Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

bajer101 wrote: »
    He might get released, but he's fúcked. It will take a lot more than his "hard earned" BMW car and motorbike to help him escape from this one. He got a nailed on GIM last week that left him shítting. It will be interesting to watch how his former party try to distance themselves from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Here's a crazy idea. The government could decriminalise all drugs and instantly remove the control from these criminal gangs. These murders wouldn't happen. Crime would be down. Garda resources would be freed. The money that is saved could be pumped into education and rehabilitation. Drugs are far too serious to be left in the hands of criminals. And best of all, Paul Williams would be out of a job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

This definitely won't be the end.
    We are talking about gangs here with plenty of pals and sympathisers.
    Someone else will step up when there's an opening.

I can't understand why any sane person would want to get involved in this since most of these people will be dead before they're 35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Simon2015 wrote: »
    I can't understand why any sane person would want to get involved in this since most of these people will be dead before they're 35.

If your on social welfare since 18 and have no job prospects ever nor wish for any it's a good career path.

Jaysus, I have always earned big money legitimately, but even I have been impressed with these lads driving 5 series or big Lexus' with secret compartments and these lads are nearly immune to the law. They get waved through checkpoints cos they have the law in their pockets. If you're on the dole, the temptation of that sort of lifestyle is a no-brainer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Jaysus, I have always earned big money legitimately, but even I have been impressed with these lads driving 5 series or big Lexus' with secret compartments and these lads are nearly immune to the law. They get waved through checkpoints cos they have the law in their pockets. If you're on the dole, the temptation of that sort of lifestyle is a no-brainer.

I'd much rather be on the dole then be dead or in jail.

These guys might get rich for a few years but it will catch up on them in the end.

These guys might get rich for a few years but it will catch up on them in the end.

That's you. But for every one of you there are ten who will choose the other road. You also forget that there are plenty of people who engage in crime and drug dealing and don't get caught. Crime does actually pay. If it didn't, no one would do it. I know, maybe 50 drug dealers who have never been arrested and probably never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

I know, maybe 50 drug dealers who have never been arrested and probably never will.

I barely know 50 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,528 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I barely know 50 people.

That doesn't mean you are not a known associate... :eek: :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

That's you. But for every one of you there are ten who will choose the other road. You also forget that there are plenty of people who engage in crime and drug dealing and don't get caught. Crime does actually pay. If it didn't, no one would do it. I know, maybe 50 drug dealers who have never been arrested and probably never will.

Do they know you like to talk about them on boards?
    Oh and who knows 50 drug dealers? Are you a crime reporter or a member of a political party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

arayess wrote: »
    it failed in it's main objective to kill DK
    but they killed david byrne instead and caused a disruption to DK's illegal and boxing businesses.

David Byrne was a lot more significant to the kinahan cartel than anybody the kinahans have got on the other side.
    aside from the emotional pain of course of loved ones being killed.

Bar Patrick Hutch and AOD they still have their full compliment of members free and out and about.
    They would have known there would be a back lash from the kinahans and they didn't have similar resources to mount a tit for tat war.
    They would have known that they could only rely on precise attacks rather than the scattergun approach of the kinahans.

If you look at how this has played out in what has actually happened - one side looks amateur and the other looks professional.

a junkie on a bike ffs versus an organised plan with automatic weapons...

not saying the hutch factor will win it's just that I wouldn't call time on the battle yet.
    maybe an army of junkies on bikes will win against a smaller group who knows?

In the game that these people play in ,getting killed or arrested is par for course, so disruption is expected and usually if you have the millions these lads have, catered for.

The boxing was just a hobby for dk, it's still going on as there have been two shows since, one in Spain and one in UK.

When you have an organization like the cartel, everybody is replaceable and no one person controls everything.contary to media speculation.

The IRA and hutches would have expected a backlash ok but not as fearsome as its come,since the hotel attack it's the hutches that have been running scared as they been hunted all over Ireland,U.K.and Europe.

Michael Barr was a huge scalp for the kinahan as it was allegedly that he was involved with the Dublin ra in there support and organizing of this attack with alleged help of that lad arrested in the airport,it also showed the ra that the kinahans don't give a **** who they think they are, if you were involved in the attack you are a target.

It's also noted that no major republicans attended the above funeral which in republican language speaks volumes and the color party was actually arrested and there names from Dublin plastered all over the media.

The only innocent victim in this so far is the poor lad, Martin o rourke,without disminshing human life,all the others were players and should have known better than staying in there own houses.

Of course I could be totally wrong in all this as this is just my view from what I have been reading and heard :-) so without a doubt I am open to correction.

Do they know you like to talk about them on boards?
    Oh and who knows 50 drug dealers? Are you a crime reporter or a member of a political party?

Maybe he a customer and shops around :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    How on earth would/could you know this :confused:
    What! How could you possibly not believe all the rubbi.., I mean concrete facts that are posted here!

If your on social welfare since 18 and have no job prospects ever nor wish for any it's a good career path.
    If you have a conscience and any respect for yourself or others and if you get up off your ar$e and get a job then no you don't get into this. All this glamourising of these thugs is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Funny how the Independent reports that the 'Monk's Nephew' has been charged. not Gary Hutch's brother, and his apparent motive to gain revenge for the slaying of his older sibling

Proves nothing more than a rag paper creating celebrities out of these scrotes, and making a soap opera out of it

Then going on to describe how the Regency hotel shooting created this bitter feud. Eh lads... the shooting of one Gary Hutch on the Costa del Sol created this mess. Absolute gutter journalism

• Advertisement

flanzer wrote: »
    Funny how the Independent reports that the 'Monk's Nephew' has been charged. not Gary Hutch's brother, and his apparent motive to gain revenge for the slaying of his older sibling

Proves nothing more than a rag paper creating celebrities out of these scrotes, and making a soap opera out of it

Then going on to describe how the Regency hotel shooting created this bitter feud. Eh lads... the shooting of one Gary Hutch on the Costa del Sol created this mess. Absolute gutter journalism

I thought it was the shooting of the boxer Jamie moore outside a villa in Spain that really kicked it of and opened a can of worms...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2716225/Former-boxing-champion-targeted-gangland-style-attack-Spain-Light-middleweight-turned-TV-pundit-armed-guard-hospital-shot-legs.html

I thought it was the shooting of the boxer Jamie moore outside a villa in Spain that really kicked it of and opened a can of worms...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2716225/Former-boxing-champion-targeted-gangland-style-attack-Spain-Light-middleweight-turned-TV-pundit-armed-guard-hospital-shot-legs.html
    That would be the first incident in this feud.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rondog

this started when there was a major drugs bust in the UK which GH was overseeing.The K's lost a large sum of money on that deal.That is why they took the large sum paid by the Hutch's and realised that it wasn't enough.GH was a marked man after that and this feud had already started then.

As for wanting the life these guys lead,i can tell you it can seem VERY attractive for some one on the Dole who has his money spent after 3 days gambling and boozing.

I know of a couple of lads who make a nice living and have never been so much as questioned by the guards.They don't flaunt the wealth but have been to nearly all the Mcgregor fights in Vegas and stayed in top hotels and lived it up for 10 days. The same people regularly travel abroad to see Liverpool play and have also been at many champions league games,again,staying in luxury hotels not to mention have been snowboarding 3 times this year.

Its certainly not the life for me not knowing if that knock on the door is the guards but I can see why some would follow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Speculation on twitter that one of the 50 somethings arrested has a first name that would remind you of a cartoon mouse and a surname like where a rabbit lives.

So

Micky Burrows?
    Speedy Warren?

I know! I've got it

Itchy Hole....or maybe his brother Scratchy Hole? :D

this started when there was a major drugs bust in the UK which GH was overseeing.The K's lost a large sum of money on that deal.That is why they took the large sum paid by the Hutch's and realised that it wasn't enough.GH was a marked man after that and this feud had already started then.

As for wanting the life these guys lead,i can tell you it can seem VERY attractive for some one on the Dole who has his money spent after 3 days gambling and boozing.

I know of a couple of lads who make a nice living and have never been so much as questioned by the guards.They don't flaunt the wealth but have been to nearly all the Mcgregor fights in Vegas and stayed in top hotels and lived it up for 10 days. The same people regularly travel abroad to see Liverpool play and have also been at many champions league games,again,staying in luxury hotels not to mention have been snowboarding 3 times this year.

Its certainly not the life for me not knowing if that knock on the door is the guards but I can see why some would follow it.

• Advertisement

rondog wrote: »

If the only reason someone would not engage in peddling drugs and misery is 'not knowing that knock on the door is the guards' then they are not much better than the thugs who do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

This thread is home to quite a few Walter Mitty type individuals, keyboard detectives and crime culture enthusiasts that need to reel it in a bit and come back down to Earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Den_M wrote: »
    This thread is home to quite a few Walter Mitty type individuals, keyboard detectives and crime culture enthusiasts that need to reel it in a bit and come back down to Earth

Hey!!!! I resemble that remark!

If the only reason someone would not engage in peddling drugs and misery is 'not knowing that knock on the door is the guards' then they are not much better than the thugs who do it.

Before you jump on the moral high ground ,there are other reasons which are obvious that I didn't go into as my point was to convey why people might get sucked in by the trappings of wealth ,it wasn't to list down the reasons I wouldn't become a drug dealer.

Den_M wrote: »
    Not everyone gets their info from tabloid newspapers and there are many people who are aware of the goings on and that have actual people who would know about this stuff.The things tht go on are actually known by a large number of people.You don't traffic drugs and commit hits without numerous people being involved and not everyone is tight lipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

About 2 weeks ago I was over on Sth Circular Rd. 2 ERU jeeps and armed units standing on both sides of the road early on a Saturday morning. It was very close to Griffth College. They left, came back and set up a gardai checkpoint stopping cars and then left again. Normal gardai further up the street also towards Rialto.

Any of these boys living up this direction?

JG lives just down the road from Griffith college.

They are setting up roadblocks on main road arteries.Anyone that runs from the roadblocks are followed an assumed guilty such as what happened to Patrick hutch and JG last Friday.If you remain in traffic and get up to the gardai they will check you for guns,drugs etc.All intel gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

They are setting up roadblocks on main road arteries.Anyone that runs from the roadblocks are followed an assumed guilty such as what happened to Patrick hutch and JG last Friday.If you remain in traffic and get up to the gardai they will check you for guns,drugs etc.All intel gathering.

What JG? PH's mate? Or Mr.Big?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Have you see the mod warning in post #1? I'd suggest looking at it.
    tomofson wrote: »
    What JG? PH's mate? Or Mr.Big?

Don't answer that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Just happened to watch the programme on Veronica Guerin last night - I had recorded it
    about two weeks ago when it was broadcast.
    It was really depressing to see how she had railed about all the criminals who were roaming about freely in full sight, having no visible means of support, yet driving flash cars and living in mansions. She said everybody knew who they were but nobody was doing anything about it. Then, she was shot dead, almost twenty years ago, on June 26th, 1996. Immediately, the government jumped into action. CAB was set up and criminals were hounded and rounded up. I felt very sad for Veronica's widower, Graham Turley, as he stated that it is all happening again - known drug dealers flaunting their ill gotten gains in full view of the community and the law. History is always meant to repeat itself, it seems. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

The lad charged, was he the fella on winning streak ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

No that was Ross Hutch. He was representing his brother Eddie. They're the sons of Eddie Snr. who was shot dead.

He certainly wasn't supporting Israel bombarding Gaza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

I wonder what happened to all the innocent people who were in the Regency when the shooting occurred. Would they have received counselling or any help at all, must have been very traumatic for them. I think there was a court case brought by the Regency looking for compensation for loss of earnings, would they have been sued for what happened there.

I wonder what happened to all the innocent people who were in the Regency when the shooting occurred. Would they have received counselling or any help at all, must have been very traumatic for them. I think there was a court case brought by the Regency looking for compensation for loss of earnings, would they have been sued for what happened there.

Nobody receives counselling for witnessing any sort of tragic event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Who could the Regency bring a court case against??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Who could the Regency bring a court case against??

Rhetorical question alert! Don't answer! Don't answer! The thread will be shut down if you do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Just happened to watch the programme on Veronica Guerin last night - I had recorded it
    about two weeks ago when it was broadcast.
    It was really depressing to see how she had railed about all the criminals who were roaming about freely in full sight, having no visible means of support, yet driving flash cars and living in mansions. She said everybody knew who they were but nobody was doing anything about it. Then, she was shot dead, almost twenty years ago, on June 26th, 1996. Immediately, the government jumped into action. CAB was set up and criminals were hounded and rounded up. I felt very sad for Veronica's widower, Graham Turkey, as he stated that it is all happening again - known drug dealers flaunting their ill gotten gains in full view of the community and the law. History is always meant to repeat itself, it seems. :(

Or else not enough is been done. I'd love to see a proper set of commandos set up to deal with these ****ers once and for all. Harrass the crap out of them. Drag them and their families out of their beds in the middle of the night, drive them demented. Destroy their ill gotten gains. I don't care. Your involved in drugs, destroying other families so lets see how you like it. The drugs crisis in the city is unacceptable and guards targeting the low level dealers is not working. The head needs to be cut of the snake. No tolerance approach required, our current approach is not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Or else not enough is been done. I'd love to see a proper set of commandos set up to deal with these ****ers once and for all. Harrass the crap out of them. Drag them and their families out of their beds in the middle of the night, drive them demented. Destroy their ill gotten gains. I don't care. Your involved in drugs, destroying other families so lets see how you like it. The drugs crisis in the city is unacceptable and guards targeting the low level dealers is not working. The head needs to be cut of the snake. No tolerance approach required, our current approach is not working.
    I'd be interested to see what the ICCL (and the targets' lawyers) would make of that approach.

Can't see it getting too far, tbh.

FalconGirl wrote: »

No approach so far has worked including the above, You think the garda don't be raiding houses every day and night around the country ? The only approach that hasn't been tried and would definitely cut of the head of the snakes is a controlled legalising of some of the now illegal drugs, But no one has the balls to push for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Here's a crazy idea. The government could decriminalise all drugs and instantly remove the control from these criminal gangs. These murders wouldn't happen. Crime would be down. Garda resources would be freed. The money that is saved could be pumped into education and rehabilitation. Drugs are far too serious to be left in the hands of criminals. And best of all, Paul Williams would be out of a job!

I was watching 'The Guards' during the week, and it was absolutely clear on how much of Garda resources and time was spent fighting against the tide of fairly petty drug dealing. Just imagine if the Gardai didn't have to do this, and could spend that time fighting other crime and our road safety issues.

True, but if most of your community seems to die before they hit 40 from addiction anyway, the life of the dealer probably seems like a decent option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Legalising drugs will not put these lads out of business.
    They'll just start other illegal businesses.

They haven't the education or work ethic to earn money any other way.
    It's fallacy to suggest that legalizing drugs will fix the problem but having said that I believe that Cannabis should be decriminalised as it would prevent young people getting criminal records for possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

It's fallacy to suggest that legalizing drugs will fix the problem but having said that I believe that Cannabis should be decriminalised as it would prevent young people getting criminal records for possession.

I'm sure they put more work into their financial gains then many a normal folk on there 37-39 hour week!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

There is an American series called "Prohibition" about when alcohol was illegal in America. Its well worth a watch and will certainly make you consider if drugs being treated as alcohol then was is the way to go.

The parallels are there writ large and Prohibition was got rid of because of all the problems it caused.

The present system of drug control is not working and is bringing with it out of control gangsterism.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Why not have a bigger crackdown on ports/airports to stop the importation in the first place?

Tobacco is legal in this country.
    It hasnt stopped criminals smuggling & selling tobacco on the black market.

I'm not sure legalising drugs would result in taking the criminals out of drug dealing.
    There's too much money to be made, legal or not.

Also, where would the country get these drugs? Would the government sell them? Would they licence certain companies to sell them?
    Would they do business with criminal gangs in other countries such as Bolivia or Colombia?

It's just not that simple

bubblypop wrote: »
    Tobacco is legal in this country.
    It hasnt stopped criminals smuggling & selling tobacco on the black market.

I'm not sure legalising drugs would result in taking the criminals out of drug dealing.
    There's too much money to be made, legal or not.

Also, where would the country get these drugs? Would the government sell them? Would they licence certain companies to sell them?
    Would they do business with criminal gangs in other countries such as Bolivia or Colombia?

It's just not that simple

Its not simple but its very doable. All the main drugs are available for medical use and most are out of patent and cheaply obtained. All thats needed is for addicts to get their fix at specific centres, much like methadone but using 'real' drugs.
    This will take the oxygen from the dealers and stop all the petty crime, which for the public, is the main undesirable aspect of the drugs business.

The government should also legalise and control brothels as well, which would also kill this source of income and reduce trafficing.

Smuggling will not be stopped unless prices/taxes are equalised but its less lucrative than heroin/cocaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

That's the problem with the outlook on drug dealing most people think of tracksuited fellas peddling drugs when the reality is that it is highly intelligent and highly structured by college and university type people and its stretches far and wide into all sorts of business and corporate worlds! Drug dealing is not in the corners it's in boardrooms! It's huge business and very well run and organised.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement