Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work problem, kind of

Options
  • 05-02-2016 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

just looking for some advice on the following:

i have a reasonable amount of training and skills in area "x" which is a very interesting industry to work in, from my point of view. i worked in in since i was a school leaver and always enjoyed my work.

now, a few years ago in the downturn i lost my job in "x" industry and went back to college to retrain and got a degree in a different field that i actually don't like nearly as much as i thought i would. to do this degree i relocated to the other side of the country.

to finance that degree i got a part time job working in a retail outlet near home. just a weekend job that i traveled back and forth to, but it payed well and was quite stable, the people were nice etc etc.

now, the last few months i've been re-applying for jobs in "x" industry while still living away from home and finally just the other day got a good offer; my problem is this: i know that due to family circumstances i will have to relocate back home at the end of this year.

my thoughts are, should i:

- keep my very mediocre, low hours, low skill but very very secure retail job, because i know i'l need it when i got back home and spend most of this year on a low income with a lot of free time.

or

- accept this shiny new job in an area i am already skilled in, with better hours, better pay, with a subject matter i enjoy and the opportunity to get back up to date within the industry knowing full well i will have to leave it in under 12 months and will then be taking my chances all over again in the jobs market.

i have no kids and no mortgage, late 20's but can not bare the thought of ever being unemployed again.

i would welcome thoughts on this. i know my retail job can offer me a "career break" which offers me up to 12 months unpaid leave but i would be re-entering my position on worse terms and conditions if i did return from it.

one particular thing that concerns me is, if i were to leave in sub 12 months would this new job give me a reference at all or is what i'm doing considered very poor form, to accept it knowing that i'm leaving? the nature if this job is that they are taking me on to hit the ground running based on my previous skills, so they won't be investing training in me etc.

any thoughts welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Take the new job, hit the ground running, and make the best of things. Get some solid experience under your belt.

Worry about later on, later on. You never know what might happen to your family circumstances between now and then: what may look obvious now might have some unexpected things happen. If you have to quit your job because of family circumstances, quit when you need to and explain it based on those circumstances at the time.

That's what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Take the new job, hit the ground running, and make the best of things. Get some solid experience under your belt.

Worry about later on, later on. You never know what might happen to your family circumstances between now and then: what may look obvious now might have some unexpected things happen. If you have to quit your job because of family circumstances, quit when you need to and explain it based on those circumstances at the time.

That's what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I would recommend you stay pout, depending on thge circumstances.

Are you needed at home more between now and then? As in will you regret not being home in the future?

What is your gut telling you, usually it will try to sway you in one direction?

I gave up a 25 year old career for a part time job, no where near the wages I was getting, due to family circumstances. There are days I wonder if I should go back, but the part time element more than makes up for the doubt.

Money is something you spend when you have it, I am time rich and cash poor and manage OK.

Its hard to give advice when the full picture ius not available but I would say, keep going as you are for now, in time more opportunities will present themselves and in the meantime, enjoy the time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

Take the new job. It's in the industry you want to be in, and the money and hours are better. Make the most of it and build up whatever experience you can. A lot can happen in 12 months. It sounds like the retail job will still be there for you to go back to if needs be. (Make sure to be on good terms with them when you're leaving).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I'd take the new job. It's not like you are going to leave after a few weeks, 12 months is decent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement