Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just came home to this. Any ideas?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The electrician has been and gone.

He reckons it was the extension lead.

He test the remaining socket and there was no breaks in that.

Took the socket out. No damage on the other side. All damage was inside the pin hole (or what ever it is closed).

He tested the circuit board by inverting a plug which caused it to trip.

He replaced the socket and is coming back to fit another plug in the utility room.

I might move the tumble dryer to a room at has its dedicated plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I take it you void the warranty if you cut off a molded plug top off a new appliance?

I do hate those type sockets with a passion, MK, hager or click curva are the way to go .

Should a fellow carry out an IR test on the circuit also, I'd be a worried about the extent of the damage if any behind the socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I hope he didn't test the rcd with a "inverted" plug top with a neutral to earth short, if that's what's it's called this days 😯

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I hope he didn't test the rcd with a "inverted" plug top with a neutral to earth short, if that's what's it's called this days 😯

I dont know exactly what he did

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Bruthal wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so myself. It's a 2 wire connection no more likely to burn at the phase or neutral pin from any upstream problems. It's a bad connection with a relatively high load in socket term's, on it.

Actually, forget what I said, I mixed up neutral and earth. I swear this never happens! Sorry, my bad!
    I will fix my post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Does the tumble dryer extension lead plug get taken out on a regular basis so the socket can be used for other things?

If yes, and on a regular basis, that maybe a factor in this overheated socket, ideally, high current devices like dryers and the like are best left with the plug in the socket and not regularly being swapped.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Does the tumble dryer extension lead plug get taken out on a regular basis so the socket can be used for other things?

If yes, and on a regular basis, that maybe a factor in this overheated socket, ideally, high current devices like dryers and the like are best left with the plug in the socket and not regularly being swapped.

Yea that definitely can be a factor alright on sockets regularly plugged in and out of when higher load devices are used, especially with lower quality sockets.

No. I'd say its been un plugged a handful of times over a 3 year period

godtabh wrote: »
    No. I'd say its been un plugged a handful of times over a 3 year period

Did anything ever spill on it? We fried an extension lead once when clothes washing up liquid spilled on it.
    How's the drier? Does it work with another lead? If it had a short, it could have fried the socket.

Even if the socket end of the extension lead is submerged in a tank of water, and it managed to stay on without tripping the rcd, it won't affect the plug of the lead in another socket.

This was caused by bad connection(s), not an overload. And water won't cause an overload really, unless there are large metal plates close together in the water.

A socket with a plug in it itself being soaked, would cause problems for that plug and socket, but not a plug on a lead supplying the soaked one.

• Advertisement

Even if the socket end of the extension lead is submerged in a tank of water, and it managed to stay on without tripping the rcd, it won't affect the plug of the lead in another socket.

This was caused by bad connection(s), not an overload. And water won't cause an overload really, unless there are large metal plates close together in the water.

A socket with a plug in it itself being soaked, would cause problems for that plug and socket, but not a plug on a lead supplying the soaked one.

Fair point.

Fair point.

It certainly would cause serious problems for any plug and socket that's actually subject to the water and detergent etc alright,.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This was a loose connection on the neutral connection in the plug. It was already said, just want to re-affirm that.

I've seen a lot worse in panels and seen fires caused because of it, count yourself lucky you found it before the worst happened :)

I'd go for arcing between the socket contact and the plug pin myself, in absence of a good close look.at the plug. But its all the one. It's a failed connection anyway which is certain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'd go for arcing between the socket contact and the plug pin myself, in absence of a good close look.at the plug. But its all the one. It's a failed connection anyway which is certain.

I'd disagree, most of the burning was in the plug housing. If it was in the socket then there would be less carbon in the plug.

Steve wrote: »
    I'd disagree, most of the burning was in the plug housing. If it was in the socket then there would be less carbon in the plug.

My opinion would be that it's more likely to have the large area contact to pin in socket arcing enough to get pin so hot as to destroy the socket and plug, than it is for the much smaller multi strand flex to arc onto terminal in plug, and last long enough without burning away, long before destroying both socket and plug.

There is a fair chance the relatively more massive plug pin was heated to almost red hot by arcing inside socket, and this caused damage to the connection in the plug as well.

The socket itself appears distorted, suggesting internally generated heat.

Overall, it shows signs of breakdown of connections in both socket and plug. But the pin looks oxidised which suggests it must have been almost glowing hot.

We will have to disagree on that so :)

We will have to disagree on that so :)
    Agreeing to disagree suggests a solidly made up mind. I'll keep a more open one myself in the absence of the dismantled socket.

Agreeing to disagree suggests a solidly made up mind. I'll keep a more open one myself in the absence of the dismantled socket.

I agree, without seeing first hand the plug and socket, we cannot tell. However, 20+ years of experience has to count for something? :)

However, 20+ years of experience has to count for something? :)

Hmm, you're only a young fella:D

• Advertisement

:D
    Hmm, you're only a young fella:D

Sorry lads. Plug/socket are in the bin now

godtabh wrote: »
    Sorry lads. Plug/socket are in the bin now

Not many would open them. I opened them myself when I came across the same myself. Its rare enough I seen them though.

Advertisement