Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neutered male cat staying in doors

• 05-02-2016 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭

We have our cat for neatly 3 years, he was neutered as soon as he was heavy enough but he sprays (marking his territory I guess) everything!
    Got all my husbands trousers in the drawer today, no idea why or how to stop him. He hates other cats and as we live in an estate there are quite a few and he has fought with all of them, we end up in the vets a few times a year with infected cat bites on him.
    He is a lovely friendly affectionate cat but this is driving us mental. Thankfully it doesn't smell but its still not nice.
    Any thoughts or anybody have any ideas what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh no sounds horrible.. I feel your pain, our chap is prone to urinary infections and it is just cruel on everyone when he gets one...

Besides from locking him out of the rooms so he cant spray on what is in there, have you tried the Feliway plug ins or even sprays. This might calm him down in the house, if this is why he is spraying?.

There is also this breakdown spray you can get for their scent, you could clean the area with this to try and get his scent off it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I've tried removing his scent but it hasn't made a difference, its mostly around and near windows but I caught him at it in the hall beside the coats the other day. I can't lock him out as it's really every room and the thought of keeping him as an outside cat just makes me sad, he's such a pet

Milly33 wrote:
    Besides from locking him out of the rooms so he cant spray on what is in there, have you tried the Feliway plug ins or even sprays. This might calm him down in the house, if this is why he is spraying?.

I haven't heard of the plug or sprays so I must look them up, I asked the vet the last time he was there, her response was to either drug him so he's more placid or keep him outside, neither of which I liked the sound of

Oh no that would be horrible to drug him. He is obviously stressed out...

Our fella was kinda the opposite to you but still stressfull, we were trying to keep him in but he wanted to be out.
    While we tried to stop him he would start like this spraying so in the end we just let him out and sure his happy out now..

The plug-ins do work I must say. If ye know an interruption is going to happen in the house soon, like moving or having a big party or something. You are suppose to plug them in two weeks beforehand or whenever you can and they give off the calming effect to the cat.

here is a link to their site http://www.feliway.com/us/Feliway

You can buy in most pet shops but they can be expensive.
    Zooplus have a deal at the moment 2 refills for €35 euro not sure on the diffuser then itself but they are bound to be cheaper than the store.

They have sprays also...

The spray cleaner is one that breaks down the pee as such so it gets rid of what we cant smell, but what the cat might still smell Simple Solution it is called. Maxi Zoo do it and I am sure online too..

I hope you get some relief soon nothing worse, love hate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I've tried removing his scent but it hasn't made a difference, its mostly around and near windows but I caught him at it in the hall beside the coats the other day. I can't lock him out as it's really every room and the thought of keeping him as an outside cat just makes me sad, he's such a pet
    Sounds like extreme case of territorial insecurity; does he have high spots he can get to around the windows to look out? Clear routes allowing him to watch out while being high up is one way to make him feel more territorial secure in his home.

Secondly you said you tried removing his scent; what exactly where you using to remove it and how did you make sure you got it all? Because with cat pee the protein can be a killer and if all of it is not removed properly the smell will remain (for him!) to keep going there to enforce it.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote:
    Secondly you said you tried removing his scent; what exactly where you using to remove it and how did you make sure you got it all? Because with cat pee the protein can be a killer and if all of it is not removed properly the smell will remain (for him!) to keep going there to enforce it.

I have a black light torch and I used urine remover so definitely got it all, he is very territorial and hates other cats, he's always up on the window sills looking out or sitting outside surveying his territory, I'm going to try the pheromones plug in and sprays to see if that helps and if not I'll just have to live with it and keep scrubbing!

Hope they plug in works now.. With that simple solution stuff there is something in it as such that breaks down the urine too take the scent away that he would smell, thats why i was saying that is good.. Poor chap he sounds very stressed at least you arent given up on him which is nice to hear

Advertisement