Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭DamienDarts

What next?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Do gunmen not usually know exactly who rhey are going after?

Do gunmen not usually know exactly who rhey are going after?

Hired ones probably get a description and a location!
    Over here your typical professional hit man is another scumbag in a hoodie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dosent really add up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Jayop wrote: »
    Should minimum sentencing be introduced?

Specifically for gangland related activity, yes. I know people will point to the US as an example of a disastrous implementation, but their system applies to a whole range of stuff which should be left at the discretion of judges - personal drug use, non payment of fines, consensual sex between teens, underage drinking etc etc etc. The horror stories you hear regarding "three strikes" life sentences generally involve unbelievably petty crimes, and are rightly condemned.

It's not the same when somebody has been involved with criminal gangs since their teens and shows absolutely no signs whatsoever of ever developing empathy for their fellow humans. Those people need to be locked up for long enough for the Gardai to get a handle on things, so that when they are released, they are released into an environment in which it is impossible for them to operate without getting caught.

• Advertisement

Yeah, usually runners wear runners!
    It would be equally strange if they reported a man in brogues or doc martens was Seen running away!

Given that there was apparently a drag event going on in Noctors, "a young male wearing high heels and suspenders" wouldn't be outside the bounds of possibility :D

Jayop wrote: »
    Yet again the farcical drugs laws in this country (and most others) puts normal people who just want to smoke a bit of weed in harms way.

Sort the drugs laws in Ireland and put the likes of these gangs completely out of business.

It's not just Ireland TBF. The world needs to wake up to the fact that drugs laws were originally introduced during a time in which social control - stopping promiscuity and the destruction of "family values" - were mainstream political beliefs and not pariahed as they are today. It was never about protecting people or anything like that, that excuse came afterwards - it was about maintaining social order, which in today's individualistic society is itself seen as repressive.

It's widely known for instance that ecstasy wasn't banned because of health concerns, it was banned because of a presumed heightening of the "risk" of one night stands following consumption in nightclubs.

Hired ones probably get a description and a location!
    Over here your typical professional hit man is another scumbag in a hoodie

A pair of college women in the US put out an ad in Craigslist for a hit man to get them out of an exam. They gave very detailed instructions and included a "please do not kill" tag line. :D

http://www.hngn.com/articles/30841/20140508/students-post-craigslist-ad-hit-man-injure-out-finals.htm

"I am looking for someone to run my friend and I over with their car. We do not want to die, we just want to be injured enough to get out of taking our finals here at UGA.

Please do not kill."
    "

They further stressed that they didn't have any cash to pay the hit man, and it was for pure enjoyment. The payment offered was simply the enjoyment of "hitting two lovely ladies by vehicle w/permission". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Specifically for gangland related activity, yes. I know people will point to the US as an example of a disastrous implementation, but their system applies to a whole range of stuff which should be left at the discretion of judges - personal drug use, non payment of fines, consensual sex between teens, underage drinking etc etc etc. The horror stories you hear regarding "three strikes" life sentences generally involve unbelievably petty crimes, and are rightly condemned.

It's not the same when somebody has been involved with criminal gangs since their teens and shows absolutely no signs whatsoever of ever developing empathy for their fellow humans. Those people need to be locked up for long enough for the Gardai to get a handle on things, so that when they are released, they are released into an environment in which it is impossible for them to operate without getting caught.

Gangland and violent crimes should be punished very seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Is there any CCV cameras in the area?

Thought I seen one down there a few weeks, but can't remember where.

Gun found in wheelie bin, would it not have been easier to throw it down Spencers Dock.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

We keep on talking about the " scumbags " and drug dealers but the real problem with this country is the amount of lawyers. ... they are the real scumbags in my opinion .

It suits lawyers and judges to have a revolving door of criminals in and out of courts getting untold millions in legal aid spent propping up their companies.

The legal eagles ( lawyers ) in the state departments draft laws, which the legal profession ( lawyers ) use to get their clients off or at worst case get the judges ( ex lawyers ) to suspend a sentence.

No one should be entitled to free legal aid more than 3 times. That would help a lot.

It is the same reason for car insurance prices rising. .... the cost of claims. They actually have managed to circumvent the Personal Injuries Board to keep the legal professions gravy train going.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    We keep on talking about the " scumbags " and drug dealers but the real problem with this country is the amount of lawyers. ... they are the real scumbags in my opinion .

It suits lawyers and judges to have a revolving door of criminals in and out of courts getting untold millions in legal aid spent propping up their companies.

The legal eagles ( lawyers ) in the state departments draft laws, which the legal profession ( lawyers ) use to get their clients off or at worst case get the judges ( ex lawyers ) to suspend a sentence.

No one should be entitled to free legal aid more than 3 times. That would help a lot.

It is the same reason for car insurance prices rising. .... the cost of claims. They actually have managed to circumvent the Personal Injuries Board to keep the legal professions gravy train going.

To be fair, denying anyone the right to legal representation would not only desecrate the concept of due process, but would be very probably be illegal under EU and perhaps even international law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Yea but the ERU are a unit of a few hundred maybe a thousand strong,

More like 50
    Apparently the young man was down on sheriff street just to buy abit of grass, poor lad woke up this morning not knowing he'd be sleeping in a morgue tonight, tragic.. ****in scum need to be dealt with a strong hand, they have so much money they can tie court cases up for years, all this ****ing left wing side of fixing things need to stop, it's no wonder you have vigilante groups roaming the city when the guards are out of there element.. Most guards who police the inner city are boggers from small villages in the country the only bit of crime there used to is someone tipping the local cow over... They are not equipped to protect the citizens FACT!!

Most Gardaí in Dublin have been there since they left the college. They are very experienced in policing in Dublin. Country people policing Dublin is not the issue. The revolving prison doors are the main issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    It's a while since any of the Gardai had Uzis.
    I have seen them on the news over the past few weeks. They must have been brought out of storage since this feud started.

Not your ornery onager

Dosent really add up

What doesnt add up?
    Mistaken identity?
    Ever hear of Shane Geoghan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Most guards who police the inner city are boggers from small villages in the country the only bit of crime there used to is someone tipping the local cow over... They are not equipped to protect the citizens FACT!!

Or maybe a bit of burglary from lads using the the m6 and m7 for easy access :rolleyes:
    Gaurds don't just walk out of school and get a pair of hand cuffs and an area to police thrown at them. They are trained no matter where they are from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

bubblypop wrote: »
    What doesnt add up?
    Mistaken identity?
    Ever hear of Shane Geoghan?

They keep talking about the intended target, but at no point do they say that he was present at the time. Even the guards have said they can't say if it's related to the Kinahans yet, it's the tabloids who are saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gerinspain

Governments should look for a way to make all drugs legal and put these feckers out of business. Yes, I know they would move on to some other criminal endeavour but the target market for drugs is huge compared to, say, prostitution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

The shooter will be caught I'd guess,hopefully anyways,it was very amatuerish hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

given the millions of euro floating about the two gangs in the feud it doesn't add up that the shooter was on a bicycle

http://www.mirror.co.uk/incoming/dublin-shooting-horror-man-blasted-7756471

maybe I'm wrong but I think there is something else at play here like local grief..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bicycle would be by far the best method to choose down there to get away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

It's also not the first time someone on Sheriff St. has been shot by someone on a bike, it also happened in 2010: http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0714/133297-byrnes/

[edit]Actually, thinking about it, a bike or motorbike makes a lot of sense. Cars can only get onto that bit of Sheriff St. from the East, all the other directions are blocked off with Bollards etc. Shooting someone on a bike and then heading straight for the pedestrian shortcuts means there's no chance a car could follow you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Why don't you throw up a comparison of the number of gang members prosecuted compared to the number of protesters and republicans prosecuted. My god, your post is so moronic it gave me a headache.

Come on use your head.

Criminals can openly operate and accumulate millions.
    They drive the best of cars, wear the best of cloths and sport the finest jewellery, yet remain free to walk the streets. Republicans are arrested held in prison without bail for many months only for trials to collapse.

I'm not a republican or sticking up for them but the gards have had so much success against them.

There is something not right about it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

He's was probably on a bike because it was probably some junkie scrote that had a debt to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Victim was known to the Guards, but still presumed not the intended victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

He was homeless with drug problems in the wrong place at the wrong time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

spurious wrote: »
    Bicycle would be by far the best method to choose down there to get away.

eh no.
    I know they are narrow streets but on a bike you are vunerable and you don't get that far away relative to a motorbike
    flanzer wrote: »
    He's was probably on a bike because it was probably some junkie scrote that had a debt to pay

this is more likely the scenario

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

arayess wrote: »
    eh no.
    I know they are narrow streets but on a bike you are vunerable and you don't get that far away relative to a motorbike

I doubt the plan was for him to get too far away on the bicycle, just out of the general area. So many ways he could go on foot once he got onto Seville place. Slow to walking pace, ditch whatever hoodie he was wearing and it's very easy to blend in.

Doubtful it was draglady they were looking for, would it not be a more portly associate of his?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nicola Tallant on talking about it on Prime Time RTÉ1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Gerinspain wrote: »
    Governments should look for a way to make all drugs legal and put these feckers out of business. Yes, I know they would move on to some other criminal endeavour but the target market for drugs is huge compared to, say, prostitution.

One of the biggest problems on the streets of Dublin at the moment are drugs that can be bought legally but are sold illegally. Cigarettes are no different. Legalise drugs is just another sound bite that people choose to voice without actually thinking it through. Also, I can imagine many criminals are involved in both drugs and prostitution. Something else I don't get is the call to not punish those who carry drugs for personal use. It's a bit like not punishing drivers who drive too fast but punishing garages and manufacturers that sell and make them. There is also a tide turning to punish those who buy sex rather than sell it to tackle prostitution as has just happened in France. Why should drugs be any different?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

The spot where he was murdered is a known heroin dealing spot,surprised there was no police on hand tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Gamebred wrote: »
    The spot where he was murdered is a known heroin dealing spot,surprised there was no police on hand tbh.

Don't be silly water meters to protect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

One of the biggest problems on the streets of Dublin at the moment are drugs that can be bought legally but are sold illegally. Cigarettes are no different. Legalise drugs is just another sound bite that people choose to voice without actually thinking it through. Also, I can imagine many criminals are involved in both drugs and prostitution. Something else I don't get is the call to not punish those who carry drugs for personal use. It's a bit like not punishing drivers who drive too fast but punishing garages and manufacturers that sell and make them.

I'm not sure if the poster you quoted means legalise or decriminalise, but I suggest you just read this article: http://mic.com/articles/110344/14-years-after-portugal-decriminalized-all-drugs-here-s-what-s-happening#.ADy843qjU
    There is also a tide turning to punish those who buy sex rather than sell it to tackle prostitution as has just happened in France. Why should drugs be any different?

Prostitution should be legal. There's absolutely nothing wrong with selling sex. What the French did was a step backwards and to be held up as a beacon of progressive laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

511 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the poster you quoted means legalise or decriminalise, but I suggest you just read this article: http://mic.com/articles/110344/14-years-after-portugal-decriminalized-all-drugs-here-s-what-s-happening#.ADy843qjU

Prostitution should be legal. There's absolutely nothing wrong with selling sex. What the French did was a step backwards and to be held up as a beacon of progressive laws.

I am pretty sure it was legalising: 'Governments should look for a way to make all drugs legal...'

I haven't read the article you suggest. I am vaguely familiar with what has been initiated in Portugal and looking forward to the read. When it comes to the argument of legalising or decriminalising I don't think people think it through before suggesting it. There are so many factors and changes across the board that would be required.

With regards to prostitution I wasn't offering an opinion on wether it should be legalised or not. Plenty who have been involved, neither buying nor selling but sold, who will disagree with you there.

One of the biggest problems on the streets of Dublin at the moment are drugs that can be bought legally but are sold illegally.

Looking for Zimmos? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Just catching up on this thread. A lot of posts are saying that the intended target was the Drag gunman from the Regency. I don't know where that information has come from - but it is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭gangstergossip

bajer101 wrote: »
    Just catching up on this thread. A lot of posts are saying that the intended target was the Drag gunman from the Regency. I don't know where that information has come from - but it is wrong.

yea your right i dont know why people are thinking that a quick google search of del boy hutches co accused in the cash in transit job should point you in the right direction

yea your right i dont know why people are thinking that a quick google search of del boy hutches co accused in the cash in transit job should point you in the right direction

He's from sheriff street too!
    http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/gary-hutch-s-brother-and-pals-at-risk-of-cartel-attacks

the media are saying the intended target got a ten year sentence for a cash van robbery maybe this will clear it up

www .herald .ie/news/courts/im-still -alive-shouts-pal-of-robber -shot-dead-by-gardai-as-hes-sent-to-jail -27957441 .html

i cant post links because im a new user but copy and paste and take the spaces out and it should work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

One of the biggest problems on the streets of Dublin at the moment are drugs that can be bought legally but are sold illegally.

This is something that I've been thinking about over the last few weeks-the trade in benzos is centred around the north inner-city, emanating specifically from the flat complexes around Buckingham St. from where it's spreading down to more central parts of town. It's an open secret who rules the roost down that area, even if they're supposedly retired or were never involved in drugs.

The illicit trade in these pills is no longer a matter of people getting prescriptions then selling them on or small packages coming in the post off the internet-users are taking these pills in doses unheard of to medical professionals anywhere in the world-I read before that some users are taking up to 80 a day-and so they are obviously being brought into the country by someone in industrial quantities. Ask anyone working professionally with drug users in Dublin and they will tell you that benzodiazepines are now the substance of choice for addicts, having overtaken heroin a few years ago.

The trafficking itself is low risk-the drugs are produced and exported professionally and legally abroad and a crime only happens when someone is caught with a large amount of them in Ireland. Once a large shipment has been broken up and distributed amongst lower level dealers the gardaí can't do much in terms of seizure or charges and even if they get someone in court the penalties are light. I'm taking a total stab in the dark here, but I'm guessing that the pills are being brought in via the same channels as cigarettes and other non-narcotic contraband, not your traditional cocaine and heroin routes.

So, could all this be the source of or a large factor in the recent trouble? Is someone making so much money that others have decided they want a piece of the action? Has the traditionally lucrative heroin market dried up as addicts no longer need as much or any at all, and now some people want it back open? Have certain parties been given a free ride in the media over the years as to the nature and extent of their criminality? What is the involvement of former and current republican subversives?

• Advertisement

He's from sheriff street too

and the killer cycled off and dumped the bike and made off on foot seems very likely he was from in and around the same area himself the southsiders money could be buying them northside hitmen

Ahh Mr Hutch!!

Tell us who the bullets were for????

bubblypop wrote: »
    Ahh Mr Hutch!!

Tell us who the bullets were for????

for a man who shares the same surname as a very good jockey

I remember when judges wore wigs.

Not your ornery onager

anyone hear anything about who the victim was he was a homeless guy from what im hearing

sabat wrote: »
    So, could all this be the source of or a large factor in the recent trouble? Is someone making so much money that others have decided they want a piece of the action? Has the traditionally lucrative heroin market dried up as addicts no longer need as much or any at all, and now some people want it back open? Have certain parties been given a free ride in the media over the years as to the nature and extent of their criminality? What is the involvement of former and current republican subversives?

So many question (marks)?

Answear: Zimmoframe.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

the media are saying the intended target got a ten year sentence for a cash van robbery maybe this will clear it up

www .herald .ie/news/courts/im-still -alive-shouts-pal-of-robber -shot-dead-by-gardai-as-hes-sent-to-jail -27957441 .html

i cant post links because im a new user but copy and paste and take the spaces out and it should work

Funnily enough the main man on the Hutch side with the big vendetta managed to get a suspended sentence for his involvement in a "cash in transit" raid. And then there's the two brothers, one of whom was actually caught with in a raid with a Hutch.

I see headlights in the future.

Not your ornery onager

Funnily enough the main man on the Hutch side with the big vendetta managed to get a suspended sentence for his involvement in a "cash in transit" raid.

you wouldnt be talking about the man in drag here would you?

herald just did a write up on it this was part of it

Elsewhere, tensions were at breaking point between locals and gardai in the direct aftermath of the murder.
    A group of men and women attempted to attack a member of gardai and threatened several others within yards of the wheelie-bin where the weapon used in the murder was found.
    The incident took place less than half an hour after the shooting, when a young man fled from a detective up Sheriff Street Lr and on to Seville Place.
    The man then came out of the house, took off his jacket and aggressively moved towards the detective in an attempt to begin a confrontation. Several others also left their houses and shouted abuse at four gardai present.
    The area was at the centre of a separate feud some 15 years ago, involving the Christy Griffin gang, which took the lives of five people.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement