Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anybody do the motorcycle test (Category A) on an Yamaha MT-07?

• 05-02-2016 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Looking to do the Category A test on an MT-07 until I read the minimum requirements for the test.

The law states the following "Motorcycle, other than with twinned wheels, without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 595 cm3 , and an engine power of at least 50kW, and with an unladen mass of at least 175kg. Where the motorcycle has an electric motor the power to weight ratio shall be not less than 0.25 kW/kg."

The MT-07 is 689cc and 55Kw. The only official weight is specified as 179 or 182KG with ABS. I think that this includes fuel and fluids.
    With a 14l tank the dry weight is closer to 165kg.

Anybody know if what is meant by unladen mass (weight)? Does it include fuel? One definition I read said it is the dry weight another says it can include 5l of fuel in the case of motorcycles.

Based on the same EU directive (2012/36/EU) the UK seem to allow this bike for A category testing purposes (MT-07/MT-07A).
    dft.gov.uk/motorcycle-test-vehicle-list/

By the looks of it this bike may not be valid for the test which is crazy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The tester won't have a scales ;) but he may well have an RSA list of bikes not valid for the test. Give them a call.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Looking to do the Category A test on an MT-07 until I read the minimum requirements for the test.

The law states the following "Motorcycle, other than with twinned wheels, without sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 595 cm3 , and an engine power of at least 50kW, and with an unladen mass of at least 175kg. Where the motorcycle has an electric motor the power to weight ratio shall be not less than 0.25 kW/kg."

The MT-07 is 689cc and 55Kw. The only official weight is specified as 179 or 182KG with ABS. I think that this includes fuel and fluids.
    With a 14l tank the dry weight is closer to 165kg.

Anybody know if what is meant by unladen mass (weight)? Does it include fuel? One definition I read said it is the dry weight another says it can include 5l of fuel in the case of motorcycles.

Based on the same EU directive (2012/36/EU) the UK seem to allow this bike for A category testing purposes (MT-07/MT-07A).
    dft.gov.uk/motorcycle-test-vehicle-list/

By the looks of it this bike may not be valid for the test which is crazy.

The MT-07 is grand for the test. They will allow anything above 175kg for test. They say 180kg but allow a 5kg deficit. Unladen mass means you can't take things like luggage or extras etc into account good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

I contacted the RSA and the following is their answer

"I can confirm that the Yamaha MT-07 is suitable for a Category A(Unrestricted) driving test.

Below is the guidelines we follow for Unladen Mass:

1.5 . unladen mass
    means the mass of vehicle ready for normal use and equipped as follows:

— additional equipment required solely for the normal use under consideration,

— complete electrical equipment, including the lighting an light-signalling devices supplied by the manufacturer,

— instruments and devices required by the laws under which the unladen mass of the vehicle has been measured,

— the appropriate amounts of liquids in order to ensure the proper operation of all parts of the vehicle .

NB: the fuel and the fuel/oil mixture are not included in the measurement, but
    components such as the battery acid, the hydraulic fluid, the coolant and the engine oil must be included;"

Advertisement