with all the protection you need"

Some are aware, some are not. There families may also not be aware. At the end of the day, if a guy is shot and the Gardaí had evidence that he was being targeted before hand then how much hassle would they be in if they didn't even warn them?

As to your concern about the investigations, when you have a victim whose family and friends won't talk to you then an investigation will always be slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

323 wrote: »
    Yes. It did!

Internment . The indefinite detainment/imprisonment without trial, began in August 1971 and was in place for a number of years. Know a number of people who were interned for various lengths of time.

Instead of reducing violence, it caused it to increase and was probably one of the best recruiting tools the IRA ever had.

As to OP
    Scumbags killing each other off = less scumbags.

Whats the problem?

Do try and keep up. The event i was referring to that did not happen in Northern Ireland was the funeral of Alan Ryan that involved a paramililtary display. I'm well aware of internment. I'm old enough to remember when it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Some are aware, some are not. There families may also not be aware. At the end of the day, if a guy is shot and the Gardaí had evidence that he was being targeted before hand then how much hassle would they be in if they didn't even warn them?

As to your concern about the investigations, when you have a victim whose family and friends won't talk to you then an investigation will always be slow.

If the gardai have evidence they are being targeted, why don't the bring the guys doing the targeting "down town", conspiracy to murder charges

If the gardai have evidence they are being targeted, why don't the bring the guys doing the targeting "down town", conspiracy to murder charges

Most likely because the evidence is insufficient or comes from a confidential source.

Most likely because the evidence is insufficient or comes from a confidential source.

if the evidence is insufficient why would there be hassle if the gardai didn't warn them?
    ....... At the end of the day, if a guy is shot and the Gardaí had evidence that he was being targeted before hand then how much hassle would they be in if they didn't even warn them?.....

Who would be giving them this hassle, btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if the evidence is insufficient why would there be hassle if the gardai didn't warn them?

insufficient to prove in a court of law does not mean that the intelligence is not credible.
    Who would be giving them this hassle, btw?

Do you think that the duty of the gardai to protect members of the public doesnt extend to people they dont like?

insufficient to prove in a court of law does not mean that the intelligence is not credible.

Do you think that the duty of the gardai to protect members of the public doesnt extend to people they dont like?

I do wonder who the gardai are working for. If they know jimmy the robber, the notorious robber in my area, is let out of jail, should they call round to me and tell me my house will more than likely be robbed?

They should by your logic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Half hour report on BBC Radio 4 now. Ubiquitous Paul Williams being ubiquitous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If only there was a central system where you could simply type in a name of a company or person in to it and it would give you a list of all cars that a suspected gang owned they could be tracked all over the city...oh wait there already is.

If only there was a central system where you could simply type in a name of a company or person in to it and it would give you a list of all cars that a suspected gang owned they could be tracked all over the city...oh wait there already is.

Where?

M

Where?

Car ownership database.

Car ownership database.

That shows gang affiliations? Gangs rarely register cars to themselves. One of the biggest dealers in Ireland owns a car sales business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

That shows gang affiliations? Gangs rarely register cars to themselves. One of the biggest dealers in Ireland owns a car sales business.

The family ? Ballyfermot/clondalkin gang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Car ownership database.

Why bother when they've phones and there's cctv everywhere and a woman who really knows what she's doing
    1960: "I have a great idea! lets have every person in the country carry a radio tracking beacon!"

"That'll never fly!"

2012: "I can has TWO iphones??"
    At his trial on Thursday senior crime and policing analyst Sarah Skedd spoke to prosecuting counsel Alex Owens SC.

She told him that she compiled charts of calls and texts relating to 13 phones gardai suspected to have been used by the alleged gang that killed Mr O'Byrne.

She said the general location of the phones could be established by the masts that they connected to when making calls or sending and receiving texts.

By combining that information with CCTV footage of cars believed to have been used in the shooting, she said she was able to track the movements of the alleged gang.

One of the phones, said by the prosecution to belong to suspect Eugene Cullen, was linked to 20 texts and calls before 8.30am on the day of the killing.

In one two-minute period that evening, about 90 minutes before Mr O'Byrne was shot, the phone received 24 texts.

Another phone, referred to by Mr Owens as the Primera Phone because it was discovered in a Primera seized by gardai hours after the killing, was traced to various locations in Coolock within one hour of the shooting.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/phone-masts-used-to-track-text-activity-between-murder-gang-members-at-time-of-fatal-shooting-trial-hears-34509392.html

• Advertisement
    M

gctest50 wrote: »
    Why bother when they've phones and there's cctv everywhere and a woman who really knows what she's doing

Exactly, work smarter, not harder.

M

UTV Ireland have a Gangland "Special" on tonight at 9...

Open Warfare: Ireland's Gangland Feud - An Insight Special
    Documentary examining the roots of gangland crime in Ireland, in light of the recent killing of David Byrne in Dublin and the murder of taxi driver Eddie Hutch at his home in the North Inner City. The Insight team also travels to Spain to discover the origins of the latest feud, including interviews with serving and former Garda detectives as well as some of Ireland's leading crime journalists, and the brother of Veronica Guerin, whose murder in 1996 led to a widespread outcry about gangland crime and the establishment of the Criminal Asset Bureau.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Watched it last night It was very well done, unlike the Paul Williams one but nothing really new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭DamienDarts

Finally a bit of movement this morning as the guards are raiding homes and a business in Dublin city.

Finally a bit of movement this morning as the guards are raiding homes and a business in Dublin city.

This one is against the kinahan gang, there was already a move against the hutch side last week.

• Advertisement

This one is against the kinahan gang, there was already a move against the hutch side last week.

Ya so they gave the Kinihan boys plenty of time to destroy any evidence and what ever else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

why are these raids not happening monthly?

why does it take the state being shamed before it takes any action?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

why are these raids not happening monthly?

why does it take the state being shamed before it takes any action?

They're raiding places all the time. It's the media who have a reawakened interest and are now reporting on every minor detail.

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    They're raiding places all the time. It's the media who have a reawakened interest and are now reporting on every minor detail.

They are raiding all sorts of dealers homes all over the country all the time yes.
    But hitting the kinihan gang with CAB is certainly not happening all the time.

LDN_Irish wrote: »

I they were raiding that gang constantly they would be out of business in Ireland

I they were raiding that gang constantly they would be out of business in Ireland

...and the gardai would be up in court for harassment and invasion of human rights, big payout...and still free to carry on with immunity

but this protection the gardai are giving them is a racket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

They'll take the cars, put them into Garda service, the crims will replace the cars. No one will be prosecuted. It's the circle of life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Forget it. Don't want to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

They are raiding all sorts of dealers homes all over the country all the time yes.
    But hitting the kinihan gang with CAB is certainly not happening all the time.

Yes, because investigations like that take time. I wonder do the accountant and solicitor know the activities that their client are involved in? Any charges pending for these white collar scumbags? They are as much a part of the criminal class as those who handsomely reward them for their efforts.

I see Paul Williams is not as friendly with the Gards as he was once was- he is openly criticial of them now("the lions led by donkeys").

One of them had a 38 grand on a 7/4 bet in the United Liverpool game tomorrow night!!
    Unreal !!!

Does anyone know what pub it is that they own and drank in and had meetings in? It was also raided today.

• Advertisement

One of them had a 38 grand on a 7/4 bet in the United Liverpool game tomorrow night!!
    Unreal !!!

Does anyone know what pub it is that they own and drank in and had meetings in? It was also raided today.

would you not find that out for yourself mr monk :-)

would you not find that out for yourself mr monk :-)

I'm trying my best!
    No one is talking to me

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Gardai seem to be doing their job for a change.

Three AK-47 assault rifles used in Regency Hotel attack seized by gardai
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/three-ak47-assault-rifles-used-in-regency-hotel-attack-seized-by-gardai-34527790.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

'Gardai dealt a severe financial blow to the Irish-based associates of the global drug trafficking cartel, led by Dubliner Christy Kinahan.'

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/national/panic-room-discovered-as-cash-and-cars-seized/ar-AAgATm3?li=AAaxjhv

I had to LOL at this one, I doubt the Garda are even touching the surface of how much money Christy and his organisation have and lets be honest at this stage, its an organisation not a gang he is running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

^^^^
    Almost 30 top of the range cars, six motorcycles, jewellery and expensive Rolex watches – with a total property value estimated to be well in excess of €1m

Even the gangsters go for paddy spec cars when they go car shopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Gardai seem to be doing their job for a change.

Three AK-47 assault rifles used in Regency Hotel attack seized by gardai
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/three-ak47-assault-rifles-used-in-regency-hotel-attack-seized-by-gardai-34527790.html

Paul Williams getting ahead of himself there.

'It is understood gardai are satisfied the weapons seized were used in the attack on the Regency hotel, however they are yet to be forensically examined.'

I'm sure there are more than two AK-47s in the country, I will wait for the results of the forensic examination.

TallGlass wrote: »
    'Gardai dealt a severe financial blow to the Irish-based associates of the global drug trafficking cartel, led by Dubliner Christy Kinahan.'

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/national/panic-room-discovered-as-cash-and-cars-seized/ar-AAgATm3?li=AAaxjhv

I had to LOL at this one, I doubt the Garda are even touching the surface of how much money Christy and his organisation have and lets be honest at this stage, its an organisation not a gang he is running.

a few flash toys and what would be to them walking around money was seized

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭septictank

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Dean Swift on Francis Street?

It's a pub in the north inner city.

M

Unreal !!!

What I want to know is did he put the money on Liverpool or United, the match is tonight :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

What I want to know is did he put the money on Liverpool or United, the match is tonight :pac:

Thinking at 7/4 it must have been United - a fool and his (laundered) money....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wonder what type of money the average 'foot soldier' for want of a better term makes a year?

Have a look on google maps at Byrne's house on Raleigh Square (its the second one in off the road - can't miss it).

It has more security features than Fort Knox and the small window panes look like Obama's limo.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Coat22 wrote: »
    Have a look on google maps at Byrne's house on Raleigh Square (its the second one in off the road - can't miss it).

It has more security features than Fort Knox and the small window panes look like Obama's limo.

Link?

Not sure wtf is going on in the back garden but front lawn look nice :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Not sure wtf is going on in the back garden but front lawn look nice :-)

yeah, what the heck is that in the back garden?
    some crazy playground for spoilt kids?
    some extentions out back too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Excuse my silliness but how do you look in the back garden or are you pulling our leg ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I am sure i would get the permits for that just as easy as he got them.

Earth view

whiskeyman wrote: »
    yeah, what the heck is that in the back garden?
    some crazy playground for spoilt kids?
    some extentions out back too.

Seems to be a self contained village! I think someone is sunbathing in it:)

The Panic Room in one of the extensions I guess.

Wonder if the velux in the roof is bullet proof too? Doesn't look it - he hasn't banked on Spiderman attacking him :):)

inforfun wrote: »
    I am sure i would get the permits for that just as easy as he got them.

Earth view

Somehow I doubt if many of the neighbours objected......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement