Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What do people think Enda should do?

Invite the guys over for a cup of tea and tell them what bad boys they are and that they should stop all this shooting.
    He might even suggest they give up drug dealing and take up a job bridge place to learn a new trade.

Its up to AGS to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭i8mancs

How do you know the car they took away was a 7 series?

On the RTE 6:01 news, that and a vw passat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Yeah, sure what do we need the Special Criminal Court for? Aren't they trying to scrap it for some reason?

If sinn fein had their way.

Too many liberal lefts, all about the poor criminals human rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How do you know the car they took away was a 7 series?

RTÉ Six One News showed it on the back of the tow truck with the Passat on the front of it. What they have done is the same level of feck up with the description as saying the car was a Ford Focus when it was a Ford Mondeo.

If you look at 4mins 30 you will see it here on the Player, it's 100% a 7 Series...

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/six-one-news-30003249/10577216/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

JustTheOne wrote: »
    It's ridiculous to think the leader of a country is responsible for crime in the country.

Just think about it, the world over, there is murder crime rape etc.

So the leader of all these countries is to blame for it all.

Absolutely silly argument.

Sure there is no gangland crime according to a leader of a certain party.

My point had nothing to with that gobsh1te from mayo

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

I know this may sound far fetched but I wonder if Dowdall and his father are being tried in the Special Criminal Court just so the Government and Gardai can sneer at Sinn Fein.

I know their entitled to be tried there but alot of gangland related stuff isn't. Im not a Shinner either btw, but nothing would surprise me. Kenny loves sneering at them lol. Wonder what the charges are, withholding information?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭Benevolent Misanthrope

Bambi wrote: »
    Historically politicians and gardai have never gotten too worked up about the goings on of drug gangs
    Jim Mansfield ("self-made billionaire" - who owned an airport) never seems to have had an ounce of trouble from what was usually a FF administration.

And of course Northern Ireland is riven with 'former' republicans making merry criminal fortunes with SF in government.

I know this may sound far fetched but I wonder if Dowdall and his father are being tried in the Special Criminal Court just so the Government and Gardai can sneer at Sinn Fein.

I know their entitled to be tried there but alot of gangland related stuff isn't. Im not a Shinner either btw, but nothing would surprise me. Kenny loves sneering at them lol. Wonder what the charges are, withholding information?

He ain't with sinn fein.

He ain't with sinn fein.
    I know he left because of being bullied, but the association is there and Kenny will get a few digs in over it no doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Jim Mansfield ("self-made billionaire" - who owned an airport with no customs checks...) never seems to have had an ounce of trouble from what was usually a FF administration.

And of course Northern Ireland is riven with 'former' republicans making merry criminal fortunes with SF in government.

He's dead, but the drug's coming into weston during the boom, unchecked. they all knew about it

• Advertisement

Kenny does not decide who gets prosecuted for what.

It's funny that some posters accuse him of controlling who gets prosecuted for what for political advantage, while others blame him for not being in charge of investigating and prosecuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

This is the letter that Gareth Hutch wrote to the Welfare Officer he was meeting this morning about his request for a housing transfer. This put a more human face on the situation for me.
    “You should be aware of the background issues surrounding my family and I have been advised by the Gardai about my personal safety.

"I live on the first floor in the complex and there is a back balcony which is accessible from ground floor level and is also at a point in the complex which is not covered by CCTV.

"The fact that this black spot gives unrestricted access to my balcony is a cause of concern to me.

"The situation surrounding my family and the security issue at my flat are the exceptional social circumstances under which I am making this application.

"This situation is a cause of worry, concern and anxiety for me and more importantly, is possibly putting my child at risk.

"This is the most important issue for me and for this reason I am asking for a welfare priority and transfer from the flat.

"The ideal situation would be that I can stay within the complex as I have many good friends and neighbours there who look out for me and my son.

"I understand that there may be some vacancies coming up in the complex and the flats involved are much safer.

"I am on the transfer list and getting a priority would obviously speed up the transfer process.

"I would be happy to discuss my situation with you on a confidential basis at any time and I hope you give this application your expert consideration."

"Kind regards

"Gareth Hutch."

source
    http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/gareth-hutch-wrote-shocking-letter-11381201

bajer101 wrote: »
    This is the letter that Gareth Hutch wrote to the Welfare Officer he was meeting this morning about his request for a housing transfer. This put a more human face on the situation for me.
    Indeed. Probably written by his solicitor. I wonder did Gareth Hucth spare as much thought for the victims of his own crimes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

source
    http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/gareth-hutch-wrote-shocking-letter-11381201

Hardly a big player if he had to go cap in hand to that shower looking for a roof over his head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

So the guy that handed himself in today for that murder; will he spend the night in the same prison as the Father and Son who are in court tonight?

If Enda refuses to do anything about this, because he is "unable" :( , I dread to think how powerful those criminals will be in ten years time.

I know he left because of being bullied, but the association is there and Kenny will get a few digs in over it no doubt

of course, sure you think it was coincidence slab Murphy was in court on election polling day???? perception!! reality!!

The councillor Niall Ring helped him write the letter I believe, he wrote it yesterday with him in the office. He was interviewed on UTV earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Indeed. Probably written by his solicitor. I wonder did Gareth Hucth spare as much thought for the victims of his own crimes?

From the article:
    The worried dad-of-one penned the letter with the help of local councillor Nial Ring to appeal to Dublin City Council for help moving flats.

Hardly a big player if he had to go cap in hand to that shower looking for a roof over his head
    Why pay for his own place when he can get the rest of society to pay for him? It would free him up for...other activities.

