Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

humberklog wrote:
    That attack last night was interesting. It shows a good level of intelligence gathering and audaciousness. To get assassins into that area, get a kill and get out at such a time of heightened alertness was really quite something.

I could be totally wrong but I'd imagine that the lads that actually pulled the trigger are even more lowlife than the gang members themselves? I would have thought that they get idiots to do the dirty work for a few bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Not much tit for tat about it..... I make it 5-1 to the Kinahans to date.

That's not an impressive score by Mexican cartel standards.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    I could be totally wrong but I'd imagine that the lads that actually pulled the trigger are even more lowlife than the gang members themselves? I would have thought that they get idiots to do the dirty work for a few bob.

Maybe. But it's still getting armed people into a very risky area and out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Capone79

WhiteWalls wrote: »

I doubt they will receive actual money.. More than likely wipe the slate on an ounce or two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

3 simple ones to start with...
    • Freeing up Gardaí from doing mundane desk work that could have all been done with either computers in the patrol car or tablet computers out in the field.
    • Tracking of all mobile phone activity of known criminals and their associates to see what area they are in and police that area accordingly.
    • ANPR throughout the motorways and Dublin city would track curently stolen and cars currently being chased.

Only a few months back everyone was up in arms with the fact that the Gardai were accessing phone records

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Only a few months back everyone was up in arms with the fact that the Gardai were accessing phone records

Plus any criminal worth his salt will use a burner.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Capone79 wrote: »
    I doubt they will receive actual money.. More than likely wipe the slate on an ounce or two!

The problem there though is the risk of errors occurring and having someone vulnerable getting caught and giving information to the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Don't expect much to be done about this unless there's another Shane Geoghegan scenario, working class people are hated and derised in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Maybe not, but this isn't Mexico.

And it's still a lot more tit than tat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

bubblypop wrote: »
    Dissidents don't exist in Dublin?
    Your gas!

They most certainly do, in fact this particular dead dissident was supposed to be in the special criminal court this Thursday, for a sentencing hearing.
    Trials in the special criminal court are being listed for 18 months later, that's how busy it is, there is in fact a 2nd special criminal court opening soon to relieve the pressure on the one.

So, maybe you know a few lads who like to pretend to be in the Ra, but there are many members of dissident organisations in Dublin, and throughout the country.

Ever heard of Ronan McLoughlan? aka Riddler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

BattleCorp wrote: »

It's not a competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Has anyone a rough idea how much the Kinahans are worth?
    Odd question I suppose, but I was told a figure today, and it seem not credible. Massive amount.
    I didn't ask for a "link" :P and it wasn't the type of person I wanted to question. I asked where did they hear it but a few others were talking at the same time and it went unheard.
    No doubt it would all be guessed, but I mean to the closest €1, €5 or €10 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Allyall wrote: »
    Odd question I suppose, but I was told a figure today, and it seem not credible. Massive amount.
    I didn't ask for a "link" :P and it wasn't the type of person I wanted to question. I asked where did they hear it but a few others were talking at the same time and it went unheard.
    No doubt it would all be guessed, but I mean to the closest €1, €5 or €10 million.

About three fiddy

xabi wrote: »
    About three fiddy

That even seems like a crazy amount to me, but at least a bit more normal.

I was told close to €900 million. Heading for the Billion this summer :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

That even seems like a crazy amount to me, but at least a bit more normal.

I was told close to €900 million. Heading for the Billion this summer :eek:.

Three Fiddy was a guess ;) I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Allyall wrote:
    Has anyone a rough idea how much the Kinahans are worth? Odd question I suppose, but I was told a figure today, and it seem not credible. Massive amount. I didn't ask for a "link" and it wasn't the type of person I wanted to question. I asked where did they hear it but a few others were talking at the same time and it went unheard. No doubt it would all be guessed, but I mean to the closest €1, €5 or €10 million.

When Paul Williams was on the late late show after the regency incident he did mention a figure but it escapes me. It was a very interesting piece he did in fairness. He claimed that they are one of the major drug cartels in Europe

HensVassal wrote: »

Ronan mcloughlin? Shot dead in a foiled armed robbery in Wicklow? 18 years ago?
    Yep I know him.
    I must be missing some point here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Silly question I know but why are the Gardai not watching the pubs these people frequent the area these people are operating in is very small

I heard a report on some radio station today, sorry cannot remember which one that said an armed Garda patrol was parked around the corner from the Sunset.

Now that made me think....did they know something might happen, were they trained up enough to deal with it, or did they just say feck it, let them at it.

Noirin, over to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

HensVassal wrote: »

aka Riddler? Are you making this guff yourself or is that a Paul McWilliams/Jim Cusack special?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I heard a report on some radio station today, sorry cannot remember which one that said an armed Garda patrol was parked around the corner from the Sunset.

Now that made me think....did they know something might happen, were they trained up enough to deal with it, or did they just say feck it, let them at it.

Noirin, over to you.

or perhaps they just happened to be in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

# Name: Net Worth:
    4. John Cunningham – Net Worth €50 Million
    3. Christy Kinahan – Net Worth €50 Million
    2. Thomas Murphy – Net Worth €60 Million
    1. George Mitchell – Net Worth €70 Million

Kinahan is behind Slab Murphy in terms of net worth, but that may change while Murphy is in jail. Fuel laundering and cigarette smuggling are as lucrative as drug smuggling.
    Figures quoted of Kinahan heading for 1 billion net worth are just Sunday World salacious speculation. The Mexican cartels are operating at that Pablo Escobar level, but Kinahan is no where near it.

or perhaps they just happened to be in the area.

Of course. It is routine to have an armed patrol around there, I forgot that, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Of course. It is routine to have an armed patrol around there, I forgot that, sorry.

ah sorry, i didnt realise you had intimate knowledge of the movements of armed gardai.

ah sorry, i didnt realise you had intimate knowledge of the movements of armed gardai.

Which is exactly my point.

If armed patrols are NOT routine, why were they just around the corner when the assassination took place?

No connection with crime/security/gardai etc. Just an observer of things that happen, as you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

^^
    I would have thought it would be the norm (for now) for armed patrols to be in the general area of Ballybough, summer hill and Sheriff st. No?

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    ^^
    I would have thought it would be the norm (for now) for armed patrols to be in the general area of Ballybough, summer hill and Sheriff st. No?

Yes, I would have thought so too.

Seems, like the Regency killing that the Gardai are around alright, but not much intervention to be seen. So what is the actual point of it all? Optics maybe?

I am not criticising the Gardai, but the management really. They call it surely.

So as I said, has Madam Commissioner made a statement on the matter yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

1 thing I've wondered since reading about this is it said in Sunday World
    Gerry paid 250k to spare Gary's life but then Kinahans reneged on this and wanted another 250k ??
    Why start all this over 250k if there worth 900million ?????

Compared to the Mexican Sinaloa Cartel, El Chapo could buy and sell the Kinahans or use them as errand boys! The Mexican cartels cut people's heads off,chainsaws,Swiss army, butter, any knife really, day in, day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Amazing how all these 'hitmen for hire' can swan around freely, their known by the media and gardai....you see the reports linking them to the death of A, B and C

if I was known to be driving with no tax and insurance I'd be up in court in the morning.....if I was known to have shot dead multiple people? ...bit trickier that one :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

Compared to the Mexican Sinaloa Cartel, El Chapo could buy and sell the Kinahans or use them as errand boys! The Mexican cartels cut people's heads off,chainsaws,Swiss army, butter, any knife really, day in, day out!

They work in tandem. They are one of the biggest drug cartels in the world. They have connections in every corner of the earth.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-kinahan-gangs-links-to-cocaine-empire-of-feared-el-chapo-syndicate-34610034.html

poa wrote: »
    # Name: Net Worth:
    4. John Cunningham – Net Worth €50 Million
    3. Christy Kinahan – Net Worth €50 Million
    2. Thomas Murphy – Net Worth €60 Million
    1. George Mitchell – Net Worth €70 Million

Kinahan is behind Slab Murphy in terms of net worth, but that may change while Murphy is in jail. Fuel laundering and cigarette smuggling are as lucrative as drug smuggling.
    Figures quoted of Kinahan heading for 1 billion net worth are just Sunday World salacious speculation. The Mexican cartels are operating at that Pablo Escobar level, but Kinahan is no where near it.

Where is your source for that? I mean its alright saying about Sunday World speculation but you honestly believe Slab Murphy has more money than Christy Kinahan? Lol.

CAB had a hard on for him for over 10 years and in the end it was only a 190k tax bill. Kinahan Sr has more companies and property than can even be accounted for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

JustTheOne wrote: »
    There is definetly certain people on the take. These gangs are two steps ahead of the law.

Paul Williams seemed to ask the same questions in his article after the Sunset shooting last night when he wrote
    Logically it would be first assumed that he was likely murdered by an associate of the Kinahan side. If that is true, there is a really chilling extra dimension to this feud: the Kinahan gang seems to know as much about the investigation as the gardaí.

humberklog wrote: »

That attack last night was interesting. It shows a good level of intelligence gathering and audaciousness.
    To get assassins into that area, get a kill and get out at such a time of heightened alertness was really quite something.

We had Eddie Hutchs murder in the area only 3 days after the Regency while the whole city (or at least that part of it) was supposed to be on Garda lockdown. Yet still four armed men in a stolen car could drive up the North Strand with virtual impunity, murder Hutch and then leave the area.

Then last night while the Garda are still on high alert and there is supposedly an armed Garda unit on duty around the corner another assassination takes place, again right under their noses and in a pub very well known to Gardai. The getaway vehicle is found in Drumcondra so yet again the hitmen got in and out of an area that had a high level of alert, all in a stolen car and with guns on board.

Muahahaha wrote: »

We had Eddie Hutchs murder in the area only 3 days after the Regency while the whole city (or at least that part of it) was supposed to be on Garda lockdown. Yet still four armed men in a stolen car could drive up the North Strand with virtual impunity, murder Hutch and then leave the area.

Then last night while the Garda are still on high alert and there is supposedly an armed Garda unit on duty around the corner another assassination takes place, again right under their noses and in a pub very well known to Gardai. The getaway vehicle is found in Drumcondra so yet again the hitmen got in and out of an area that had a high level of alert, all in a stolen car and with guns on board.

The prospect of what you are hinting at is truly chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Wouldn't be the first time. You'd be surprised at what happened in wee Donegal over the years.

Paul Williams seemed to ask the same questions in his article after the Sunset shooting last night when he wrote

The Kinahans are paying off the guards? Well some of them!

• Advertisement

With the ridiculous sums of money involved and whats been happening, intelligence leaks, and gardai nearby and disappearing at the right time, alot of people will be thinking the same. The will isn't there politically or within the Gardai to tackle this, it will continue. The silence from O Sullivan and Frances Fitzgerald on this and inaction, is deafening. Neither are up to the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭gangstergossip

500 mil in property anyway and thats not mentioning the cash they have buried around the place their aim is meant to be to be the first billionaire crime family in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

News are reporting a man has been shot and killed in Cork now another one injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

schizo1014 wrote: »
    News are reporting a man has been shot and killed in Cork now another one injured

paschal sheehy tweeted that it may have been accidental

I think the point is that these people are not a bit afraid of the gardai or of getting caught.

There was an armed checkpoint near the sunset house pub only ten minutes before this shooting.
    There has been a huge increase in armed Garda patrols and checkpoints in Dublin, and particularly around this area.

So, why does this have no affect on the gangland activities?
    It has to be punishment. These guys know the chances of being convicted are slim, the chances of actually doing any long term imprisonment are extremely slim. Prison is just a little inconvenience they might have to put up with for a short time.

Judges don't hand out long sentences, that's if they even get convicted. Gardai find it hard to prove guilt even though they know the perpetrators in the majority of cases. Ordinary people are not willing to go to court & testify against these people.
    They are afraid for themselves, for their families. Gardai cannot offer around the clock protection to all witnesses.

Even if against all odds, someone is convicted, the chances of reprisals are too high for witnesses to risk.
    Everyone wants to look after their own.

What is the answer? I'm not sure.
    I don't believe a single thing, like more armed guards would do it, they're not scared of guards & wouldn't think twice about shooting one.
    Ordinary people standing up for their community against these thugs? Hard when they cannot be guaranteed protection.
    Judges handing out longer sentences? I think this would be a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah it is certainly. I'm scratching my head how these murders could have taken place in a highly sensitive area during a time of high alert. Stolen cars with armed occupants just drive into an area, commit a murder and drive back out again.

However it must also be said that the best way (from a policing perspective) to prevent gangland assassinations like Eddie Hutch and Michael Barr is not after shots have been fired, its before. The only way to prevent these killings is to have advance intelligence of them through a network of informants. Clearly the senior Gardai have a deficit of intelligence on what is going on and who is planning what.
    The Kinahans are paying off the guards? Well some of them!

I think it is a possibility there are a few moles in important positions in the Gardai. I hope it is not true because if there is they are putting the lives of the public and their own Garda colleagues in danger.

But consider it from the Christy Kinahan perspective. While people might argue if Kinahan is worth €90m or €900m what we can all agree on is that it is a huge amount of wealth he is sitting on. Personally I don't believe the €900m figure but I do think it is in the hundreds of millions that he is worth. My reasoning is that the CSO value the Irish narcotics and prostitution trade at €1.25bn, per year, every year. its a huge market and Kinahan is undoubtedly at the top of the narcotics take. Irrespective of whether or not he is a big player in a European sense he is one in an Irish sense and is getting a major slice of a huge drugs market
    Prostitution and drugs accounted for €1.258bn to the country’s economic activity last year, according to the Central Statistics Office, which is refusing to divulge how it estimates the economic impact of illegal activity.

The Government has been forced to revise how it accounts for economic activity following a new regulation from the EU Commission requiring all member states to include the ‘black market’ in their final tally.

In the case of Ireland, 2013 nominal GDP increased from €164.1bn to €174.8bn. The narcotics and prostitution trades accounted for €1.258bn of this increase.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/sex-and-drugs-help-add-euro12bn-to-gdp-274271.html

From those figures of a market worth €1.25bn per year, every year, Kinahan is getting his slice, and then some. For me it is not inconceivable that he is worth at least €500m at this stage. So put yourself in his shoes, you have an illegal fortune of €500m and you need to protect your drugs business from its two main threats- the Gardai and other criminal gangs. Why wouldn't you allocate €10m or €20m of that fortune for counter-intelligence purposes? You'd be mad not to IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭septictank

Man shot in Clondalkin named as Thomas Farnan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I knew a guy called the Mexican once. He nearly took the head off me for slagging his moustache.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would be amazed if some senior Guards, Revenue, etc aren't being paid off or being blackmailed. Most historical cases like these involve a degree of corruption. The Gardai are a perfect target as there is no effective body investigating the Guards.

Ireland is rather like the UK was back in the old days. Now, if you make a complaint about an English policeman, you can do so in the knowledge that it will be investigated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Discodog wrote: »
    I would be amazed if some senior Guards, Revenue, etc aren't being paid off or being blackmailed. Most historical cases like these involve a degree of corruption. The Gardai are a perfect target as there is no effective body investigating the Guards.

Ireland is rather like the UK was back in the old days. Now, if you make a complaint about an English policeman, you can do so in the knowledge that it will be investigated.

We saw with the "revelations " about Mansfield over the weekend that there is no way in hell you could build up an empire like that without the state turning a blind eye

I think the state would collapse if the true amount of corruption with criminals was known by the public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

We saw with the "revelations " about Mansfield over the weekend that there is no way in hell you could build up an empire like that without the state turning a blind eye

I think the state would collapse if the true amount of corruption with criminals was known by the public

I was just about to post something similar. There was no security around Weston Airport, light aircraft coming and going as they pleased and no Garda or security presence. That is what struck me on several occasions when I went for lunch there. There was no security whatsoever, I could have hopped on a plane no problem many times. There is a lot more known to authorities about what is going on now that is being revealed. When and if Prime Time cover this it will be apparent what they include and what they leave out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Augme

You make what they did sound difficult. I'd say with a bit smarts and preparation it would actually be quite easy to do and wouldn't take any inside knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

It's clear as day what's going on.

Look at the gards success against dissidents in the last few years.

They are well capable when they want to.

For whatever reason they are doing sweet fa to tackle these gangs.

They should post a couple of Gardaí on every route in/out of Drumcondra. It seems to be where every car used in a hit, is found burnt out.

Why is none of this sh"t happening on the Southside?

Must be a ghetto of sorts for the crims North of the river.

But the Southside Inner city must have similar things going on, yet it seems quiet enough for now.

Apart from the Wild West that is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement