Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cod liver oil capsules

• 06-02-2016 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi, someone recently recommended to me to give my dogs cod liver oil tablets to improve joints, muscles etc. just wondering if anyone does this or knows of a reason not to? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

http://canigivemydog.com/cod-liver-oil

Does your dog have arthritis or joint problems OP?

A lot of people here use salmon oil, I just feed tinned oily fish twice a week - sardines, mackerel, herring or kippers in tomato sauce from Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bluejelly

She has no problems at the moment, it's more of a preventative measure to be honest. I have looked around for salmon oil before but can't find it, I need to check online. I do feed her tuna in brine from Lidl once a week but will look at the other options you mention from there too, thanks!

I think you can get salmon oil on zooplus. I wouldn't feed tuna in brine as it would be very salty. Tuna in spring water is best but a little more expensive. The sardines and mackerel in Lidl are around 60 cent.

If you are getting salmon oil, keep it in the fridge once opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Healthy hounds have promotions all the time on their salmon oil - https://www.facebook.com/HealthyHoundsSalmonOil

...I'm actually trying krill oil atm but only started on it this week. I was getting some for my mum so got a pack for the doggies as well. :o

Thanks for the responses. I am going to leave the cod liver oil tabs for now & will check out those sites for the salmon oil, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

bluejelly wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. I am going to leave the cod liver oil tabs for now & will check out those sites for the salmon oil, thanks!

I buy mine off zooplus (when I'm ordering my kibble) as delivery is free for large orders. And I get my oily fish (mackerel/sardines) in Aldi. Fish heads free from the fishmongers!

Come to think of it, it's time to orde more from zooplus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I never recommend cod liver oil because too much can cause hypervitaminosis. Plain aul' fish oil is safer, OP! Remember to supplement with Vitamin E as well if giving fish oil - you can get Vitamin E capsules in Tesco, cheap as chips. Just remember correct dosage is extremely important. Some guidelines below.

From www.dogaware.com

"FISH OIL If I were to suggest any single nutritional supplement for dogs with arthritis, it would be fish oil (fish body oil, such as Salmon Oil or EPA oil, not cod liver oil). Fish oil provides omega-3 fatty acids that help reduce inflammation. They are beneficial no matter what type of diet you feed. Note that omega-3 fatty acids are fragile and break down quickly when exposed to light, heat or air, so just feeding a food that has omega-3 fatty acids added may not be helpful. Give as much as 1000 mg fish oil (300 mg EPA/DHA) per 10 lbs of body weight daily. Because fish oil depletes vitamin E in the body, you should also give vitamin E supplements whenever you supplement with oils of any kind. Give around 50 IUs to a small dog, 100 IUs to a medium sized dog, up to 200 IUs for a large dog, anywhere from daily to once or twice a week. See Fish Oil (Omega-3 Fatty Acids): a Proven Treatment for Canine Arthritis for information on two studies published in the JAVMA in 2010 showing how dogs with arthritis improve when given fish oil supplements."

boomerang wrote: »
    I never recommend cod liver oil because too much can cause hypervitaminosis.

You'd want to be massively overdosing to cause issues though to be fair. My vet recommended cod liver oil and when I looked into it I read that I'd need to be giving my two at least a cup of it a day to cause any vitamin issues..vitamins aside can you imagine the poos(!) :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The problem is people only guesstimate how much to give, when your average commercial diet already provides the dog with its daily need for vitamins A and D. It's not a risk I would take. It certainly shouldn't be given daily or indefinitely. Fish oils including cod liver oil are calorific which is another reason why chancing a glug of it on the food is not a good thing.

What food are you feeding OP, I was going to order salmon oil last time I ordered on zooplus but the food I ordered contains salmon oil so I figured that would be enough.

• Advertisement

She is on Gain Elite nuts & gets tuna once a week and boiled chicken about twice a week with veg.

It does contain fish oil already but it doesn't say how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

Do you take a few cups of it yourself?

Give the dog a good balanced diet and you will be fine. If the dog has actual joint problems do what your vet recommends.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

Give the dog a good balanced diet and you will be fine. If the dog has actual joint problems do what your vet recommends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

jeamimus wrote: »

just on this point OP - i would not buy what a vet recommends with regards to product wise -9 times out of 10 they will try and sell you products the have stocked in the clinics which is usually over priced and not the best product available- do you own research... you will / can find better products for better prices outside the vets clinic.

cocker5 wrote: »
    just on this point OP - i would not buy what a vet recommends with regards to product wise -9 times out of 10 they will try and sell you products the have stocked in the clinics which is usually over priced and not the best product available- do you own research... you will / can find better products for better prices outside the vets clinic.

Ah I disagree with this in part - yes do your own research but not all vets are out to rip people off. As I said my own vet recommended cod liver oil - probably because 90% of punters wouldn't have a notion to look for an alternative and it can be picked up pretty much anywhere. She could have easily tried to sell me a supplement they stock if she was out to make a few bob. We were actually there for a post op check after the growth was removed from Baileys chin but examined him from top to toe and went over his legs because I was worried about them - she didn't charge me either.

Not all vets are out to fill their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

I have a German shepard that did suffer with a sore hip, for the past 6 months- year i have been feeding him a tin of tuna every day mixed with his dry nuts. He has not had a problem since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Himself has a lurcher cross and I give her cod liver oil just mixed in with her food every now and again. She had rickets and her legs get sore after long walks so think it helps her, she gets a loverly shiny coat too.. I just pick up the big bottle of in Dunnes or Tescos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

what a day wrote: »
    I have a German shepard that did suffer with a sore hip, for the past 6 months- year i have been feeding him a tin of tuna every day mixed with his dry nuts. He has not had a problem since.

Tinned tuna actually doesnt contain much omega 3 at all, tinned sardines which are cheap enough, mackerel or obviously tinned salmon would be much better.

Advertisement