It was written with the assistance of Councillor Noel Ring. Regardless of his previous crimes he made the point that he had a child and that his child was also at risk. That child is now without a father.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

The only way the ''cartel'' is every getting brought to its knee's will be by one of their own turned state witness,It will happen eventually someone will get caught on serious charges and shop all off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Why pay for his own place when he can get the rest of society to pay for him? It would free him up for...other activities.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind spending a few quid out of hes own pocket to safe hes life if he had it. Seems to be genuinely hard for some people to accept most of these people are not in serious profit.

rusty cole wrote: »
    of course, sure you think it was coincidence slab Murphy was in court on election polling day???? perception!! reality!!
    Nobody forced Gerry Adams and Mary Lou to stand up for Murphy and tell us what a great (criminal) guy he is. We all know that 'former' IRA terrorists are up to their necks in organised crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

A ridiculous thing for him to say, quite an eejit he is. Goes to show how little he and the political class give a toss about what's going on

It's up to the gards to stop this not enda Kenny.

People really need to stop blaming our government on every single thing in this country.
    If only we didn't have sutch a badly managed, corrupt and incompetent garda service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

I presume the person who handed them selves in is the person who's house was raised around the corner?

I presume the person who handed them selves in is the person who's house was raised around the corner?

Who handed themselves in, missed that, I mean in relation to what crime?

Is it this? Nothing about handing themselves in there

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/man-arrested-connection-gangland-murder-8042722

Seems to be. I initially thought that maybe he handed himself in so quickly to show that he was innocent, but it looks like he has already been charged, which is unusual. Normally in these cases they are held for a few days and say nothing and are then released. Things seem to be moving a fair bit quicker in this case.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/man-arrested-connection-gangland-murder-8042722
    Sunday world and independent are saying he handed himself in. Also saying police looking for one more

Seems to be. I initially thought that maybe he handed himself in so quickly to show that he was innocent, but it looks like he has already been charged, which is unusual. Normally in these cases they are held for a few days and say nothing and are then released. Things seem to be moving a fair bit quicker in this case.

Where are you seeing hes been charged?

Maybe hes been caught on cctv red handed at the house and murder scene would be my guess and knows hes done,or else wants to clear his name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

do you mean dowdall ? hard to keep track with all the gossip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/man-hands-himself-into-gardai-following-gareth-hutch-murder-today-34742466.html

this lad reagrding todays murder

only reason logically is he is afraid of his own crew turning on him.
    why else hand yourself to the gardai when you are looking at a long stretch for murder.

this could be interesting if he rats on people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

What do people think Enda should do?

He should apply the Assad approach to gangland criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Prime Time covering the killing on RTÉ1 tonight.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    He should apply the Assad approach to gangland criminals.

Ahhh how many times?

He doesn't control the criminal justice system, it's not how things work.

How can people be so dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

arayess wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/man-hands-himself-into-gardai-following-gareth-hutch-murder-today-34742466.html

why else hand yourself to the gardai when you are looking at a long stretch for murder.

If he handed himself in I would say there is a very good chance he will turn informer

tomofson wrote: »

If he handed himself in I would say there is a very good chance he will turn informer
    Can't see anything about him being charged anywhere. I'd say he handed himself in to prove his innocence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

When the Kinahan's flew in for David Byrne's funeral, apparently they strolled through Customs with bags of cash. Flamboyant funeral etc.

No Customs/Garda checks?

Why do they seem to be getting a softer approach from the Powers that be than the Hutch crew?

Fear? or other reasons?

tomofson wrote: »
    Odd that these dopes don't turn themselves in BEFORE murdering someone.

Just seen that, very interesting and odd. Honestly nothing surprises me anymore with this feud, today alone theres been non stop news. Being charged with an incident from 18 months ago, also never heard of the victim.

Remanded to Portlaoise. Looks like some sort of holding charge to get them off the streets, probably the safest place for them at the minute anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Ray Burkes Pension

Is anyone actually afraid of walking around in the north inner city (ie. the the city centre)?
    No I didnt think so.

Well done on community groups on hyping up the threat to normal people in an attempt to get some funding.

Just seen that, very interesting and odd. Honestly nothing surprises me anymore with this feud, today alone theres been non stop news. Being charged with an incident from 18 months ago, also never heard of the victim.

Remanded to Portlaoise. Looks like some sort of holding charge to get them off the streets, probably the safest place for them at the minute anyway

He's very camp looking for a criminal.

There is nothing odd about this feud.

One gang has the law in their pockets the others doesn't.

Simple as.

18 months it took for them to charge him,this appears to be a smear campaign to me.

There is nothing odd about this feud.

One gang has the law in their pockets the others doesn't.

Simple as.

it seems that way from as an onlooker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/former-sinn-fin-councillor-jonathan-dowdall-in-court-on-possession-of-firearms-with-intent-to-falsely-imprison-charge-34743975.html

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-men-to-appear-at-criminal-court-in-connection-with-murder-of-david-byrne-736910.html

breaking news seems to imply that it was related to the regency.

The man who handed himself in is possibly involved seen as the arrest in connection with the murder falls undersection 50

50.— (1) This section applies to—

(a) murder involving the use of a firearm or an explosive,

(b) murder to which section 3 of the Criminal Justice Act 1990 applies,

(c) an offence under section 15 of the Act of 1925, or

(d) an offence under section 15 of the Non-Fatal Offences against the Person Act 1997 involving the use of a firearm.

Not to clear his name or something to do with the house raid it appears.

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    He's very camp looking for a criminal.

Don't let looks fool you

Gamebred wrote: »
    18 months it took for them to charge him,this appears to be a smear campaign to me.
    Why? What is the usual timeline for preparing a case for the SCC?

Why? What is the usual timeline for preparing a case for the SCC?

He gets linked to the regency and all of a sudden someone comes forward from a year and a half previous to give a statement hmmm sounds fishy to me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement