Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just came home to this. Any ideas?

Options
  • 05-02-2016 7:02pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just came home and noticed a burning smell.

I have an extension lead with a tumble dryer attached. Nothing else. Has been like this for approx. 3 years.

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

I've rand an electrician to come out and have a look. Not sure when he can come.

There is nothing in the plugs now. Anything else I should be doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

godtabh wrote: »
    Just came home and noticed a burning smell.

I have an extension lead with a tumble dryer attached. Nothing else. Has been like this for approx. 3 years.

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

I've rand an electrician to come out and have a look. Not sure when he can come.

There is nothing in the plugs now. Anything else I should be doing?

Needs new socket and get one installed close to the tumble dryer so no extension needed. The extension was probably poor quality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Would the fact we got a letter about over heating tumble dryers in the post yesterday have anything to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

Would the fact we got a letter about over heating tumble dryers in the post yesterday have anything to do with it?

Was the filter of the dryer cleaned out before you used it last? I've experienced a similar burning smell before and narrowed it down to the filter, hadnt been emptied for 2 or 3 runs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

its emptied every time its used

• Registered Users Posts: 82,864 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As a side note you shouldn't have the paper instructions left on the plug.

• Advertisement

As a side note you shouldn't have the paper instructions left on the plug.

Could that have caused it?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,864 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could that have caused it?

I'm no electrician but I don't think so, it looks like something made the live connection short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

An electrician is the only one that's going to be able to tell you for sure.
    Very frightening to come home to that. By the looks of it I Wouldn't say it was far off starting a fire.

luckily it burnt its self out before any serious damage occured.

Have some one coming over for 8. Sent him the same photos above and he says he hasnt seen anything like it

luckily it burnt its self out before any serious damage occured.

Have some one coming over for 8. Sent him the same photos above and he says he hasnt seen anything like it

• Advertisement

He must not do to much electrical work if he's never seen that before!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭subpar

looks like loose connection in the live terminal of the plug top caused sparking / overheating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I'm no electrician but I don't think so, it looks like something made the live connection short.
    n

Nope, most likely cause was a loose connection, either in the plugtop or in the socket.

Replace the socket and plug if you ever see heat marks on a plug.

subpar wrote: »
    looks like loose connection in the live terminal of the plug top caused sparking / overheating

My guess would have been the neutral connection in the plug, it is the most damaged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Deep Six wrote: »
    Was the filter of the dryer cleaned out before you used it last? I've experienced a similar burning smell before and narrowed it down to the filter, hadnt been emptied for 2 or 3 runs.

Clearly the burning smell in this case is from the burning connection between the plug and socket. Most often caused by weakened contacts in the socket which don't grip the plug pins tight enough, either from old sockets, or poor quality ones. Loose connection in the plug can also cause it, but the photos suggest a bad contact between plug and socket contacts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

My guess would have been the neutral connection in the plug, it is the most damaged?

If neutral was damaged I would look for a very serious wiring fault that could dump live current into the neutral circuit for long enough to melt it. Unless a goat wired the house and there is no circuit breaker, this cannot happen.
    What does happen a lot with extension leads and washing machines/dryers, the socket is on the ground (bad, BAD idea!) and washing up liquid leaks on top of it or there's a water spillage (or both) and you get the result seen in the OP.
    OP already mention lose wire, 99.9% it's the live wire. Probably been arcing away for some time and now it finally burned the last few strands of wire resulting in this charred mess.

EDIT

Please disregard this post, I must have been drunk! Mixed up neutral and earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

It's not the neutral it's the live. You can clearly see the live in the plug top has been burnt.

Could also have been the extension lead being too small. A large load like a tumble dryer over a period of time on a small cable in the extension lead causing it to overheat. Heat transfered to plug top causing it to burn.

If neutral was damaged I would look for a very serious wiring fault that could dump live current into the neutral circuit for long enough to melt it. Unless a goat wired the house and there is no circuit breaker, this cannot happen.
    What does happen a lot with extension leads and washing machines/dryers, the socket is on the ground (bad, BAD idea!) and washing up liquid leaks on top of it or there's a water spillage (or both) and you get the result seen in the OP.
    OP already mention lose wire, 99.9% it's the live wire. Probably been arcing away for some time and now it finally burned the last few strands of wire resulting in this charred mess.

Should any of that have caused a trip?

JonnyM wrote: »
    It's not the neutral it's the live. You can clearly see the live in the plug top has been burnt.

Could also have been the extension lead being too small. A large load like a tumble dryer over a period of time on a small cable in the extension lead causing it to overheat. Heat transfered to plug top causing it to burn.

It was a 13 amp fuse. Again if this was the issue should it have tripped the switch?

The lad coming over later suggested that this may have been the cause. The dryer might have drawn less amps that what the plug was rated for but as it was on for so long may have caused it

JonnyM wrote: »

Have another look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I has a very similar incident where the burning was a lot worse,also with a tumbler drier. It burned right through a double socket even though the drier still had its sealed plug - I. E. It was unlikely to be the plug.
    In the 6 months prior to this, we went through 3 mira shower motors, all replaced under warranty.
    A day after that, the oven wouldn't power on.

Turns out the landlord got his untrained brother to wire the house previously after a major renovation, and he hadn't tightened properly most of the connections behind a good few sockets. Most were just pushed in and not tightened at all. In the case of the socket connected to the drier, the current was trying to cross a narrow path and caused serious overheating and fire.

If neutral was damaged I would look for a very serious wiring fault that could dump live current into the neutral circuit for long enough to melt it.

The current that flows through the neutral pin of the plug is supposed to be exactly the same as the current flowing through the live pin!

Only the earth pin shouldn't have current flowing through it (but nevertheless needs to be able to carry the current)

Should any of that have caused a trip?

A loose connection unfortunately will not cause a trip.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If neutral was damaged I would look for a very serious wiring fault that could dump live current into the neutral circuit for long enough to melt it.

This makes no sense. The tumble dryer is a single phase device, this means that the current flowing in the neutral conductor is equal to the current flowing in the phase (live) conductor.

Unless a goat wired the house and there is no circuit breaker, this cannot happen.

A "circuit breaker" (normally an MCB in a domestic installation) is a device that is designed to detect an overcorrect condition, it is not designed to detect a fire / over heating on the circuit.
    There is nothing to suggest that the current flowing was excessive. Typically an MCB for a socket circuit in a domestic installation is a 20A B type.
    This means that even if 25A was drawn for a prolonged period the MCB would not trip. If the tumble dryer was drawing that sort of current the fuse in the plug would have blown.

It was a 13 amp fuse. Again if this was the issue should it have tripped the switch?

No. The most likely cause is a high resistance connection such as a loose connection within the plug or socket or weakened contacts in the socket as has already been suggested.

Remember the formula for heat in Watts is I^2 x R
    Where I = current (generally high for a tumble dryer)
    and R = the resistance

So even a small resistance can cause quite a bit of heat as heat is proportional to the square of the current.

The dryer might have drawn less amps that what the plug was rated for but as it was on for so long may have caused it

Not likely.
    The plug has a 13A fuse and you have been using it for years.
    Unless you have an unusually large industrial type tumble dryer that is.

You could always Google the make and model, get the kW rating and work out i=f the load is excessive for a 13A plug top if you want to be 100% sure.

As has already been pointed out it is ill advised to:
    1) Leave the paper on the plug.
    2) Permanently use an extension lead on a tumble dryer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I wouldn't think so myself. It's a 2 wire connection no more likely to burn at the phase or neutral pin from any upstream problems. It's a bad connection with a relatively high load in socket term's, on it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most likely the solution is very simple:

1) Replace the socket outlet with a quality socket outlet. I would suggest MK.

2) Replace the plug with a quality plug such as MK.

3) Stop supplying the tumble dryer (or similar appliances that draw a large current) with an extension lead for protracted periods. This may mean that you require a new socket to be installed closer to the tumble dryer.

4) Inspect the other sockets and plugs for damage, paper, signs of wear, loose connections etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Were you running the tumble dryer while not home? If so let it be a lesson to you.

I'd never leave the dishwasher / washing machine / tumble dryer running when I'm not home. I thought that's normal practice?

Rackstar wrote: »
    I thought that's normal practice?

Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

2011 wrote: »
    Not for me.

Well it should be, you're running a risk by doing it.

"NEVER leave your dryer, washing machine or dishwasher running unattended or overnight. They are a fire risk because of their high wattage, friction and motors."

Above quote from fire and rescue service below.

http://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/Assets/1/Tumble-Dryer-leaflet.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Rackstar wrote: »
    Well it should be, you're running a risk by doing it.

Above quote from fire and rescue service below.

http://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/Assets/1/Tumble-Dryer-leaflet.pdf

from the above :
    There has been a sharp increase in the number of appliance fires in business premises so it is important to consider the following information carefully :

maybe some of the appliances got a bit of help

Advertisement