Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another company trading under my name

Options
  • 05-02-2016 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Just a quick one.

My company have been trading under the same name for 32 years now. Well know brand in the local area.

Anyway, a local guy(lives 5kms from my office) has started trading under the same name as me. I keep getting his calls as people are googling him and getting me.

I called to him and he told me to my face that he would stop and it was only a temporary thing, but I am pretty sure he has no plans on stopping.

Anyone else been in this situation? what did ye do?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Hi all.

Just a quick one.

My company have been trading under the same name for 32 years now. Well know brand in the local area.

Anyway, a local guy(lives 5kms from my office) has started trading under the same name as me. I keep getting his calls as people are googling him and getting me.

I called to him and he told me to my face that he would stop and it was only a temporary thing, but I am pretty sure he has no plans on stopping.

Thanks.

Yes, happened to my company. If he will not cease trading you will need to contact your solicitor to further the issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Are you a limited company, a sole trader, do you have a registered business name, a trademark?

Is the other guy a limited company, a sole trader, any registered business name?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Is he offering the same type of services/products also or a completely different type of business?]

Are you a company or sole trader, do you know his status?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Are either entities Ltd companies? Are either Registered Business Names? A simple cease and desist letter from a solicitor should sort it as you had first use of the name will likely sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Mine is a limited company, with a registered trade name.

He is a sole trader.

Asked the CRO about it. got this response.

"Business names do not have name protection like companies and we will
    register any name required, if there is any dispute it is a civil matter
    between the parties involved"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You haven't stated if he is offering the same goods/services or not. There may be a case for him passing off as your company

Axwell wrote: »
    You haven't stated if he is offering the same goods/services or not. There may be a case for him passing off as your company

Sorry i missed your post.

No, his business is totally different to mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sorry i missed your post.

No, his business is totally different to mine.
    Then he can't be done for impersonation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

In addition to my earlier post we had our name trademarked and that's why the solicitor got the other guy to cease trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭adrianw

Nothing you can do, i'm afraid.
    There was a case back in 2006 where Jaguar Cars tried to stop Jaguar watches from using the name. As it is unlikely you will go online to buy a car and accidentally buy a watch, there is no infringement.

It seems harsh and almost pointless of registering a trade mark, but unfortunately they do appear to be the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭adrianw

Nothing you can do, i'm afraid.
    There was a case back in 2006 where Jaguar Cars tried to stop Jaguar watches from using the name. As it is unlikely you will go online to buy a car and accidentally buy a watch, there is no infringement.

It seems harsh and almost pointless of registering a trade mark, but unfortunately they do appear to be the rules.

So there is nothing that can happen without legal action. Thats pretty annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Mine is a limited company, with a registered trade name.

He is a sole trader.

Asked the CRO about it. got this response.

"Business names do not have name protection like companies and we will
    register any name required, if there is any dispute it is a civil matter
    between the parties involved"

There is no such thing as a registered trade name. Registered Trade Mark, yes, registered business name, yes. If the name is unique you might have been able to establish an unregistered trade mark by appending TM to it's use. However such trade marks offer only protection within the same class of trade, registered ones are more exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Hi all.

Just a quick one.

Thanks.

I got legal advice on this some years ago. A business set up with the same name, sole trader, same business as mine but 100 miles away. Anyway the advice was that i could take a "passing off" action against this other business. Luckily it didnt seem to work out for him as he sunk without trace.

Just my tuppence worth.

Advertisement